• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Buying dvc advice if someone asks about it

I broke even on my contracts years ago. At this point I am looking at my dues divided by 14 nights. It comes out to less than $200 a night to stay in one bedrooms and studios at deluxe resorts. I can’t figure out how the math is not working in my favor as some here would like me to believe. Something tells me emotions are blocking logic in this situation.

My advice is whatever you do don’t call it timeshare. Eyes glaze over.
LOL, that would be the first thing I'd say, because so many people (even some owners!) seem to take the name "Disney Vacation Club" literally and believe that it means being treated like VIPs and getting special deals on everything. If their eyes glaze over, it means we're done talking! But if they still want to talk about it, I'm with Tim above - I can't advise anyone to buy DVC or not buy, all I can do is tell them what I believe are the most important things to know about DVC ownership and then refer them to reliable sources of information.

No one should ever be in a position where any event involving a timeshare you purchased has the potential to be financially damaging. It's discretionary spending (and at the bottom of the discretionary list, and WAY below savings and retirement investments for long-term financial security).
Although I agree with all of the points you are making (I usually do), I do think there could be an instance where a person who is normally financially sound suddenly faces a crisis where they wish I had they money they spent on DVC. However, I do think that is probably rare.

LOL, that would be the first thing I'd say, because so many people (even some owners!) seem to take the name "Disney Vacation Club" literally and believe that it means being treated like VIPs and getting special deals on everything. If their eyes glaze over, it means we're done talking! But if they still want to talk about it, I'm with Tim above - I can't advise anyone to buy DVC or not buy, all I can do is tell them what I believe are the most important things to know about DVC ownership and then refer them to reliable sources of information.
Well there is a good reason you lose most people immediately when saying the word timeshare. Most timeshare products are pretty bad IMO as to holding value long term. DVC hasn’t had that issue so far.

Although I agree with all of the points you are making (I usually do), I do think there could be an instance where a person who is normally financially sound suddenly faces a crisis where they wish I had they money they spent on DVC. However, I do think that is probably rare.
No argument from me there. However, you shouldn’t be banking on the contract having value, and as you said, “wishing you hadn’t spent the money”. I’d argue the same could (and would) be said about anything they bought that exceeded some arbitrary price point. You’d just as likely be finding yourself ruing buying that new car when the old one was paid off and still “had a few good miles left in her”, or that 100” TV.

For most discretionary or aspirational purchases, you can’t unring the money bell. That DVC might offer the opportunity makes it rather unique in that regard.

I hope to use it for a few weeks during the winter also

As a fallback my daughter and granddaughter can use it for their vacation if we don’t

I am strongly leaning to buying however I want to make sure we are committed to using at least every 18 months

I am in research mode now and I will not be purchasing until at earliest February
Good Luck - - -
You might want to buy Resale First especially with the slight recent dip, as you can more easily match the Use Year that way, when adding Direct.

I broke even on my contracts years ago. At this point I am looking at my dues divided by 14 nights. It comes out to less than $200 a night to stay in one bedrooms and studios at deluxe resorts. I can’t figure out how the math is not working in my favor as some here would like me to believe. Something tells me emotions are blocking logic in this situation.
Ah - Now I'm amongst "My People"! :earboy2:
I've been using my DVC since 2011 and, by my simplistic calculations, I've broken even 3 times.
(Each time I've reached the break even point, I've suffered a relapse of addonitis! ) :D
As for not telling anyone, because of a fear of them not understanding ? - I have no shame in sharing from my personal DVC experiences. I wish my friends/coworkers that own DVC would have shared their experiences with me sooner. It's definitely not for everyone, but if you're going to be spending 4 to 8 weeks per year in Florida anyway, it provides a great alternative option. I'm not at the $200/Night yet, but I am approaching that point quickly. (& we've stayed in 3BR-GV and 2BRs a couple times, so the value is definitely there for us)

If it were my family member asking, the first thing I’d joke about is adding a zero at the end of the buy in cost, as an estimate of commitment. Basically triple it, then triple it again.

One of the cleverest things about DVC is the unique math to each potential buyer. There’s not one calculation that applies to all. Still, triple then triple does get across full ownership costs.

Buy RIV at $4 per point/year. Triple that because dues are $8.
DVC room cost is roughly a third of trip cost. Tickets is often another third (depending on family size) and food is the other third. Take a 200 buyin. Without financing, Using those points each year costs $2400. Tickets for 4 equals about that much. Food and other park related spending another $2400. To use those points each year at WDW estimated $7,200. Then travel costs… that’s how it’s easy to see adding a zero to the end of your buyin cost is ballparking expenses.

A 200 point RIV costs near $200 a point. $40,000. Add a zero… $400,000. Not everybody is comfortable with that loyalty. Just something to think about. If you stick with the contract, related spending will be many times more beyond buy in cost.

Again, I'm not going to tell people exactly what to do with their money. But "rent for a few years and then buy" has RARELY proven itself to be money-saving strategy.
Sure, if you assume DVC $/point stays on the rocket ship up it has been for years. That isn't an assumption I am willing to make. This is the kind of decision that can take time to make, especially for someone who isn't familiar with Disney or the resorts. I rented several times before I bought. And that's OK.

You don’t buy DVC, timeshare or not, to make money or to even be able to sell it later to get your money back, whether is some, all, or more.

If anyone is asking and that is their mindset then I agree they should not buy.

I have to (respectfully) disagree with this, because this is one of the reasons why we bought into DVC in the first place. When you are as turned off from timeshares like I am, the fact that DVC retains some value is extremely attractive, especially if you plan on going to Disney every year or so. We don't expect to make money, but knowing that it has value trumps the other timeshares. Put it this way: Would you rather buy a $30,000 car knowing that once you leave the lot, it will be worth $1 and you will have to pay for someone to take it from you? Or would you rather buy a similarly priced car knowing that you can sell it for a lot more and there is more demand for it on the resale market?

Of course, the DVC resale market could change, but this is one of the "pros" I mention to people who ask me about DVC after they understand that it's a timeshare. Of course, I make sure that they understand that they shouldn't expect to earn money or get your money back, but can you get more than $1 for it? Yes! A lot more!

I have to (respectfully) disagree with this, because this is one of the reasons why we bought into DVC in the first place. When you are as turned off from timeshares like I am, the fact that DVC retains some value is extremely attractive, especially if you plan on going to Disney every year or so. We don't expect to make money, but knowing that it has value trumps the other timeshares. Put it this way: Would you rather buy a $30,000 car knowing that once you leave the lot, it will be worth $1 and you will have to pay for someone to take it from you? Or would you rather buy a similarly priced car knowing that you can sell it for a lot more and there is more demand for it on the resale market?

Of course, the DVC resale market could change, but this is one of the "pros" I mention to people who ask me about DVC after they understand that it's a timeshare. Of course, I make sure that they understand that they shouldn't expect to earn money or get your money back, but can you get more than $1 for it? Yes! A lot more!

Truthfully, I would buy the car I want to drive and would not consider resale value as part of the equation.

We lease cars because we want a new one every three years which means we are pretty much at $0 every time we trade.

DVC is definitely a timeshare that has retained value and is different than others. And many people, myself included have benefited from a healthy resale market.

But that is different than having someone go in with the assumption that it is anything more than a timeshare whose value is in its use and not what you can sell it for later.

It’s why we had no issue buying RIV because it’s the one we love.

I never discuss resale value with people when talking about DVC because to me, it should not be part of the equation. But I do say that as long as WDW exists, one should be able to give/sell it unlike other timeshares that you can’t give away.

I guess it’s more that if one would be upset/disappointed if they had to sell it for a lot less than they paid, then maybe it’s not the right choice for their WDW vacations.

Last edited:
Truthfully, I would buy the car I want to drive and would not consider resale value as part of the equation.

We lease cars because we want a new one every three years which means we are pretty much at $0 every time we trade.

DVC is definitely a timeshare that has retained value and is different than others. And many people, myself included have benefited from a healthy resale market.

But that is different than having someone go in with the assumption that it is anything more than a timeshare whose value is in its use and not what you can sell it for later.

It’s why we had no issue buying RIV because it’s the one we love.

I never discuss resale value with people when talking about DVC because to me, it should not be part of the equation. But I do say that as long as WDW exists, one should be able to give/sell it unlike other timeshares that you can’t give away.

I guess it’s more that if one would be upset/disappointed if they had to sell it for a lot less than they paid, then maybe it’s not the right choice for their WDW vacations.
The number one reason people dislike timeshares is because they become worthless and you can’t give them away. Hence keeping people locked into the long contract and dues. Of course the fact that DVC holds a substantial amount of its value should be in the equation. No one is getting stuck locked in either. These are only the two main reasons people hate other timeshares.

Disney is as popular as ever and only appealing to more and more groups of people from all age groups everyday. It wasn’t that long ago that most people considered it just for young children. Not to mention a large portion of trips were one and done for families. Not anymore. It has become a lifestyle for many. I pay attention to the long term trends. And the trends are in Disney’s favor IMO.

Disney is much more than some brand new resort built somewhere that will inevitably be replaced by another brand new resort In due time. Again. Most other timeshares.

In reality DVC is the anti timeshare and should be discussed as such.

I guess if someone bought direct RIV and sold two years later the math won’t work but that is a small percentage of situations and I would consider an outlier like that unusual.

If someone gets to the point where they mathematically break even against what they would have spent paying rack rates or renting points it doesn’t matter if they get 100%. 50%. 25% of what they paid when selling their DVC. It is all gravy at that point. At which point changes the math in your favor again as money back is weighed against what you spent in total for all those trips over the years.

Imagine if I was a DVC guide……I would make bank.

Last edited:
After our first visit to WDW as a family and my first stay on the grounds (I went to WDW a lot as a child, but always stayed at Interval International timeshare properties that were nice back in the day but now look worse for the wear) my wife and I decided to buy into DVC. Sure, it is expensive upfront and the cost of visiting Disney will be costly each time we go, it's a way for me to create memories with my three boys. All three loved their time at WDW and we wanted them to have the chance to go every 12-18 months in better accommodations than we could afford if we were to pay cash. My wife and I save for retirement and college for our boys, so we aren't trading retirement funds for DVC. Additionally, I am terrible at taking vacations; I book them and then cancel them because I think the money should be used elsewhere or work stuff comes up. So I'm excited that DVC will help force me to take vacations and create new memories with my boys.

But DVC is such a big decision, both personally and financially, that I would just point an interested person to these boards rather than try to make a suggestion one way or another. I believe if a person is truly interested in DVC, they will be willing to spend the time gathering enough information to make the right decision for them.

What do you say when someone asks you about dvc?
I think @supersnoop has a good first step: "It's a timeshare." I'd go a little further, by giving my definition of what "a timeshare" is and, more importantly what it is not.

A timeshare is not a way to save money. That sounds hard to believe. After all, if I were to add up what it would have cost me to rent all of my timeshare stays on the open market, it would definitely have cost more money than I spent buying and maintaining my timeshares! But I'm certain that if I did not own timeshare, I would not have gone on many of those vacations---and that means I would not have bought all of those extra plane tickets, rental cars, restaurant meals, admissions, etc. etc.

Instead of saving money, I think of timeshare as doing two things: One, they are all prepaid and use-it-or-lose-it, and that acts as a way to force owners to go on vacations. Vacations become an important thing you plan other things around, rather than something you fit in when you have time. Two, they encourage you to upgrade your lodging in both form and function. I mean, I know people vacation in a hotel room, but I honestly have no idea how they do it, because we're pretty much always in a condo/villa/whatever. And, those condos/villas/whatevers are usually really very nice.

I'd then explain the downsides of a timeshare. First, they are more "self service" than "full service" kinds of places. Many timeshare owners use those kitchens, and so a timeshare resort is less likely to have a lot of restaurants right there. You typically do not have daily housekeeping, etc. etc. Second, timeshares don't exist everywhere, and if you want to do something that isn't a timeshare, you have to pay extra. But the timeshare is already paid for, so it can be hard to convince yourself to do that. Third, timeshares work best if you can plan in advance, and in this case "advance" probably does not mean what you think it means. I am already making plans for the first half of 2024, and already have one booking in place for that February. Fourth, timeshares carry the burden and risk of ownership. Those annual fees come due every year, and they are only going to go up. If something goes wrong with the property, you share in any losses. You do not get your money back if the resort has to close for an extended period of time. If the resort needs expensive and unplanned/unexpected repairs, you might need to pay for some share of them.

So, the questions I'd have a prospective buyer of any timeshare answer: Do you want to make a commitment to vacationing more often and more regularly? Are you willing to do that for a period of at least 5-10 years? Are you willing to take on the downsides of ownership in exchange for this? Is the ongoing cost something that fits comfortably within your discretionary spending budget? If so, then timeshare can be great fun.

Then, there's the DVC specific question: Do you want to make a comment to vacationing with Disney more often and more regularly? It's one thing to make vacation a priority. Here, you are making Disney vacations a priority. Unlike some other timeshares, Disney is always expensive to buy and to own, so there is rarely any reason to use DVC for something other than staying in a DVC resort. I mean, you can, but you'd've been better off doing that some other way than to use DVC points for whatever it happens to be. There are exceptions to this, but they are few and far between.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter