"buying points" for a reservation - how hard is it?

Spencerfamilynj

Mouseketeer
We're looking forward to reserving a trip and will be 23 points shy. Rather than borrow them from the next year, I've been reading the boards about one time "purchase" of points. I believe I read that this amount is within the limits.

Is this easily accomplished? Can you just charge it when you make the reservation? I know there are many experiences out there and hope someone can provide usual great DIS boards advice. Thanks.

Yes, MS will take the charge via CC. You can only do this at the 7 month mark, however, not at 11.

And, if what you want is not available and must wait list, you can't get the points for that.

Thanks. We're hoping to get it at 7 months out. Were lucky this year getting exactly what we wanted at HHI in August. We hope to have a little flexibility and get what we want. Is the price $10 a point?

I think that this option is really great for the members. It would be sooo frustrating to be just a few points shy of your planned vacation.

Thanks. We're hoping to get it at 7 months out. Were lucky this year getting exactly what we wanted at HHI in August. We hope to have a little flexibility and get what we want. Is the price $10 a point?

$10/point is a common price charged by members on these boards renting the use of their points. Direct from Disney it is $15/point.

Isn't there a max amount of points you can "rent" from Disney? So if you needed 27 but Disney only allows 25 from them you would still be shy 2.

The "one time use" points are very easy to do, but the previous poster is correct. You can only buy 25 of them in one use year.

I was down by 18 points last year. I tried to get them on the rent trade board but it was too difficult. So I bought the DVC points and never regretted it. This was for Marathon week and that whole weekend goes fast. I tried switching later on and they told me there was nothing available anywhere on that weekend. So I had peace of mind and a place to stay. It was worth the extra 5.00/point.

We did this for our upcoming trip. We had been in a "borrowing" cycle and I wanted to lessen this so, I did the one time purchase of the 25 points, just let ms know you want to do this and they will take your credit card info:)

I am so glad this was posted, I was going to ask the same question myself. Thanks for all of the answers that were given. We will be doing this next week.

The maximum # of "one-time-use" points is 24. They are $15@.

From the Member's website:

One-Time-Use Vacation Points​

See the details on how you can obtain a minimal number of additional vacation points to use towards your stay of choice.​

As a Disney Vacation Club Member, occasionally you may find yourself in need of just few extra vacation points in order to book that perfect dream vacation. Previously, this required borrowing vacation points from a future use year, but very recently a new alternative was introduced. They're called "one-time-use" vacation points and are available for a fee of $15 ($13.33 plus $1.67 tax) per vacation point. Availability of one-time-use vacation points may be limited or suspended from time to time, and the fee is subject to change.

Details:

•One-time-use vacation points are vacation points available for Disney Vacation Club Members to use as an alternative to borrowing vacation points from the following use year's allotment.

•You can obtain a maximum of 24 one-time-use vacation points once per use year per membership.

•A maximum of 24 one-time-use vacation points are processed in a single transaction, not multiple transactions.

•The fee for one-time-use vacation points is $15 (including tax) per vacation point, and is subject to change.

•One-time-use vacation points expire according to the use year of the reservation booked and are non-refundable, non-transferable and cannot be banked or borrowed.

•One-time-use vacation points are not available for waitlist reservations.

•One-time-use vacation points cannot be applied retroactively to existing reservations.

•One-time-use vacation points are only available for Members whose contract is closed and in good standing.

•One-time-use vacation points are available only for Disney Vacation Club Resorts, Disney Collection*, Adventurer Collection* and World Passport Collection reservations.

* Available when you purchase directly from Disney.

•One-time-use vacation points used for Disney Vacation Club resort reservations can only be used up to 7 months prior to arrival.

•One-time-use vacation points for Disney Collection, Adventurer Collection and World Passport reservations can be used according to the booking guidelines for each individual collection.

Do they hold firm on the 24 points? I will probably need 26 points so am I just out of luck? I am assuming yes.....

Do they hold firm on the 24 points? I will probably need 26 points so am I just out of luck? I am assuming yes.....

Yes, they are holding firm on the 24 points. If you need more than 24, they will sell you an add-on of 25 (or more) points if you don't want to borrow from your next Use Year.

•You can obtain a maximum of 24 one-time-use vacation points once per use year per membership.

•A maximum of 24 one-time-use vacation points are processed in a single transaction, not multiple transactions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter