Chicago Marathon 2018 (Oct 7th) DIS Meet Race!

This is awesome!

He's seriously been like interviewing people who have spectated before and mapping things out. Him and his buddy hold the record for Chicago El Racing (riding the full length of every El line in the fastest time) so it'll be interesting what he comes up with.

Sidenote for anyone in town on 10/5 that may want to observe something that sounds kind of cool. It's in Maggie Daley Park.
JUST DO IT POP UP RELAY RACE

Maggie Daley Skating Ribbon

337 E Randolph

On 10.5, witness the fastest run crews from Chicago and around the world throw down at the Maggie Daley Skating Ribbon in the finale to our Just Do It pop up race series. The 4x800 relays will include a high school showcase, as well as men’s, women’s, and co-ed heats. High school races will take place between 7:00pm-7:30pm and adult races will take place between 8:30pm-9:00pm.

I'm currently debating between shorts with two pockets or a skirt with 3 pockets, but I increasingly carry less with me on races, so I might not need it? UGH!! Also short sleeve tee, but no idea which one. (because I own way too many).

I'm also debating on wearing a fuel belt, but leaning toward doing it. We are pretty picky about our electrolyte drink and thus carry it with us on races. I have a handheld but not really feeling it lately and really not feeling it for 26.2 when I'm trying to PR.

tumblr_mb4g00QFBG1qbau8oo2_500.gif

I'm currently debating between shorts with two pockets or a skirt with 3 pockets, but I increasingly carry less with me on races, so I might not need it? UGH!! Also short sleeve tee, but no idea which one. (because I own way too many).

I'm also debating on wearing a fuel belt, but leaning toward doing it. We are pretty picky about our electrolyte drink and thus carry it with us on races. I have a handheld but not really feeling it lately and really not feeling it for 26.2 when I'm trying to PR.

tumblr_mb4g00QFBG1qbau8oo2_500.gif

If marathon training taught me anything it's that my body is just not fuel belt friendly. I just can't find a precise place for it to sit that doesn't annoy me. And all types (flipelt, spibelt, etc) all want to either creep up above my waist or fall down to my knees. UGH the joys of being shaped like a running back or JLO. So I'll be sporting the world's tiniest cheapest belt thing that holds three gels and chucking it in a garbage can or at my husband and carrying rest in my pockets.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the BAA just announced the 2020 Boston qualifying standards, and they're 5 minutes lower for everyone than in past years. The cut-off this year was something like 4:52, so I guess they had to do something. Good luck to @DopeyBadger and anyone else looking to BQ at Chicago!

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the BAA just announced the 2020 Boston qualifying standards, and they're 5 minutes lower for everyone than in past years. The cut-off this year was something like 4:52, so I guess they had to do something. Good luck to @DopeyBadger and anyone else looking to BQ at Chicago!

Possibly dumb question. If Boston gets 30k people who met the standard, and turns away 7k+. Why can't they have a little bit bigger field? I know Chicago does over 40k runners. Is it a logistical thing with where that course starts? Or is it to make it more desirable by creating scarcity?
(I really don't know the answer...so this isn't me debating for that to happen)

Edited to add...wait is the answer charity spots...do they leave a ton of charity spots open??

Yeah i just saw that. i had been stalking to see what i had to get. i am really, really, really bummed. My PR is 3:54 and I knew i wanted better than 3:50 thinking i needed 5 minutes but now just to apply is 3:50 so i need a 9 minute PR. I am really sad.

Possibly dumb question. If Boston gets 30k people who met the standard, and turns away 7k+. Why can't they have a little bit bigger field? I know Chicago does over 40k runners. Is it a logistical thing with where that course starts? Or is it to make it more desirable by creating scarcity?
(I really don't know the answer...so this isn't me debating for that to happen)

Edited to add...wait is the answer charity spots...do they leave a ton of charity spots open??

Well, they do have some leeway to vary the field size - I believe they added several thousand extra spots the year after the bombing, due to a huge spike in applicants. I'd guess logistics plays a part in that, and the late start (10 AM for the first wave). They don't want the race to go too late into the day. The course is also fairly narrow, especially in the beginning, so they can't just make the waves bigger either. It's mostly two lane roads until you get to outer Boston proper, and it's pretty tight running for most of the first 10 miles or so. Charity and sponsor bibs also take up about 20% of the field, but those numbers have been pretty constant for years. I don't think they cap field size just to make it more exclusive. That's more revenue they'd be turning away by doing that. NYC Marathon is ~50K, so fields that big are certainly possible.

Yeah... Based on my current PR I’d need to maintain my pace until I’m 75. Should Chicago go extremely well, I’ll only have to maintain my pace until I’m 65. Barring future changes, that is. Guess Boston just isn’t for me...

Challenge Accepted.

Yeah i just saw that. i had been stalking to see what i had to get. i am really, really, really bummed. My PR is 3:54 and I knew i wanted better than 3:50 thinking i needed 5 minutes but now just to apply is 3:50 so i need a 9 minute PR. I am really sad.

Don't lose hope. You know my thoughts on motivation. You CAN do it. Believe. The victory lap will be that much sweeter.

Thanks @DopeyBadger, have always been planning that 3:50 anyways. Am feeling a little better about it. Reminding myself I have done the training and feeling good. Weather hopefully will help me.

I may get a slight taste of cooler temps on Saturday when I do my easy run the temp is supposed to be 66. I have not run in temps below 70in months.

Thanks @DopeyBadger, have always been planning that 3:50 anyways. Am feeling a little better about it. Reminding myself I have done the training and feeling good. Weather hopefully will help me.

I may get a slight taste of cooler temps on Saturday when I do my easy run the temp is supposed to be 66. I have not run in temps below 70in months.

The key to the race will be to CONSERVE, CONSERVE, CONSERVE in the beginning. You're going to feel like a million bucks at the start. Don't fall into the trap of suddenly aiming for a 3:30 or something. Be conservative and ride the wave to the finish. Save that energy when it's needed at the end push.

THE Chicago Marathon Weather Update!

With 10 days to go! The weather forecast using the "Chicago Loop" weather station.

Screen Shot 2018-09-28 at 6.20.26 AM.png

9/27/18 - T+D of around 105, maybe cloudy, maybe rain
9/28/18 - T+D of 100, 26% cloudy, 12% rain, 8 mph NNW wind (At 11 am, T+D is still only 104, and At 1pm, T+D is still only 103).

I think I remember a discussion around this time last year when applicants were being turned away with BQ minus 3+ minutes times and I had predicted then that they were going to lower the times. BAA had to do this, it was bad business turning away people that had worked hard to achieve their BQ times. At least with the new standards you should be able to run if you make your time, that is a good thing.
Nothing worth achieving comes without hard work.

The key to the race will be to CONSERVE, CONSERVE, CONSERVE in the beginning. You're going to feel like a million bucks at the start. Don't fall into the trap of suddenly aiming for a 3:30 or something. Be conservative and ride the wave to the finish. Save that energy when it's needed at the end push.

Truer words have never been spoken. The first half of Chicago is a little like running through MK... you'll basically be floating. The second half is a little more like running through WWoS. Not exactly, it's just a little more difficult and if you can conserve and gain energy later in the race by passing people you'll pick yourself up pretty well. If it's cloudy, it won't be as dramatic of a change as in the past. For me (ymmv), the sun sucks a little energy out of me. The 2nd half of Chicago has less shade (shorter buildings and angle of the sun) and therefore it tends to warm up. But maybe if it's overcast, it won't even be a thing. There are great crowds in the 2nd half, but they aren't quite as consistent as the first half.

Truer words have never been spoken. The first half of Chicago is a little like running through MK... you'll basically be floating. The second half is a little more like running through WWoS. Not exactly, it's just a little more difficult and if you can conserve and gain energy later in the race by passing people you'll pick yourself up pretty well. If it's cloudy, it won't be as dramatic of a change as in the past. For me (ymmv), the sun sucks a little energy out of me. The 2nd half of Chicago has less shade (shorter buildings and angle of the sun) and therefore it tends to warm up. But maybe if it's overcast, it won't even be a thing. There are great crowds in the 2nd half, but they aren't quite as consistent as the first half.

giphy.gif

i have to admit i have no idea how i am going to get through 3.5 more days of work. i can't stop stalking this thread. I am checking out the driving route up. Checking to see where we will stop. I am hoping to get to Louisville, but we may only get to Nashville. Louisville is about half way.

I finished my last size-able run last night. No more almost 2 hour treks at the gym for a while!!!!!

I feel like I'm not scared of the course in my head until after the United Center. Scared may be the wrong word. "Unsure" is probably better. I feel like past that point it's like no man's land for me. I just don't know what to expect at all. In my head the idea of running from the start to Wrigley seems SO FAR, but 8 miles is a standard base mileage for me now and so that is less scary than before.
But I just don't know what my body will do in that last big chunk of course.
I'm not freaking out....a lot...but maybe a little now. Any minute of the day I'm either overly confident or wondering what I've gotten myself into.

@DopeyBadger to the courtesy phone. I'll drop you a PM soon asking the normal roxymama "what effort do I start with???", "what's my gameplan" freak out questions :)

But I just don't know what my body will do in that last big chunk of course.

Honestly, I've run 12 marathons and I never truly know what my body will do in that last big chunk. It's going to be all about learning to roll with the punches whatever race day may throw at you.

@DopeyBadger to the courtesy phone. I'll drop you a PM soon asking the normal roxymama "what effort do I start with???", "what's my gameplan" freak out questions :)

I'll be ready. Sounds to me like you're ready to be called a marathon finisher. :car:

Honestly, I've run 12 marathons and I never truly know what my body will do in that last big chunk. It's going to be all about learning to roll with the punches whatever race day may throw at you.
So true. It is a rare and beautiful thing when your body does what you want it to do over that last 10K, so you have no choice but to go with what the day brings.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter