College Program Parents Thread...

Hi, my daughter is currently in the college program. (Fall advantage 2014) One of her roommate's grandfathers passed away a week ago. She spoke with her manager and was able to have her schedule changed so she could fly home for the funeral. They were very nice about it. Hopefully your son will not have this experience. If you have any questions about the current check in process, apartments, shoes... We have just gone through it. Our daughter is very excited because she is "deploying" to Magic Kingdom this week to work at the new Fantasyland.

My daughter works in Fantasyland at Mine Train! Hope your daughter has a magical time there!

He's in the program working as a lifeguard at All Star. We finally got him to book some dates (Aug 8-13) for us to come and visit. He was on the HUB and the best discount was 50% with him staying with us. A lot of resorts (especially deluxe) weren't available, but we're good with POR.

Based on another post just a day or two ago, should he have called instead to see if any other "special" discounts were available? Certainly 50% is fantastic, but another 10% is a big deal.

BTW, the "Welcome"email included a link to the HUB. From what I've read here on this site, parents are not to use our CP's login credentials. It's tempting because he's so busy but I wouldn't want to do anything that gets him in trouble.

BTW, the "Welcome"email included a link to the HUB. From what I've read here on this site, parents are not to use our CP's login credentials. It's tempting because he's so busy but I wouldn't want to do anything that gets him in trouble.

You are correct. No one expect the CM is suppose to log into the Hub because there is confidential company information on it. Only your son signed the non-disclosure agreement so if anyone else was to use his credentials they aren't bound by the contract.

It is one of those how will they know crimes though. The only way they would know 100% is if you or your son slipped up to another Disney employee.

He's in the program working as a lifeguard at All Star. We finally got him to book some dates (Aug 8-13) for us to come and visit. He was on the HUB and the best discount was 50% with him staying with us. A lot of resorts (especially deluxe) weren't available, but we're good with POR.

Based on another post just a day or two ago, should he have called instead to see if any other "special" discounts were available? Certainly 50% is fantastic, but another 10% is a big deal.

Yes, I hear you about the Hub. We still haven't been able to get our daughter to book us anything so I had to resort to booking at the military resort - Shades of Green - once again. Not complaining as we get an incredible discount but was really hoping for some "Disney theming" and trying out a new place! She works at Pizza Planet at DHS and is getting about 60 hours a week! She just can't seem to find time for the Hub!!!

I have another question on the depressing side. My mother in law has been ill and in a medical facility for a couple of years. The kind of deal where they are surprised she is still here and could go at any time. What is the bereavement policy for the DCP? Or do they even have one? If his Grandmother does pass what we thought is since it is only a couple hours flight from Orlando to Huntsville, fly him up the day before the funeral and he can fly back the evening after the funeral so he would only be gone for 2 days. Don't know what the process is. We may not need to but would like to be prepared if we have to..Thanks

So sorry for you.

Unfortunately, there is no policy and getting your scheduled changed is dependent on managers. A roommate of mine lost TWO of her grandfathers in the span she was gone. She had to give away her shifts and call in, she ended up with points for it. She was in entertainment so she didn't have a general manager who she could talk to and her shifts were harder to give away. Best of luck to you, if all else fails you can have him call in sick and receive points.

You can always have him call anyway and state that he already has a room booked at 50% but was wondering if there was a 60% discount at the moment or any better deals. They'll either tell you yes or no, they are very nice on the phone. You can keep calling up until you get there to see.

Yes, only CMs are allowed to access the HUB, I would not risk it.

Yes, I know about the summer discount because my daughter was helping a friend plan a trip and we were discussing the best time for her, discount wise. Also, until recently, we lived about 2 1/2 hours away and visited my daughter at least once or twice a month, so we got some discount knowledge from planning those visits at all different times. I wouldn't risk going on the Hub.

Greetings Fellow Parents,
It came to my attention looking at my daughter's paystub that Disney doe not withhold state taxes from CP pay checks presumably because they are temp employees (they do withhold fed. taxes). Be aware that if your child is retaining state residency in their home state (and I would think most would for college tuition purposes), their state may still tax income earned out of state (I know Colorado does) and your child could have a nasty surprise come tax time. Just some friendly advise.....

It came to my attention looking at my daughter's paystub that Disney doe not withhold state taxes from CP pay checks presumably because they are temp employees (they do withhold fed. taxes). Be aware that if your child is retaining state residency in their home state (and I would think most would for college tuition purposes), their state may still tax income earned out of state (I know Colorado does) and your child could have a nasty surprise come tax time. Just some friendly advise.....

True however FL has no state income tax to begin with so there are no taxes for them to withold.

Liz

jce2 said:

They don't with hold income because the job is in FL. I know the next year when I had to do my taxes they didnt even make me file a FL income tax form and since the miney wasn't made in NY, NY didn't tax it.

Illinois DOES tax income made in other states and, no, it will not be withheld for you by Disney. In my daughter's experience, out-of-state income was taxed at a higher rate than in-state income. She has been a Florida resident for a year now and tax rules in Illinois may have changed in that regard.
Lynda

I apologize if I already asked this but wanted to confirm one more time. We are planning to visit our daughter on the following days and want to know which days she will be able to get us in on her pass and which days will be black out days.

Sunday October 12 - Epcot F&W and Magic Kingdom for EMH
Monday October 13 - DHS and Magic Kingdom for MNSSHP

Sunday December 21 - Magic Kingdom or any other park
Monday December 22 - Epcot

Thanks.

DCPmom2014 said:
I apologize if I already asked this but wanted to confirm one more time. We are planning to visit our daughter on the following days and want to know which days she will be able to get us in on her pass and which days will be black out days.

Sunday October 12 - Epcot F&W and Magic Kingdom for EMH
Monday October 13 - DHS and Magic Kingdom for MNSSHP

Sunday December 21 - Magic Kingdom or any other park
Monday December 22 - Epcot

Thanks.

The Decembet days I wouldn't count on.

Also CMs do not get into eticket parties for free. You wilk need to buy a ticket to MNSSHP and they don't often offer the CM tickets in October only September.

Sunday October 12th may be a hit or miss for MK because most weekends ate blacked out at MK.

I told my son that he needs to save 5% of his pay because Disney will not withhold state taxes, because Florida does not have state income taxes, and he will have to pay state taxes to the state of Illinois because he is still considered a resident of Illinois.

Now, we will see if he actually does it. I am actually going to be putting that same amount in my savings account just in case I need to come up with it come next tax season. :)

I told my son that he needs to save 5% of his pay because Disney will not withhold state taxes, because Florida does not have state income taxes, and he will have to pay state taxes to the state of Illinois because he is still considered a resident of Illinois.

Now, we will see if he actually does it. I am actually going to be putting that same amount in my savings account just in case I need to come up with it come next tax season. :)

Thankfully we live in Texas...no worries about state tax.

Decided to go down for MNSSHP in September! Flying down on Saturday the 20th and flying home on the 22nd. Quick trip lol. She booked us AKL for $500....I could have done it cheaper lol but I'm not a value girl anymore. We almost booked the Poly but I didn't want to stay there due to the construction.

I have been holding off booking our room for December 24-28th until my daughter checks in next month and gets access to the Hub and can make reservations with her discount. I want to make sure, though, that her discount will not be blacked out during those dates (since I know her main gate passes will be). Does anyone know? I have been under the impression that there were no black out dates for her room discount, but am starting to get a little nervous about waiting another 8 weeks or so only to find out that there will be no discount for our dates and then possibly not getting our resort choice because I have waited so long to book.

lacy1101 said:
I have been holding off booking our room for December 24-28th until my daughter checks in next month and gets access to the Hub and can make reservations with her discount. I want to make sure, though, that her discount will not be blacked out during those dates (since I know her main gate passes will be). Does anyone know? I have been under the impression that there were no black out dates for her room discount, but am starting to get a little nervous about waiting another 8 weeks or so only to find out that there will be no discount for our dates and then possibly not getting our resort choice because I have waited so long to book.

There is the possibility of limited to no rooms available under CM discount. There is also the possibly that you're preferred resort will not be on it. Several times I used my discount only the Deluxe resorts or suites were available.

There is the possibility of limited to no rooms available under CM discount. There is also the possibly that you're preferred resort will not be on it. Several times I used my discount only the Deluxe resorts or suites were available.

I would love to stay at POR (never have), but I guess we will take whatever we can get. Am I correct, though, that her room discount doesn't have blackout dates? Not getting our resort choice is one thing . . . having to pay rack rate over Christmas is another!! :scared:

lacy1101 said:
I would love to stay at POR (never have), but I guess we will take whatever we can get. Am I correct, though, that her room discount doesn't have blackout dates? Not getting our resort choice is one thing . . . having to pay rack rate over Christmas is another!! :scared:

It isn't that it is "blacked out" room disciunts are based on availability. They only release so many rooms for cast discount and sewing as it is the single most visited week of the year I would say be prepaired to still pay top dollar.

Also know they do sometimes black out the food discounts.

My daughter started her DCP on May 19th and I still don't have a room reservation for December 20-27!!! Be prepared for them to be "too busy" to even check the hub!! At least that's what I'm getting!!! Good luck!

DCPmom2014 said:
My daughter started her DCP on May 19th and I still don't have a room reservation for December 20-27!!! Be prepared for them to be "too busy" to even check the hub!! At least that's what I'm getting!!! Good luck!

Honestly I think your kid just doesn't want to do it. What location are they in? Even when I was working a 13-14 hour shift I found time to get on the Hub. It takes 5 minutes to book a room. Every CP gets 2 days off unless they request to work a 6th day. This may be a busy time but they are probably spending their time at a park, parties, or not caring.

I would schedule with her 30 minutes to get it straightened out. The longer you wait the leads likely you ate too very a December room. Plus if you book note you can always call back in october to set about the extra holiday discount. That way if it isn't available you aren't stuck.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter