College Program Parents Thread...

DCPmom2014 said:
Has anyone taken advantage of the discount your son/daughter gets on Disney Cruise Line? We have always wanted to take one. Is it just for the Cast Member of can we go with them??

Not sure my DD could ever get enough time off to take advantage of it but you never know!

Just be aware they have to have been a cm for 60 days before they could book so it is month two of their CP.

Also you can go but the CM must go as well.

DCPmom2014 said:
Has anyone taken advantage of the discount your son/daughter gets on Disney Cruise Line? We have always wanted to take one. Is it just for the Cast Member of can we go with them??

Not sure my DD could ever get enough time off to take advantage of it but you never know!
Just be careful with this though. They put a lot of restrictions on CMs when cruising. One thing I did not care for was if they need to they can "bump" a CM's ressie from a cruise. They just have to refund your fare....That's it. And they "can" do it as late as when you arrive at the terminal. Is it likely to happen? No. Could it happen? Yes, it absolutely could!
Just be aware that if you are cruising as a CM...you don't have the same "rights". They assign your cabin, your dinner seating, you supposedly cannot remove the tips from your OBA. I just want you to be informed, is all. :)

I have a few questions about the room discount. My DD has booked several rooms already and it has been great! We are planning a trip for Dec 7-13. She checked today and there were some rooms available but nothing that would work for us.....including her, we have 3 adults and 2 kids. There was availability at SS and OKW but they were too expensive.

Do different resorts become available closer to the time or is this all we can expect?

Does POR AB with trundle beds ever show up as an option? And I heard CB was getting Murphy beds in some rooms- is this true? The Disney site doesn't show that so I was wondering.

Are there other rooms for 5 that are just regular rooms with an extra sofa bed or something?

I guess we can always get 2 ASM rooms but we have never stayed there.

Sorry for rambling- any advice will be great! Having a hard time being patient and want some assurance that something will most likely come up....
Thanks!!

DianeV said:
So for someone on the DCP they would have to still be on the plan to still have an ID

Yes if they are not currently on their program and did not take another job with the company they can not get the discount and you will be charged rack rate when you get to port.

:confused3

Our DD checks in on Aug. 11th. We are planning a trip for sure from Dec. 5th until about the 12th. Can we book the room now and then when she is allowed to get discounts, go in and change our room to get the discount? I just read a post where it sounded like that is what others are doing but wanted to make sure. It would be nice to go ahead and secure our place. I understand it may be a popular week.

We are hoping to visit before that but we just know this is a definite.

She is getting excited -- nervous, but excited! She is extremely adamant about following rules so we went to buy some black flat shoes (plain) because she saw a girl post that her black shoes (with a bow) were not Disney standards. She's a bit stressed over what she will wear for Traditions and classes but I think she has several pieces that will work great.

Anyway, it's getting exciting around here but would love some advice on the room bookings. Thanks

Oh, and she is going to do a blog while there. Hope she will have time. She will be in FSFB

Booking rooms is really easy- DD has gotten us a 2-night stay at AKL and rooms for friends at ASM this summer. Two of those were booked at about two weeks out. The thing about booking now is that all resorts aren't discounted- they have a list of available resorts that changes all the time. That is where my confusion comes in! Since we have five people (DD already got time off approved-yay!), Our options are limited. Even at holiday 60%off we want to stay at around $200 or hopefully less a night. We decided not to book now since we have no idea which hotels will be discounted. She is going to check every week or two for us and see if she can score something. If not, once the 60%off hits, she will book two AS or Pop rooms I guess........I am very appreciative of the Disney benefits but I am not patient!! So hard!

Anyone have experiences with this to share?

Booking rooms is really easy- DD has gotten us a 2-night stay at AKL and rooms for friends at ASM this summer. Two of those were booked at about two weeks out. The thing about booking now is that all resorts aren't discounted- they have a list of available resorts that changes all the time. That is where my confusion comes in! Since we have five people (DD already got time off approved-yay!), Our options are limited. Even at holiday 60%off we want to stay at around $200 or hopefully less a night. We decided not to book now since we have no idea which hotels will be discounted. She is going to check every week or two for us and see if she can score something. If not, once the 60%off hits, she will book two AS or Pop rooms I guess........I am very appreciative of the Disney benefits but I am not patient!! So hard!

Anyone have experiences with this to share?

My daughter is a CM and has gotten us rooms many times. And yes the availability always changes. For sure have her check at least once a week (maybe when she looks up her schedule) and more if possible.

And to reesecup - you can book now to make sure you have a room but there is no reason to..you can't convert that particular room to a CM discount. That is totally different inventory. If you are worried that nothing will be available (unlikely) you can book something just in case but really no need...wait til she has her credentials and then she can check.

Liz

Hello all!

I'm looking at doing the DCP in Spring 2015 after I graduate. However, I'm worried about wages and being unable to keep up my car payments ($230 a month) on what I will make as a part of the internship. I know pay and hours depends on your role, but is there a ballpark amount you put in your pocket after rent each month? I just don't want to get my hopes up of going if I can't afford it.

Thanks!

ETA: Oh, and another question...do they provide any health benefits?

Is anyone having your DCPer get a flu shot before going? We don't normally do flu shots in our family (and, fortunately, haven't gotten the flu), but I'm just wondering if it would be a good idea for our daughter - she checks in on September 2nd.

Is anyone having your DCPer get a flu shot before going? We don't normally do flu shots in our family (and, fortunately, haven't gotten the flu), but I'm just wondering if it would be a good idea for our daughter - she checks in on September 2nd.

Yes we insisted on it. My daughter had 2 high public-contact positions. Also, in the fall the company will offer free flu shots at various locations.

Hello all!

I'm looking at doing the DCP in Spring 2015 after I graduate. However, I'm worried about wages and being unable to keep up my car payments ($230 a month) on what I will make as a part of the internship. I know pay and hours depends on your role, but is there a ballpark amount you put in your pocket after rent each month? I just don't want to get my hopes up of going if I can't afford it.

Thanks!

ETA: Oh, and another question...do they provide any health benefits?

I worked in merchandise and I was paid $7.79 an hour (I heard this might increase to $10? If a vote goes through?) and worked roughly 32 hours a week (you can easily get 40 hours by picking shifts up, I took some extra days off to enjoy myself) and rent was about $96 a week. I believe you can work over 40 hours if you pick up extra hour shifts, but you can't do so in your designated area I believe.

So if you work 40 hours that's $311 without taking out whatever for tax and whatnot, then after rent it's about $215 a week. So, yes you can manage if you spend your money well.

From the DCP site:
Medical Insurance
You are responsible for securing your own medical insurance for the duration of your internship. The company offers a limited medical plan – Aetna SRC BasicMed Insurance. If you select this coverage, you will pay via payroll deduction and will become eligible upon completion of Disney Traditions. More information regarding the BasicMed Plan will automatically be sent to your home after the first few weeks of your employment.

They do have an onsite clinic for CMs and CPs.

Yes we insisted on it. My daughter had 2 high public-contact positions. Also, in the fall the company will offer free flu shots at various locations.

I had also read that the 2014-15 flu vaccine hasn't even come out yet (may be sometime in August or September), so maybe she should just plan on getting it once she's down there - especially if its free!

For those who were waiting - the new CM discounts were released today for August 17 - October 19. :)

What were they? Do you have to have traveling done by the 19th of Oct., or as long as you arrive before 19th will all the days qualify?

I worked in merchandise and I was paid $7.79 an hour (I heard this might increase to $10? If a vote goes through?

It's now $8.03. The $10/hour passed but is for full time CMs only as of right now.

What were they? Do you have to have traveling done by the 19th of Oct., or as long as you arrive before 19th will all the days qualify?

It's 60% instead of 50% for CMs (50% instead of 40% for friends and family).

It used to be that if you arrived before the cutoff date your whole trip qualified, but I think it's been changed now. I'm not sure, though. Maybe someone else will know, or you could call and ask.

It's now $8.03. The $10/hour passed but is for full time CMs only as of right now.

It's 60% instead of 50% for CMs (50% instead of 40% for friends and family).

It used to be that if you arrived before the cutoff date your whole trip qualified, but I think it's been changed now. I'm not sure, though. Maybe someone else will know, or you could call and ask.

Thanks, my son just got started this week and has his Traditions on Friday so I know nothing can be done until then. We had already booked a trip for October for our anniversary before he got accepted because we like to go during that time. It would be nice if it would apply to our time. Also, they get discounts on A.P.'s, how does that work. Could he get our A.P.'s at a discount or is that allowed? Thanks

I posted this on the Resort discount friends and family discount board too but I am wondering if anyone can confirm that the dining plan special is only for $35 for the quick service? It looks like that is what I was quoted when I called when we tried to break it down. That's not much of a discount really since the regular price is $41.99. I have heard of it being cheaper but I guess maybe they just aren't offering as good of a discount this time?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter