College Program Parents Thread...

I realize that our son can get three of us in free up to six times. But, let's say I want to save some of these for a visit much later in the year. In order to purchase three or four-day passes using the 10% discount, will I have to once again get my son to handle this transaction through the HUB?

Or, since the current room-only reservation shows the CM 50% discount, would a phone agent be able to process my ticket order with the 10% discount?

I realize that our son can get three of us in free up to six times. But, let's say I want to save some of these for a visit much later in the year. In order to purchase three or four-day passes using the 10% discount, will I have to once again get my son to handle this transaction through the HUB?

Or, since the current room-only reservation shows the CM 50% discount, would a phone agent be able to process my ticket order with the 10% discount?

No..this will require him going to a Company D location and purchasing the tickets using his own funds (credit card or cash). Sooo if you are having trouble getting him to get on the HUB then getting him to go into a Company D location might be more of a trick. Good luck.

Liz

Mitch_in_GA said:

The 10% of tickets usually have to be bought at one of the cast stores. If they can be done on the phone an agent should let you ac them on once you have a reservation. I've heard mixed reports of being able to buy then on the phone. I think the people who have done it just don't realize they paid full prove because the discount is minimal.

Just as a heads up your son can only buy so many of the discounted tickets so keep that in mind.

It isn't that it is "blacked out" room disciunts are based on availability. They only release so many rooms for cast discount and sewing as it is the single most visited week of the year I would say be prepaired to still pay top dollar.

Also know they do sometimes black out the food discounts.

So would your advice be to go ahead and just book it on my own without any discount to make sure I have a room?

lacy1101 said:
So would your advice be to go ahead and just book it on my own without any discount to make sure I have a room?

If you are booking room only yes because you can cancel and get your deposit back.

...Sooo if you are having trouble getting him to get on the HUB then getting him to go into a Company D location might be more of a trick.
Liz

I'll say. Even then I'd worry about him having close to $1,000 in tickets in his room. And, unless I obtained the serial numbers and linked them on MDE, I still wouldn't be able to select any FP+ ahead of time.

I guess this is what's concerning me just a bit -- the chance that same day FP+ availability will be really limited, even arriving right at RD.

My daughter started her DCP on May 19th and I still don't have a room reservation for December 20-27!!! Be prepared for them to be "too busy" to even check the hub!! At least that's what I'm getting!!! Good luck!

My daughter got me a room for September yesterday while she was at Animal Kingdom with her friends using her smart phone to get on the hub. Seriously only takes minutes to look for a room.

If you are booking room only yes because you can cancel and get your deposit back.

Well, I did it! Booked POR for $266 a night . . . would love to get 50% off of that when her CM discount becomes available, but, if not, we can consider switching to a resort that's available with the discount or just stay where we are. :goodvibes

Now to figure out what we're going to do while we're there over Christmas if we decide not to venture into the parks. So far, I've thought of mini golf, DTD, pool time or water park (if its warm enough), etc. This is definitely going to a different trip than what we're used to . . .

What's funny about is this was the year we WEREN'T going to Disney. ;) Now that our daughter will be there for the CP, we're going 4 times - 2 times to take her and bring her home, family trip in October and a second family trip in December!!

Well, I did it! Booked POR for $266 a night . . . would love to get 50% off of that when her CM discount becomes available, but, if not, we can consider switching to a resort that's available with the discount or just stay where we are. :goodvibes

Now to figure out what we're going to do while we're there over Christmas if we decide not to venture into the parks. So far, I've thought of mini golf, DTD, pool time or water park (if its warm enough), etc. This is definitely going to a different trip than what we're used to . . .

What's funny about is this was the year we WEREN'T going to Disney. ;) Now that our daughter will be there for the CP, we're going 4 times - 2 times to take her and bring her home, family trip in October and a second family trip in December!!

We are in the same position as we will be going to visit our daughter Dec 20-27 and most likely not going into the parks since she will not be able to get us in and the military discount tickets are blacked out as well. We plan to eat dinner at different resorts, visit DTD, maybe see Cirque Du Soleil, hang out at the pool, etc. We are still waiting for her to book something for us. Hoping for Wilderness Lodge or Grand Floridian.

I am also taking my mom in October for the F&W Festival and MNSSHP and going again in February with a couple of families so we can take advantage of the military discount!!!

Hello,
My sister and I want her son, my nephew, to apply for DCP. He would be wonderful! He not only is passionate about Disney, but he's also handsome, charming, smart and very conscientious. They are visiting WDW in August before he goes back to school (he's a Junior).

Anyway, I am wondering if there is anything he can do while there. Anyone he can talk to, visit, tour in regards to the DCP?

Thank you!:wave2:

maryandtyson said:
Hello,
My sister and I want her son, my nephew, to apply for DCP. He would be wonderful! He not only is passionate about Disney, but he's also handsome, charming, smart and very conscientious. They are visiting WDW in August before he goes back to school (he's a Junior).

Anyway, I am wondering if there is anything he can do while there. Anyone he can talk to, visit, tour in regards to the DCP?

Not much he can do officially but a great thing is to look for people who have a college on their name tag instead of a city. They are either currently on the college program or have done it at some point. He can ask them what they think of it.

On the website where you apply you can search for information tours that will either be at his school or a neighboring school. If one doesn't come close they have a digital verson.

Not much he can do officially but a great thing is to look for people who have a college on their name tag instead of a city. They are either currently on the college program or have done it at some point. He can ask them what they think of it.

On the website where you apply you can search for information tours that will either be at his school or a neighboring school. If one doesn't come close they have a digital verson.

They do not do formal campus presentations or the e-presentation anymore. Some schools will still have info sessions on it, mine does about a month after apps come out, but those aren't set up by the program but instead by the school.

They do not do formal campus presentations or the e-presentation anymore. Some schools will still have info sessions on it, mine does about a month after apps come out, but those aren't set up by the program but instead by the school.

Wow. I knew they got rid of college reps this semester but didn't realize they got rid of the formal presentations and e-presentations as well.

Hello,

Speaking to current CPs is the best route. And if he isn't asking the questions then your sister should; I did that with my daughter (who was mortified that I questioned every CP we met). If he truly wants a career at Disney he needs be prepared for a very competitive process, but dreams do come true! My daughter did 2 CPs, and a PI. She just landed a full time professional position. It took networking and going outside her comfort zone to ask people for introductions. The good thing is most Cast Members are happy to help. Good luck!

Hello,

Just remember, it is VERY competitive and alot of people apply for the DCP and alot of people do not get accepted. (I ready somewhere, not sure if on here or another group) that they only accept about 10% of the applicants. It has become more popular each semester and they are getting more and more applicants.

But definately do as others have suggested, talk to any CM who has a college on their name tag. My DD loves it, she started in January, was originally supposed to leave on Aug 8, but has extended her program and will be done with the DCP on Jan 5, 2015. After that, she is planning on staying in Florida (transfer schools) and work part time/seasonal. (Applications are already in). She works at Hollywood Studios in Quick Service Food/Beverage. It is not a popular job and most don't like it, but she doesn't have too many complaints and her managers love her:) Her only issues are with the bus system (Tran Star), which the kids use to get from the housing complexes to work if they don't bring a car.

BTW, her name is Tori (from York College of PA) so stop and chat if you see her! She works on Sunset Blvd (near Tower of Terror), Starring Rolls Cafe the dinosaur over on the lake (forget name).

Good luck to your nephew and make sure he gets his application in as soon as they open!:)

Just remember, it is VERY competitive and alot of people apply for the DCP and alot of people do not get accepted. (I ready somewhere, not sure if on here or another group) that they only accept about 10% of the applicants. It has become more popular each semester and they are getting more and more applicants. But definately do as others have suggested, talk to any CM who has a college on their name tag. My DD loves it, she started in January, was originally supposed to leave on Aug 8, but has extended her program and will be done with the DCP on Jan 5, 2015. After that, she is planning on staying in Florida (transfer schools) and work part time/seasonal. (Applications are already in). She works at Hollywood Studios in Quick Service Food/Beverage. It is not a popular job and most don't like it, but she doesn't have too many complaints and her managers love her:) Her only issues are with the bus system (Tran Star), which the kids use to get from the housing complexes to work if they don't bring a car. BTW, her name is Tori (from York College of PA) so stop and chat if you see her! She works on Sunset Blvd (near Tower of Terror), Starring Rolls Cafe the dinosaur over on the lake (forget name). Good luck to your nephew and make sure he gets his application in as soon as they open!:)

Thank you! My nephew lives in PA. I will let him know.

I know it's grey competitive and he might not get in. We are just trying to help him pursue a passion, and Disney is something he is definitely very passionate about, instead of just thinking he needs to graduate to get a job.

Thanks for all the advice!!

Speaking to current CPs is the best route. And if he isn't asking the questions then your sister should; I did that with my daughter (who was mortified that I questioned every CP we met). If he truly wants a career at Disney he needs be prepared for a very competitive process, but dreams do come true! My daughter did 2 CPs, and a PI. She just landed a full time professional position. It took networking and going outside her comfort zone to ask people for introductions. The good thing is most Cast Members are happy to help. Good luck!

Wow! That's fantastic! I bet she is glad you stuck your neck out for her now!! I think sometimes everyone needs a little pushing. I don't think my nephew sees himself the way others see him. Great inspiration. Thank you!

Hello,

If he is interested in animals, stop by the Conservation Station that is a part of Rafiki's Planet Watch in Animal Kingdom. On our trip in Feb., my DD and I talked to a CM there and she gave us info on the College Program and Professional Internship program AND my DD is only 11 years old and heading into sixth grade. She just loves animals and knows she wants to work with them in the future. The CM talked to us and gave us a business card with the college program links on it. She was really helpful and so sweet to take the time to talk to us.:hippie:

So, once we got home I have checked out the Disney links about the college program and here I am! :thumbsup2 I guess you can say I am definitely a planner! I have been reading the posts on this site and really getting a good idea of what the College Program is all about. Thanks everyone!:cool1:

I am already putting to use some of the stuff I learned because now my niece who is in college currently is interested in the program and thinking about it.

bethp1968 said:
Just remember, it is VERY competitive and alot of people apply for the DCP and alot of people do not get accepted. (I ready somewhere, not sure if on here or another group) that they only accept about 10% of the applicants. It has become more popular each semester and they are getting more and more applicants.

But definately do as others have suggested, talk to any CM who has a college on their name tag. My DD loves it, she started in January, was originally supposed to leave on Aug 8, but has extended her program and will be done with the DCP on Jan 5, 2015. After that, she is planning on staying in Florida (transfer schools) and work part time/seasonal. (Applications are already in). She works at Hollywood Studios in Quick Service Food/Beverage. It is not a popular job and most don't like it, but she doesn't have too many complaints and her managers love her:) Her only issues are with the bus system (Tran Star), which the kids use to get from the housing complexes to work if they don't bring a car.

BTW, her name is Tori (from York College of PA) so stop and chat if you see her! She works on Sunset Blvd (near Tower of Terror), Starring Rolls Cafe the dinosaur over on the lake (forget name).

Good luck to your nephew and make sure he gets his application in as soon as they open!:)
In 2013, the rep who interviewed my daughter and offered her a position said they get about 24,000 to 26,000 apps and they accept about 6,000. And at least a Couple hundred will get fired in the first few weeks. There is no gray area with the rules. Break them and get caught and you are leaving...no ifs ands or buts.
Those were the stats we were given last year.

Has anyone taken advantage of the discount your son/daughter gets on Disney Cruise Line? We have always wanted to take one. Is it just for the Cast Member of can we go with them??

Not sure my DD could ever get enough time off to take advantage of it but you never know!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter