College Program Parents Thread...

Thanks. Doesn't look like visiting over the holidays is going to work! Am assuming getting a resort using her discount will be next to impossible as well

There will be discounts available. She needs to check earlier rather than later to secure something and then when they get their Holiday discount package with the offers she should probably call in and check if there is something better either resort wiise or price wise. If she does that when the holiday discount comes out you should be happy.

We have even gotten last minute discounts that week.

Liz

Our daughter checks in on Aug. 11th also! :) I hope she will like what she gets assigned as well. I'm more concerned about the hours they may get. She is more of a morning person so I'm afraid she may get very late hours. She will be in FSFB. She just finished 2 summer classes and just started one more. She did it in hopes that she will be able to stay on track with graduation. She is taking one while down there. I'm guessing they work with them on their schedule so they can do that?! And I understood from her school that she will get credit for it so that's great. I think it will be a great class. Anyway, we will be there bright and early on the 11th! Not sure where we will stay the night before. We will be driving up from Sarasota, Fl from helping get our son moved in to college. Also, not sure whether to stay the night of the 11th. I figured they will be keeping them very busy but would love to see her at the end of the day if we are able.

From what I heard, if you are taking a class, you just have to let them know, now I am not sure who 'them' is, and they will make sure that your work schedule accomodates the class. My son isn't taking any classes while there and he isn't using the internship for any college credit. He could have, but it wouldn't have helped in his major so I didn't feel the need to pay the tuition for the credit that wasn't going to help him.

He has actually done his first two years at our community college. His two summer classes are the last and he will have his associates degree. The program he did ensures that when he enters Illinois State University, which is where he will be going, his associate degree takes care of all of general studies. There is no transferring of each individual class and then worrying if he may have missed some obscure gen eds requirement. He will only have to take classes for his major and minor.

He is already familiar with ISU because he has been marching in their band for two years while he went to the community college. So, technically, he already has two credit hours towards his bachelors degree. :cool1:

I have a question! My CP daughter was looking into booking a room for us (5+) the week between X-mas and NY. Last week there was a lot more availability than this week.... pretty slim pickings, actually! I'm nervous about waiting any longer. Then I read about discounts "opening up" at a later date? Is that something that I can count on, or do you think we should go ahead and book now, even if the resort we wanted is no longer available? It still shows all kinds of availability through other sources like disney.com . Thank you so much for your help!!

I have a question! My CP daughter was looking into booking a room for us (5+) the week between X-mas and NY. Last week there was a lot more availability than this week.... pretty slim pickings, actually! I'm nervous about waiting any longer. Then I read about discounts "opening up" at a later date? Is that something that I can count on, or do you think we should go ahead and book now, even if the resort we wanted is no longer available? It still shows all kinds of availability through other sources like disney.com . Thank you so much for your help!!

When my daughter was in the CP last year, she booked us a room for almost the same time period. I think we were there from the 30th through the 2nd. I know she made the reservation in November and we wanted CBR which is usually always available with a cast member discount. Your dates might be a little more popular though being it is a little closer to Christmas so if you have a particular resort in mind and it is available, I would go ahead and book. If you have to settle for something different, have her keep checking because availability changes all the time. You can always switch.

MK - June 9-30, July 1-31, Aug. 1-8, 30-31

Epcot - None

DHS - June 6-8, Aug. 23

DAK - Every Saturday from July 5 - August 9

Just confirming that DHS and Epcot are both available for maingate passes for my daughter to take her grandparents and brother on July 7th? I know MK is blocked out. They ended up buying a one day MK ticket for July 6th.

Thanks so much.

When my daughter was in the CP last year, she booked us a room for almost the same time period. I think we were there from the 30th through the 2nd. I know she made the reservation in November and we wanted CBR which is usually always available with a cast member discount. Your dates might be a little more popular though being it is a little closer to Christmas so if you have a particular resort in mind and it is available, I would go ahead and book. If you have to settle for something different, have her keep checking because availability changes all the time. You can always switch.
Thank you! CBR is exactly where we were hoping to be. It was available last week but not this week. The YCR is still available so I guess we could just try for that.

Our daughter checks in on Aug. 11th also! :) I hope she will like what she gets assigned as well. I'm more concerned about the hours they may get. She is more of a morning person so I'm afraid she may get very late hours. She will be in FSFB. She just finished 2 summer classes and just started one more. She did it in hopes that she will be able to stay on track with graduation. She is taking one while down there. I'm guessing they work with them on their schedule so they can do that?! And I understood from her school that she will get credit for it so that's great. I think it will be a great class. Anyway, we will be there bright and early on the 11th! Not sure where we will stay the night before. We will be driving up from Sarasota, Fl from helping get our son moved in to college. Also, not sure whether to stay the night of the 11th. I figured they will be keeping them very busy but would love to see her at the end of the day if we are able.

I took 4 online classes on my DCP. In the program guide that your DD will receive there is a section about classes, you can email them (it'll give you an address) a photo of your classes and pick a day of the week and time where you must be scheduled off to do homework. Mine was Tuesdays from 8-12, so I was never scheduled at that time. However for the fall it started in September and ended in early December so I had a few weeks of classes that I didn't have scheduled days off to do.

Scheduling is a completely different entity, so I don't think the managers are going to be able to help at all or change the schedule to meet her needs. You can always join the FB pages to trade or giveaway shifts to coworkers if you need certain days off for papers or need a later shift. They have to be approved though. I managed to get all As (somehow!??) in my online courses so it's definitely doable.

As FSFB I doubt she'll have shifts later than 12am but I'm not 100% sure. My latest shifts (merch) were 2AM, during the holidays I'd mostly work 4-12/1. Just depends on where she's placed, I was a morning person too but I didn't have a ton of morning shifts. Mine were midday.

----
As for the sunglasses I'm not sure. In our area we could wear them but they could not show off any logos and had to be a natural color like black, dark blue, or brown. The shades had to be clear enough for guests to be able to see your eyes.

I assume his glasses will be okay as long as they don't get too dark but it's generally dependent on the area you work.

Thanks so much for the information. She would be able to handle until 12 a.m. And will handle later, if she has to but she just is not one to stay up real late.

It looks like most of the driving is on 535 instead of having to get on I-4. I like that better. Just wondering how busy 535 gets and how much time she will need to give herself getting there on time. We will figure it all out once she gets there and will drive her route with her once she figures out what apt she will be in and where she will be working.

I have read here and on Facebook that some CPs will send an email before they arrive requesting time off for when family comes to visit. My daughter checks in on September 2nd and we will be going down for a week at the end of October. Just wondering if this is something she should go ahead and do now and, if so, who does she email?

Thanks so much for the information. She would be able to handle until 12 a.m. And will handle later, if she has to but she just is not one to stay up real late.

It looks like most of the driving is on 535 instead of having to get on I-4. I like that better. Just wondering how busy 535 gets and how much time she will need to give herself getting there on time. We will figure it all out once she gets there and will drive her route with her once she figures out what apt she will be in and where she will be working.

No problem! She'll get used to it after awhile, especially when she hangs out on days off she'll stay up later than she'd expect. Some days we played at MK until 1AM.

I lived in Patterson and worked at Hollywood Studios and the easiest way driving was to turn onto International Drive (which was the road on the other side of Patterson), take a right (rather than left to get to the airport) and you're on World Center Drive. Despite it being the road most families take to get to WDW and their hotels it's generally pretty light traffic until you get into the middle of everything and even then it's fine. During the holidays it's dreadful to get home if you're off around 9 or 10 because everyone is leaving. Bring snacks, lol. I was always much happier to have traffic on the way home than on the way to work though. :thumbsup2

Here is a map, hopefully it's not too confusing. It is so so easy to drive on World Center is crazy. If she has a GPS she can use that and within a week she'll know where she's going. It only take about 15 minutes on a good day but I always left an hour before for Studios to give myself plenty of time you never know how crowded it will be or how easy it is to find a parking spot.

If you can I would at all cost avoid I4. It's extremely crowded all the time and a very frightening road if you're not used to driving in a big city especially at night coming home from work. You can always find a different road, people there often never use turn signals so it makes it even worse.

qo7xhj.png

I have read here and on Facebook that some CPs will send an email before they arrive requesting time off for when family comes to visit. My daughter checks in on September 2nd and we will be going down for a week at the end of October. Just wondering if this is something she should go ahead and do now and, if so, who does she email?

I have never heard of that before and to be honest I don't see them doing it.

Everything that we put in had to be put in through the hub and sometimes we still would not get those days off because it depends on who else asked, events, and other situations. I arrived August 5th and the next week I went through the hub and requested personal (not regular) days off for whenever my family was coming. I got all but one off and the rest you can usually trade shifts or giveaway shifts. I might be wrong though, I've never heard of it before, however.

Hi! I'm new on the DIS Discussion Forum! I have a question about moving in day. I believe that my daughter said that she has to be there at 7:30am for check in. After we get her settled in will she be busy the rest of the day? Or...will we be able to spend the rest of the day with her? Are there meetings or social activities that day?

Hi! I'm new on the DIS Discussion Forum! I have a question about moving in day. I believe that my daughter said that she has to be there at 7:30am for check in. After we get her settled in will she be busy the rest of the day? Or...will we be able to spend the rest of the day with her? Are there meetings or social activities that day?

I just moved my daughter in a few weeks ago. I drove her to check in and they had a waiting area for parents. They had cute DCP family buttons for us and we got to fill out a postcard for DD that they delivered later. Some kids get put on a bus for casting right away and some go later in the day. Mine went right after check in so I left and went back to my hotel until she texted me about an hour and a half later. She was free after that. We moved her in and went to Walmart to stock up. After dinner she decided to sleep in her apartment but we went to breakfast before saying goodbye. She is happy but homesick! I hope your daughter has a great experience!

I just moved my daughter in a few weeks ago. I drove her to check in and they had a waiting area for parents. They had cute DCP family buttons for us and we got to fill out a postcard for DD that they delivered later. Some kids get put on a bus for casting right away and some go later in the day. Mine went right after check in so I left and went back to my hotel until she texted me about an hour and a half later. She was free after that. We moved her in and went to Walmart to stock up. After dinner she decided to sleep in her apartment but we went to breakfast before saying goodbye. She is happy but homesick! I hope your daughter has a great experience!
Thanks for the info. We really don't know what to expect. We saw a Youtube video of check in and the line was really long. Do you remember how long your daughter was in line?

this is similar to our son last year. Sounds like the process hasn't changed much.

I think the check-in process lasted a bit over an hour maybe. It was very crowded but extremely organized.

This experience has been interesting so far! My DD has lived 5 hours away from home while in college. We always text daily and have a long phone conversation about once a week. While at Disney, she has texted me a ton and calls 3 or 4 times a week for LONG conversations. She vents about her work quite a bit which is getting old.....very hard for me to sympathize with a 20-year old bussing tables in Disney World! HA! Of course, she is just venting and she likes her job and the people there. She has said she would easily walk away if she did not like the people, though. One of her roommates has already gone home after a month.

I am starting to believe crazy stories of people getting termed for virtually nothing. Yes, I think there is often more to stories you read about but my DD has experienced a little bit of crazy already. She lives in an 8-person Chatham apartment. It has a downstairs entry but you immediately walk up a flight of stairs to the apartment. Their neighbors have called security on them multiple times for being loud. The walls are thin and they say the girls are constantly loud and use the stairs too much. They have even gone to housing to make a formal complaint. So far security has been nice about it and it seems fine but it makes her nervous. She is also freaked out by the first inspection coming up this week.

Does anyone know what that is like? She says it can be any time over 10 days and she has no idea how to be sure all trash is empty, laundry baskets are only half full, etc. for that long while they are all working various times. They have her SO terrified. Very uncharacteristic for her.....

She is also freaked out by the first inspection coming up this week.

Does anyone know what that is like? She says it can be any time over 10 days and she has no idea how to be sure all trash is empty, laundry baskets are only half full, etc. for that long while they are all working various times. They have her SO terrified. Very uncharacteristic for her.....

My daughter had her first inspection the other day and they got the White Glove award. I know my kid isn't crazy neat and she lives with 5 other girls but I guess they did ok. :thumbsup2

She is having some apartment drama, but thankfully not with her roommate. She lives in a 3 bedroom with 5 other girls. 3 of them "knew" each other before they moved in but the last 2 were added on move in day. I guess the 2 that were added are having issues with living together and lots of yelling/arguing and door slamming!

I think the check-in process lasted a bit over an hour maybe. It was very crowded but extremely organized.

This experience has been interesting so far! My DD has lived 5 hours away from home while in college. We always text daily and have a long phone conversation about once a week. While at Disney, she has texted me a ton and calls 3 or 4 times a week for LONG conversations. She vents about her work quite a bit which is getting old.....very hard for me to sympathize with a 20-year old bussing tables in Disney World! HA! Of course, she is just venting and she likes her job and the people there. She has said she would easily walk away if she did not like the people, though. One of her roommates has already gone home after a month.

I am starting to believe crazy stories of people getting termed for virtually nothing. Yes, I think there is often more to stories you read about but my DD has experienced a little bit of crazy already. She lives in an 8-person Chatham apartment. It has a downstairs entry but you immediately walk up a flight of stairs to the apartment. Their neighbors have called security on them multiple times for being loud. The walls are thin and they say the girls are constantly loud and use the stairs too much. They have even gone to housing to make a formal complaint. So far security has been nice about it and it seems fine but it makes her nervous. She is also freaked out by the first inspection coming up this week.

Inspections are not as bad as everyone made them out to be. Make sure when you know it's coming up that everyone picks everything up off the floor that shouldn't be there, make your beds, clean the sink and counters, make sure the dishes are either in the dishwasher or put away. Every morning during the week of inspections we'd get up (or I, I guess lol) and make sure everything was wiped off and neat just in case they came that day. We got white glove once and passed every other time. Make sure the floor is vacuumed and swept too.

The hardest was the trash, they always mark you down even if you barely have any trash. We probably had a box and something else in ours since we took our trash down before bed and they marked us off. It's really dumb. Otherwise they're easy.

They come at random times though, usually in the morning. My roommate and I was gone for one and my roommates said they banged on the door and walked in on my other roommates sleeping even if they're not supposed to.

No problem! She'll get used to it after awhile, especially when she hangs out on days off she'll stay up later than she'd expect. Some days we played at MK until 1AM.

I lived in Patterson and worked at Hollywood Studios and the easiest way driving was to turn onto International Drive (which was the road on the other side of Patterson), take a right (rather than left to get to the airport) and you're on World Center Drive. Despite it being the road most families take to get to WDW and their hotels it's generally pretty light traffic until you get into the middle of everything and even then it's fine. During the holidays it's dreadful to get home if you're off around 9 or 10 because everyone is leaving. Bring snacks, lol. I was always much happier to have traffic on the way home than on the way to work though. :thumbsup2

Here is a map, hopefully it's not too confusing. It is so so easy to drive on World Center is crazy. If she has a GPS she can use that and within a week she'll know where she's going. It only take about 15 minutes on a good day but I always left an hour before for Studios to give myself plenty of time you never know how crowded it will be or how easy it is to find a parking spot.

If you can I would at all cost avoid I4. It's extremely crowded all the time and a very frightening road if you're not used to driving in a big city especially at night coming home from work. You can always find a different road, people there often never use turn signals so it makes it even worse.

Thank you SO much for the map! It is greatly appreciated and I'm sure others on here will appreciate it! I am so glad she will not really need to get on I4. That was what I was most worried about, especially if she had to come home late at night. Once we know where she will be living and working, we will drive it with her before leaving.

One other question that I think has been asked before but we are kind of confused on, is what work documents they need to bring for check-in. Also, I see it is recommended to go ahead and go by the Urgent Care and register so if she should have any health concerns, it will be much easier on her. Is there only one place, they get picked up to be taken to? Thank you so much for all of your help and guidance!

qo7xhj.png

I have never heard of that before and to be honest I don't see them doing it.

Everything that we put in had to be put in through the hub and sometimes we still would not get those days off because it depends on who else asked, events, and other situations. I arrived August 5th and the next week I went through the hub and requested personal (not regular) days off for whenever my family was coming. I got all but one off and the rest you can usually trade shifts or giveaway shifts. I might be wrong though, I've never heard of it before, however.

As a semi local I totally agree that the way to go is to use 536/World Drive over 535 or I4. Also traffic on 535 can vary greatly due to time of day/tourist season where 536/World Drive never really backs up (enough lanes).

Also it is true that the CPs can now ask for time off before they start the CP. My niece got that email and immediately asked off for three days for a family wedding in Oct/November and got it. I don't know how she did it exactly but I thought the directions were right there in her email.

Liz

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter