Colonoscopy

Regardless, it is so important. Please get it done. My BIL passed away a couple years ago from colon cancer, and it could have been caught early but he didn't want to get it done and waited...so please go.

Her entire post is about how she IS GOING next week.

My doctor said I could be awake if I wanted, I guess in that case they just give you something to make you relaxed and mellow but it doesn't put you out.

I had no issues with the propofol, it put me right out. Like, when she plugged it into my IV the nurse told me it might burn a little and that was normal and then BAM! I'm opening my eyes back in my little exam room. No nausea, just a little grogginess and I was able to walk out of the building with no problems.

However they did tell me not to drink alcohol, drive, or sign any legal papers until the next day!
IF it were me and I was going to have to take something anyway knock me out. Now that you mention it that something to make you mellow is what I think they gave me at my first colo... was not happy.

You're welcome! :) My Doctor's office took a lot of precautions for the virus - masks had to be worn, lots of plexiglass barriers, etc. I felt pretty safe.
Did you not have to do a Covid 19 test before the procedure?

Thanks.

You all that are just getting your first ones now are so lucky. The prep 10-20 years ago was WAY worse than now. I have Crohns and have already likely had more colonoscopies than most of you will have in your lifetime, starting when I was 20. Try to be well rested before you start your prep because most times you wont sleep well the night before the procedure.

I had no issues with the propofol, it put me right out. Like, when she plugged it into my IV the nurse told me it might burn a little and that was normal and then BAM! I'm opening my eyes back in my little exam room. No nausea, just a little grogginess and I was able to walk out of the building with no problems.

I remember in my first colonoscopy the nurse said, "in just a second you won't care what they do to you." In the IV it went, and I said, "wow, that feels weird," and then I opened my eyes and asked when they were going to start. I was in the recovery room. It was done.

Did you not have to do a Covid 19 test before the procedure?

Thanks.

Nope, there was a nurse at a table when I walked into the office and she just asked me some questions (Do you have any symptoms, have you recently traveled overseas or been on a cruise ship, etc.) but I didn't have to take the actual test.

I remember in my first colonoscopy the nurse said, "in just a second you won't care what they do to you." In the IV it went, and I said, "wow, that feels weird," and then I opened my eyes and asked when they were going to start. I was in the recovery room. It was done.

That's exactly what happened to me! I didn't even dream or anything while I was out. My vision just got a little fuzzy, then suddenly I'm looking at the walls of my recovery room and the nurse is saying to me, "Wow, you woke up fast!"

I was very surprised that I didn't really feel all that dragged out afterwards. I expected to be really wiped out but after a few hours' nap, I felt perfectly fine.

53 here. Going in next week. Was supposed to be in March. Lol.

Good luck, hope everything goes well!!! My original appointment was in March too, then everything got shut down.

Last edited:
I just had my second one last year--I dont do well at any time of medical anything so I told Dh as soon as my eyes are open were out of there

so Im wide awake and tell hubby lets go--he said we have a bit--I asked why he said Ill tell you in the car--I said tell me or Im leaving--so he told me that when the dr came in he said I stopped breathing not once but twice-- just for a few seconds each time turns out I kept moving durning the exam so he kept giving my fentayl which wasnt working until it was all the floodgates opened and all the drug just poured into my system--causing me to OD on it and was given narcan--I requested a copy of the dr notes and on there is said my vitals dropped--nothing about not breathing--yea Ill say the vitals dropped--

not sure if Ill ever go back

yes it was fentnayl the last thing I remembered was talking to the RN she was showing me how theres comes in prefilled syringes--and I wanted to know what theres come in

Bumping this up to ask a question. I have my first colonoscopy coming up. I’m supposed to pick up a rental van that evening. Our business is doing a Xmas party the next day and I’m the designated driver. Will I be up for driving that evening? They haven’t scheduled a time yet so I don’t know if it’s morning or afternoon.

Bumping this up to ask a question. I have my first colonoscopy coming up. I’m supposed to pick up a rental van that evening. Our business is doing a Xmas party the next day and I’m the designated driver. Will I be up for driving that evening? They haven’t scheduled a time yet so I don’t know if it’s morning or afternoon.
I would say, no. The paperwork I got back said absolutely no driving for 24 hours (you MUST have a ride home from the hospital or they will not do the procedure, and that does not include and Uber or a taxi. It must be someone you know). It also says to not plan anything where you have to make major decisions and not to sign any important paperwork. Now, when I was released, I did not feel "impaired," but I'm sure that's what everyone thinks.

Will I be up for driving that evening?
I would say, no. The paperwork I got back said absolutely no driving for 24 hours (you MUST have a ride home from the hospital or they will not do the procedure, and that does not include and Uber or a taxi. It must be someone you know). It also says to not plan anything where you have to make major decisions and not to sign any important paperwork. Now, when I was released, I did not feel "impaired," but I'm sure that's what everyone thinks.
^^^^Exactly this^^^

I came home and slept for the next 24 hours. That's 24 hours past the time I got home, not 24 hours from procedure time. From my actual appointment time (9:00am) it was more like the next night I felt like I was back in the real world.

Oh shoot. I’ll have to find someone else to pick up the van that evening and then drive the next day. I can probably also arrange a car service.

Will I feel up to participating in a party the day after? We are doing two escape rooms for team building and then lunch.

24 hours is the norm before driving. But to be honest I would have had to take two days off work if follow that guideline. My most recent procedure was a year ago and I drove myself to work the next day however in reality because I had to be at work at 3 am and had the procedure at 9 am it was only 18 hours. But I felt pretty much back to normal by within a few hours of returning home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter