Colonoscopy

Oh shoot. I’ll have to find someone else to pick up the van that evening and then drive the next day. I can probably also arrange a car service.

Will I feel up to participating in a party the day after? We are doing two escape rooms for team building and then lunch.
So you should have potentially received a "packet" from the doctor's office ahead of your colonoscopy that has all of the "rules" and preparations you need to do. That is where I read the details about them not letting you go home in a taxi or Uber, what to eat, when to start your cleanse, etc.

For me, assuming your procedure is similar, if you are doing just the colonoscopy and there are no issues, you will likely feel up to going the next day (but I really can't speak to that for you). If they find issues, like small polyps or whatever, when they do your procedure, they generally take care of them right then. Again, you won't likely be uncomfortable, but you may be. Also, keep in mind that your body will just be bouncing back from a no food/totally cleared out state for two days, and you will want to potentially monitor what you eat until things get rolling again. I didn't really seem to have any issues, but the first day, they said liquid diet only, and the next day was supposed to be soft foods. I just ate my normal foods, I didn't seek out things like puddings or whatever, but I did eat smaller meals that were reasonably soft.

So you should have potentially received a "packet" from the doctor's office ahead of your colonoscopy that has all of the "rules" and preparations you need to do. That is where I read the details about them not letting you go home in a taxi or Uber, what to eat, when to start your cleanse, etc.

For me, assuming your procedure is similar, if you are doing just the colonoscopy and there are no issues, you will likely feel up to going the next day (but I really can't speak to that for you). If they find issues, like small polyps or whatever, when they do your procedure, they generally take care of them right then. Again, you won't likely be uncomfortable, but you may be. Also, keep in mind that your body will just be bouncing back from a no food/totally cleared out state for two days, and you will want to potentially monitor what you eat until things get rolling again. I didn't really seem to have any issues, but the first day, they said liquid diet only, and the next day was supposed to be soft foods. I just ate my normal foods, I didn't seek out things like puddings or whatever, but I did eat smaller meals that were reasonably soft.

The packet only says I can’t drive myself home or take an Uber. Nothing about resting for 24 hours after the procedure or a special diet afterwards.

I should probably reschedule the colonoscopy if I’m not going to be up and around the next day.

For me, I always pretty much sleep the rest of the day when the procedure is complete (I've had 5!). Absolutely no driving that evening for sure. I am pretty much back to normal by the next day though and would drive and go about my normal activities. Assuming you've never had any issues with anesthesia and the procedure goes smoothly, especially if the procedure is in the morning, I think you can do the day after activities you have planned but find someone else to pick up the van the evening of the appt.

I can probably also arrange a car service.
Just speaking to this part of it--I have no idea how car services work, but whoever comes to get you needs to be available by phone to drive up and get you. I was told that I should plan on 2-1/2 hours from drop off to pick up. That was the time it took for intake, getting prepped for the procedure pre-op, having the procedure done, and then a short time in recovery. The moment I hit recovery, they phoned my pick-up person, letting them know I would be ready in about half an hour. They continued to check for my person to show up at the door, and when he arrived, they wheeled me downstairs in a wheel chair to the car. I think their main concern about who picks you up is that they do not want to put you in a car with someone you don't know, because if your judgement is impaired or you are weak, the do not want to send you off with a stranger who may take advantage. Just something to keep in mind, and your facility may be different.

Just speaking to this part of it--I have no idea how car services work, but whoever comes to get you needs to be available by phone to drive up and get you. I was told that I should plan on 2-1/2 hours from drop off to pick up. That was the time it took for intake, getting prepped for the procedure pre-op, having the procedure done, and then a short time in recovery. The moment I hit recovery, they phoned my pick-up person, letting them know I would be ready in about half an hour. They continued to check for my person to show up at the door, and when he arrived, they wheeled me downstairs in a wheel chair to the car. I think their main concern about who picks you up is that they do not want to put you in a car with someone you don't know, because if your judgement is impaired or you are weak, the do not want to send you off with a stranger who may take advantage. Just something to keep in mind, and your facility may be different.

I meant arrange a car service for the party. I was planning to be the DD since there will be drinking.

I meant arrange a car service for the party. I was planning to be the DD since there will be drinking.

You might want to go a little light on the drinking the day after as you might be a little more tired than normal and still getting that anesthesia out of your system. Make sure to drink a lot of hydrating fluids to get everything flushed out. For sure, don't drive after drinking the next day!

You might want to go a little light on the drinking the day after as you might be a little more tired than normal and still getting that anesthesia out of your system. Make sure to drink a lot of hydrating fluids to get everything flushed out. For sure, don't drive after drinking the next day!

I don’t drink alcohol so that’s why I make the perfect DD :). But I’m not sure if that’s safer hearing I’m not supposed to drive for 24 hours.

I don’t drink alcohol so that’s why I make the perfect DD :). But I’m not sure if that’s safer hearing I’m not supposed to drive for 24 hours.
Sorry, I read DD as "dear daughter" and thought you were going to the party with your adult daughter. Assuming you feel fine that day and you're not drinking alcohol you are probably fine to be the designated driver.

Bumping this up to ask a question. I have my first colonoscopy coming up. I’m supposed to pick up a rental van that evening. Our business is doing a Xmas party the next day and I’m the designated driver. Will I be up for driving that evening? They haven’t scheduled a time yet so I don’t know if it’s morning or afternoon.

I had my last one in August of this year. I would suggest early morning if you get the choice and then I would say you would be ok that night. I was totally fine - felt a little discombobulated for a few hours afterwards, but otherwise fine. If you get an afternoon appointment, I would not suggest driving - it's just a spacy, weird feeling afterwards.

I was told not to drive for the rest of the day (and I did go home and sleep/rest), but was fine the next day and resumed all my normal activities, including driving. But I did have an early morning appt

I always feel fine after. I know people who sleep all day after the procedure though. I think it all depends on what they use to knock you out. Some meds will make you "out of it" all day, but I am usually fine shortly after waking up, whatever my doc uses does not give me a "hangover." I was allowed to resume activities the following day. Like the pp, I also had an early morning appt. though.

This is the first I've ever heard of advice not to drive for 24 hours. Here they are always done within the first two hours of the working day, and you're told to go home with someone who will stay with you overnight in case you have issues, but nothing about not driving the next day. I've always been told that I can drive to work first thing the next morning as normal as long as nothing goes wonky the day of the procedure, and I have done that.

I always end up eating about 5 small meals that day, because I'm starving but there tends to be residual gas after the procedure that makes me feel kind of bloated and limits how much I can eat at one time (They often introduce air to inflate the colon to make it easier to see. I always dread the time immediately after waking up, because I get excruciating gas pains within about 10 minutes; they don't last long, but they are nasty.)

PS: My stomach doesn't tolerate salt well, so I never buy the prescribed prep liquid, because it's always super-salty. I use what is called the Miralax prep, and I find that the flavor that seems to make it most tolerable to swallow is pineapple soft drink. I let the bottle of soft drink go flat, then use it to mix the powder as advised; usually it's mixed in an 8-oz glass. I chug that, and then follow it with water chasers at a normal rate. Doc has never complained; says the solution works just as well as the prescribed stuff, but it's not nearly as foul-tasting.

Last edited:
I had my first successful colonoscopy in years and years this year. I am a paraplegic with an extraordinarily slow digestive system so I has to do a clear liquid diet for a full week and then have a double dose of prep for three nights in a row. It was brutal but all was good and I don’t have to do it again for ten years. I am going medical science will have advanced by then!

My most recent colonoscopy was two years ago. I had a morning appointment. Went out for breakfast with the friend who took me for the procedure and then relaxed the remainder of the day. Did not drive that day, as instructed. I felt fine and was back to normal the next day.

Last edited:
It also says to not plan anything where you have to make major decisions and not to sign any important paperwork.

Had to quote this, DW had one done just 2 weeks ago, afterwards, the nurse was giving all the instructions and the last thing she said was "don't sign any important papers or documents today" and then told her to sign the form that she understood everything. DW and I got home and just laughed about it, don't sign any important papers, but sign here.

To lifesavacation, when I had mine done, it was done in the morning, went home, slept part of the afternoon, was fine that night, if you have it done in the afternoon, I would say no to the driving. You should be fine the next day, also, never was told anything about what to eat the next day. Common sense would tell you to eat a little lighter for the next couple days though. A hint on the prep, start eating a little lighter a couple days before the prep, maybe a little more jello? It makes the prep easier.

Had to quote this, DW had one done just 2 weeks ago, afterwards, the nurse was giving all the instructions and the last thing she said was "don't sign any important papers or documents today" and then told her to sign the form that she understood everything. DW and I got home and just laughed about it, don't sign any important papers, but sign here.

To lifesavacation, when I had mine done, it was done in the morning, went home, slept part of the afternoon, was fine that night, if you have it done in the afternoon, I would say no to the driving. You should be fine the next day, also, never was told anything about what to eat the next day. Common sense would tell you to eat a little lighter for the next couple days though. A hint on the prep, start eating a little lighter a couple days before the prep, maybe a little more jello? It makes the prep easier.

That is. a little unusual LOL. My dr. has me sign everything before the procedure is done, right before the anesthesia is administered. They give me discharge papers afterwards with results and instructions, but I don't have to sign anything at that point

Im in my mid 40s and have had Crohn's since my early 20s so Ive had a colonoscopy or ten! LOL A hard no on being able to for sure drive that night. Have you regularly had anesthesia? If so and you know how you react to various ones that will likely be the biggest factor in feeling up to doing something the next day. Ive had anesthesia that's knocked me on my butt for a day and a half and some where I was fine a half hour after waking. As far as having issues from the procedure itself, I wouldnt expect that to bother you a day later. Ive had many samples taken during some of my colonoscopies and other than some mild spotting there has been no issue (like with eating or pain).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter