Colonoscopy

i had plenvu too - the doc said he felt it was better tolerated than some of the others - even for him personally, that's the prep he chose. He was honest from the start that my insurance didn't cover that particular one like the others.

I paid a LOT for that prep. It was still horrible. Terrible to get the darn stuff down. Yet my spouse - who also chose plenvu - was "pleasantly surprised" and didn't think it was that bad at all. So there ya go.

I read a bunch of reviews on diff brand preps before buying and it's all over the map...some call one a nightmare, while others say that same one's pretty decent. Maybe it varies by individual - their personal taste, system, tolerance level?

I had made sure to ask my doc for an anti-nausea RX along with the prep RX and took it just prior to starting the prep, so that probably helped keep it down.

The colonoscopy itself was a breeze! Next time, I won't spring the extra $$$ for this prep though - wasn't worth it.
I found it very interesting to read this. I knew NOTHING about coloscopies before getting one. The person who did my initial consult didn't mention anything about different prep options and I also wasn't told that getting a prescription for anti-nausea meds was a thing. I was handed a prescription for Plenvu and given a "coupon," where I was told to go online, insert a special number, and then any cost OVER $50 would be covered. So, yeah, I spent $54 for the Plenvu prep and given the bright colourful flyer that came with it, I was left wondering if the doctor didn't get kick-backs or something for prescribing it. I have no other experiences to compare Plenvu to, so I have no idea if there is something better, but I just don't want to go through that experience willingly again. (Just to be clear, the expected results of the prep were not the problem, it was the chills and gag reflex that were overwhelming me, which were things I do not normally experience.)

I do agree with the whole "The colonoscopy itself was a breeze!" part. I won't be apprehensive about that part of it ever again.

Reactions: shh
I was given Plenvu (didn't realize there was a choice...none was mentioned to me), and not to be overly dramatic, but I will not survive that type of prep again. The initial flavour of the drink (16 oz. once in the evening and once in the morning for an afternoon appointment) was INTENSE SALTY. Once you had gulped that swig down though, the aftertaste was CLOYING SWEETNESS from aspartame. Trust me when I say it is many sips to the bottom of each dose and this is not something you could chug even if you wanted to. (I briefly tried and can usually power through stuff like this.) I got through the evening dose, but faced with doing the same thing the next morning, my body was rebelling. It took every ounce of my being to keep that stuff down long enough for it to work, in fact, my new "induce vomit response" thought is the taste of that intense salt/sweet combo.

But that wasn't the worst of it for me...THE CHILLS...OH MY GOODNESS THE CHILLS...that started within about 5 or 10 minutes of starting to drink it and didn't fully subside until midway the day after the procedure. I had SO MANY blankets on my side of the bed, just to keep warm. When I got to the hospital and hopped into the bed, the nurse brought over a blanket from the warmer and I told her that it was the first time I had been warm since starting the prep. When they woke me up right after the procedure, I was shaking uncontrollably. The same nurse said, "Are you cold?" but never went and got me another warm blanket, because at that point, they are just looking to get you out the door.

That was for my first procedure. You had better believe that I will be asking for something different when I go back next time, and if pills are an option, I'm getting on board that train. It would be hard-pressed to be worse than what I had the first time.
I got through my course of regular magnesium citrate only by chugging it like a freight train through a straw, which was as far back in my mouth as possible. (I read this technique somewhere). Even then I had to be standing over the sink because of the gagging and I demanded to be alone in the house for the entire process because I was simultaneously crying/swearing/hurling in the most undignified of manners. :crazy:

I got through my course of regular magnesium citrate only by chugging it like a freight train through a straw, which was as far back in my mouth as possible. (I read this technique somewhere). Even then I had to be standing over the sink because of the gagging and I demanded to be alone in the house for the entire process because I was simultaneously crying/swearing/hurling in the most undignified of manners. :crazy:
Ugh. Fortunately this is not something you have to do well, as long as you just do it. No points are awarded for style!

As long as the path was clear to our ONE bathroom, I was okay with the liquid prep, BUT having your 20 yr old son drive you home from the procedure (DH was working) and the gasses being emitted from Mom.......that was a whole 'nother story!! :blush:

As long as the path was clear to our ONE bathroom, I was okay with the liquid prep, BUT having your 20 yr old son drive you home from the procedure (DH was working) and the gasses being emitted from Mom.......that was a whole 'nother story!! :blush:

My biggest fear of the whole thing is the ride TO the procedure! The place is not that close to home and I worry about making it to the medical building in time before I have to go again.

My biggest fear of the whole thing is the ride TO the procedure! The place is not that close to home and I worry about making it to the medical building in time before I have to go again.

I was very worried about that also but after a visit to the bathroom around 5am......I was good to (not) go. :)

I'm scheduled for a Colonoscopy the end of January. The lady scheduling me ask if I wanted pills or liquid prep. Had no clue on the pills but am going that way. I would appreciate anyone's opinions on that kind of prep. :)
Over the past 25 years or so, since age 50 I think, I have had about 5-7 colonoscopies. Generally pre-cancerous polyps (mom died from colon/stomach cancer). I have always asked the gastro if liquid prep is still the best. He feels it is. One big thing he says is that it hydrates your system very well when dealing with a very dehydrating overall procedure. So, I do the liquid. It's is better the last two times as it is now suggested to do half the liquid the night before and the other half the morning of, rather than all the night before. Not bad at all. Though I would prefer a pint of Guinness. :drinking1

I also wasn't told that getting a prescription for anti-nausea meds was a thing. I was handed a prescription for Plenvu and given a "coupon," where I was told to go online, insert a special number, and then any cost OVER $50 would be covered.
EXACTLY my experience word for word. We paid $50/each, when other preps would have been free under our plan. (But again, doc was very honest about that and it was my decision to give it a shot.)

I only knew to ask for anti-nausea by researching every aspect of procedure and prep process ahead of time and reading of others experiences on various forums. (I'm a research maniac and vastly overthink every decision, sometimes to my benefit, sometimes to my detriment.) :rotfl:Doc never suggested anti-nausea, but when I specifically asked for it, he had no issues prescribing.

"it was the chills and gag reflex that were overwhelming me, which were things I do not normally experience.)" I experienced similar side effects (and never do ordinarily either), although it went away before I was there for actual procedure, unlike your experience. My spouse experienced nothing!

Definitely ask for the anti-nausea next time - I'd have given up in disgust if I couldn't keep the stuff down and had to start again or postpone the procedure.

Last edited:
This was not really an issue. I found that each course of prep (I did one the night before and one the morning of for a 2pm appt.) only had me looking for a bathroom for maybe a couple of hours each time. I was able to take my nighttime one at around 6pm and felt okay to go to sleep around 9pm. Same thing the next morning. Plus, they have you discontinue all fluids at least a couple of hours before your procedure, so there is really little hydration left to flow through you. I didn't have any "urgency" for a fair while before I needed to leave for the hospital.

Over the past 25 years or so, since age 50 I think, I have had about 5-7 colonoscopies. Generally pre-cancerous polyps (mom died from colon/stomach cancer). I have always asked the gastro if liquid prep is still the best. He feels it is. One big thing he says is that it hydrates your system very well when dealing with a very dehydrating overall procedure. So, I do the liquid. It's is better the last two times as it is now suggested to do half the liquid the night before and the other half the morning of, rather than all the night before. Not bad at all. Though I would prefer a pint of Guinness. :drinking1

Thank you, Dan. I'm still riding the fence on which procedure to have even tho I told her pills. I'm sure I can change it before Jan 31. Sorry, about your Mom. :hug:

Heck, that's the best part!

I did the Sutab prep. So easy! The pills are large and you have to drink a lot of water....but it's easy.

So I recommend Sutab to everyone :)
That's what I've got! I "get" to take them on Wednesday - for the procedure on Thurs. Good to know that the Sutab prep is easy!

I'm following along.
I really haven't had a problem with the liquid prep. I just swallow it all as fast as I can.
I'm due next summer. I go every 5 years.....like Dan, my mother died of colon cancer, so I am considered high risk.

I had my one and only (so far) colonoscopy (and endoscopy) when I was 10 and I think I'm still traumatized by the liquid prep. I remember throwing a crying fit because it tasted so awful and I didn't want to drink it.

• Sad
Reactions: shh

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter