Contemporary Suites Permits

Although a DVC Monorail resort would be nice...:woohoo:
I do not see them converting any part of the Cont. into DVC as this resort is the most popular of all the Monorail resorts and is also the least expensive which may also have something to do with that.... However the rooms are rarely discounted here.. So if a lot of theory holds true that some people have been saying as with AKV why not then convert some of the buildings of the POLY which is discounted often and they are and have been going through major rehab.. They would be easy to convert as there are a lot of seperate buildings and easy to section off as well....
Any Monorail DVC would be welcome but it just does not seem DVC will be doing this to an already cash cow and AKV which will take years to sell out due the size the time line seems off. Yes it is possible as they could have a higher price for the Cont but that has never been done before... I know there is space and talk to build a full DVC resort near MK and if there is demand they will but I am skeptical that it would be part of the Cont.

I do not see them converting any part of the Cont. into DVC as this resort is the most popular of all the Monorail resorts and is also the least expensive which may also have something to do with that.... However the rooms are rarely discounted here.. why not then convert some of the buildings of the POLY which is discounted often and they are and have been going through major rehab.. They would be easy to convert as there are a lot of seperate buildings and easy to section off as well....

the Polyn hardly ever participates in the discount. and hasn't. If you can find a discount room at the Polyn - please give the details.

I would love a Polyn DVC - but the Cont until this latest rehab had to discount rooms alot to get people to stay there. Disney does not like to discount their deluxe rooms.

this latest rehab has make it hot again (first time since the 70's), which is why this discussion is happening.

will it or won't it.

the North wing is GONE - sometimes is being build there.

the Polyn is more the cash cow than the Cont ever was.

:thumbsup2
that is one reason why - some of us believe it will be a DVC - at least partially. Florida timeshares law says so much of the building needs to be done before announcement. they didn't have to with SSR or AKV because the utilites and foundation work was done (okay they added to SSR). AKV is simply changing the rooms.

or someone else said - WDW hasn't yet made up its mind.

CRS or CRV or some combination of both. Who knows?

hey for all I know it might end up that parking lot.... but still don't think a parking lot needs plumbing....:happytv: :lmao: :rotfl2: :rotfl:

I don't think that's correct. All of the other resorts were announced before construction began and drawings released. I am positive BCV was announced before construction.

Eagle Pines was even officially announced and construction never started (see below).
http://allearsnet.com/acc/faq_dvcgolf.htm

They can't start pre-sales until construction is partially complete.

I've stayed out of this conversation mainly because I am confused (very easy to do). My contact says DVC is not in the cards...But evidence indicates a possibility. I am more inclined to believe mixed use.

On the north and south side of the 'C' there appeared to be 2, 2 bedroom villas on the inside of each side and 4, 2 bedroom villas on the ouside. So that's 6, 2 bedrooms on each side. On the front is wasn't so obvious. It looked like 4, 2 bedrooms on the inside and 6? on the outside. So that's 10, 2 bedrooms on the MK side. Total of 22, 2 bedroom units per floor. If you multiply that by 15 floors that's 330. Add some for first floor units. Subract some for GV's. Add some for dedicated studios and 1 bedrooms.

Thanks lisa! Those were the numbers I was remembering with my "300+" estimate.

that is one reason why - some of us believe it will be a DVC - at least partially. Florida timeshares law says so much of the building needs to be done before announcement.

NOT before it can be announced.

Before it can be SOLD.

the Polyn hardly ever participates in the discount. and hasn't. If you can find a discount room at the Polyn - please give the details.

I would love a Polyn DVC - but the Cont until this latest rehab had to discount rooms alot to get people to stay there. Disney does not like to discount their deluxe rooms.

this latest rehab has make it hot again (first time since the 70's), which is why this discussion is happening.

will it or won't it.

the North wing is GONE - sometimes is being build there.

the Polyn is more the cash cow than the Cont ever was.

We have a 40% room discount (pin offer) at the Poly - our res. is late Sept.

A bed ,a toilet , and a TV, are no longer enough for the American traveller. I have noticed among other hoteliers' websites, that suites are the new big "thing". Holiday Inn websites feature them, and they have kitchens,or fridges,microwaves etc. but no laundry. Some are not really that much more pricey than regular rooms. It would not surprise me to see CR get these kind of suites, that are also DVC available. Perhaps both are being planned for CR, with the difference between suite and DVC, is the laundry, and DVC membership/ perks. If the suite rate is low enough, it could cut straight to the heart of commercial DVC rentors, while giving prospective DVC members a taste of membership.

You are correct I should have refrained from saying Disney has stated there is - they would never do that. If they did, you'd see hotels pop up around Orlando to fill that need. Obviously Disney keeps things tighter than that. But I also am 1 of the biggest believers that this building will be split between standard rooms to replace the lost wing, DVC rooms, and suites. I don't think we are talking 150-300 suites - at least I never was.

Using Lisa's numbers, then, you're talking about 66 suites, using your breakdown later in this post.

Leaving only 176 DVC units. That's a MIGHTLY small DVC resort and, considering the problems with demand that the BCV have had...I find it tough to believe, given the size of the last two DVC resorts (800+ and with AKV 400+), that Disney would want to tread down that path again.

But we'll do some quick reads here. Obviously Disney thinks on-property demand for suites is high - or they wouldn't have worked with 4 seasons to move the development from Celebration to inside the park. Assuming it is average size, we are talking 200-300 suites in the 4 seasons (based on recent builds). Simply by making that agreement Disney is stating they expect that demand to be there.

Yes, demand for the 200 to 300 units that 4S brings to the table....but more than that? And again, I'm not sure why they would choose to compete with "themselves", essentially, by allowing a deal to go through that could cut into a market they wanted to grow internally with CR suites. It just doesn't make good business sense from my perspective.

In addition, there is the side comments about Disney selling out of suites regularly. But we'll assume the 4 seasons covers that - but don't forget - its not "Disney" and there is still value in the "Disney" name.

Not in the luxury accomodations business it doesn't. That's precisely the reasoning behind partnering with 4S. 4S DOES have good name recognition with the high end and ultra high end demo that we're talking about. Disney? Not so much. And to realize why you only have to look at the GF...which was conceptualized as a 5* resort but has never really gotten to that point. To "get" to the clientele Disney seems to be targeting would take quite awhile...while partnering with 4S gets them an instantly "known" product to offer.

There is also this:
Walt Disney World president Meg Crofton acknowledged the late arrival of Orlando, the nation's second biggest tourist city behind Las Vegas, to the world of luxury hotels.

"Orlando is now ranked No. 6 as a luxury destination," she said. "I think we can improve on that pretty quickly."

Well that makes them seem pretty interested, and this was in March - after the 4 Seasons announcement.

See, I think Ms. Crofton was specifically talking about what's coming at the 4S...not "hinting" at something not yet announced. Mostly because I don't think anyone would term close to 3 years from the statement being made "pretty quickly".

So lets look at what I mean by mixed use. We'll assume the CRV is a 16 floor building. Chop off 1 floor for 'services'. Make 4 floors general rooms to replace the wing that was lost. That leaves 11 floors. Mix those puppies up a bit - make 8 floors DVC and 3 floors suites... Without seeing the plans and adding in Conceirge type services we could put, what? 15 suites a floor? That would give us 45 suites? And the Grand Floridian already has 25? So its not a stretch.

I highly doubt you'll see any "general rooms" in the new construction...it just wouldn't make sense to put them there. The North Wing was deemed "expendable" for a close to 3 year period. That, to me, would mean the inventory was expendable "forever" and doesn't need replacement.

Figure 22 suites per floor, and give DVC 3 more floors, and CR one more.

CR suites: 88...which is about a 450% increase from what CR has right now. I find it hard to believe there is that much pent up demand now, and also hard to believe they can "grow the market" with those offerings considering the 4S going in across the lake.

DVC: 220....very much on the small side for a DVC resort, and likely to have exactly the same sorts of problems the Beach Club has...probably worse, since Beach Club has Epcot Location and Stormalong. Somehow, I think the MK location would trump that.

So my point is they can mix and match how they please. To say it won't be suites isn't necessarily true. Disney has committed to a 4-star hotel on property. They've stated they see a market for the luxury destination. They are beginning to make luxury consumer products. The golf courses, spas, weddings, etc. are all designed to be extended to the 'luxury' crowd.

Understand, I'm not saying it WON'T be suites....I'd never be remotely that 100% categorical. I'm saying I can't see, given what I know, how it makes sense to make it a mixed resort. I just don't....and I think there's more than enough anecdotal evidence to support that opinion, just as there is the contary opinion. Given all the other business agreements that have popped up recently.....well, I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

So, I agree there isn't a market to make a "suites" tower. But there also is a market to make some "suites" floors.

In your opinion. I disagree, unless you're talking maybe 1-2 floors...and then, why bother with the different construction layouts and costs for switching up? And then you also have to figure out how to split operating costs amongst DVC membership dues AND the hotel (yes, I know, AKV). How to split construction costs. There are just a lot of logistical "hurdles" in creating a mixed use building and taking those into account, I become more and more convinced a mixed use building is unlikely....alll IMHO, too, of course.

And to my original point - and maybe this deserves a survey - I think you will find a fair number of DVC owners who would be willing to pay significantly more for a DVC Suites program that was based on higher quality rooms and service. So you could even create some mixed DVC Suites/Suites type rooms and floors. If the Suites don't sell - rebrand them DVC. If the Suites sell and DVC doesn't, rebrand the DVC Suites as Suites. If they both sell - its off to the Floridian we go... (And the Grand Californian "Suites", etc, etc). I know this last part will be controversial - but I wouldn't be surprised to find out Disney is holding back some of the highly desirable locations for an "upscale" and more expensive DVC.

Chris

Pay more points per night for an MK view? Sure.

Pay more per point at purchase? Nope. And I'm not sure DVC would create a differentiated price point to confuse their customers, either. I'd be completely and utterly shocked if they created any sort of "upscale DVC" as a different level that existing members couldn't use. They would, IMHO, kill their product...because you'd have to make it a 2 way street. Those in the "new" DVC wouldn't be able to use the "old" DVC and vice versa (because you have to get to a zero sum equation on availability, to some extent). And I just don't see them doing that.....

The "upscale" unit ownership program will, IMHO, be left to 4S.

:
And to my original point - and maybe this deserves a survey - I think you will find a fair number of DVC owners who would be willing to pay significantly more for a DVC Suites program that was based on higher quality rooms and service. So you could even create some mixed DVC Suites/Suites type rooms and floors. If the Suites don't sell - rebrand them DVC. If the Suites sell and DVC doesn't, rebrand the DVC Suites as Suites. If they both sell - its off to the Floridian we go... (And the Grand Californian "Suites", etc, etc). I know this last part will be controversial - but I wouldn't be surprised to find out Disney is holding back some of the highly desirable locations for an "upscale" and more expensive DVC.

Chris

Actually DH is hoping that if built CRV will be more upscale than the existing DVC's. How they get there with either more $/pt to buy in to get "home resort" or have more points per night required. I don't think they are going to come out with a 2nd tier of DVC, just more points per night than the "small 3".

<SNIP>

I highly doubt you'll see any "general rooms" in the new construction...it just wouldn't make sense to put them there. The North Wing was deemed "expendable" for a close to 3 year period. That, to me, would mean the inventory was expendable "forever" and doesn't need replacement.

Figure 22 suites per floor, and give DVC 3 more floors, and CR one more.

CR suites: 88...which is about a 450% increase from what CR has right now. I find it hard to believe there is that much pent up demand now, and also hard to believe they can "grow the market" with those offerings considering the 4S going in across the lake.

DVC: 220....very much on the small side for a DVC resort, and likely to have exactly the same sorts of problems the Beach Club has...probably worse, since Beach Club has Epcot Location and Stormalong. Somehow, I think the MK location would trump that.

<SNIP>

Pay more per point at purchase? Nope. And I'm not sure DVC would create a differentiated price point to confuse their customers, either. I'd be completely and utterly shocked if they created any sort of "upscale DVC" as a different level that existing members couldn't use. They would, IMHO, kill their product...because you'd have to make it a 2 way street. Those in the "new" DVC wouldn't be able to use the "old" DVC and vice versa (because you have to get to a zero sum equation on availability, to some extent). And I just don't see them doing that.....

The "upscale" unit ownership program will, IMHO, be left to 4S.

So what is your take on this building? Your last post left me confused ;)

You say no general rooms, no demand for suites, and even if we add the 88 suites you mentioned above to the 220 DVC rooms - that still makes it a pretty small DVC. And there is the lack of DVC in the later documents - could be a distraction, but still worth noting. And suites? Why call them suites? To avoid Villas and speculation about DVC? Didn't work.

There is plenty of evidence from the past 2 years that Disney wants to go upscale. They've moved consumer lines toward upscale (partner with Drexel-Heritage, clothing, wedding dresses, etc). They've talked about putting 'themed' hotels in cities in lieu of expanding resorts. And other comments related to capturing the premium dollar client.

And it makes sense. Who else is going to do it? Don't millionaires have kids? Don't millionaires take vacations? There's a whole class of 'closet' millionaires that don't jet set around the world, but rather just like their space. But if a DVC room isn't "up to standards" as far as upkeep - why not put in suites? I'm not necessarily talking about italian marble suites here - just well maintained, high quality 1, 2, and 3 bedroom hotel suites. And what better way than to put them on a monorail resort?

As far as differentiating DVCs... I have no inside knowledge of this - but to me its a possibility. You talk about demand at a smaller, more desirable resort. Well one way you manage that is to control ownership. There are 2 ways to control ownership. Essentially charge double the points for the rooms - but if the buy in is still the same you'll have add-on galore. I can see people adding on 50 point contracts for CRV even if that means they only get 1 weeknight. They just make it their little treasure at the end of a trip to stay one night at the CRV. Lots of mini-owners, lots of churn, lots of mousekeeping for the check-in/check-out. Yuck.

The other way is to make the buy-in price high and the maintenance high. But to do that you have to offer more. So you make the CRV a DVC Suites 'class'. And people with DVC Suites pay more to buy-in. But a DVC Suite point is worth 2 regular DVC points. And regular DVC points are worth 1/2 DVC Suites point. So you can control the buy-in to CRV, you get the higher maintenance to "keep the rooms up", but you still have the flexibility of DVC. Unlikely? maybe. Possible? Yes. Completely based on a guess/opinion? Yes.

All of this is speculation. Anyone that says otherwise is kidding themselves or at risk of being fired. We do know a couple facts though:
1) There is a building going there and its 95+% a C-shaped tower for accomodations.
2) Its connected to the Contemporary by a walk-way.
3) You don't have the demand for $1000/night rooms to fill the entire tower.
4) You wouldn't put your $1000/night people in a separate building that requires walking or other transportation to get to. Thats not acceptable for that cost/class.
5) The documents are contradictory as to what it is, but it uses the term 'suites'.

I still think this is a mixed use building. And it depends on what class of "suites" go into this building as to whether or not we see a segmentation of DVC for a "higher class" accomodation.

Chris

So what is your take on this building? Your last post left me confused ;)

:cool1:

You say no general rooms, no demand for suites, and even if we add the 88 suites you mentioned above to the 220 DVC rooms - that still makes it a pretty small DVC. And there is the lack of DVC in the later documents - could be a distraction, but still worth noting. And suites? Why call them suites? To avoid Villas and speculation about DVC? Didn't work.

I said no general rooms. I didn't say "no demand for suites", I said "I don't think there's enough demand to fill BOTH the 4S resort and about a 450% increase in units at CR" There's a bit of a difference.

300+ DVC rooms would be about 50% bigger than Beach club (204 units), and about 25% smaller than Boardwalk villas. It would be big enough to avoid some of the demand problems at BCV, I think, and not be completely overwhelmed, but small enough to justify a points premium and make ownership (ie: the 11 month window) compelling. Remember, we're talking 300+ 2 BR units, probably mostly lockoffs...and hopefully preserving the "sleeps 5 in a 1BR" precedent set by AKV.

Why call them suites AFTER using the DVC moniker in earlier paperwork? Don't know. Neither explanation possible is 100% "satisfying". Maybe they simply haven't (or hadn't) come up with a DVC specific moniker that they liked. Maybe they switched over when it became apparent it wouldn't be "the next" DVC, while still evaluating what the building would become. Maybe, maybe, maybe....the truth is there's lots of ways to explain it, but NONE of them "fit" perfectly. We'll have to wait and see what comes of it to see if there was any real discernable rhyme or reason to it.

There is plenty of evidence from the past 2 years that Disney wants to go upscale. They've moved consumer lines toward upscale (partner with Drexel-Heritage, clothing, wedding dresses, etc). They've talked about putting 'themed' hotels in cities in lieu of expanding resorts. And other comments related to capturing the premium dollar client.

There's years (many more than 2...this is just the latest attempt) worth of evidence that Disney would LIKE to do this. They've had varying degrees of success at it, but mostly those "varying degrees" are at the lower end of the spectrum. Which begs the question: IF Disney was going to chase this same demo, internally, why partner with 4S. That's the million(aire) dollar question. Because, from a business perspective, it makes zero sense to fracture a market you want by allowing your competitor to set up shop, on land you own, right across the lake. If ANYONE could explain that inconsistency away, it would go a long way toward supporting the assertion this is a "mixed use" building.

And it makes sense. Who else is going to do it? Don't millionaires have kids? Don't millionaires take vacations? There's a whole class of 'closet' millionaires that don't jet set around the world, but rather just like their space. But if a DVC room isn't "up to standards" as far as upkeep - why not put in suites? I'm not necessarily talking about italian marble suites here - just well maintained, high quality 1, 2, and 3 bedroom hotel suites. And what better way than to put them on a monorail resort?

It makes sense to you. It makes little to me, in light of the 4S deal. You ask who else is going to do it...that's your answer: Disney brought in a known commodity to do it, to cater to a "discerning" (and you can read that however you want. :) ) clientele who has proven they favor specific "branding" when making many of their purchases. That's just the observed behaviors when dealing with that demo....

And even if you assume otherwise, and follow your line of logic, then where are they currently staying at WDW? And why would they consider a move to these suites if they're currently willing to book existing properties? Or do you think Disney's building this on pure speculation that they MIGHT be able to attract this new market? See, that's where, from a business standpoint, mixed use doesn't make sense to me. "Build it and they will come" is a poor justification for doing something, IMHO, especially in a case like this where you're dealing with a notoriously fickle demographic. And, again, that's why the 4S resort deal makes so much sense: You get their name, which is a draw unto itself, and can lure the market into your theme parks to get your hand in their wallets there. All while risking little to no capital.

As far as differentiating DVCs... I have no inside knowledge of this - but to me its a possibility. You talk about demand at a smaller, more desirable resort. Well one way you manage that is to control ownership. There are 2 ways to control ownership. Essentially charge double the points for the rooms - but if the buy in is still the same you'll have add-on galore. I can see people adding on 50 point contracts for CRV even if that means they only get 1 weeknight. They just make it their little treasure at the end of a trip to stay one night at the CRV. Lots of mini-owners, lots of churn, lots of mousekeeping for the check-in/check-out. Yuck.

Again, more points per night (though I highly doubt it will be double)....absolutely a possibility, I think. Charging more per point OR creating a "new category" of DVC? I think there's little to no chance of that for the reasons I mentioned before. Logistically, sales wise, public relations wise, and current member satisfaction wise it would be a nightmare. There's just so many "nightmare" factors to consider if they were to try doing this. Disney has a product that currently "works"...I don't think they will make a fundamental change that could alienate both current and prospective members when the benefit from doing so would be negligable. They'll just charge a premium number of points and/or maint fees (gotta cover the DVC portion of the monorail service, after all!!!).

The other way is to make the buy-in price high and the maintenance high. But to do that you have to offer more. So you make the CRV a DVC Suites 'class'. And people with DVC Suites pay more to buy-in. But a DVC Suite point is worth 2 regular DVC points. And regular DVC points are worth 1/2 DVC Suites point. So you can control the buy-in to CRV, you get the higher maintenance to "keep the rooms up", but you still have the flexibility of DVC.

Unlikely? maybe. Possible? Yes. Completely based on a guess/opinion? Yes.

Couldn't have said it better. Anything is possible. But it's pretty unlikely, IMHO.

On the maintenance...they can't really jack it up artificially. I think it would be higher based on taxes, the inevitable monorail maintenance, etc, but....it has to tie out to the budget and be justifiable based on expenses, etc. I'm pretty sure they can't just set it at, say, $7 per point, simply because they want to.

All of this is speculation. Anyone that says otherwise is kidding themselves or at risk of being fired. We do know a couple facts though:
1) There is a building going there and its 95+% a C-shaped tower for accomodations.
2) Its connected to the Contemporary by a walk-way.
3) You don't have the demand for $1000/night rooms to fill the entire tower.
4) You wouldn't put your $1000/night people in a separate building that requires walking or other transportation to get to. Thats not acceptable for that cost/class.
5) The documents are contradictory as to what it is, but it uses the term 'suites'.

I still think this is a mixed use building. And it depends on what class of "suites" go into this building as to whether or not we see a segmentation of DVC for a "higher class" accomodation.

Chris

We'll have to wait and see. I don't see us getting anything "official" for awhile yet....maybe once vertical construction starts in earnest, but....maybe not until closer to completion. We'll have to revisit this thread once we get official word to see which scenario plays out....

pilferk -
I think I agree with just about everything in your last post! I feel confident saying that the millionaire crowd will be drawn to 4S more than to Disney's first real attempt at luxury suites, which I can only assume Disney knows, thus the deal in the first place. ;) Three words: brand, brand, brand! The list is short for certain people when traveling: where is the closest Ritz or 4S? That simple.

Disney would have a LONG way to go before it would be compared in the same class as those hotels - the rooms really are in a whole separate class - not something that could just be seamlessly converted to DVC if the venture fails! It really would be like 2 entirely separate resorts in one. Fracturing your market really doesn't seem to make much business sense. JMHO. I guess we'll see at some point... :)

-
I think I agree with just about everything in your last post! I feel confident saying that the millionaire crowd will be drawn to 4S more than to Disney's first real attempt at luxury suites, which I can only assume Disney knows, thus the deal in the first place. ;) Three words: brand, brand, brand! The list is short for certain people when traveling: where is the closest Ritz or 4S? That simple.

there is a Ritz-Carlton in Orlando. So there is already a place for these people. not to mention JW Marriott, Hyatt Grand Cypress, Omni, MWC, and several others. the luxury, deluxe resort has been in Orlando for a while.

however it is not on or near WDW property. if they are coming to see WDW then they might like something closer.

4S must realize that the competition is already in Orlando and are still willing to bet on it. that seems to me that Disney putting suites in the new building would be fine too.

As far as sharing - hey the BWV and BWI - were designed that way. Why do you think Disney couldn't do this again?

of course I don't like that BWI is closer to Epcot than BWV is - and if they do with suites - putting them next to the MK and DVC next to the Cont - well it would still sell, just not as quickly.

nuts, is this the same contact that said they were just refurbing the north wing?
:rotfl2: Yep.,,which is why I am confused. She has been fairly reliable in the past. However, she has been very quiet on this one...which leads me to believe there is a lot of politics going on :confused3

pilferk -

Hmmm... I guess we're a bit mixed on this here. What is a millionaire crowd anymore? Where do you draw the line?

Again, I'm not talking JetSet millionaires here. I'm talking upper middle to wealthy income families (say $125,000/yr - $500,000/yr) that have vacations as a priority. They have 1-2 kids, they're in their upper 30s to 40s. They drive modest cars, live in decent houses with space, and have relatively large disposable incomes. They aren't JetSet, they're self-made, and shop at Walmart, target, Sams Club, etc. There's a huge demographic in this area.

Now, will they stay in a Suite? At $1000/night? No, probably not - its just not their 'lifestyle' and its a bit rich for their blood. 4 Seasons, Ritz's etc. - while they could afford them its not what they are used to and would take a family too.

This is the class I am talking about. They don't stay at the All-Stars, they'd prefer multiple room hotel suites, but they aren't gonna go for $1000/night. However, the typical 10 year old DVC suite might seem a bit "beat up". There's a middle market here. The $400-$600/night 2 bedroom "suite" that isn't italian marble. You might also find this "class" willing to pay DVC $150+/pt and $7-$8 maintenance fees/pt to stay on a monorail resort and have daily service just like a hotel.

Believe me - you're going to see a lot more focus on this class. Thats what Discovery Cove was designed towards. This class expects more space, a good value, a well-kept environment. And a typical hotel room doesn't capture that, and for some of them neither does a traditional "timeshare". DVC is a good mix - if it offerred the hotel amenities and kept the rooms up a little more - just my thoughts. ;)

Chris

This is the class I am talking about. They don't stay at the All-Stars, they'd prefer multiple room hotel suites, but they aren't gonna go for $1000/night. However, the typical 10 year old DVC suite might seem a bit "beat up". There's a middle market here. The $400-$600/night 2 bedroom "suite" that isn't italian marble. You might also find this "class" willing to pay DVC $150+/pt and $7-$8 maintenance fees/pt to stay on a monorail resort and have daily service just like a hotel.

...This class expects more space, a good value, a well-kept environment. And a typical hotel room doesn't capture that, and for some of them neither does a traditional "timeshare". DVC is a good mix - if it offerred the hotel amenities and kept the rooms up a little more - just my thoughts. ;)

Chris
This I think you might be right about - willing to pay more than current DVC to get a few more amenities. If CRV materializes and is more expensive - even potentially somewhat significantly - we'd be in (we call it our "monorail tax", though!!). I do think that many people in that "class" are also perfectly fine with DVC accommodations as they are, though. It's a family trip to WDW - save the luxury for New York or Paris without the kids. ;) I would worry from a business perspective how current DVC members would feel about almost a separate class of DVC...:confused:... sounds like a bit of a PR mess.

OK... so... my 2 cents...

1) the jet setters are at 4S now, or something like the Ritz in Orlando already
2) current DVC members are mostly happy with current DVC accommodations (I'm assuming?)
3) these... what... self-made mini-millionaires want something in between, BUT many are probably fine with renting current DVC accommodations for a family vacation

Not sure how much that leaves over to make suites profitable... :confused3 I just don't know... it's a question of how large the market is, I guess, but I do see your point about it being there.

SSR is definitely upscale comparing it to OKW (which I love) hey even to BCV.

DVC is definitely trying to attract the upscale customer already. I don't see that changing.

just look at AKV models at SSR - there is nothing homely or lived in (what I love about oKW) about them.

they are definitely upscale to me anyway.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter