• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Continued raising of prices with Disney, anyone thinking about selling out of the DVC more?

The MF last year was mainly due to the increase in min wage. Although it was a big blip. It was one that was needed. And one that will not keep repeating. Once raises stabilize should go back to the 3 or 4 % eaxh year

No, we are currently happy with the point totals and resorts where we own. We recently had a waitlist filled for a last minute trip to the Grand Californian and are looking to spend points on a night at Aulani for our family vacation next year, so we are quite pleased with our ownership at the moment.

The MF last year was mainly due to the increase in min wage. Although it was a big blip. It was one that was needed. And one that will not keep repeating. Once raises stabilize should go back to the 3 or 4 % eaxh year
Just how much are maintenance dues ?

We won’t be selling any contracts in the foreseeable future but we won’t be purchasing more points, either. The ticket and food prices aren’t really a deciding factor for us. We can always cook in the villa and I have a folder of unused, tickets that were purchased before surge pricing and expiration dates were a thing.

What would influence us to sell would be MFs rising every year at the rate that they did last year. We are easing into retirement and may not be able to cover thousands of dollars in MFs every January when we reach our mid-to-late 70’s. As it is, we have rented out about 1/3 of our 2019 points (mainly because we can’t use all of them) and will use that money toward the 2020 MFs. As long as we can rent out the points we aren’t going to use, we will keep the contracts.
wait did you say thousands of dollars in m f . I thought m f were only $100 to $150 a year regard where your contract is.....wow.

If anything, it makes me more glad I am a DVC member. I would still want to go to Disney, and having at minimum a studio with a microwave means that I can eat out only once a day, or not at all. And I can feel content knowing that I am buying an overpriced treat because I want to, not because I need the food because there's nothing else in my hotel room.

If I ever get sick of Disney, I can just rent out my points for a profit.

Last edited:

wait did you say thousands of dollars in m f . I thought m f were only $100 to $150 a year regard where your contract is.....wow.
Maintenance fees are based upon where you own, and are then assessed for the number of points you own. For instance, I own 345 points. Someone else may own 100 points, so I would pay about 3.5 times the fees that they pay. And remember, some people or companies may own literally thousands of points. Given taxes, maintenance, capital reserves for renovations, and labor/maintenance, no timeshare could operate on $100 to $150 maintenance fees per owner/member (in the US, anyway, foreign timeshares may vary) Add to that that DVC pays for transportation to/from parks, a management fee to cover Member Services, Member Accounting and so forth, they do add up. If you are interested in the price per point, see the DVC RESOURCE sticky thread at the top of this forum.

OKW fees were $7.23 per point for 2019.

Last edited:
Maintenance fees are based upon where you own, and are then assessed for the number of points you own. For instance, I own 345 points. Someone else may own 100 points, so I would pay about 3.5 times the fees that they pay. And remember, some people or companies may own literally thousands of points.
Wow.

We're not thinking of selling, but we have decided to go every other year instead of going every year. We actually look forward to the trips more (maybe we were getting Disney burn-out). It also gives us the opportunity to do other things (last year we went to Italy) and we end up getting a two bedroom now, so we have much more room.

I am retiring in 130 days, and the plan had been to add on some BRV points. This would allow us to go every year for a longer trip and take our whole family every three years. We also own HHI and plan on taking the whole family there every three years. With the increases in tickets and food at WDW, we have decided to hold off on BRV. We will continue going to WDW solo every year in a studio and will continue taking the whole family to HHI every third year. Our last trip for awhile with the whole family is over Thanksgiving this year, and I am using several of the old NE tickets. We had to buy only 3 tickets, and the cost was crazy. So no more family trips there until I have grandkids, and I may add on points then...maybe...

Last edited:
No plans on selling, but talking about renting out the points and trying RCI or renting out the points.

Bought in 2002 - added on several times...sold some after the kids graduated college and were all working....biggest regret of my life! Now I'm thinking about buying more to accommodate the in laws and grandkids!!! In a few years they'll all be over 3 and will count towards occupancy!!! Where to buy....where to buy....where to buy....To have my whole family all together for at least several days is a dream come true!

No. I am happy the number of points I have, but I have no plans to sell. It's interesting, the more points you have, the more it costs because you have to use those points (or rent them I guess). I rented points once now, and I'll do it again before I spend the money to add on. At 63, our points are used more for our trips with the kids and grandkids. These price increases I think impact DVC owners less than those guests who are the regular WDW customers.

When I go on vacation I don't want to cook,clean,make a bed, clean a toilet or do a darn thing but have fun. If you have to cook and clean ...heck just stay home.
I really don't mind having breakfast in the room. I like having my first cup of coffee and a nice breakfast out on my balcony. It is fast, I get exactly what I want, and how I want it prepared. The exception is pancakes and waffles, if I wake up in the mood for those, I go out. As a previous poster said, it sounds like you are probably not the best candidate for a timeshare or an outside vacation home rental.

When I go on vacation I don't want to cook,clean,make a bed, clean a toilet or do a darn thing but have fun. If you have to cook and clean ...heck just stay home.

Keep in mind that DVC is not like an Air BNB where you have to leave the place clean when you leave. There is still a cleaning service that comes in and cleans at the end of the trip. The difference between DVC and a normal hotel stay in terms of cleaning is that you don't get daily house cleaning. So when you come back from the parks during your trip, your bed is not made and your sheets aren't cleaned, unless you do it yourself. You can pay to have daily house cleaning should you choose to though.

In regards to cooking, nothing stops you from eating out. The benefit of the villas is that you have access to a kitchen or kitchenette should you choose to prepare your own food.

We have owned for 19 years. Almost empty nesters. Enough points. Have thought of purchasing additional points since the family is growing. We do want to start traveling to other places too now (in addition to Disney and DCL).

My son is now a family of 5 and even though they can still afford it (also a DVC member), they are starting to feel the ticket pricing for 5. One other son also a DVC member. DD not yet...getting married.

Do I get tired of the cutbacks, nickel and dime, price increases on everything? Yes. Sometimes I can get frugal/cheap and refuse to pay/buy certain things just for the principle of it.

We still enjoy it immensely. We can spend a ton in WDW and we can do it on a budget if needed. I would only sell my points or some if hubby was not here just to keep costs down (maybe).

We have done non-park trips (I did twice/dh once). We can do Vero Beach and HH. Some trips we spend a ton (if we are traveling with my kids) and some trips are just hubby and I.

If we were just starting as a young family, I could definitely see where it might reach the tipping point for many. We are just in a different stage of our lives where we can breathe and relax now.

Overall, I still feel WDW actually provides excellent value. You have to go in understanding that a WDW vacation is a luxury vacation. It is not in the same category as a weekend trip to a friends cottage, camping 2 hours from home, or visiting a friend in another city. It is more in the category of travelling for a week to a large US city, going on a cruise, or going to an all inclusive resort. If you look at it in those terms, the prices are reasonable for what you get.

Airfare: No more expensive than travelling elsewhere. In fact, MCO I've always found to have some of the cheapest flights around.

Hotel: Even without DVC, you can literally stay on property for $150ish a night in a value resort. This includes free airport transportation, luggage service, and free transportation throughout your vacation as long as you stay on property. While the hotels aren't deluxe level, its pretty hard to beat that price for the quality of hotel in most places in the US.

Food: Yes, in general, food at WDW is more expensive than you would find in most places. But that can be expected. You don't go to a concert, sporting event, or even a movie theater and expect a good deal on food. However, food at Disney isn't that bad. The quick service in general is wayyyyy better quality food than you can expect from your average fast food joint. So while maybe you spend a few extra bucks per meal, your ratio of quick service to table service can be much higher than a typical vacation without going crazy and feeling sick. I actually think I spend less on food at WDW because of this.

Entertainment: Yes, tickets at WDW are expensive, but if you travel for 7 to 10 days, the tickets become a lot more reasonable per day. If you travel elsewhere, your still going to have to pay for entertainment. Those museums, and entrance tickets to attractions still cost. Do a couple of things per day on a vacation and your likely spending atleast $30-40 per person. A 7 day one park ticket is about $70 per day. If you go 10 days, its goes down to $45-50 pe day.

Estimate of Total Cost for Family of 4 for 7 days

Airfare: 300 * 4 = 1,200
Hotel: 150 * 7 = 1,050
Food: 50 * 7 * 4 = 1,400 (5 = breakfast in room, 15 = lunch, 15 = dinner, 15 = avg for snacks, drinks, upgrades to a few table service, etc...)
Park Tickets = 500 * 4 = 2,000

Total = 5,650/4 = $1,412 per person. It's a pretty average all included price for vacations in these categories. Of course, it only goes up from there if you start adding things on like more deluxe hotels, special events, merchandise, more table service, booze, etc....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter