Coronavirus and DCL Megathread - Suspension of Departures for the fleet until early November. Booking only available from early December.

Looks like another round of cancellations are coming soon for DCL.

Next available sailing to book for each ship below...
Disney Magic - October 12
Disney Wonder - September 18
Disney Dream - July 31
Disney Fantasy - August 1
Wow—that’s quite a leap forward since the last announcement. Good for DCL; sounds like they are finally making a decision instead of just kicking the can down the road.

Disney Dream - July 31
Hmm, I checked yesterday after somebody said the WBTA was gone and at that point the Northern European cruises were still there... I thought maybe New York was the problem, now I think they were still removing them :(

BTW it doesn't mean the cruises are going to be cancelled quickly, they removed the Mediterranean cruises a long time ago and they still haven't cancelled all of them

Hmm, I checked yesterday after somebody said the WBTA was gone and at that point the Northern European cruises were still there... I thought maybe New York was the problem, now I think they were still removing them :(

BTW it doesn't mean the cruises are going to be cancelled quickly, they removed the Mediterranean cruises a long time ago and they still haven't cancelled all of them

Just to add if NY was the problem then October Magic cruises would be gone too and they are still showing to book. I do wonder if this might be more the "social distancing" rules and how they implement them rather than actual cancellations

Just to add if NY was the problem then October Magic cruises would be gone too and they are still showing to book. I do wonder if this might be more the "social distancing" rules and how they implement them rather than actual cancellations

My best guess is that this is the hoped for extent of the cancellations and DCL will announce them soon, ahead of the next release of sailings in the next month or so. The new release will bring in cash, so there may not be the same need to cancel in smaller increments.

So DCL is pretty much aligning themselves with Carnival and their 8/1 "projected" sail date. This is quite interesting because we know these dates a super preliminary placeholders at this point. Disney World was letting people book for June and we all know how that turned out.

The thing to really keep an eye on is the CDC and that no sail order because that changes everything.

Disney Dream - July 31
Thank you! This gives me hope that our 7/27 Dream cruise will be canceled. I feel like it's hanging over my head and just want to move on.

They do have plans for all those things, they are just not ready to share them with the public. Even if a phone CM was given a heads up on a future announcement, she'd lose her job if she disclosed nonpublic information to a caller. And frankly, given how frequently countries' requirements are changing and may change between now and August, it would be nuts for Disney to announce such plans now only to have to completely change it a month from now (but still two months before the cruise).

I know we all want answers, but there's also a cost to Disney rolling out things too soon. For example, at the US parks, Disney offered everyone with cancelled vacations a chance to rebook for June-September with a free dining promotion. They were wrong in their predictions, and are no longer able to open in June, and when they do open they may not have the restaurant capacity to accomodate free dining, so they had to pull the discount. Now people who rebooked for June are losing that promotion, and people with July-Sept reservations can't reschedule and still keep the discount. It's a mess, and people are angry. I think they learned their lesson not to try to predict too far in advance.

So where they leaves those of us with cruises in August is this: if you'd be willing to sail, no matter the restrictions, then by all means keep your reservation (I will). If you are not willing to sail, cancel. I know neither choice is perfect, but those are the choices we have.

We have already booked our flights, and hotel accommodation, we would be happy to do the cruise, but what if we can’t get there? What if the U.K. has another lockdown? Do we still pay penalties if we have to cancel because of this? I would like some reassurance.

We do of course have insurance, an annual policy, practically everyone in the UK takes out holiday insurance, butI haven’t looked at the small print re.pandemics.

I would have no hesitation moving it to next year, if they would honour the discount and OBC to make it more affordable at the higher price, but it seems a gamble to go ahead and pay over $6,000 now, without some indication that we won’t incur cancellation fees if we can’t get there!

Last edited:
We have already booked our flights, and hotel accommodation, we would be happy to do the cruise, but what if we can’t get there? What if the U.K. has another lockdown? Do we still pay penalties if we have to cancel because of this? I would like some reassurance.

We do of course have insurance, an annual policy, practically everyone in the IL takes out holiday insurance, butI haven’t looked at the small print re.pandemics.

I would have no hesitation moving it to next year, if they would honour the discount and OBC to make it more affordable at the higher price, but it seems a gamble to go ahead and pay over $6,000 now, without some indication that we won’t incur cancellation fees if we can’t get there!
Before the first cruises cancelled the US already had a travel ban and everybody affected by that travel ban could get a full refund, so that's what they did a few months ago, however, that doesn't account for a lock down in your own country or a potential quarantine when you get back, so there is no telling how they'll respond to that.

Also not sure about the UK, but here in The Netherlands, pandemics are usually excluded from travel insurance, unless you buy an extra policy to cover it (also covers if you're unwilling to travel due to a terrorist attack or natural disaster). I claimed a hotel booking after the event we needed the hotel for was cancelled (this sort of thing is covered) and they didn't cover it, because the event was cancelled due to the pandemic.

Reactions: K8T
Also not sure about the UK, but here in The Netherlands, pandemics are usually excluded from travel insurance, unless you buy an extra policy to cover it (also covers if you're unwilling to travel due to a terrorist attack or natural disaster). I claimed a hotel booking after the event we needed the hotel for was cancelled (this sort of thing is covered) and they didn't cover it, because the event was cancelled due to the pandemic.

When this all started, my annual policy (UK) emailed to say anything booked March was covered fully and would be until travel takes place as long as policy is renewed. A lot of policies have now evoked the pandamic rule so I believe but as long as you had insurance before most are still covering it in the UK. That said I don't know anyone as yet that has tried to claim so they might change that once you actually try. I've kept the email on purpose though.

When this all started, my annual policy (UK) emailed to say anything booked March was covered fully and would be until travel takes place as long as policy is renewed. A lot of policies have now evoked the pandamic rule so I believe but as long as you had insurance before most are still covering it in the UK. That said I don't know anyone as yet that has tried to claim so they might change that once you actually try. I've kept the email on purpose though.
Wow, that sounds very lenient! We got an email that they wouldn't cover unless you had the extra policy before January 30th (is that when the WHO declared it a pandemic?), we didn't have it, so far we've only lost the one hotel, which isn't too bad for us (all the DLP trips that got cancelled from under us, more then cover that) and we're still waiting for the response from the hotel if they maybe will allow us to move the booking. Already discussed with my husband, that if we ever get kids, we're getting the extra policy

We just received our cancellation notice for our B2B on the Magic for 07/13/2020 and 07/18/2020. Still offering 125% for use within 15 months.

We just got the dreaded email - our July 25 European cruise out of Dover has been cancelled:
With the wellbeing of our Guests and team members as our top priority and in line with direction from health experts and government officials, Disney Cruise Line is extending the suspension of Disney Magic departures through Sunday, July 26, 2020. This means that your sailing has been cancelled.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter