Coronavirus and DCL Megathread - Suspension of Departures for the fleet until early November. Booking only available from early December.

I’m not sure if this has been stated before. Even though most people are not in the “vulnerable” category , you can still spread the virus to those who are (older adults and those with compromised immune systems) so if you aren’t personally concerned, you can actually harm others by carrying and spreading the virus. This is why there is lockdowns, quarantines etc. they are containing the spread. I would for sure go on cruise right now, however, it takes one person onBoard to have a fever to sit in quarantine for 14 days. Imagine being locked in 200 sq foot space without any means to port. It’s definitely something to consider.

The price is my cruise (March 27) has dropped. We were already planning to sail next spring break, so I’m considering canceling my current booking, applying the credit to next years cruise and rebooking under the current rate. However, I would be losing out on the 10% OBB, which I believe would be more than the current discounted rate...hmmm...

Same. I’d like to move my April cruise to Nov or Jan. But if things simmer down maybe move it back sooner like August or Oct. anyone know if that’s possible still within 12 months?
MY TA said yes, as long as its in the 12-month window.

Has anyone within a penalty window for cancellation been able to get a refund on the refundable portion of the cruise while using the remainder towards a rebooking?

I can get 25% of my cruise fare back if I cancel in the next 2 days. Will Disney issue my 25% as a cash refund and allow me to use the non-refundable 75% on a rebooking?

With Dis stock close to the 52-wk low, you would expect some carrots for people to keep bookings and go to the parks. I expect with a good enough deal many people will be like "corona-what?"

We are now at the point where we may need to bail on our 3/21 cruise. We think our workplaces might need us to quarantine upon return, which is our breaking point risk-wise. The only cruise that will work for us in a "12 month" window leaves more than 12 months after the current one leaves, but returns less than 12 months (because current one is the weirdo 8 night). I know it says 12 month from sail date, but do we think they'll be flexible at all? Because if not, we're out the money.

It's so sad and feels so ridiculous.

Does anyone think cruises will start getting cancelled (due to not enough people on board) and/or extending the rebooking window?
I am actually holding out for this. I am not scheduled to cruise until next month. So, I am not messing with calling the last couple weeks thinking my cruise may just get canceled and I'll get a refund instead of a cruise credit. If that doesn't happen, I'll just rebook, but I'd like that refund so I can use the money to do something else that weekend.

ETA: My husband actually has his annual doctor visit today. I am going to have him ask the doctor if he will say that my husband cannot cruise due to being on heart medication and being over 60. It actually might not make any difference as far as travel insurance goes. I think it probably would be excluded since it was an underlying condition.

ETA2: Just reread my insurance policy and we wouldn't be covered for preexisting because I didn't buy the policy within the first 2 weeks of booking the cruise. It would have been covered if I purchased the insurance within the first 2 weeks of booking. That is with Allianz in case anyone is looking for cruise insurance in the future.

Last edited:
What is a CM and TA??

QUOTE="Madame, post: 61653116, member: 509240"]
DCL fills their ships with CMs & TAs (we sail usually at the end of Aug & believe me, there are many....) at vastly reduced rates while making it look like they are full year round in order to justify their rates. Meh, even these rebooked “lower” rates are still too high. I normally have an annoyingly high bar of morality, but this doesn’t bother me at all.
[/QUOTE]

This is true! the first Disney Cruise I went on was the first time Disney sailed out of Galveston Texas. It was not at full capacity and our table mates and many of the people we met there were TAs and local news people who were booked to give reviews for their shows.

This is a great opportunity for education and to crack down on anti-vaccine crowds. What you say is true for most contagious diseases on the planet.

I’m not sure if this has been stated before. Even though most people are not in the “vulnerable” category , you can still spread the virus to those who are (older adults and those with compromised immune systems) so if you aren’t personally concerned, you can actually harm others by carrying and spreading the virus. This is why there is lockdowns, quarantines etc. they are containing the spread. I would for sure go on cruise right now, however, it takes one person onBoard to have a fever to sit in quarantine for 14 days. Imagine being locked in 200 sq foot space without any means to port. It’s definitely something to consider.

We are now at the point where we may need to bail on our 3/21 cruise. We think our workplaces might need us to quarantine upon return, which is our breaking point risk-wise. The only cruise that will work for us in a "12 month" window leaves more than 12 months after the current one leaves, but returns less than 12 months (because current one is the weirdo 8 night). I know it says 12 month from sail date, but do we think they'll be flexible at all? Because if not, we're out the money.

It's so sad and feels so ridiculous.
My work may require me to quarantine for 2 weeks, but my cruise isn't until August. That gives me time to budget for it. It would be a bummer to have that happen unexpectedly.

Has anyone within a penalty window for cancellation been able to get a refund on the refundable portion of the cruise while using the remainder towards a rebooking?

I can get 25% of my cruise fare back if I cancel in the next 2 days. Will Disney issue my 25% as a cash refund and allow me to use the non-refundable 75% on a rebooking?
I don't know if they will split with a refund back and future credit - that sounds like a mish-mash of the old and temporary policies. It's probably one or the other. But you can always call to ask.

Enjoy your cruise!

I am a doctor and I agree that this is fear mongering and drama seeking at its best. Infectious diseases are all around us and we are always at risk. Wish we would spend as much energy discouraging the truly dangerous anti-vaccine crowd, and, of course, washing our hands. Hoping that science and common sense will prevail here, but I recognize how unlikely that is. Of course you should be cautious if you are sick or frail - but isn’t that always true? The best thing we can do for ourselves and for the economy is to just settle down and heed the facts.

I
All the travel bans, quarantines and cancelled events have a real psychological effect on people. It gives the appearance that were dealing with a virus that is extremely lethal. A few years ago there was a string of terrorist attacks in Europe. 10 of my family members were set to go on a river cruise through Germany. Eight of them cancelled. The two that went had a great time and of course, nothing bad happened to them. Media propaganda can really mess with peoples common sense.

All the travel bans, quarantines and cancelled events have a real psychological effect on people. It gives the appearance that were dealing with a virus that is extremely lethal. A few years ago there was a string of terrorist attacks in Europe. 10 of my family members were set to go on a river cruise through Germany. Eight of them cancelled. The two that went had a great time and of course, nothing bad happened to them. Media propaganda can really mess with peoples common sense.
Is the media keeping that Princess ship off CA? Because that is what has me nervous! We sail in a few weeks and I can tell you the info I have gotten from the media has me not so worried about my physical well being. The government quarantining people, and sending really very mixed messages, is what has me anxious and uncertain.

Is the media keeping that Princess ship off CA? Because that is what has me nervous! We sail in a few weeks and I can tell you the info I have gotten from the media has me not so worried about my physical well being. The government quarantining people, and sending really very mixed messages, is what has me anxious and uncertain.
No the media is not keeping the ship off the coast of CA, but I think most people got my point.

[/QUOTE]

This is a good question - I’d love to know the answer, if you get one.

No the media is not keeping the ship off the coast of CA, but I think most people got my point.
This is the third ship that has been quarantined. So maybe you're not getting their point. I have no fear of traveling right now, and when we do, we will self-quarantine from anyone in our family that is at risk. But there is a real risk with cruising currently of being quarantined outside of self-quarantine and that is what is a real concern for a lot of people both from a financial and life planning standpoint.

This is the third ship that has been quarantined. So maybe you're not getting their point. I have no fear of traveling right now, and when we do, we will self-quarantine from anyone in our family that is at risk. But there is a real risk with cruising currently of being quarantined outside of self-quarantine and that is what is a real concern for a lot of people both from a financial and life planning standpoint.
Trust me I get that. I was referring to the population in general not specifically people on these boards.

I agree with you. If DCL or the CDC could guarantee me I will not be held on the boat or in some other quarantine post cruise, I would almost certainly still take my cruise. They very real threat of quarantine is what is causing us to most likely cancel.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter