Coronavirus and DCL Megathread - Suspension of Departures for the fleet until early November. Booking only available from early December.

I Never said I was vulnerable, I just think there will be choices given to people if they are though

I no royal Caribbean are letting u cancel your cruise up to September so far to pick another date and can cancel up to 48 hours before your cruise for another date

I no Disney are already letting people change there mid July to end of July cruises on the magic for another date and I think that will be extended as a lot of cruise lines are giving people more options. I think disney will follow. If people are to worried and want to change dates I can’t see Disney not doing this when other lines are
I’m just saying unless Disney changes their policies for everyone I wouldn’t count on getting a refund if ship sails. Since they removed discounts on all the sailings that may mean they are going to cancel them. I actually don’t know what it means, but there’s an awful lot of room left for them not to be offering GT rates.

I’m just saying unless Disney changes their policies for everyone I wouldn’t count on getting a refund if ship sails. Since they removed discounts on all the sailings that may mean they are going to cancel them. I actually don’t know what it means, but there’s an awful lot of room left for them not to be offering GT rates.

tbh I’m trusting disney will only sail if it’s safe and mainly rebooked cos I do trust them with this. But when u think to much about it, you really do wonder how they can sail these ships safely

I guess time will tell 🤷‍♂️

Just posting as a PSA--if you got the 125% do check with DCL/your TA what amount of FCC DCL has. Just got off a very long call with DCL where I asked what the onboard credit was for our rebooked cruise, and when it was a lot lower than I thought, they dug into it and eventually found out we had only been given credit for 3 out of 5 of us on my prior cancelled sailing (same stateroom--so that wasn't it). They couldn't figure out what went wrong, but were able to confirm I had booked the prior cruise for all five of us, and they contacted accounting to give us the remaining credits.

Obviously this is a first-world problem and we are super grateful to have any kind of credit when we weren't expecting it, but I'm sure glad I called to confirm and would highly recommend that others double check the math too!

Anyone have an idea when we might expect the next round of cancellations (assuming there will be more cancellations)?

It’s anyone’s guess, but I’d guess maybe a month ahead if the next cruise date.
I agree....and it really is anyone's guess at this point. Carnival & Royal seem to make their announcements before DCL. We currently have Carnival cancelled through 6/16 and Royal through 6/11...

We'll probably see those other cruise lines start making their announcements towards the end of this month with Disney following suit. That can all change if the CDC comes out with any new updates. Their last update was on 4/9 when they extended their no sail order for another 100 days. I believe that date puts us at 7/18.

I agree....and it really is anyone's guess at this point. Carnival & Royal seem to make their announcements before DCL. We currently have Carnival cancelled through 6/16 and Royal through 6/11...

We'll probably see those other cruise lines start making their announcements towards the end of this month with Disney following suit. That can all change if the CDC comes out with any new updates. Their last update was on 4/9 when they extended their no sail order for another 100 days. I believe that date puts us at 7/18.

The April 9 order was published in the Federal Register and put into effect on April 15, so it puts us at 7/24: https://www.federalregister.gov/doc...otice-of-modification-and-extension-and-other

tbh I’m trusting disney will only sail if it’s safe and mainly rebooked cos I do trust them with this. But when u think to much about it, you really do wonder how they can sail these ships safely
A person's safety from COVID is based on the strength of their immune system, in addition to any breathing or lung issues they might otherwise have. The factors that mediate immune system strength involve age, weight, underlying medical conditions, etc., and therefore are extremely variable by individual. When it is safe for one person to go out is not when it's safe for another to go out. Which means that Disney cannot decide for you when it's safe to sail. Only you can do that, taking into consideration your doctor's advice. It's your responsibility, not theirs.

A person's safety from COVID is based on the strength of their immune system, in addition to any breathing or lung issues they might otherwise have. The factors that mediate immune system strength involve age, weight, underlying medical conditions, etc., and therefore are extremely variable by individual. When it is safe for one person to go out is not when it's safe for another to go out. Which means that Disney cannot decide for you when it's safe to sail. Only you can do that, taking into consideration your doctor's advice. It's your responsibility, not theirs.

very true. But Disney and other lines will see it’s also there responsibility a bit as well because if people just start dying on ships with covid, cruises will just stop again

True, although there are also reports of young, physically fit people dying because their immune systems are overreacting to the virus and attacking the body’s organs. People’s reactions to the virus seem to be very unpredictable.

True, although there are also reports of young, physically fit people dying because their immune systems are overreacting to the virus and attacking the body’s organs. People’s reactions to the virus seem to be very unpredictable.
Unpredictable in that there are outliers, but very predictable when you look at the data as a whole. Without question, if you are under 18 your risk is basically zero. If you are under 65 without other significant health issues, your risk is low. If you are over 75, your risk is relatively high. Again, there are outliers, but most people should be in a position to make a well educated estimate of their risk level.

Just posting as a PSA--if you got the 125% do check with DCL/your TA what amount of FCC DCL has. Just got off a very long call with DCL where I asked what the onboard credit was for our rebooked cruise, and when it was a lot lower than I thought, they dug into it and eventually found out we had only been given credit for 3 out of 5 of us on my prior cancelled sailing (same stateroom--so that wasn't it). They couldn't figure out what went wrong, but were able to confirm I had booked the prior cruise for all five of us, and they contacted accounting to give us the remaining credits.

Obviously this is a first-world problem and we are super grateful to have any kind of credit when we weren't expecting it, but I'm sure glad I called to confirm and would highly recommend that others double check the math too!

I dont believe you are the first to report such a problem. There was a thread a couple of weeks ago maybe (but with the way the days are blending, who knows) where the OP couldnt figure out how DCL was giving credit. Once she posted the base fares IIRC it looked very clearly like passengers 3 & 4 werent being given the extra 25%. So I'd say particularly those with more than 2 to a stateroom need to look at the credit they are being given very carefully, it seems like extra passengers may be getting left off.

This "trend" might be worthy of either bumping up that thread as a more visible PSA or creating your own thread if you dont feel like going on a scavenger hunt. Since I am not in the situation I'd feel a little awkward about creating a thread but I do think this warrants higher visibility than being in this mega thread.

Unpredictable in that there are outliers, but very predictable when you look at the data as a whole. Without question, if you are under 18 your risk is basically zero. If you are under 65 without other significant health issues, your risk is low. If you are over 75, your risk is relatively high. Again, there are outliers, but most people should be in a position to make a well educated estimate of their risk level.
Statistically the risk is extremely low for any age group.

We have a cruise scheduled for early October, with a PIF due on 6/27. Seems like it’s a ways off but it’s really not.

I know a lot of lines are stating that they will resume sailing sometime in the summer, but those dates seem to keep slipping.

Since there won’t be a vaccine by October, and since social distancing really isn’t feasible, I am idly wondering what the odds are of there being some kind of effective treatment by then (i.e., something better than remdesivir) whereby - perhaps along with rapid testing prior to embarkation/debarkation - the CDC and other health officials are willing to sign off on cruising as “safe enough”.

Nobody knows the answer, of course. So I am now wondering if I should just reschedule and save myself the hand-wringing. Hopefully, the picture will be clearer by my PIF.

Last edited:
Since there won’t be a vaccine by October, and since social distancing really isn’t feasible, I am idly wondering what the odds are of there being some kind of effective treatment by then (i.e., something better than remdesivir) whereby - perhaps along with rapid testing prior to embarkation/debarkation - the CDC and other health officials are willing to sign off on cruising as “safe enough”.
I don't think cruising is going to be delayed until the risk from COVID is almost nil. The cruise lines would be out of business by then, as it could be years until either herd immunity is reached or a safe and effective vaccine is ready for widespread use.

Ultimately, our nation's ports are controlled by our elected officials, and most of them don't want the cruise industry to die on the vine. After a few months, our ports will probably open, along with the rest of society, as it dawns on all of our leaders that we can't realistically lock down our economy for several months on end. I think a federal ban on lawsuits against institutions by people who get COVID is the key to society getting back to normal.

Remdesivir is not a magic bullet, but it's very promising and might eventually be discovered to be even more effective if taken earlier in the course of the disease (like Tamiflu).

Last edited:
I don't think cruising is going to be delayed until the risk from COVID is almost nil. The cruise lines would be out of business by then, as it could be years until either herd immunity is reached or a safe and effective vaccine is ready for widespread use.

The CDC and other health officials don't control cruise ships' access to our nation's ports: state and federal elected officials do, and most of them don't want the cruise industry to die on the vine. After a few months, our ports will probably open, along with the rest of society, as it dawns on all of our leaders that we can't realistically lock down our economy for several months on end. I think a federal ban on lawsuits against institutions by people who get COVID is the key to society getting back to normal.

Remdesivir is not a magic bullet, but it's very promising and might eventually be discovered to be even more effective if taken earlier In the course of the disease (like Tamiflu is).

I agree. Something is going to happen. I guess it’s the “not knowing exactly what” that brings the most concern.

Perhaps the earnings call on Tuesday will give us more to wrap our arms around.

I’m thinking (hoping) it’ll be rapid tests for active infections and antibodies when arriving at embarkation port. Obviously, if you test positive, you don’t sail. If you test negative but don’t have antibodies, you agree to daily tests. If you have antibodies (and we have a better tests and a better idea of what kind of immunity the antibodies provide), then you’re cool.

I am heartened by Dr. Fauci’s enthusiasm for remdesivir, but how long will it take for Gilead to manufacture enough whereby cruise ships can keep sufficient doses on-hand?

I peg my odds of sailing as planned in October at 75%. I just wonder what the sailing will look like. If too much stuff is altered/restricted/removed, do I just reschedule further out when things might be just a little closer back to normal?

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter