Couch to Half Marathon in 16 weeks

mckay94

Earning My Ears
So my mother convinced me, a huge Disney fan, to run the half marathon during Disney's Marathon Weekend. So the half is on January 9th 2016, which is about 16 weeks from today. As of right now, I can run a minute, walk a minute and a half for about 1.75 miles before basically dying. I am currently doing the couch to 5k app, week 2. And I'm getting nervous
icon_disappointed.gif
. A little background about me. I am a 21 year old female whose 5ft tall and 140lbs, which is overweight for my height. I gained about 20 lbs when I entered college and really want to get that off but hopefully that will come with eating better and running.

Onto my question, do you think its possible for me to pull this off? I do not mind running/walking this half as long as I keep at least a 16 min mile which is the required pace. Also, do any of you recommend a certain plan to help get me through? Any help is greatly appreciated! I am a total newbie when it comes to running!

Congrats on making the jump. I'm sure you can do it. Just follow a good training program like one from Jeff Galloway.

Yes, it is possible to do. I agree follow a training plan, probably Galloway's since you are new to running and you could always modify with an extra run day in there if you feel like it after awhile. I have been running for years and it's never easy, but if you set your mind to it you can do anything. Some training days will be easier than others. Bad runs will happen, but don't let them bog you down, as it's all learning and in the long run helps you. Good luck! Try to work in a little core work/strength and will help you too, just little things make a difference!

Absolutely. Find a plan that works with your schedule and stick to it. And make sure to go to a running store to get fitted for a pair of running shoes. :)

i agree with everything mentioned above!!
I tried the c25k program but switched to the Galloway program, it will be more forgiving for you... At least that was my experience!..... And get in your miles during the week, find a run walk run ratio that doesn't leave you dying after a mile .
Jeff galloways training programs are on the RunDisney site. Look at his site for information too.... And of course, Disboards has LOTS of experienced runners with good information, no, make that great information and a lot of enthusiasm
See you in January!!

.... When I got sick then had to restart my training, I dropped down to 30/30 ratio. My ego took a hit til reality struck and I remembered that I do this for fun and the amazing feeling of accomplishment I get when I complete these goals. I'm not going to break any records. I here for the fun, and the goal, and to do both safely. People on this site reminded me of that!
If you are that winded you might be pushing too hard on your runs, slow your run segments down enough to be able to hold a conversation... Even if it's with yourself!
Then come back and tell us how you did
:)

I would just caution you to listen to your body. There is pushing through discomfort and ignoring pain. The former is something all runners have to do at one time or another, the later is a recipe for turning a small injury into a big one.

If you goal is just to finish the half and you don't get up to 13.1 miles of run/walk you have the option of using the run/walk to get enough cushion between yourself and the sweepers before completing the distance by only walking. This may mean not stopping for pictures or stopping for less but will let you earn your medal.

Lots of options, just take care of yourself in your training.

I ran my first half marathon only 8 weeks after running my very first 10k (which came, roughly, 6 weeks after I began running consistently).

This is the plan I used for my first half:
http://mba.tuck.dartmouth.edu/pages/clubs/triathlon/training/Half_Marathon.htm

I followed it almost exactly - especially on the long runs. For the minute-based runs, I had an idea of my many miles I could do in that time and focused on more whole mileage that actual time running, but that was a personal choice.

Good luck and see you out there!

I did couch to 1/2 marathon in 15 months, with a 2 month break to heal from a hip flexor.
You can absolutely do this.
Get the right shoes, listen to your body, find a great training plan.
My own advise from personal experience - don't get too overeager. I pushed myself way too hard the first couple of months - which caused the injury. Everyone's different, but concentrate on finishing.

As I read somewhere - no matter how slow you run, you're lapping the ppl watching TV. (Just stay below 16:00!!) :)
Good luck and happy training.

I started running seriously about two years ago. I ran sporadically before that, the longest run being about 2.5 miles, but I typically ran about 1.75 miles.

I signed up for the W&D half and followed Galloway. Here is my experience. I found it easier to continuously run, rather than run walk. So if run walk works for you great, but just because a lot of people find it easier, doesn't mean you will find it easier. I did what Galloway said, meaning no matter what, I finished the time or mileage--meaning I ran until I couldn't and walked the rest of the way. The first week, I could not run 30 minutes (as Galloway has planned for beginners). By week three, I was running all 30 minutes for the most part, although occasionally, I had bad runs and walked. So my advice, is pick a plan and stick to it.

Also, by continuing the time (or distance depending on what was scheduled), I learned that during my runs I go though cycles. From 2.5 to 3.5 miles, my head is begging me to stop. If I ignore it, my runner's high comes back until about 6 miles, and then my head is at it again. I keep going, and I am good again. That is typical for me. But like the others said, make sure it's your head screaming at you to stop and not your body. One way I combat my head is to time my run so I am really far away from my car (or my home, depending on where I started) when my mind negativity kicks in, because then, my mind at least acknowledges that I can get home faster (and quit) if I continue to run. By the time I get back, I am on my high again.

So, if you are really dying, then adjust. You don't want an injury. But also ask yourself, is your body dying or is your mind working on you?

Definitely possible. No need to try to set any time goals (other than to stay ahead of the sweeper!)...just train as best you can and then enjoy the morning of the race. I did the marathon five years ago (20 degrees at the starting line...lovely Florida weather!). My running buddy had to back out due to some medical issues and, when race weekend came, I simply wasn't ready to run the whole thing, but I had signed up and committed and couldn't be happier that I stuck it out. Did my share of walking and, with all that Disney does during the races, it was an absolute blast (and I wasn't even doing it with family/friends...just me). As soon as I crossed the finish line, I said I wanted to do it again sometime. That time hasn't come - ha! -- but I did just sign up for the new Star Wars half in April, so I guess that's my next big one.

You will be absolutely shocked at how many people who are "out of shape" (in the world's view) sign up not only for the 5k or 10k, but also the half, full marathon and even the Goofy/Dopey challenges. I remember seeing some people on that Sunday afternoon wearing all their medals and wondering how in that world they finished upright. They might not have finished a race quickly, but they had a blast and managed to get lots of exercise at the same time. A Disney race is as much an entertainment event as it is a true race (at least for 95% of the field). Treat it accordingly, and you'll want more.

As everyone else said yes...but.... be prepared to walk a lot during the race. Disney is very forgiving with their sweep time. There is a group of people called the balloon ladies who walk every race, so unless you are injured you can finish it just fine. Honestly my first half, I had trained OK for but I could have tried harder (lesson learned). I finished in 3.5 hours (my goal was under 3). Emotionally it bothered me and physically I was exhausted for days since I pushed my self too hard. My next race (2 short weeks later) I finished in 3:05 and felt a lot better physically and mentally since I knew I would have to walk quite a bit going in to the race and I was ok with that and not pushing myself so hard actually decreased my time by quite a bit. (Bit I will tell you that 5 minutes still irks me. Why couldn't I have gone just a little faster? lol)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter