Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
You would be surprised how many grandparents were in the parks over Thanksgiving, and even some elderly/older couples traveling alone. I think right now a lot of the business loss can be chalked up to internaltional travel and conventions, but there are still enough people willing to travel right now of all ages. We did meet a couple of the UK last week who had chartered a private jet to come over, obviously not possible for more people, but he said for his family it was only a bit more expensive to do that than fly commercial. I think if Disney wasn't concerned with keeping occupancy at a relatively safe number those parks would have been packed last week, at least on Thanksgiving day anyway. Going forward I don't even think Disney knows what it's doing, they're kinda having to fly by the seat of their pants, throw stuff at the wall and see what sticks for bringing guests back. I think park hopping, even in its modified form, will help, but really this is all so fluid and different it's impossible to speculate what Disneys biggest issue is and how to solve it.

While I’m sure people see a lot of elderly/older people in the parks, there are also many people who are deciding not to. People of all ages are deciding not to travel right now when they otherwise would. Look at how many people are on planes, in airports, how many flights go out and come in a day. Much less traffic than normal.

There are people from every age category and situation not willing to travel right now. And there are people from every category still willing to travel right now. It can’t really be pegged on one group or another. It’s all of it together.

Last edited:
Regarding discounts, we are currently booked for June with a pin code discount that got us 35% off at the Riviera. I usually get a pin every year and this is the largest I have received. We are still 50/50 on whether we will go due to a variety of reasons, but we wanted to lock in the rate on the room we wanted.

I am currently booked at POP in April but like so many of you, I am questioning my decision due to the lack of "perks". I won't have a car so I am trying to factor in the cost of Uber/Lyft instead of DME and Disney transportation. It is just me and my daughter who will be 9. We like to go back to the resort and swim mid day after rope dropping in the AM, and staying onsite is so convenient for that. I just don't know. :confused3

Well hellooooo - we landed back home last night - I'm officially back to work today - work is lame and I would rather be in Disney.

I intended to post occasional updates that I noticed from the trip while on the trip but I ended up making an intentional decision to totally unplug from internet and emails and etc minus MDE and related activities.

I wanted to touch on a few points that had been discussed here as it relates to operational procedures and our actual experience. I'll be posting a full trip report at some point.

Before the trip I had read many times that hearing the health and safety messages blared over intercom about masks and distancing "took the magic out" of the experience - we did not find this to be true. Barely noticed it.

For the most part, mask compliance was excellent in the parks. I didn't notice people taking them off on rides? But sometimes it was hard to see and I wasn't actively looking. I also did hear CM's reminding people to pull them up - including kids. Which I appreciated.

Spacing in lines was the biggest issue as far as inconsistency and more words than actions. People just ignored the Please Stand Here markers and there was no CM to police that - which I don't know how they can unless someone is dedicated to stay in certain parts of the line.

Wait times were 99% overstated. I timed them because I couldn't believe the discrepancy between the touring plan estimates and the WDW listed times. The ONLY ride line time that was accurate was FOP. And my god you felt every single minute of that line. Average time we waited in lines was 30 minutes at any point in the day.

Food options from my perspective were perfectly fine, mobile order was extremely smooth we had no issues and I almost preferred it. The options were paired down significantly at the resorts.

From the perspective of an almost 6 year old, he didn't notice the lack of entertainment options. My son loved waving to the cavalcades but he is a ride kid, he just wanted to go go go so he didn't care or notice no parades or fireworks. I missed the EWP but hearing the news of the barges makes me so happy (and sad that I might have missed it by a few days/weeks).

Transportation wasn't an issue, Magical Express from the Airport to the Resort was fine - we had no line whatsoever and we were three of a total of 8 people on the whole bus and we were all spaced out and assigned seats. Magical Express from resort to airport wasn't assigned but people spaced out and no one was near us. We took the Skyliner without issue, and the boat from WL to MK, Bus from WL to DS and AK. No issues with spacing or feeling crowded. My only complaint is that I wish we had the resort to resort option on the table. It would have increased our food options. I get it, but that was something we all felt the absence of - we typically take the boat to Contemporary and then monorail around for foods and decoration viewing.

Holiday decorations were AMAZING. Wilderness lodge was breathtaking. I feel like they put MORE out than they normally do and that was across the board - at parks AND resorts.

The crowds were actually not bad for Thanksgiving week.
The only exception being Disney Springs. We went on a Monday and it was JAMMED. I felt uncomfortable while outside. We went to the LEGO store where capacity indoors was sufficiently managed, and we went to the Disney store (same with capacity indoors) but outside was kind of shocking.
Stores in the parks were being monitored for capacity (at least on Main Street) and in HS.

Things that were annoying related to COVID operational changes:
*elevators in the resorts (we didn't want to ride with anyone else and the rules were, either one party or no more than four people) but because of that - we had to wait sometimes four or five elevators worth before we could get to our room in the Riviera
*Please Stand Here in the lines appeared to be more of a suggestion according to the majority of guests we encountered (some parks were better than others)
*no resort to resort transportation coupled with minimal/reduced food offerings at resorts
*a lot of water fountains were disabled/not working. We use them to refill bottles so that was a bit of a stinker
*There were times where there was NO WHERE to sit or even stand with your food in Epcot.
*Photo pass - i read a lot about it before hand, I knew that things were different but this is the one thing where I really don't think there is any value in it right now. I know that we don't get pics if not everyone has their masks on, but we were on rides alone and still don't have pics. We were searching for photopass photographers in some parks without finding anyone. I will say that the BEST photographer we found was at the entrance of Galaxy's Edge - she did the special Magic Shot with The Child as well, she took her time and was awesome. However - it was for the most part a bust.

Things that were awesome despite COVID operational changes:
*the cavalcades
*the spacing in lines - when it worked and everyone paid attention - i love not having people trying to get piggy back rides on me while waiting in line.
*the interaction with CM's. I can't say that enough.
*the abundance of hand sanitizer stations - there were only THREE hand sanitizer machines out of 8 days of a stay 6 days in the parks, that did not work/ran out by the time we got there - i think these machines should stick around.
*Mobile Order - it was easy breezy but we also don't have food allergies or other issues
*7am Boarding Group drop for RotR - got it both times and I loved not having to yell at my family in the morning to get to the parks at a certain time and potentially not get a group

Overall - we felt that this was one of the best vacations we had in a long time. It was easy, it was fun, and it was still WDW. We enjoyed the resorts almost as much as we enjoyed the parks. We would go back again as it is now.
Were you in Disney Springs during the day or in the evening?

We are DVC, but if we were not, we would be the same. We bought DVC because we love Disney resorts - even those not anywhere near the parks. There is a feeling staying at them that can’t be replicated (for us) elsewhere.

And, as someone who has lived in the area for over a year (for my college programs), I don’t really enjoy being outside the Disney bubble. It’s not magical or an escape for us. The bubble is our escape, so Disney resort is a non negotiable for us.

Off site works for many people, but not for us. I think it is hard for people to recommend off site vs. on site to others because I don’t think you really know unless you experience it personally. People value different things in resort stays. Looking forward to the Disney resort stay is a huge part of the trip for us.

maybe some of it is where you are coming from. Coming from the northeast anytime we see a plam tree is like "ooh, super exotic" and "vacationy"

ima need this pin bad

EoPb3PxWEAIBO7D

That's crazy. But I think Disney is just upping their "rack rate" so that discounts look good when they inevitably offer them .. but they'll still make more money than previous years because of that. Seems like the Kohl's philosophy of marketing. Have crazy high prices (that most people wouldn't normally pay) and offer "huge" discounts .. that drop the price to what people would normally pay, but get people to pull the trigger becaues they can't pass up on a discount.

I mean .. they could offer a 50% discount on that All Star Movies room price ($185-219) .. and it would still cost more than I paid just back in 2018 for that same resort.
They definitely will not make more money in hotels over the next year.

The problem with making more money is occupancy rates. I read from a conference call or something sometime back Disney ran approx 95% occupancy rates. That’s insane even per-COVID but hey, it was Disney. But now that’s what they’ll be comparing to. More money per room is great but 30% occupancy vs 95% is BRUTAL to their hotel math. And we haven’t even discussed the closed hotels.

Regarding discounts, we are currently booked for June with a pin code discount that got us 35% off at the Riviera. I usually get a pin every year and this is the largest I have received. We are still 50/50 on whether we will go due to a variety of reasons, but we wanted to lock in the rate on the room we wanted.
We are using the 35% off pin code on a 1 BR villa starting Saturday night at the Riv. Can't wait! :tigger:

The ol' hole in the wall is the first stop while my 3 ladies go shopping!

(Wife, daughter and grandtinker for those that gasped!) pirate:

We have also been snatching up discounted confirmed DVC stays. I paid $120/night for a SSR studio over Thanksgiving. We stayed at SSR mid-Oct ($125/night and upgraded to a preferred, renovated 1 bedroom) and Boardwalk a few weeks before that ($110/night studio). And parking is included on all those!

Disney's "discounted" FL or AP rates just can't compete IMO.
Ditto. I'm a previous DVC Member who sold a long time ago, and haven't been able to afford rentals in years... but I stayed at the Poly in Aug., have an SSR trip coming up, eyeballing another DVC stay in Jan. Paying to park at the resort drove me away from staying onsite, but if I can rent DVC at a price less than a FL resident discount at a Mod and not pay to park? I'm in!

I am currently booked at POP in April but like so many of you, I am questioning my decision due to the lack of "perks". I won't have a car so I am trying to factor in the cost of Uber/Lyft instead of DME and Disney transportation. It is just me and my daughter who will be 9. We like to go back to the resort and swim mid day after rope dropping in the AM, and staying onsite is so convenient for that. I just don't know. :confused3
This is exactly why we're staying onsite in early February (if I don't chicken out and cancel) for just me and my 10 year old daughter. The resort pools are such a huge draw/part of the experience for her, even if it's freezing cold outside which will NOT deter her from wanting to swim. :) Otherwise there's just really not a big benefit at this time.

Last edited:
We are DVC, but if we were not, we would be the same. We bought DVC because we love Disney resorts - even those not anywhere near the parks. There is a feeling staying at them that can’t be replicated (for us) elsewhere.

And, as someone who has lived in the area for over a year (for my college programs), I don’t really enjoy being outside the Disney bubble. It’s not magical or an escape for us. The bubble is our escape, so Disney resort is a non negotiable for us.

Off site works for many people, but not for us. I think it is hard for people to recommend off site vs. on site to others because I don’t think you really know unless you experience it personally. People value different things in resort stays. Looking forward to the Disney resort stay is a huge part of the trip for us.

I agree that the bubble is great. It is just that the bubble is getting insanely expensive and if there isn't anything that gets me a perk then I find it hard to justify. Prior to my trip in September I have always stayed on-site and I do really enjoy it. There is a magic to it as well but there are drawbacks too.

I truly hope that Disney brings back the perks and makes it worthwhile to stay on-site again for many. Because outside of true Disney fans most people look at the cost and if there aren't any or a few good perks they are going to be losing business as people move to off-site accommodations.

Not sure if you have a Disney visa but I'm staying at the Riviera in February 2/9-2/13 and got a 45% off room discount. We're doing a split stay and staying at Gran Destino Tower 2/4-2/9 and also got a 40% room discount so we changed from a standard view to a water view PLUS added parkhoppers and still got a little bit of money back. At the Riviera we went from a deluxe studio to a one bedroom villa with no additional cost😍
Maybe they will offer a Disney visa promo during the time your going.

Not sure if you have a Disney visa but I'm staying at the Riviera in February 2/9-2/13 and got a 45% off room discount. We're doing a split stay and staying at Gran Destino Tower 2/4-2/9 and also got a 40% room discount so we changed from a standard view to a water view PLUS added parkhoppers and still got a little bit of money back. At the Riviera we went from a deluxe studio to a one bedroom villa with no additional cost😍
Maybe they will offer a Disney visa promo during the time your going.
Did you have to call for the Visa discount?

I agree that the bubble is great. It is just that the bubble is getting insanely expensive and if there isn't anything that gets me a perk then I find it hard to justify. Prior to my trip in September I have always stayed on-site and I do really enjoy it. There is a magic to it as well but there are drawbacks too.

I truly hope that Disney brings back the perks and makes it worthwhile to stay on-site again for many. Because outside of true Disney fans most people look at the cost and if there aren't any or a few good perks they are going to be losing business as people move to off-site accommodations.

Disney will protect their Bubble. The surveys from early November on recent exiting guests was all about the Bubble perks (Transportation, magic hours, FP+, Dining Plan, Magicband, Park Hopping, etc.)

From personal experience, we enjoyed our Disney vacation so much more in Feb 2020 (onsite) vs Nov 2018 (offsite). Renting a car from the airport and driving/parking daily to the parks or using the limited 3rd party shuttle service was stressful and a hassle. With the 30 day FP+, we couldn't get FP+ to SDD, 7DMT, FoP so we skipped those in 2018. Couldn't get CRT and some other dining spots too...

Bubble is best.

If we ever drive directly to Disney from (from NJ/Philly area) I'd definitely be more open to stay offsite again but Disney would probably lose us for a few days at Universal, SW, etc.

I was thinking, (and everyone said, "uh oh") but if Fauci is right and by April/May the vaccine will be available to low-risk people and children, I can see masks, while outside, going away sometime in the Fall.

I think indoor mask use will be the last to go, but outdoors I can see easing sooner. So perhaps while dining, shopping, indoor rides you'd need to put mask back on. But wandering the parks, no mask.

And I think that will lead to more bookings.

Scoff if you will :D, but I see public "demand" for easing of mask restrictions sky-rocketing once vaccinations really get going.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter