CRV is not just dirt anymore!

that say if this is a DVC resort - then going up slow works wonders for me. I might actually be able to afford it when announced.

yeah, we were dumb enough to do the 10-year financing (never again!) when we first bought. I know we can pay it off sooner, but at this point, eh... Anyways, right around the time when we finish paying off our first contract, we should be able to pay cash for an add-on at CRV, that is if the rumored 3-year construction period holds true.

Waiting...watching...dreaming...

Just saw the construction at the Contemporary from the monorail on Monday afternoon and some vertical structuring is starting to show. My husband asked the monorail driver what the scoop is at the site and NOTHING was mentioned about DVC. Her response is that there was some reason they couldn't rehab the wing so they knocked it down and are starting over. Now who says it couldn't possibly be DVC, but one would think the company would make an annoucement before the contruction begins. But who knows; rumors are rumors and I'm probably not helping.....:upsidedow

I believe Disney does not want to mention it yet due to the fact SSR and AKV are still selling units. Once SSR is completely sold, maybe we wil hear something.:wizard:

think the top management has yet to make up its mind - suites or DVC or both?

hoping for DVC!!!!:rolleyes1

Just saw the construction at the Contemporary from the monorail on Monday afternoon and some vertical structuring is starting to show. My husband asked the monorail driver what the scoop is at the site and NOTHING was mentioned about DVC. Her response is that there was some reason they couldn't rehab the wing so they knocked it down and are starting over. Now who says it couldn't possibly be DVC, but one would think the company would make an annoucement before the contruction begins. But who knows; rumors are rumors and I'm probably not helping.....:upsidedow

Here's the thing...if this were, 100%, NOT DVC then I can't see any reason Disney would not make an announcment. There's just no reason not to announce a "suites" addition, or room addition, to CR.

So....I think there are 2 possible scenarios here:

1) Management hasn't decided yet. I find that tought to swallow, but allow for the possibility. But to commit the resources, time, and $$ to the project that have apparently been committed, without a clear idea for use, seems unlikely.

2) It is at least part, and possibly all, DVC and they don't want to put a crimp in the sales of SSR (especially, because it's close to sell out) and AKV.

Honestly, if this was completely a resort addition....can ANYONE think of a reason why Disney would be so tight lipped?

go read this post
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1540654

the CR was the first WDW resort. I would think some management who were there then - would be very hesistant to give the entire building to DVC.

so betting on mix use.

remember there is still some management at Disney who don't think DVC will be around.

I've read it.

Management knows that DVC, right now, is the fasting growing (financially) unit in the company...or it has been for the past couple of year. That's how Jim Lewis got the position he did. They'll do with CRV what is best for the company....whether it be mixed use or not.

It wouldn't SURPRISE me to find out it's mixed use. It likewise wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't. But my point is...the most likely reason NOT to announce what the plans are is because there is at least SOME DVC component to the buiilding.

As for "some managment who think DVC won't be around".....I think that may have been true at one time. Now? Given the number's they've seen for the past 5 to 7 years? I don't think think any competent executive could ignore the writing on the wall. An upstart unit? For sure. But I don't think it can be discounted anymore. Membership is too large, and the revenue it's generating is too big.

oh I hope!!!

that said if all the WDW resorts are at 93% occupancy then maybe the CR could actually fill these resort rooms with WDW guest not DVC member.

if Disney goes this way - this is a BIG MISTAKE. but until MS is selling the first of the points for CRV - never say never.

we have had annoucement before for DVC resorts that never happened. the one in Ca not to mention Paris - were really nasty.

For a structure like the one going up at the Contemporay, wouldn't there be a line item in the public statement or something. Wether its DVC or suites, its an expensive addition to Contemporary and had to be approved in the budget somewhere?

For a structure like the one going up at the Contemporay, wouldn't there be a line item in the public statement or something. Wether its DVC or suites, its an expensive addition to Contemporary and had to be approved in the budget somewhere?

Nope. The SEC quarterly and annual filings don't have to go into NEARLY that much detail. They don't need to break out the budget down to line items, for sure. It's buried in those final numbers, to be sure, but exactly where, how much, etc? Nah.....only Disney, their accountants, and their auditing firm know EXACTLY.

Now, where they WOULD need to show up is the various zoning paperwork, etc, filed with OC (especially the water board and zoning boards). And DVC IS mentioned in that paperwork....early on. As the paperwork progresses, and the dates get later and later, the monikers change and the mention of DVC is notably absent. The reasoning behind THAT is the impetus for lots of debate.

Just spoke to a bellhop at WL (where we stayed). He used to work at the Contemp but was transferred to the WL. We were chatting. He told me it's a definite (his words, not mine), that CRV's are a "go". He said they had some "problems" because the ground is so sandy and wet over there and they have to install pilons (not exactly sure what this is) into the ground for added support before they do anything. He told me they are doing that now. He also told me (I grilled him for any info he might have), that he saw plans for a 15 story building with a bridge on the 4th floor connecting to the main Contemporary bldg. He repeated : "it's definitely going to be a DVC" and he thought he recalled no sooner than 2009 being mentioned.

Just thought I'd pass on our conversation for what it's worth.

We did also tour the AKV model the other day. We liked it more than we thought we would. I definitely like that the 1 bedroom has two bathrooms and the extra chair pullout sleeper. Great for optimizing points with larger families. The master bedroom was just gorgeous.

The link worked for me. Enjoy!

On another note, I always forget how close the CR is to Tomorrowland. Seriously, a WEDway expansion and connection to the TTA would not be out of the question from the new tower regardless of whether it is CRV or not.

Regards

a new entrance near tomorrowland (ala GC @ DL) would be :cool1: ; people mover or walkway - all good!

As I understand it, as a Realtor/Broker, Timeshares are sold as condos. in order for something to be a condo, a "Decleration of forming a Condo" has to be filed with the state. FL may also require a timeshare filing also, I will have to check on that, As of now, there are only building permits, and they can name it whatever they want. (ie..family suites) But as of the state of FL, it is only a hotel at this point. It is a matter of public record, so once a decleration of condo is made, then it should be easy to find.

You can build a hotel, apartment, wharehouse, etc.....and later delcare a condo by following the appropriate steps such as codes, zoning, legal stuff and HOA's.

As some have said, it may be mixed use, I think they are waiting on the market which is bad right now, though vacation homes are doing ok, they may slow down once the crack down on lending wraps up. These are things that managment have to look at.

I think they will start out as suites and if the convention buisness picks up it will stay that way, if it does not, and they have empty expensive rooms sitting, then they think we are the suckers they can rely on to bail them out. Its a win win for them either way they go.

As I understand it, as a Realtor/Broker, Timeshares are sold as condos. in order for something to be a condo, a "Decleration of forming a Condo" has to be filed with the state. FL may also require a timeshare filing also, I will have to check on that, As of now, there are only building permits, and they can name it whatever they want. (ie..family suites) But as of the state of FL, it is only a hotel at this point. It is a matter of public record, so once a decleration of condo is made, then it should be easy to find.

You can build a hotel, apartment, wharehouse, etc.....and later delcare a condo by following the appropriate steps such as codes, zoning, legal stuff and HOA's.

As some have said, it may be mixed use, I think they are waiting on the market which is bad right now, though vacation homes are doing ok, they may slow down once the crack down on lending wraps up. These are things that managment have to look at.

I think they will start out as suites and if the convention buisness picks up it will stay that way, if it does not, and they have empty expensive rooms sitting, then they think we are the suckers they can rely on to bail them out. Its a win win for them either way they go.

True..but: You don't need to file anything during construction. You need to file before SELLING UNITS, but that's about it. Building permits need to be filed during construction. Beyond that......until they want to start selling units....they dont' have to file anything. If, as has been suggested, they dont' plan on that happening until sometime in late '08 or '09, there'd be nothing to find yet.

If it was ONLY a hotel expansion, why no announcement? I can't see any possible reason they hold off. The only way you don't announce it is if there is some DVC component, and you don't want to effect existing sales...or you don't know. I can't IMAGING they don't know. I suppose it's possible, but....I just can't wrap my mind around greenlighting a large scale project like this without KNOWING what it's for.

Also,DVC is, reportedly, selling VERY briskly right now. And it was certiainly selling briskly when any decisions would have had to have been made.

isn't Disney it's own county and makes it own rules. I know it does in building materials. Disney saw to it that he had that option before he died.

isn't Disney it's own county and makes it own rules. I know it does in building materials. Disney saw to it that he had that option before he died.

Yes, and no. While it does cover zoning, fire and law enforcement, road maintenance and other municipal functions, it can't skirt MOST STATE laws (other than zoning and land use laws). It has to abide by state business laws, tax laws, etc. It can't simply ignore the state laws concerning timeshares, etc, for example. It also has to co-exist withing the COUNTY rules and regs/laws. That's why you see all the stuff filed with orange county water board and the like.

Oh, and it's not a county. It's still part of Orange and Osceola counties. It's an "improvement district"....it has some of the municipal powers usually retained by a county, but it's not ACTUALLY a county.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reedy_Creek_Improvement_District

The above link actually explains it quite well (and accurately, right now...though it's wiki, so who knows what tomorrow will bring).

I was saying that if CRV was not going to happen, it would be a better decision if Disney had just come out and say that so that it put those rumors to rest. Otherwise there are going to be people that will hold out and not buy AKV or DL because the possibility of a CRV.

I agree with your logic. DVC has always been careful to not tip their hand in the past. That is what leads me to believe that at least the first portion of this project will be CR suites.

I took some pics this Monday, but by the time I have time to post them someone else will have newer pics. They poured some concrete posts and leveled the dirt/sand.

I was looking at the book at a DVC stand and the cast member asked if I knew the secret, I said yes the secret & the unconfirmed rumor. He kind of smiled and then I told him I was waiting for the CRV to buy in. Instead of trying to sell me the AKV or SSR he just asked if I had questions on points or how anything else worked.

To to add my two cents worth, when I was talking to a DVC guide, (don't want to get the specific one in trouble:thumbsup2) I just said point blank, "boy DVC is really doing well, SSR, AKV, and now CRV." He told me that there are plenty of new things happeneing. I pressed him and said I already know that Cont. will be a DVC resort. He told me, "well it certainly looks like that will happen doesnt it". He then said that he is excited (as he is a member too) with CRV as well as some new things that will be announced shortly. I laughed b/c when he was telling me the new things (in general not details of those) he slipped and said he is excited about CRV.

Who knows though, but its fun to talk about I guess.

We were there a week ago, and they have indeed started to put in pillers on the far side of the lot. If you look at the survey makers(stakes with ribbons) you could see the C shape that was presented a while back.

Also we went to the Concourse Steakhouse and the siad they would be moved to the new location on the 1 st floor by the first of the year, under the name the Wave. The waiter said it would be the same staff and chef but a different menu.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter