DAS changes starting June 18

Ah, I hadn't noticed that in the FAQ. Here's what it says:

What happens if any of the statements made by a Guest in the process of registering for DAS are found to be not true?
If it is determined that any of the statements a Guest made in the process of obtaining DAS are not true, the Guest will be permanently barred from entering the Walt Disney World Resort and the Disneyland Resort, and any previously purchased Annual Passes, Magic Key passes, tickets and other park products and services will be forfeited and not refunded.
Anyone who lies in asking for a DAS, saying “I can’t do long lines because of (xyz condition)” is treading on very dangerous ground. Because if they are turned down for the DAS, and Disney finds out that later on that person nevertheless did a ride with a 2 hour wait (and they have plenty of ways to find out), boom, lifetime ban.

There’s a lot of gaming the system. I feel bad for the ppl that actually needed it but at the same time it has gotten way out of hand. Out of the last 5 ppl that told me they went to Disneyland 3 used DAS and I know these ppl and they do not need DAS and specifically said they were going to get it to and use xyz as an excuse not for a real issue they have.
Just last fall there was an article in the local paper about Disney taking legal action against third party tour groups using DAS as a way to speed people in the group through the lines. Your tour guide has a “disability” and can therefore speed your group through the lines.

There’s a lot of gaming the system. I feel bad for the ppl that actually needed it but at the same time it has gotten way out of hand. Out of the last 5 ppl that told me they went to Disneyland 3 used DAS and I know these ppl and they do not need DAS and specifically said they were going to get it to and use xyz as an excuse not for a real issue they have.
Tink, does the current interview process not screen out people who are faking a qualifying disability?

Just last fall there was an article in the local paper about Disney taking legal action against third party tour groups using DAS as a way to speed people in the group through the lines. Your tour guide has a “disability” and can therefore speed your group through the lines.
Yes, what really annoyed Disney about the third party tour guides was that they became experts in the “script” that would get a DAS, starting with “go tell them you have IBS and they’ll give you a DAS”, but getting more sophisticated as Disney clamped down on granting DAS for bathroom issues. Without this kind of abuse the third party guides might well still be in business.

Tink, does the current interview process not screen out people who are faking a qualifying disability?
Current as in the one going in to effect or the one in effect now. The one now definitely not. I said in another post that out of the last 5 ppl I know that just went to DL in the last year or two 3 told me they were using DAS for not real reasons.

Yes I had heard ppl who get DAS were basically selling their pass as in they would take other ppl with them and pretend they were family

Current as in the one going in to effect or the one in effect now. The one now definitely not. I said in another post that out of the last 5 ppl I know that just went to DL in the last year or two 3 told me they were using DAS for not real reasons.
Yeah, that's why I was asking. I guess you did pre-answer my question. I was thinking of the CM talking with a child with developmental problem and asking certain questions from a script; that should be pretty accurate. But according to the info from GS1990, one can just claim certain medical problems and that will do the trick.

Even if Disney starts using health professionals at the DAS booths someone could lie to them. I wonder whether Disney might start requiring a doctor's letter for conditions that the booth CM can't verify with an interview. As I and others have mentioned, people could get fake letters, but at least it would deter people who don't want to make that effort. It's such a tricky balance to provide accommodations to people who genuinely need them without letting in too many fakers.

Yes, what really annoyed Disney about the third party tour guides was that they became experts in the “script” that would get a DAS, starting with “go tell them you have IBS and they’ll give you a DAS”, but getting more sophisticated as Disney clamped down on granting DAS for bathroom issues. Without this kind of abuse the third party guides might well still be in business.
As I recall Disney took out restraining or trespass orders against many of those third party groups.

Yeah, that's why I was asking. I guess you did pre-answer my question. I was thinking of the CM talking with a child with developmental problem and asking certain questions from a script; that should be pretty accurate. But according to the info from GS1990, one can just claim certain medical problems and that will do the trick.

Even if Disney starts using health professionals at the DAS booths someone could lie to them. I wonder whether Disney might start requiring a doctor's letter for conditions that the booth CM can't verify with an interview. As I and others have mentioned, people could get fake letters, but at least it would deter people who don't want to make that effort. It's such a tricky balance to provide accommodations to people who genuinely need them without letting in too many fakers.
Presenting a fake doctor’s letter is a massively bigger deal than lying to a CM about something like bathroom issues. People who do this are literally risking criminal prosecution and possible prison time.

I personally am not describing DAS. My family member is not eligible for the current DAS, which to my understanding allows for accommodations for all of the rides at DCA/DL, I know for sure it's not DAS because we were told we don't qualify for it. I described the system we use now. Whether it's actually called 'return to line' or 'return to Queue' not sure. It allows our group to return to the Exit upon a selected time, and we did use the phone for a return time for pirates. This was only for older attractions that do not accommodate a Walker.

For rides like Mickey's Railroad, and RSR we use the queue and go to the disabled line to avoid stairs.
For Haunted Mansion and Ariel, Peter Pan; we request disabled access where the track slows down for smoother safer loading.

However, yes, we don't know what the revised plan will be going forward for DAS as a whole.

The new system will have people abusing it as well, hopefully not as much, but there's always a work around and people are feeling more justified to abuse DAS due to their current Genie + vs. standard line situation.

They need to fix Genie+.

You don't need to explain to me the different ways that Disneyland makes rides accessible to a variety of people. Believe me, I know them all.

However, getting a return time does not exist at every ride. In fact, it doesn't really exist at all at DCA. If you're on a mobility device or have mobility issues you go through the regular line like everyone else. The only difference is you may split off from the queue on rides that have a separate boarding area (Toy Story Mania, RSR) or they can slow it down for Little Mermaid. But you're still going to be waiting in the same line as everyone else. That's fine if your only issue is mobility. But if you fall into a group with other physical disabilities that are no longer about to be accomodated, then it absolutely does become a problem. And that is the problem here.

With DAS, those people can get a return time at every ride, but that is being taken away from them.

The DAS system has been seriously abused the past several years. I’m glad Disney is evolving the current system. I’m glad it being moved outside of the Parks and into the Esplanade. I’ll reserve further comment about how it’s addressing legitimate disability concerns, until I actually see it in action during my visits at the Parks.

Got this email back for Disney, going to try to call again for more details but here is what I have so far

Dear Jerrod,

Thank you for your message to the Walt Disney World Resort regarding services for Guests with disabilities.

Disney is committed to providing a welcoming, inclusive environment, and accessible experience for all our Guests. All Guests who inquire about accessibility options during this period of transition are receiving this note to share information ahead of your next visit.

We would encourage you to first explore our website for Guests with disabilities, which has been updated to showcase a variety of accommodations and services to meet different needs.

Additionally, to help you plan your visit, we have developed an Accessibility Planning Guide and Recommendations and a Sensory Experience Guide, which provide pertinent information as well as answers to many Frequently Asked Questions.

There are various accommodations available to meet the needs of our Guests, which may be discussed in individualized conversations within 30 days of a planned visit with our Accessibility Services Cast Members. The Disability Access Service (DAS) is one program offered, and it is intended specifically for those guests who, due to a developmental disability like autism or similar, are unable to wait in a conventional queue for an extended period of time.

Some Guests enrolled in DAS in the past may be offered alternate accommodations based on the results of their individual conversations. These include Rider Switch, Mobility Services, options for those who may unexpectedly need to leave a queue, and/or other recommendations. Guests who may need accessibility accommodations will be offered an individualized conversation with our team within 30 days of a planned trip (including on the day of your visit, if necessary), to help provide an appropriate match of tools and services.

If you are visiting before May 20, 2024:

Please visit us at Accessibility Services to initiate a connection with our team. You will be connected with a Cast Member via live video to assist you further. Please note that you will need to have access to a video camera and a microphone. During this discussion, if eligible, you may register in advance for DAS between 2 and 30 days prior to your visit.

During this time, you may also request accommodations by visiting a Guest Relations location once you arrive at our theme parks. Our Guest Relations Cast Members will work individually with you to discuss your overall needs to determine which service will be appropriate. Guests will not be asked for medical documentation.

Note: If you already have an approved DAS accommodation, it remains valid until your existing expiration.

If your visit begins May 20, 2024, or later:

Beginning May 20 at the Walt Disney World Resort, there will be an updated process for Accessibility Services conversations. Guests can learn more on our website for Guests with disabilities. In this video discussion, health care professionals may be available, if needed, to help determine appropriate accommodations. Guests will not be asked for medical documentation.

Please know we will not determine any Guest’s future eligibility until our processes are updated on May 20.

Kindest Regards,

Walt Disney World Accessibility Services Team

Yea I don’t know what ppl actually say but I do know they specifically said they would be technically abusing the system. I do think it’s so tricky because there’s so many ppl that do need it and it just makes it harder for some. But Disney needs to actually do something for those that abuse it

I do want to point out....many who get life time bans get them lifted

A YT who multiple times went into areas of WDW got a ban then appealed it years later

I think is saying life time bans but in years they wont care if you say your sorry because money....Disney only cares about money as many of you point out and I doubt most people who get bans will be lifetime.

I think unless you make the news like that guy on Small World who got naked, I'm sure he's most likely out for life

I do want to point out....many who get life time bans get them lifted

A YT who multiple times went into areas of WDW got a ban then appealed it years later

I think is saying life time bans but in years they wont care if you say your sorry because money....Disney only cares about money as many of you point out and I doubt most people who get bans will be lifetime.

I think unless you make the news like that guy on Small World who got naked, I'm sure he's most likely out for life
Don't quote me on it but from what I can recall you can only appeal after a certain amount of years has passed. I wanna say 10 years but I'm not positive. So even if they can indeed appeal and get un-banned their kids might have grown up by then and they are 10 years older.

If even the naked Small World guy can make a case that he was suffering a mental illness episode (which he quite possibly was) and demonstrate to Disney that he has received treatment and his condition is now under control, it wouldn't surprise me that much if he was eventually reinstated. And if it does turn out that this was the case I would have more sympathy for him than I do for cheaters lying about disabilities to try to scam a DAS, making it harder for those people who truly need one.

So asked DAS current CM's about the process and got this response when asking about certain types of conditions

I wouldn't be able to determine if your concerns would still qualify only because when the service goes into effect, a brand-new team not associated with guest relations will be the ones to have that conversation with you.

So basically until June 18th we won't know 100% what will still be covered.

Talked to Friend last night about these latest developments since we've gone many times to DL w/her and her disabled DH. She & I were glad to read that cane-chairs will be allowed to bring into the park. I already found a sturdy one on Amazon that could work pretty well for him, so he would be able to sit and take a load off of his ankle. They'll still need to end up using some of the accommodations for physical disabilities so he has extra time to get on and off rides, and doing stuff like walking up the exit at BTMRR and IJ in order to avoid stairs (stairs are hard for him physically + he's blind and cannot see and navigating through multiple flights of stairs is pretty impossible for him...a few stairs are ok, but all of the stairs at IJ and BTMRR in the regular queue are a no go for him).

We will end up purchasing Genie+ more often now when we go w/them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter