Day one in my backyard..Picture Update 9/19 Gorgeous!!!

amid chaos

DIS Veteran
Construction started this week and my gardens are gone, thank fully moved.

107day_1-med.jpg

It's begun, I see! :)

Vanessa, I'm very interested in your construction project, so I hope you'll keep us informed as things move along.

Could you share a little bit of info on what you're having done, for those who don't know? :)

Who moved the gardens? Where did they put them? Did you have to move your shed also?

Are you ready for all this????? :eek: :D

Thank you! :)

Yes! Info, info. I don't remember reading any details (which doesn't necessarily mean they weren't there :crazy: )

My DH is a chef...went to Culinary Institute of America right out of HS. today he is managing 4 restaurants and 2 hotels for the guy that owns them all.
He is building his dream kitchen. he designed it and is blowing out the back wall so the kitchen can be in a conservatory....one wall will be glass and so will the ceiling.
I had to pick the cabinets, granite and flooring and I am done...this is his deal, no more construction decisions for me...:teeth: I'm the project photographer, though.

Tuesday they started excavating the new basement. Yesterday and all day today 2 guys spent trying to break down the old concrete bulkhead...2 jackhammers, sledge hammers and concrete saws later and they have barely dented it. good thing it only reached a high of 6 today because there will be no pouring cement for the footings until it warms up and the bulkhead is gone.

Vanessa, of course I had to show DH your pic, he's interested in following the progress too! :)

A question. When you say "bulkhead" where or what do you mean? Up here (maybe it's a Canuck thing..lol), a bulkhead is where a ceiling meets a wall. We're trying to figure out, from your pic, where that bulkhead is. :)

Are you going to have a basement or a crawlspace under the new addition?

Nosey, eh? :p

BTW - DH says to say "Hi!" to you! :wave: :D

:wave2: Hi john!

law requires that you have outside access to a full basement. the bulkhead is a cement "jog " in the foundation. Steep stairs are built inside and a stupid metal door attached...think Wizard of Oz. the door dorothy couldnt get in.

Since we are putting in a full basement we need the old bulkhead gone and a new one put in.
here's a picture of what the old bulkhead looks like after excavation.

107day_1c-med.jpg

At least it's too cold for people to keep going out and then tracking mud into your house, but I guess that will happen sometime. I'll bet you have wonderful meals and tasty things to eat at your house. I love the birch tree view from the house, it's lovely.

Good luck in all phases of work.

Bobbi:D

Thanks Vanessa, that pic and explanation clears things up for DH (and me :)).

We don't have a law up here, that requires basement access.

Vanessa, what's going to happen to your screened-in veranda?

Bobbi, Vanessa's house, lot, and neighbourhood are lovely!! :) Her family is very sweet too! ;) :)

Looks like quite an undertaking!

I hope you're all rewarded with many splendid meals and good times!

Thanks for all the nice compliments.

My screened in room has already lost 3 feet...needed it for the new wall. I'm not as sad about losing 3 feet as I am about losing one screened wall.

This is just terrific! What an undertaking! And your hubby is a cook!! Does he do all the cooking at home too??? (Inquiring minds need to know).

Don't forget to post more pictures!

Good luck with the project. It sounds like it will be beautiful. A glass wall AND a glass ceiling.... pull back those jelousy horns Tuli.

They have done NOthing since the last picture...too cold to pour footings so it has been 2 weeks of nothing and this week isn't goign to be any better.

That hole is looking more like a swimming pool lately...and I;'ve always wanted a pool.

A swimming pool? :)

How about an ice rink???? :p

Vicky, in case you missed it on the other thread, Welcome to the F&GB! :)

Tulirose...sorry, i didn't answer your question.
DH is NEVER home to cook and when he is, it's the last thing he wants to do. so, Why does he want a dream kitchen? i have no idea.

YIKES~VANESSA

WHAT AN UNDERTAKING! And in the middle of the winter, yet!

Good luck, Sweetie! I'm sure it will be gorgeous once it's done!

They poured the footings today. Yup, that cement is going to get hard, but not because it set...it'll be because it FROZEN!

A month and a half since they did the cement footings. Any new progress??

Hubby tells me it could take up to two months allowing it to harden before they do more work. Is this true in your case?

Wow what a remodeling! Yikes!
After all the suffering and hardship it'll be wonderful for DH to have his own dream kitchen realized.
And you get a new dream home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter