DCL/ABD Med Cruise May 15, 2010

I know you mentioned a discount on the cruise, but I was just curious how much the whole thing (cruise + ABD might cost). With or without air since that varies for a lot of us. The website didn't say and I don't want to call. I'm just really curious. We are doing a caribbean cruise for my spring break and then a vacation to visit family for our vacations this year, but I am desperately trying to figure out how to scrum up enough money for a 2nd ABD next summer. I am still reminiscing about our Ireland adventure!

I know you mentioned a discount on the cruise, but I was just curious how much the whole thing (cruise + ABD might cost). With or without air since that varies for a lot of us. The website didn't say and I don't want to call. I'm just really curious. We are doing a caribbean cruise for my spring break and then a vacation to visit family for our vacations this year, but I am desperately trying to figure out how to scrum up enough money for a 2nd ABD next summer. I am still reminiscing about our Ireland adventure!
Well, the ABD part is a flat rate, completely separate and independent from whatever you pay for your cruise cabin. It's $2399 per person (adult) for the ABD/Med add-on (same price for the 10- or 11-night cruise). I can't remember how much the rate was for a child, but I don't think it was a significant discount, maybe a couple of hundred dollars. I believe DVC members get a $100 per person discount, also. So for me, considering that I got a great deal on the cruise, it was really quite reasonable, in comparison, for an 11-night ABD.

Sayhello

From my cruising experience, I like to get on the ship as early as possible, then before it gets crowded, walk around and get to know where everything is on the ship. Believe me, it will take a couple of hours if you've never been on a cruise before. Once you got a feel for the ship....start eating!:lmao:
I have cruised before, just not with Disney. (Royal Caribbean & Princess). And I'm going to be on this ship for 11 days. :) I like getting the lay of the ship, too, but I can't see wasting a whole day in Barcelona, when the first day of the cruise is a Sea Day. Who knows? I may change my mind as it gets closer. I'm just exploring options! :banana:

Sayhello

So can you board and get your room and then go out and roam around? We are such newbies. LOL

You will not be able to get to your cabin until about 1:30 pm. Other than the staterooms, everything else is open on the ship once you board (except the shops as you have to be at sea).

Well, the ABD part is a flat rate, completely separate and independent from whatever you pay for your cruise cabin. It's $2399 per person (adult) for the ABD/Med add-on (same price for the 10- or 11-night cruise). I can't remember how much the rate was for a child, but I don't think it was a significant discount, maybe a couple of hundred dollars. I believe DVC members get a $100 per person discount, also. So for me, considering that I got a great deal on the cruise, it was really quite reasonable, in comparison, for an 11-night ABD.

Sayhello

I am so jealous! I can't believe you get all your excursions (at the level ABD does them) along with all the extras onboard for only 2400. That is a great price! That is amazing. :thumbsup2

I am so jealous! I can't believe you get all your excursions (at the level ABD does them) along with all the extras onboard for only 2400. That is a great price! That is amazing. :thumbsup2
I thought it was a pretty good deal, also. $2400 for an 11-day ABD is really an excellent price. You can make it REALLY pricey if you want to get an expensive cabin on the ship, but I could not pass up the $999 pp Cat 12 GTY (which came to a bit over $1500 for single occupancy).

Of course, there are those on the DCL board who are saying you'd have to be crazy to "pay that much for excursions" but I guess they just don't get that it's so much more than just a bunch of excursions!

I'm pretty darned happy about it! :yay:

Sayhello

i been reading the intenary so much for the abd that i had a dream about it.
the dream wasnt much it was just me looking at the intenary. im on the may 26 cruise. i wish i could do the abd add on but the cost is too much for my wife and I. it looks like its worth the money but just cant afford it.

Well, that's open for interpretation. :) I need to call DCL and get clarification. The port opens at 10am, boarding starts "around 1pm", but we don't sail until like 9:30pm (and you're supposed to be onboard 1 1/2 hours before departure). I remember reading at some point that the muster drill is at 5pm, so you need to be around for that, but otherwise you can come & go. It's all a little confusing. I'll let you know if I get any clarification from DCL.

Sayhello

I don't know if you have obtained the information already, but I got this link from the cruise board:

http://muchomagico.weebly.com/dclbarcelona-port-check-in.html

It looks as if you can get off and on as you please as long as you are ready to sail by 9:30PM.

How are you plans coming for the DCL/ABD trip, I am so looking forward to seeing your trip report:thanks:

We can only do the 8 day cruise this summer, but we are getting so excited.

How are you plans coming for the DCL/ABD trip, I am so looking forward to seeing your trip report:thanks:

We can only do the 8 day cruise this summer, but we are getting so excited.
Hey, mkmommy! I keep meaning to update here! Which 8 day cruise are you taking?

Fortunately, I don't have to plan too much! :thumbsup2 ABD is taking care of all the shore excursions, so it's just the shipboard stuff & what the heck to pack that I have to worry about! I've had my airline tickets (Iberia airlines) for a while now.

We just got our room assignments a couple of days ago. Several of us had Cat 12 GTY's, and got upgraded to Cat 6! We are all still happily in shock! :yay: I've gotten to know a few folks on the DCL Cruise Meet thread for my cruise, and a group of us linked our ressies so that we could all dine together. And we all ended up in Cat 6's in the same area! Don't know if linking the ressies had something to do with it, or if taking the ABD was any sort of an influence, but I'm SO VERY happy to have a verandah! And be surrounded by friends! I was really kind of hoping for a porthole, because I wake up better to natural light. I never DREAMED I'd get a balcony! This trip just gets better & better! :banana: :love:

DCL is handling the details on this trip, so that means we don't have many details. :confused3 I asked if we'd be getting the standard ABD box & goodies ahead of time, and DCL was like "You'll get your docs a couple of weeks before you sail". I had to explain to them what the ABD box was, and they finally figured it out and were able to tell me we *would* be getting *something* from ABD ahead of time, but they had no idea what it was. :confused3 So I guess a lot of this trip will be a surprise!

I managed to get a reservation for dinner at Palo on our Corsica day, and we're trying for a Group brunch. If that doesn't go through, someone else sailing solo on the Meet thread has offered to let me join her on her reservation! Tea, too. So that's pretty well taken care of.

And I scheduled a hand massage for our mid-trip Sea Day.

Arriving a Day early in Barcelona to acclimate, and leaving late afternoon on disembarcation day. Going to hang out with Christyvoltron & her Hubby while in Barcelona. I was able to meet them while attending a wedding in Southern CA. Very nice people! I'm also going to be meeting another solo traveler next weekend. Turns out she lives pretty close to me!

I think that's it for my plans for now. I bought a Pacsafe travel purse, I'm starting to sift through my closet to figure out what the heck I'll be wearing on the trip. So I guess it's still a work in progress! Less than 6 weeks to go! :cool1:

Did I answer all your questions? Sorry you asked? :lmao:

Sayhello

What a great bump up SayHello! There are rumors re the Baltic cruise and possible upgrades, but we are not holding our breath on that. I bet booking the ABD excursion package was a big part of it--and your enthusiasm for travel (that whole karma thing!) Be sure to let us all know what the "box" contains--and how different it is (if at all) from the regular ABD trip boxes. Are you going to take the HOHO in Barcelona?

That is great you got such an amazing upgrade, I am sure the ABD was part of it, as DCL does not usually upgrade that many categories, I know you were worried about the CAT 12.

Sounds like you have found a great group of people to cruise with, so I imagine you will be very busy. I think the ABD is a great idea for the Cruises, and hope they are a success, as I would be interested in it for next summer.

We are doing the Dover to Barcelona cruise, and looking forward to hearing about all the trips prior to ours in July.

Have a great trip.

We are taking our first ABD (Spirit of America) in July. My DH has never been interested in taking a cruise. However, once he saw this one mentioned, he decided that we might give it a try. I am looking forward to all of the trip reports because I think we'll be on the ABD/Med Cruise in the summer of 2011.

What a great bump up SayHello! There are rumors re the Baltic cruise and possible upgrades, but we are not holding our breath on that. I bet booking the ABD excursion package was a big part of it--and your enthusiasm for travel (that whole karma thing!) Be sure to let us all know what the "box" contains--and how different it is (if at all) from the regular ABD trip boxes. Are you going to take the HOHO in Barcelona?
I agree! Amazing bump up! I hope you guys get good Upgrades, too. Although I think your cruise sold a heck of a lot better than mine did. But it seems *so* random... We had one gal on our thread who was disgruntled because she didn't get a fabulous upgrade and complained to DCL and reported back that they basically called her a liar, that "No one gets that big an upgrade." So I guess it's pretty rare...

I will report back as soon as the box arrives. And yes, the HOHO bus is probably what I'll be doing in Barcelona.

That is great you got such an amazing upgrade, I am sure the ABD was part of it, as DCL does not usually upgrade that many categories, I know you were worried about the CAT 12.

Sounds like you have found a great group of people to cruise with, so I imagine you will be very busy. I think the ABD is a great idea for the Cruises, and hope they are a success, as I would be interested in it for next summer.

We are doing the Dover to Barcelona cruise, and looking forward to hearing about all the trips prior to ours in July.

Have a great trip.
I was worried about the Cat 12, but was totally prepared to deal with it if I got it. Veranda never entered my mind! And I'm very happy about having connected with the group I have from my Meet thread. It's going to make the trip so much more enjoyable, between the ABD group and the folks I've met here on the DIS. :thumbsup2 I hope this ABD works out, also, as I'd love them to offer something like this at other locales, too!

The Dover to Barcelona cruise sounds cool, too! Are you spending any time in England pre-cruise?

We are taking our first ABD (Spirit of America) in July. My DH has never been interested in taking a cruise. However, once he saw this one mentioned, he decided that we might give it a try. I am looking forward to all of the trip reports because I think we'll be on the ABD/Med Cruise in the summer of 2011.
I'm not the world's biggest cruise fan. There are certain aspects of cruising I really enjoy, such as seeing such a wide range of places in one trip, traveling while you are asleep, not having to pack & unpack. But it can get a bit boring for me on Sea Days, as I really don't like to sit by the pool, or just sit in the sun in general (I like being *out* in the sun, but just sitting... nope). And so far, most of the "activities" have not been things I've been interested in. I also don't like it when they make you leave a port at 4pm when there's so much I still want to see. But this cruise is different. Port intensive, long days, the comaraderie of the 39 other ABDers, and now the folks on the DIS. I think I'm really going to enjoy this cruise! Look for my typical detailed Trip Report when I get back! :yay:

Sayhello

I agree! Amazing bump up! I hope you guys get good Upgrades, too. Although I think your cruise sold a heck of a lot better than mine did. But it seems *so* random... We had one gal on our thread who was disgruntled because she didn't get a fabulous upgrade and complained to DCL and reported back that they basically called her a liar, that "No one gets that big an upgrade." So I guess it's pretty rare...

I will report back as soon as the box arrives. And yes, the HOHO bus is probably what I'll be doing in Barcelona.

I was worried about the Cat 12, but was totally prepared to deal with it if I got it. Veranda never entered my mind! And I'm very happy about having connected with the group I have from my Meet thread. It's going to make the trip so much more enjoyable, between the ABD group and the folks I've met here on the DIS. :thumbsup2 I hope this ABD works out, also, as I'd love them to offer something like this at other locales, too!

The Dover to Barcelona cruise sounds cool, too! Are you spending any time in England pre-cruise?

I'm not the world's biggest cruise fan. There are certain aspects of cruising I really enjoy, such as seeing such a wide range of places in one trip, traveling while you are asleep, not having to pack & unpack. But it can get a bit boring for me on Sea Days, as I really don't like to sit by the pool, or just sit in the sun in general (I like being *out* in the sun, but just sitting... nope). And so far, most of the "activities" have not been things I've been interested in. I also don't like it when they make you leave a port at 4pm when there's so much I still want to see. But this cruise is different. Port intensive, long days, the comaraderie of the 39 other ABDers, and now the folks on the DIS. I think I'm really going to enjoy this cruise! Look for my typical detailed Trip Report when I get back! :yay:

Sayhello

Think of your upgrade as a commission from ABD. It would be interesting to know how many people have booked trips based on your trip reports. I know for me it has been reading the trips reports that makes me want to do one.

We are doing only 2 days in London precruise and 1 day in Barcelona, not enough but that is all we can fit in.

I think you will find sea days on DCL different than other cruise lines. I have only been on 1 other cruise line and I was bored on sea days, but DCL there is so much to do, and I am not a sit by the pool kind of person.

Think of your upgrade as a commission from ABD. It would be interesting to know how many people have booked trips based on your trip reports. I know for me it has been reading the trips reports that makes me want to do one.
Hee! I like the idea of a "commission". :thumbsup2 But that would mean ABD would need to know who I am... :eek: :)

I also like the idea that people have enjoyed my reports enough to be inspired to take ABD's. :yay: I know that's been true about several people who post here, but I have to wonder about the lurkers. It's an honor! I must admit that it was Deb Wills' report about Southwest Splendors that cinched me going.

We are doing only 2 days in London precruise and 1 day in Barcelona, not enough but that is all we can fit in.

I think you will find sea days on DCL different than other cruise lines. I have only been on 1 other cruise line and I was bored on sea days, but DCL there is so much to do, and I am not a sit by the pool kind of person.
Oh, thanks for that input! I'm really looking forward to this cruise, and ready to experience the 'Disney Difference' at sea!

Sayhello

What a fantastic upgrade! How exciting?!?! I would be over the moon :goodvibes I'm really looking forward to hearing all about the cruise and the ABD add-on. I've got DH sold on the 11 day Med Cruise summer 2011 (hoping maybe some of those $999 GTY 12's show up again)... now I just have to sell him on the ABD :rolleyes1 ... one step at a time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter