DDC XXXIV: The Original Home Of The DISDads!!!

Well gents, all talk of physical ailments and greying hair aside, some good news...
I booked our stay at da world in February. 18th-22nd. 1 night at Beach club and 3 nights at boardwalk. Both of which we've never done before, so looking forward to it. Wish I could've gotten all the days together, but such is the joys of booking at your non-home resort. Not to mention me messing up and not booking at 7 months. I thought I'd already banked my points, but it was showing I was past my banking cutoff, so booking it was. Actually, I'm kinda glad I messed up...now we get two resorts we've never done before.

Hello all.
Thanks for the well wishes from you guys.
Back's doing marginally better. I can actually move around a bit without screaming now. Bit of a relief.
More rest and hoping to be back on my feet soon.

Glad to hear there is progress. Keep healing.

Life of Norm!

I do have my moments.

I realize they're messing with your pension (which as others have said is criminal), but shouldn't you get the surgery sooner rather than later? Aside from the pension, I thought the other thing about state/federal work was better health care.

Well, that's what I hear too. Too bad it doesn't apply. I have the one with $6500 OOP before insurance picks up. The other plans have high monthly payments and high co-insurance %s.

Well gents, all talk of physical ailments and greying hair aside, some good news...
I booked our stay at da world in February. 18th-22nd. 1 night at Beach club and 3 nights at boardwalk. Both of which we've never done before, so looking forward to it. Wish I could've gotten all the days together, but such is the joys of booking at your non-home resort. Not to mention me messing up and not booking at 7 months. I thought I'd already banked my points, but it was showing I was past my banking cutoff, so booking it was. Actually, I'm kinda glad I messed up...now we get two resorts we've never done before.

Good get. I've stayed at all the DVC resorts at wdw except GF, and Boardwalk is my home resort. The area is the best - walk to two parks and all the restaurants.

Morning Guys.

It's Monday, nothing special happening, just another day.

Have fun on the trip.

Glad to hear there is progress. Keep healing.

I do have my moments.

Well, that's what I hear too. Too bad it doesn't apply. I have the one with $6500 OOP before insurance picks up. The other plans have high monthly payments and high co-insurance %s.
So, essentially you have the catastrophic option. :sad2:

Totally forgot because I was excited to share the good (for me) news.

For those of you who've stayed at Boardwalk (or it's your home resort...cough, cough, Norm)...

Ideas/thoughts/suggestions/pitfalls/etc., etc.

Here's what I know for now...
We will be eating at cape may cafe because DW loves crab legs
We will be eating at Captain's grille because I've heard they have best steaks on property
We will NOT be eating pizza from the boardwalk walk up window. Heard it's the worst pizza on property.
Will probably do HS and EPCOT since we can walk to both.

Morning all.
Thanks for the well wishes. Back is better than yesterday, hopefully better still tomorrow.

For those of you who've stayed at Boardwalk (or it's your home resort...cough, cough, Norm)...

We will be eating at Captain's grille because I've heard they have best steaks on property
We will NOT be eating pizza from the boardwalk walk up window. Heard it's the worst pizza on property.
Sounds great!
Has Captain's grille usurped Le Cellier’s fillet?

So, essentially you have the catastrophic option. :sad2:

YUP! Sadly, the "best" option cost $150 a month and still a $2500 OOP. Not much better.

What ideas would you like to have?

I know most enjoy the crab leg buffet at Cape May. The last two times have been watery, so we are going to Garden Grove crab leg buffet at Swolphin. Best steaks at Captain's Grill? They are good, although maybe not best. The filet at Shula's was really good and really expensive.

They did change the pizza at Boardwalk pizza window. We have purchased a large pizza and enjoyed it outside at the pool. When you buy a whole one, they make it fresh. Beaches n Cream is fun ice cream shop. You need an ADR for inside.

As for options, check out the Swan & Dolphin as there many there. I like the Ale & Compass lounge at the Yacht Club, and i think they share a kitchen with Captain's Grill. Boardwalk has Jelly Rolls piano bar that we haven't tried, but is on our list. They have free Boardwalk night entertainment with single performers, magic tricks, plate spinners that are fun. ESPN club has pitchers of draft beers, lots of tvs, and don't need reservations. Boardwalk has tennis courts and a great community hall at the villas side private pool.

You can also walk over to mini golf (Fantasia). The Star Wars fireworks at DHS are great, but you have to strain to here them from Boardwalk. It is a short walk over to DHS where you can watch them from the front of the park and listen to the music.

Sounds great!
Has Captain's grille usurped Le Cellier’s fillet?

The steak is good, but I don't like eating downstairs. It feels like a dungeon with no outdoor lights. Is that how all Canadian restaurants are? Is that to keep you safe from the penguin army? :lmao:

The steak is good, but I don't like eating downstairs. It feels like a dungeon with no outdoor lights. Is that how all Canadian restaurants are? Is that to keep you safe from the penguin army? :lmao:
Insulation against the cold.
And never trust a penguin where steak is concerned.

Just..... don't.

YUP! Sadly, the "best" option cost $150 a month and still a $2500 OOP. Not much better.

What ideas would you like to have?
All the ones given and any others you may think of. We've never been at an EPCOT area resort, so this is a whole new experience/world for us. Obviously, we've been around the WS, but not BWV, BCV, Dolphin, Swan, etc.

I know most enjoy the crab leg buffet at Cape May. The last two times have been watery, so we are going to Garden Grove crab leg buffet at Swolphin. Best steaks at Captain's Grill? They are good, although maybe not best. The filet at Shula's was really good and really expensive.
Again, no knowledge (well not much) about this area. I didn't know Garden Grove crab leb buffet existed. Is that ALL they have is crab legs? DW loves 'em, but not so much for me and DD. I just saw a TR by @ariane37 and she said it was horrible and even her teen boys (who will eat just about anything) didn't like it either and then others chimed in saying their experience was similar. Maybe it's hit or miss or just some folks like it and others don't. I think what I had heard about Captain's grille is the best that isn't insanely expensive maybe.

They did change the pizza at Boardwalk pizza window. We have purchased a large pizza and enjoyed it outside at the pool. When you buy a whole one, they make it fresh. Beaches n Cream is fun ice cream shop. You need an ADR for inside.
Oh yea, beaches & cream...heard a lot of good about it.

As for options, check out the Swan & Dolphin as there many there. I like the Ale & Compass lounge at the Yacht Club, and i think they share a kitchen with Captain's Grill. Boardwalk has Jelly Rolls piano bar that we haven't tried, but is on our list. They have free Boardwalk night entertainment with single performers, magic tricks, plate spinners that are fun. ESPN club has pitchers of draft beers, lots of tvs, and don't need reservations. Boardwalk has tennis courts and a great community hall at the villas side private pool.
Keep 'em coming...taking notes.

You can also walk over to mini golf (Fantasia). The Star Wars fireworks at DHS are great, but you have to strain to here them from Boardwalk. It is a short walk over to DHS where you can watch them from the front of the park and listen to the music.
Mini golf has never been something I've considered at Disney...I mean, I can do mini golf anywhere.

I like penguins, but not sure they know how to do steak. ;)

Top O the Mornin Dads! Did a bunch of nothing on Saturday but did get a good amount of yard work done on Sunday. Nice dinner out Saturday night with some friends and other than that just a real uneventful weekend other than ND showing they are better than most thought going into the season - though USC is not as good as advertised. Congrats on the Phins CJ, 4-2 who'd a thunk. Let's get through another weak gents.
Happy Weekend, all.
Not so much fun for me. Threw my back out yesterday again.
On the other hand, I'm enjoying screaming in pain whenever I move slightly wrong, so there's that.
Sorry to hear, back pain is the worst. Good thoughts for a speedy recovery
Morning all. Tennis this morning and struggled. I'm going to have to go up to the more rigid brace for my knee, which is still cheaper than surgery.
Hope you enjoyed the "crown" pain meds and are feeling better.
I was going to say “hope you’re all enjoying the weekend” but it sounds like some of you are falling apart. We’re all getting old I suppose. DD17’s boyfriend was here last night and they were talking about his hair, if it was dirty blond or light brown. I said it was dirty blond like mine. I was quickly corrected and informed that my hair is most definitely grey (or gray if you’re not using the Queen’s English). Yep, getting old can be rough.

Speaking of the boyfriend, he had dinner at our house last night for the first time. I was on my best behaviour, although I did make sure to point my knife in his direction a few times.
I'm with Norm on reminding them that the gray haired guy provides a pretty decent life around here for everybody as well as reminding them of how they are the cause of said gray. Don't miss those boyfriend times but now have one of them as a SIL .........................

Oh yea, beaches & cream...heard a lot of good about it.

Try for an ADR as soon as your window opens. Don't be surprised if it's difficult. Keep checking back if you don't get one.

I like penguins, but not sure they know how to do steak. ;)

Penguin steaks have to be cooked to at least medium well since they're birds. Tastes like chicken, only saltier.

Sorry to hear, back pain is the worst. Good thoughts for a speedy recovery

Thanks.
Pulled the pin and called in sick for my shift this evening. Thought I could... my scream when I pulled on my pants was enough to convince me I'm not quite ready yet.

I just realized it may have been yachtsman that someone said was great steak. It's hard to say...I've read so many reviews and hard to keep track.
Did snag an ADR for beaches & cream at 1:45, so late lunch, but have a late dinner that night too, so works out.

I guess doing well in school and being observant at home are two different things.
I have one of those too. She gets top marks in school. But can she find the container of yogurt we just bought. Nope, not a chance.

Don't miss those boyfriend times but now have one of them as a SIL
If I’m being honest, this one doesn’t seem too bad. I might not admit that to her for a while. One of these days I’ll probably look forward to having a SIL. One thing I miss having two daughters is a guy to hang out with.

Went up to the stage 2 knee brace at tennis tonight, the one with stabilizers and Velcro straps. It felt weird having something that heavy on my knee, but it worked. Not much pain at all. A major improvement.

Insulation against the cold.
And never trust a penguin where steak is concerned.

Just..... don't.

Good thinking there Butch.

Again, no knowledge (well not much) about this area. I didn't know Garden Grove crab leb buffet existed. Is that ALL they have is crab legs? DW loves 'em, but not so much for me and DD. I just saw a TR by @ariane37 and she said it was horrible and even her teen boys (who will eat just about anything) didn't like it either and then others chimed in saying their experience was similar. Maybe it's hit or miss or just some folks like it and others don't. I think what I had heard about Captain's grille is the best that isn't insanely
;)

The mini golf is Disney themed. We did it once. Garden Grove only has crab legs certain nights with other foods. Most of the guys on FB love Cape May Crab legs. When Futon's Crab House was at DTD, I would rather bus there for the crab. More expensive and not all you can eat, but better tasting.

The Boardwalk really is electric at night. Take time to enjoy the night entertainment and walk around the Boardwalk.

Since you are only at Beach Club one day, try to get the most out of the pool Stormalong Bay (SAB). It is unique pool, and most people find it to be the best on property. I like it for it's theming, but it is different from every pool. It has a lazy river, albeit very short. You can't pool hop to SAB from other resorts.

Hope you enjoyed the "crown" pain meds and are feeling better.

I'm with Norm on reminding them that the gray haired guy provides a pretty decent life around here for everybody as well as reminding them of how they are the cause of said gray. Don't miss those boyfriend times but now have one of them as a SIL .........................

Out of Crown, and onto OZ Tyler bourbon. Us grey or gray hairs have to stay United.

Thanks.
Pulled the pin and called in sick for my shift this evening. Thought I could... my scream when I pulled on my pants was enough to convince me I'm not quite ready yet.

I rarely call in sick, and imagine it's the same for you. Hope you get better.

I just realized it may have been yachtsman that someone said was great steak. It's hard to say...I've read so many reviews and hard to keep track.
Did snag an ADR for beaches & cream at 1:45, so late lunch, but have a late dinner that night too, so works out.

Yachtsman Steakhouse is good, but it is a signature dining, so a bit higher on price. Still, it was worth it. The best cheap place I had for steak was the Prime Rib at Turf Club at SSR, but it isn't worth busing over there.

Good news for DS tonight, he is now a proud member of the Leo Hayes Varsity Basketball team.

Congrats!

Went up to the stage 2 knee brace at tennis tonight, the one with stabilizers and Velcro straps. It felt weird having something that heavy on my knee, but it worked. Not much pain at all. A major improvement.

Good to hear. I've always wondered about those... Just how effective are they.

Morning all. Looks like late summer is paying a visit again today, suppose to be pushing 80F today before some major rain starting tomorrow. The rain is much needed here. There has been to rain to speak of since late June and we have 3 fires burning near here that have been smouldering for a couple of months.

Great to hear about the knee brace Norm, couple more weeks and you will be ready for the tour.

Good news for DS tonight, he is now a proud member of the Leo Hayes Varsity Basketball team.

Congrats to Declan.

Good to hear. I've always wondered about those... Just how effective are they.

I was skeptical, but I'm sold now. Had some pain going all out a few times, but it stopped right afterwards. With the other brace, once the pain started, it didn't stop.

Great to hear about the knee brace Norm, couple more weeks and you will be ready for the tour.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, but those days are over, if they ever were.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter