DEATH ON FREEFALL AT ICON PARK

My thoughts as well, and honestly, if their training consisted of "if the light is on it's good to go" then I can't fault him, he trusted the machine to do it's job, why wouldn't he? This is 100% on the manufacturer and the inspectors imo.
Yep. Most these rides are operated by kids being paid minimum wage, the rides should be designed to not operate if someone doesn't fit properly. Either the light doesn't go on if the harness isn't down far enough or there is a secondary strap. You cannot rely solely on a kid to guess someone's weight, or somehow know that the harness isn't down far enough to hold them in, and turn them away.

This reminds me a bit of the guy who was killed on the Superman ride at six flags New England back in the early 2000s. Similar things in common: guy was too big for the ride, restraint didn’t engage properly, tragic ending in both cases. It’s unfathomable that 20 years later that things like this are still happening without the proper redundancies in place

In my opinion, someone should work with the state's Attorney General to require ALL thrill parks (including traveling fairs) to require a redundant safety belt strap between your legs for any type of thrill ride where launching out of the seat is a real possibility should the shoulder harness fail. Not all rides that have a safety bar would need one, but those where the body relies on the shoulder harness should.

I've often imagined in my head what we happen in this same scenario while standing in some lines... it ain't a pretty thought (and I ride a lot of thrill rides). Just got back from a Universal trip and rode the big 3 coasters (Velocicoaster, Rip Ride Rocket, Hulk) - some of those having you leaning with all your weight on the harness at times. When we rode Dr Doom at Universal, the worker x5 checked each harness (I recall - he counted out loud). You could tell this accident was on his mind, and I responded with a "I appreciate the x5 checking".

Last edited:

First I will say my condolences to the kids family. It's horrible what happened. He should never been allowed to ride.

I'm going to be hated on for saying this but it's obvious to me that most of you don't visit any parks outside of Disney. The starflyer that's at Icon Park has the same restraints and seats as every other starflyer in the world. It is a very safe ride.

While I agree with there needing to me seat belts added to the bottom part of the harness, I still feel the ride is very safe. I know this may come off as disrespectful due to what happened but when stuff like this happens, it hurts the amusement park industry. What ends up happening is many uninformed people who don't go to parks post or say things that cause a lot of misinformation to spread. With that misinformation a lot times it does tend to cause people to not go to parks at all. In the end we all lose cause less people visiting parks, less money comes in which in turn means less new attractions.

While I agree with there needing to me seat belts added to the bottom part of the harness, I still feel the ride is very safe. I know this may come off as disrespectful due to what happened but when stuff like this happens, it hurts the amusement park industry. What ends up happening is many uninformed people who don't go to parks post or say things that cause a lot of misinformation to spread. With that misinformation a lot times it does tend to cause people to not go to parks at all. In the end we all lose cause less people visiting parks, less money comes in which in turn means less new attractions.

AKA have the $20 belts installed.

AKA have the $20 belts installed.
That's not what I was saying at all. I was more talking about how now cause of what happened many are going on about how all rides there are not safe and should be torn down.

That's not what I was saying at all. I was more talking about how now cause of what happened many are going on about how all rides there are not safe and should be torn down.
So you prefer an entertainment ride that may not be safe (and considering the post subject they have proven themselves that their safety standards are lacking ) remain open for the thrills no matter that ppl might die, like the 14 year old that literally just did? It's a ride, the company can rebuild it with better harnesses. Ppl over profits yeah?

when I was young, we would go to the local amusement park. one year, my friend's restraint on the rollercoaster popped open as we started the ride! absolutely terrifying!!!! thankfully it wasn't a major coaster, just one of those wooden "up and down" in a saddle shape old-fashioned ones. I remember locking our arms together at the elbow and holding to each other so very very tight we left bruises...

I'm not sure it should be torn down, but think folks have a right to think and say it's not safe and should be torn down. I don't see that as misinformation-more opinion.

My point is your highlighted response is spot on IMO-therefore from now on add the belts, and any new attractions similar get the belts as well. They are shooting themselves in the foot and tempting fate.

From what I've seen so far (and that can change) they at least needed a sign that said:

"If your are 268 pounds or less, you are safe to ride.

If you are 269 pounds or more, your harness will release on the way down at 75 miles per hour. At that point you will be ejected, and pick up even more speed the last 100 feet into pavement."

I mean who actually found out through testing, you will die at 269 pounds and above but we don't need to share that. And then not conclude "hey lets also test with a belt and see if that helps.

The starflyer that's at Icon Park has the same restraints and seats as every other starflyer in the world. It is a very safe ride.
we're not talking about the starflyer
I haven't read anyone on DIS suggesting that

The shoulder harness did what it was designed to do, click in place to match the size of the rider. But here the designers might have overlooked that everybody has a lot of muscle and soft tissue and not that much rigid skeleton. In Tyree's case, his body could have squished enough to slip between the harness and the seat cushion. The ride could well need two or three belts or brackets connecting the harness to the seat cushion so as not to dig into the body of the rider as the ride decelerates rapidly (intentional effect) to a stop. The extra belt(s), comparable to the crotch strap on Soarin', would also provide safety if the harness click notches failed, which did not happen here.

Tyree was so heavy (better term here is massive) that there is more force (better term here is momentum) that could cause him to be forced out from under the harness during deceleraiton and possibly bruising and crushing him at that moment.

Whoever was quoted as saying "seat belt on the left" must have been joking since I did not see any seat belts in the ppictures of the ride posted. I have been on non-aerial and slow rides (including the Disney parking lot trams) where an operator joked exactly that.

Last edited:
oh and to add to insult... the operators of the ride decided that they just wouldn't load that row of seats any more .... not that the ride should be stopped or inspected, or anything of that nature. so I think that was the last time we got on THAT ride...

oh and to add to insult... the operators of the ride decided that they just wouldn't load that row of seats any more .... not that the ride should be stopped or inspected, or anything of that nature. so I think that was the last time we got on THAT ride...
Are you sure? I thought that ride is closed until further notice, pending.a state review

Are you sure? I thought that ride is closed until further notice, pending.a state review
The post you're replying to was a continuation of that poster's previous post talking about something that happened to them when they were younger. Look at them together...

when I was young, we would go to the local amusement park. one year, my friend's restraint on the rollercoaster popped open as we started the ride! absolutely terrifying!!!! thankfully it wasn't a major coaster, just one of those wooden "up and down" in a saddle shape old-fashioned ones. I remember locking our arms together at the elbow and holding to each other so very very tight we left bruises...

Oh this is bad....

"Two seats on an Orlando, Florida, amusement park ride, including that of a 14-year-old boy who fell to his death from the ride last month, had been manually adjusted, a forensic engineering firm hired to investigate the incident found.
Florida Commissioner of Agriculture and Consumer Services Nikki Fried and State Rep. Geraldine Thompson, D-Orlando, presented the firm's findings during a news update Monday.
The operator of the FreeFall drop tower made manual adjustments to two seats on the ride "presumably, to allow for larger riders, which should not have happened based on the manufacturer's guidelines," said Thompson.

"All protocols, procedures and safety measures provided to us by the manufacturer of the ride were followed. Today's report suggests a full review of the ride's design, safety, operation, restraint mechanisms and history -- which of course we welcome," Trevor Arnold, an attorney for the ride's operator, Orlando Slingshot, said in a statement.

"Seat 1's harness proximity sensor was manually loosened, adjusted and tightened to allow a restraint opening of near 7 inches," about 4 inches more than the normal opening range for the restraints, according to the report produced by Quest Engineering & Failure Analysis, Inc.

The opening on the restraint may have grown to as much as 10 inches with force, according to the report.

The FreeFall drop tower manufacturer's guideline puts a rider's weight limit at 250 pounds, Thomson said; Tyre Sampson weighed approximately 340 pounds, his family told CNN.

The FreeFall takes riders to the top of a 430-foot tower, tilts them face to the ground, and falls at speeds of up to 75 mph, the ICON Park's website says. Operators call it the world's tallest free-standing drop tower, the sheriff's office said.
The ride passed a safety inspection in December before it was allowed to open, according to a safety inspection report obtained by CNN.
The document from the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services noted the drop tower passed inspection on December 20, 2021. No deficiencies were listed in the report.
The report did not indicate who adjusted the ride, but found the adjustments were made after the harness sensors of the ride "were initially secured in place."
Fried said now that they know what mechanically took place, they will next seek to find out how and why, before they assess what penalties may come.
The operator's attorney said Orlando Slingshot has "fully cooperated with the State during the initial phase of its investigation, and we will continue to do so until it has officially concluded.
The ride has been closed since Sampson's death, and it will remain closed "indefinitely," Fried said Monday.
ICON Park, where the drop tower ride is located, said it is "deeply troubled" by the report.
"We are deeply troubled that the preliminary findings of the State's investigation indicate a sensor on the Orlando FreeFall attraction, which is owned and operated by the SlingShot Group, had been mis-adjusted after the sensor was originally secured in place," the park said in a statement.
"ICON Park is committed to providing a safe, fun experience for families. We will continue to support the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services with their ongoing investigation," the statement read."

https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/18/us/florida-park-ride-teen-death-seat-investigation/index.html

Oh this is bad....

"Two seats on an Orlando, Florida, amusement park ride, including that of a 14-year-old boy who fell to his death from the ride last month, had been manually adjusted, a forensic engineering firm hired to investigate the incident found.
Florida Commissioner of Agriculture and Consumer Services Nikki Fried and State Rep. Geraldine Thompson, D-Orlando, presented the firm's findings during a news update Monday.
The operator of the FreeFall drop tower made manual adjustments to two seats on the ride "presumably, to allow for larger riders, which should not have happened based on the manufacturer's guidelines," said Thompson.

"All protocols, procedures and safety measures provided to us by the manufacturer of the ride were followed. Today's report suggests a full review of the ride's design, safety, operation, restraint mechanisms and history -- which of course we welcome," Trevor Arnold, an attorney for the ride's operator, Orlando Slingshot, said in a statement.

"Seat 1's harness proximity sensor was manually loosened, adjusted and tightened to allow a restraint opening of near 7 inches," about 4 inches more than the normal opening range for the restraints, according to the report produced by Quest Engineering & Failure Analysis, Inc.

The opening on the restraint may have grown to as much as 10 inches with force, according to the report.

The FreeFall drop tower manufacturer's guideline puts a rider's weight limit at 250 pounds, Thomson said; Tyre Sampson weighed approximately 340 pounds, his family told CNN.

The FreeFall takes riders to the top of a 430-foot tower, tilts them face to the ground, and falls at speeds of up to 75 mph, the ICON Park's website says. Operators call it the world's tallest free-standing drop tower, the sheriff's office said.
The ride passed a safety inspection in December before it was allowed to open, according to a safety inspection report obtained by CNN.
The document from the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services noted the drop tower passed inspection on December 20, 2021. No deficiencies were listed in the report.
The report did not indicate who adjusted the ride, but found the adjustments were made after the harness sensors of the ride "were initially secured in place."
Fried said now that they know what mechanically took place, they will next seek to find out how and why, before they assess what penalties may come.
The operator's attorney said Orlando Slingshot has "fully cooperated with the State during the initial phase of its investigation, and we will continue to do so until it has officially concluded.
The ride has been closed since Sampson's death, and it will remain closed "indefinitely," Fried said Monday.
ICON Park, where the drop tower ride is located, said it is "deeply troubled" by the report.
"We are deeply troubled that the preliminary findings of the State's investigation indicate a sensor on the Orlando FreeFall attraction, which is owned and operated by the SlingShot Group, had been mis-adjusted after the sensor was originally secured in place," the park said in a statement.
"ICON Park is committed to providing a safe, fun experience for families. We will continue to support the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services with their ongoing investigation," the statement read."

https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/18/us/florida-park-ride-teen-death-seat-investigation/index.html

Not surprised at this. Anything to make an extra buck. I hate these third rate amusement parks. This is the worst possible outcome here. It's akin to murder, honestly. Tampering with a safety mechanism to override weight limitations? Someone needs to go to jail.

I wonder if the ride operators knew which 2 seats were more forgiving for large riders or if it was just a coincidence.

Also would be curious if measuring that gap was part of daily safety checks recommended by the manufacturer. Seems important enough that it should be.

I wonder if the ride operators knew which 2 seats were more forgiving for large riders or if it was just a coincidence.

Also would be curious if measuring that gap was part of daily safety checks recommended by the manufacturer. Seems important enough that it should be.

I'm sure they knew. I'm sure they never measured the gap. Why would they?

Not surprised at this. Anything to make an extra buck. I hate these third rate amusement parks. This is the worst possible outcome here. It's akin to murder, honestly. Tampering with a safety mechanism to override weight limitations? Someone needs to go to jail.
Sounds likes a carnival ride thing

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter