Debt Dumpers - 2017

This sounds like a scam. What interest would the government have for erasing people's debt?
I don't see it.
Our 2 biggest debts (and only debts)are our mortgage and home equity loan. They are going to wipe that out?
Sure, they can have it.

I think they meant they will not "count" them against you for a credit score. Not they will write off the debts.

Hubby said he had heard something on the news about the government removing your two biggest debts from your credit report next year, but I've searched and haven't found anything online about it. Curious if anyone else has heard about this or if maybe he heard incorrectly (which is entirely possible with 2 under 2 being crazy loud).

There are changes coming to how credit scores are calculated, but they aren't removing your two biggest debts. The major credit bureaus will stop collecting and reporting all civil judgments (monetary damages awarded by courts against the losing parties in civil disputes) and roughly half of all tax liens (levies against properties when taxes go unpaid) when calculating your score. So if you have any of those types of debts on your report, they may be removed, which will in turn increase your score.

More information here:

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-harney-credit-score-20170601-story.html

He had said they'd remove negative debts from your credit score, but what Jen said sounds more correct than what he said.

Although, removing two big negative accounts on my credit score would be awfully nice. Lol. I could see that boosting the economy quite a bit if they were to do that.

Started doing taxes, tax has been coming out for our rental at the wrong rate. Owe $1100. Still need to input all deductions so should hopefully come down a fair way but I'm a bit bummed!

June was not a good month. Although, we did Sea World on the 3rd I have to say it did come out of the June budget...

I'm doing the July budget, and it probably be the same. Childcare is going to double as my 10 year old is out on vacation. Though, I don't mind as I am aware I pay next to nothing on childcare compared to others. My grocery and eating out budget should be decreasing in August...I'm giving up beef and pork, and just sticking with chicken for one or two nights a week (the second night might or might not be leftovers depending on if there is leftovers when I cook chicken)as I am trying to go plant based or semi as I refuse to leave dairy...I cannot do it...

Most likely I won't be paying down ny debts in July or August, but I have not added to the debt which to me is a win.

I grabbed a mini fridge on sale at Target with gift cards to eventually take to the office after my maternity leave so I can store breastmilk. DH just got moved from a cubicle into a real office and has been transitioning into his new space. When I showed the mini fridge to DH, he decided that he would like one for his new office. Totally fine by me, given they are such a good price right now. DH picked one a little bigger than mine with a separate freezer compartment. I would have gotten the same one, but mine has to fit under my desk so I had to get one that is shorter.

We had to set the in store pickup to two different Targets in town because only one had mine and the other had DH's. So we went last night to get them and once we got home, I had the receipt for my smaller one in my inbox ($90). But then for DH's ($140), I had a notice that the order had been cancelled, even though we had picked it up. So now it seems that I will not be charged for the item. I am sure as heck not dragging it back to the store, so I guess DH got a free mini fridge?

I grabbed a mini fridge on sale at Target with gift cards to eventually take to the office after my maternity leave so I can store breastmilk. DH just got moved from a cubicle into a real office and has been transitioning into his new space. When I showed the mini fridge to DH, he decided that he would like one for his new office. Totally fine by me, given they are such a good price right now. DH picked one a little bigger than mine with a separate freezer compartment. I would have gotten the same one, but mine has to fit under my desk so I had to get one that is shorter.

We had to set the in store pickup to two different Targets in town because only one had mine and the other had DH's. So we went last night to get them and once we got home, I had the receipt for my smaller one in my inbox ($90). But then for DH's ($140), I had a notice that the order had been cancelled, even though we had picked it up. So now it seems that I will not be charged for the item. I am sure as heck not dragging it back to the store, so I guess DH got a free mini fridge?

I received a credit on an order the other day. Within 2-3 days the credit was reversed.

I already had my items. I noticed it all after the fact because I was calculating whether I had met the spend on the new credit card I was using. In any event, if it hadn't reversed itself I would have contacted the company and got it fixed, as I don't like to have things that can come back later. Sometimes the company may say, 'our mistake, enjoy!" I've had this happen and I'm fine but I don't like to profit from unintentional errors. It would give me an uncomfortable feeling.

I received a credit on an order the other day. Within 2-3 days the credit was reversed.

I already had my items. I noticed it all after the fact because I was calculating whether I had met the spend on the new credit card I was using. In any event, if it hadn't reversed itself I would have contacted the company and got it fixed, as I don't like to have things that can come back later. Sometimes the company may say, 'our mistake, enjoy!" I've had this happen and I'm fine but I don't like to profit from unintentional errors. It would give me an uncomfortable feeling.

If they correct their error, I am happy to pay for it.

I've had this happen at Target before, but I think my cashier forgot to marked my order as picked up instead of canceling it. I kept getting reminder e-mails to "pick up my item before the order was canceled." Finally I just got an email that my order had been canceled. Got a bunch of pillows for free.

Speaking of Target, I purchased some cheap earbuds the other day for our flight to Disney since my cat ate my last pair. Then I got into work the next day and received an email that the office will be purchasing us all earbuds due to a new audio/video system we have to use on our computers. So I returned the earbuds to Target and will just use my work ones. Only about $5 saved, but I take what I can get!

I'm trying to plan out my souvenirs for our trip next month too (25 days to go!). I know I want a 2017 Christmas ornament and a Pop Century pin. I'm going to bring some older pins to trade and hopefully that will assuage my desire to buy more pins. Since I snagged a BOG reservation, I think I'm going to pick up one of the souvenir rose cups for my niece. We saw the new Beauty and the Beast together and loved it, and she sent me her final report card from 8th grade last night full of As and A+s, so I think it will be a good treat for her :cutie:

Finished taxes, after noticing I'd put in one (very large) number wrong and we will both be getting refunds. It will be enough to cover the remainder of our Fiji trip, car servicing, vet check and still have $1k to go to paying down debt.

I think, if we really knuckle down, we could have it paid off by the end of the year which is mega exciting. Our goal will be for the end of Feb though, that is more likely as no doubt more unexpected stuff will crop up and we will only have a smaller emergency fund until we finish this last card and can boost up savings.

Well, our second vehicle/rental car situation just resolved itself when an offer I can't refuse fell into my lap.

My dad has a 2013 VW Passat. He's been wanting a truck for a while now and found one at a local dealer for a screaming deal. The dealer low balled him on his trade in (he owes $5000 on the loan and they offered $2000). So he called me and asked if I'd like to take over the $200/month payment on it.

Not only do I get a decently new car, it only has about 80k miles on it, but that's $300 for a down payment I don't need to spend and $200 Less a month for a payment.

Now I'm just crossing my fingers our beast of a double stroller fits in the trunk. Lol.

I haven't been really active on this thread or on the DIS in general but I got DS21's hospital bill paid off, finally. Trying to snowball stuff, sick and tired of debt.
We got a bunch of money back from our taxes and a bonus check from work which we planned to use for a trip to England this summer ($99 one way tickets to Scotland) but we really had to put a new roof on the house so we did that and paid off a bunch of little things.
Next up is my car. Audi is buying it back (VW diesel scandal) and we are getting a lot more back than I thought. We toyed with getting another Q7 but have opted to get the new VW Atlas. It's almost as nice as the Q7, has many of the same features and is $20,000 less than the Q7. So I should only have a $300 car payment for a few years instead of a $700 car payment for many years. Now I just have to wait for the car to get here.
Other than that we are just moving along slowly.

I haven't been really active on this thread or on the DIS in general but I got DS21's hospital bill paid off, finally. Trying to snowball stuff, sick and tired of debt.
We got a bunch of money back from our taxes and a bonus check from work which we planned to use for a trip to England this summer ($99 one way tickets to Scotland) but we really had to put a new roof on the house so we did that and paid off a bunch of little things.
Next up is my car. Audi is buying it back (VW diesel scandal) and we are getting a lot more back than I thought. We toyed with getting another Q7 but have opted to get the new VW Atlas. It's almost as nice as the Q7, has many of the same features and is $20,000 less than the Q7. So I should only have a $300 car payment for a few years instead of a $700 car payment for many years. Now I just have to wait for the car to get here.
Other than that we are just moving along slowly.

We are a VW family (Tiguan and Golf Wagon), so I am very interested to hear what you think of the Atlas once you get it. Please come back then and give us a review. :-)

Well, our second vehicle/rental car situation just resolved itself when an offer I can't refuse fell into my lap.

My dad has a 2013 VW Passat. He's been wanting a truck for a while now and found one at a local dealer for a screaming deal. The dealer low balled him on his trade in (he owes $5000 on the loan and they offered $2000). So he called me and asked if I'd like to take over the $200/month payment on it.

Not only do I get a decently new car, it only has about 80k miles on it, but that's $300 for a down payment I don't need to spend and $200 Less a month for a payment.

Now I'm just crossing my fingers our beast of a double stroller fits in the trunk. Lol.

Isn't family great!

I struggled to get the double stroller and 2 car seats in my jeep Cherokee last weekend for our beach weekend. It went in and so did the car seats. Space remaining for beach chairs and luggage - not really!

I didn't want to struggle with a rooftop carrier, so we ditched the double and took a single with us which was still pretty tight. My grand daughters are 18 months and almost 6 months so the 18 month old walked on the boardwalk with us. She did really well but we didn't go too far.

I hope your stroller fits!

Quick update on us. I transferred $1,000 into savings yesterday. Our Keurig broke and instead of buying a new one, they are sending me a free new part. Instead of buying a new lawnmower we sent it to be fixed. It should be about $60.

Chugging along.

I am a big advocate of repair, not replace too. If I can get a free replacement from the manufacturer, then I try that route first. If I can reasonably fix something myself, I will. If I can't fix it, but I can reasonably pay a professional to do it, then that is my next step. And if something brakes and I can live without a new item, then I will seriously consider not buying a new one. Replacement is always the last resort.

DH's fitbit recently stopped working just over the 1 year warranty. After about 20 emails back and forth, I convinced them to send him a new one for free. Saved us over $100. But if he didn't get the free replacement, he probably would have just not bought a new one.

Quick update on us. I transferred $1,000 into savings yesterday. Our Keurig broke and instead of buying a new one, they are sending me a free new part. Instead of buying a new lawnmower we sent it to be fixed. It should be about $60.

Chugging along.

May I ask where you take your lawnmower for repairs?
We've been using a place called The Mower Shop near the Cherry Hill Mall. They're excellent but the location isn't really convenient. It would be nice to find a good alternative.

May I ask where you take your lawnmower for repairs?
We've been using a place called The Mower Shop near the Cherry Hill Mall. They're excellent but the location isn't really convenient. It would be nice to find a good alternative.
Robeys lawnmower repair 609 654 0955. It's in Medford.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter