Dentist

How much time does your actual dentist spend with you when you have an exam?

My dentist spends like 10 minutes max. He looks at the x-rays (taken by the assistant) and has the assistant note anything he sees. He then does a quick visual exam. He barely says anything to me, other than hi.
maybe 2-4 min tops most times. Quick visual/clinical exam, quick look at xrays. Asks if I have any questions. But in fairness, if there are issues or when I did have questions, they answered fully, so can't really complain.

Last edited:
I noticed this at the veterinarian’s the other day, too. Tech took the whole history. Vet came in and just said what treatment was going to be. When did this start?
about the same time as another trend I'm noticing. Every healthcare office in my area - for humans or pets - seem to close at noon "early days" 1-2 days per week. I'm always trying to pick up meds, scripts, fit in appts during working hours and several afternoons are now off the table - with no saturday hours either of course. I don't ever remember this before covid- at least not in my area.

Just went last week and my dentist did the entire cleaning, never saw the hygentist this time. I think he usually does the cleaning every other visit I have.

About 10 minutes, and we probably spend a few minutes of that time catching up (we're old friends). It would be 5 or less unless he found a problem. But he's also very accessible if we have an issue come up unexpectedly, and IMHO that's more important. The vast majority of my time is with the hygienist.

Five minute exam once a year - they only get paid for one exam but two cleaning with insurance.
We then usually chat about some common interests for another 5 or 10 minutes, but that is unrelated.

Also - most Doctor's are not that different IMO - they double or triple book, the nurse does all the work and they pop in for 5 minutes. One thing I miss in Ireland - the GP actually spent time with you.

My DW has worked the front desk/scheduler with a dentist for the past 15 years and before that worked for her father. The visits are more of a conversation about what is happening in our lives and then a check over and cancer screening. Doesn't take a whole lot of time and it never bothered me in the least.

I mean, she is motivated to be thorough because if there are any cavities, crowns etc she does the work and then writes off the balance the insurance won't cover.

How much time does your actual dentist spend with you when you have an exam?

My dentist spends like 10 minutes max. He looks at the x-rays (taken by the assistant) and has the assistant note anything he sees. He then does a quick visual exam. He barely says anything to me, other than hi.

I do really like the hygienist. So that is plus.
Thats pretty standard for my dentists (its a husband/wife team). The hygenist does all the stuff, the dentist just pops in at the end and looks everything over and takes a quick look and talks to me for a minute or two.
The only time that doesn't happen is if there is some kind of an issue that needs to be addressed, like a cavity, something needing more substatinal work, or discussing a long term plan for future things.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter