Did anyone find WL or FW more "buggy" with insects?

Childs1stTime2Disney

*A dream is a wish your heart makes*
I am a person who gets bit immediately, and often when there are mosquitos (and no, I don't prefer to use bug sprays or bug repellents even still). We stayed at GF for 9 days in April, no bites, no issues. Went to FW for Trail's End and it was first time I encountered mosquitos the whole time. Thinking about a future stay at WL and worried if you have to take the boat most often, is it more buggy because of the lagoon? Keep in mind, I don't want to travel by bus if it can be avoided. But seriously, are there more mosquitos, biting gnats due to the wooded resorts and the lagoon/dock at FW/WL?

I am a mosquito magnet too. I stayed prior to the renovation and didn't get any bites. We loved the boat ride. Ive only been to FW for mickey's backyard bbq and didn't get bit then either. The only bited I've had at Disney was on the Poly lawn watching a movie . I had quite a few but my kids didn't have any.

We've never walked around FW, but have been to WL many times and have never encountered mosquitoes. With that said, I don't know that we've ever had any issues with mosquitoes/gnats anywhere at Disney.

Stayed at WL in April and walked around a lot with no issues with bugs. I am usually a mosquito magnet and I am allergic, but the only place I have ever had issues at WDW is near Pecos Bills at MK.

We have stayed at the Wilderness Lodge multiple times in April and August. Only one time in August did I get bug bites watching the movie on the beach (prior to movie current location). I too am allergic and get bit wherever I go!

We have stayed at the Wilderness Lodge multiple times in April and August. Only one time in August did I get bug bites watching the movie on the beach (prior to movie current location). I too am allergic and get bit wherever I go!

So it's not too bad waiting on dock for the boat?

We stay at WL every September. I have never been bite while anywhere at Disney. At home I get bite seconds after walking outside. So I think you should be fine.

Is the perception that Fort Wilderness and Wilderness Lodge are more prone to bugs (than the rest of WDW) because they're out in the wilderness? Or is it just really convincing theming at work? :)

No, it's true. More woods and hanging out by the lagoon for the boat would make it more likely buggy. And it's because I stayed 9 days at the GF and no bugs really, then the one night I go to FW (by boat) mosquitos flying all around while waiting for the boat. So I base it on that, not theming.

Boat dock at Wilderness was fine. I was concerned at the Contemporary boat dock (and outdoor viewing area at California Grill) last August and we took a cab back to avoid the boat.

Why were you concerned there? But yet WL boat dock was ok?

No, it's true. More woods and hanging out by the lagoon for the boat would make it more likely buggy. And it's because I stayed 9 days at the GF and no bugs really, then the one night I go to FW (by boat) mosquitos flying all around while waiting for the boat. So I base it on that, not theming.

Oh totally fair. My comment was more tongue in cheek. My guess is that your situation was a coincidence and shouldn't be cause for concern, but I don't really have a scientific way to prove it. I attract mosquitos too, and had no issues at Wilderness Lodge, on the boat docks or otherwise.

The only time that I had a lot of mosquito bites at WDW was once when staying at the WL. Frequently, I was bitten more than once while waiting for or on the boat to the MK. By the end of the trip I had quite a collection of bites (on my legs, feet, arms and neck mostly).

However, I have stayed other times at the WL without as many bites as that time. I do get the occasional bug bite at any of the resorts, but not many. If there is a bug around, it will find me. DH didn't get a single bite!

Multiple stays at WL and FW and I have never seen a mosquito at either resort. Our stays have all been during the winter season, however.

The only mosquito bite I've ever had at WDW was while staying at POR during the summer.

DGD is very allergic to mosquito bites. And is the first to get bit any time we go outside for 1 minute. We always visit in the summer (school breaks, etc) She's never been bit on any trip to Disney, including our stays at WL. We've not been to FW for any longer than to HDDR, but it was at night.
We have been at POR, similar swampy areas, and not a single bite there.

DH gets bit easily but not the same allergic reactions. He's never had a bite we've noticed either.

This is a good thing to remember... I get bit easily but had no issues at Disney last year (POR). We'll be at WL this year though, so hoping no issues this year either!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter