"Direct Air" from Worcester, MA to Orlando/Sanford starting Nov 22

Here is an article in the Worcester Telegram about this: http://www.telegram.com/article/20080905/NEWS/809050634/1116 The planes sound very nice (TVs, etc) but they will fly into Sanford rather than MCO which is unfortunate for those of us who want to use DME rather than rent a car.

Here is part of the article:

Direct Air is set to begin low-cost passenger service out of Worcester Regional Airport with three direct flights each week to and from both the Orlando area and Punta Gorda, Fla., starting Nov. 22.

The service will feature initial regular fares of $100 each way with a $79 each-way special sale for flights booked between this afternoon and 9 p.m. Monday.

Interesting. Now will the savings offset the cost of getting from Sanford to WDW*? How nice of them to wait until I was car-renting age.
If I recall correctly, I think our esteemed moderator flew Pam Am on a similar route many moons ago.
*If i go with them, I'm putting my tickets on a credit card. That's all
I'm saying.

I just posted this over on the Cruise forum - I was at the press conference today:

[FONT=verdana,arial]
New air service planned

[/FONT][FONT=verdana,arial]WORCESTER - The Massachusetts Port Authority today released initial schedules for flights from Worcester Regional Airport to Florida that will be offered by Direct Air beginning Nov. 22, the newest attempt to re-establish commercial air service at the airport.
Massport said in a news release that flights from Worcester to Punta Gorda and Orlando Sanford International Airport will be offered three times a week. Flights will depart Worcester for Punta Gorda at 5:15 p.m. on Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays. Return flights from Punta Gorda are scheduled for 7 a.m. Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays. Flights to Orlando are scheduled to depart from Worcester at 10:35 a.m. on Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays. Return flights on the same days will leave Orlando at 2 p.m., Massport reported. Direct Air plans to use 149-seat Airbus-320 planes leased from and staffed by Virgin America. Massport reported that Direct Air plans to offer flights from Worcester to Myrtle Beach, S.C., in spring 2009, although dates have not yet been announced. Direct Air is a charter service based in Myrtle Beach. It offers flights out of Newark, N.J.; Columbus, Ohio; Niagara Falls and Plattsburgh, N.Y.; and Pittsburgh.

[/FONT]

Interesting. Now will the savings offset the cost of getting from Sanford to WDW*? How nice of them to wait until I was car-renting age.
If I recall correctly, I think our esteemed moderator flew Pam Am on a similar route many moons ago.
*If i go with them, I'm putting my tickets on a credit card. That's all
I'm saying.

I flew this route on Pan Am and we lost an engine - yes, I said, LOST AN ENGINE, over Norfolk Virginia and had to emergency land in Norfolk - we didn't have legal permission to do so so we were detained on their tarmak for hours until we were let into the terminal and then delayed hours until the flight from nachester came and picked us up -we didn't get into Sanford until 2 am into and the story gets even better from there on out......

But alas, I deliver the news that you can fly from our fair City once again!!!! be that as it may...... :rolleyes: :sad2:

I take some measure of hope that this will turn out OK since it is Vigin America sponsoring the planes and staffing the planes................

One can hope, right?....

The days and times suit us pretty well since we generally fly down on a Sunday around mid-morning and return on a Saturday in early afternoon. The $79 introductory price sounds good too but when you factor in renting a car for the drive from Sanford to WDW it works out about the same as flying SWA from MHT to MCO and taking DME. So I guess if we were planning to rent a car then Direct Air would be a better deal, otherwise SWA is only slightly higher. I do like the sound of the Direct Air planes, though:

The flights will use Airbus A320 aircraft configured with eight first class seats and 141 coach seats that feature all leather seating, plasma televisions, touch service screens, satellite radio and telephone and computer connectivity at each seat.

I agree - the schedule is much better for leisure travel than Allegiant's.

I already bought my flghts on Delta to Orlando, so I can't take advantage of this. We always rent a car so to me it's fine to go to Sanford if you get in on time when the rental counters are open.

I-4 is a drawback, though.

I haven't found any info on their website for their new Orlando flights but for their Myrtle Beach flights they charge a baggage handling fee of $5 per bag for the first two bags if you pay in advance and $10/bag if you pay when you check in. Additional fees apply for more than 2 bags/passenger and for overweight bags.

I cannot think of a WORSE time to try to do this.. Be VERY careful.

Skybus used Virgin airlines planes too!

Virgin wants cash for this service they aren't partial owners!

Because our Vero Beach reservations are for Feb vacation week, and SWA would have been $1138 for two of us, I booked flights on Direct Air today. Got Sunday 2/15 for $79 each and return on 2/22 for $149. Total came to $572.20 (they charge booking fees!) We'd have to rent a car from MCO too, so I hope they're still flying in Feb. I just really didn't want to drive I guess, and that was the alternative.

Wow! I'll be interesting to see how it turns out. I already have my tickets for December out of Logan and my November trip is before they start. But for future trips, my sister lives near the airport so good flights out of Worcester would be nice.

Because our Vero Beach reservations are for Feb vacation week, and SWA would have been $1138 for two of us, I booked flights on Direct Air today. Got Sunday 2/15 for $79 each and return on 2/22 for $149. Total came to $572.20 (they charge booking fees!) We'd have to rent a car from MCO too, so I hope they're still flying in Feb. I just really didn't want to drive I guess, and that was the alternative.
Why was the return flight $149? I thought they were offering $79 each way provided you booked before noon on Monday.

I had heard about the announcement coming out, and after going :scared1: after the JetBlue rates were released for our planned dates in April, I thought I might wait - but several airlines have come and gone from Worcester so I don't want to put my eggs in their basket just yet :) Having Virgin America behind it might help - they may at least not leave people hanging if they decide to discontinue.

I'd much rather see more airlines or more direct routes out of Manchester. It's a little further, but its a bigger airport. I wish Southwest opened their rates earlier - I might fly them more.

I flipped some dates around in April and at least got a better price out of JetBlue, although I've got connecting flights. I think it was the Saturday that was killing me.

I would NOT pin a lot of hope on the Virgin airlines backing. I have not seen anything that says Virgin is doing anything but leasing planes/crews to Direct. Actually one would think that if Virgin thought it would be profitable THEY would fly it!

Virgin leased planes to Skybus.....When Skybus went under Virgin did not do anything!

I would NOT pin a lot of hope on the Virgin airlines backing. I have not seen anything that says Virgin is doing anything but leasing planes/crews to Direct. Actually one would think that if Virgin thought it would be profitable THEY would fly it!

Virgin leased planes to Skybus.....When Skybus went under Virgin did not do anything!

I know, but if something were to happen and VA stepped up to at least help the situation (credit towards a VA flight, etc.), it would be (at least to me) a major public relations coup, and would turn my eye towards them for future travel. I need to go over to Britain sometime in the next few years anyways. Maybe they are listening... :)

But, like I said, I'm not willing to risk it for another fly-by-night (heh) operation out of Worcester.

For LisaS: The agent said all the $79 fares were gone! President's week is such a busy travel time. I put a lot of effort into this. Redialing for 20 minutes to get into the queue, and then 45 minutes of "Thank you for your call." Thank goodness for speaker phone so I could get a few things done. I will keep my fingers crossed for the best.

Air Canada also leased planes to Skybus. What happened when Skybus went under? AC had to get their planes back at their cost and repaint them and redo the livery and interior refit at their cost. They were stuck with a bill for millions, courtesy of Skybus. Those costs were then most likely passed on to the passengers.

I just read an article saying that DirectAir is following the Skybus model - I don't know if that is the best model for any new airline to follow, frankly!

Direct Air is also going to start offering "seasonal" service in Toledo. Toledo just lost two airlines so that is a good thing.
DH is in Myrtle Beach right now and loves it--if Direct Air starts flying there from here (right now it's only Toledo to Punta Gorda) we may be able to go there next summer.
Robin M.

Looks like it is Direct Air coming into Kalamazoo-they could use it, we are losing United, and Contiential was going to come , and now they changed their minds. Looks like they will fly from Kalamazoo to Sanford and Ft Myers, Florida.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter