disabilities assistance Abuse

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the wheel chair return time/mobility return time there's also Space Mountain in Magic Kingdom and Star Tours at Hollywood Studios and Space Ship Earth at Epcot.

SSE never has a long enough wait when we go to give a return time, but how could I have forgotten Star Tours? We ride it nonstop! :🤦:

Just sayin, I’ve seen plenty of “das” families waiting in long lines for another ride while awaiting a das return time, waiting in long food lines, waiting over an hour for shows, etc. So they’re essentially treating the program like a FP program snd they obviously have the ability to wait in line.
All standby queues are not created equal. Some are dark. Some are closed in while others are open-air. Some are configured so people are more single-file while others are built so they crowd together. Without knowing the specific needs of the person in question, you have no way of knowing which standby queues they are able to go through and which they aren’t.

I'm not finished reading this whole thread but had to jump in here and reply to this.

My son has used the GAC and DAS since his first trip in 2011. No matter the length of wait at Roger Rabbit, there was NO way he would enter the regular line even if there was absolutely no one else there.

I'm not finished reading this whole thread but had to jump in here and reply to this.

My son has used the GAC and DAS since his first trip in 2011. No matter the length of wait at Roger Rabbit, there was NO way he would enter the regular line even if there was absolutely no one else there.
Yep, and it's all trial and error. More than once we've left standby lines never to return to that ride again - not even on future trips, not even walk on. I'm getting very frustrated with the people who believe DAS is a scam when they don't realize that for some kids the alternative isn't mere annoyance. I'd guess 99% of us who use DAS have been driven to that customer service window because we've tried to do the parks without and had some genuinely awful outcomes.

So if it's really important to some people to cheat, or judge, or whatever they want to do fine - just don't involve us.

I use a scooter at WDW. I can walk. Don’t use a scooter at home. Saying that I can not walk miles a day at WDW. If I do I most likely not be able to walk the next day. I don’t think it a advantage, really not asking for that. I just want to enjoy DW with out being in a lot of pain

We're local annual passholders and it was actually 2 CM's who convinced us it was ok to apply for the DAS for my husband's back issues. Early this year (long b4 we knew FP was going away) I was telling a CM at a guest experience tent that if they didn't resume FPs I wasn't sure we'd renew our APs since he can't stand in a line for more than 25 min max before his back goes. They suggested the DAS, but I resisted since it wasnt what I considered a "disability" and I didn't want to take advantage. They assured me that inability to stand in a line was part of the purpose. This has made all the difference for us! That said, I'm glad he already has it because I suspect there will be an increase in requests, and not all legitimate.

We're local annual passholders and it was actually 2 CM's who convinced us it was ok to apply for the DAS for my husband's back issues. Early this year (long b4 we knew FP was going away) I was telling a CM at a guest experience tent that if they didn't resume FPs I wasn't sure we'd renew our APs since he can't stand in a line for more than 25 min max before his back goes. They suggested the DAS, but I resisted since it wasnt what I considered a "disability" and I didn't want to take advantage. They assured me that inability to stand in a line was part of the purpose. This has made all the difference for us! That said, I'm glad he already has it because I suspect there will be an increase in requests, and not all legitimate.

They didn't ask if a scooter or wheelchair would work first? If not, this could be a problem in the future - CMs not being consistent about who/why the DAS is given out?

They didn't ask if a scooter or wheelchair would work first? If not, this could be a problem in the future - CMs not being consistent about who/why the DAS is given out?
No they didn't. He can walk fine - he just can't be stationery - even in a slow moving line. A friend had inquired about a pass (also early this year) because of trouble walking. They turned him down because this doesn't save walking - at the that time you had to walk to the attraction, get a return time, then leave and walk back. And as you said, scooter or wheelchair is an option if walking us an issue. Not sure how it would work if you had one just for standing in lines.

These are the kind of posts that put me off using a DAS for fear of judgement. Clearly no understanding of different needs, different disabilities and how they are affected by differing environments. Plus a person who spends time on their vacation focusing on other people’s line habits.
My sister uses the pass and looks 100% "normal" not physically disabled,no obvious problems,often goes to the park sans husband and kids,I asked her if anyone ever said something to her or made comments.

she said not once ever and if they ever did she wouldn't give a remy's back end.

She doesnt think people really know what is going on and assume she is employee or returning ride switch parent or something.

No they didn't. He can walk fine - he just can't be stationery - even in a slow moving line. A friend had inquired about a pass (also early this year) because of trouble walking. They turned him down because this doesn't save walking - at the that time you had to walk to the attraction, get a return time, then leave and walk back. And as you said, scooter or wheelchair is an option if walking us an issue. Not sure how it would work if you had one just for standing in lines.

I'm sorry but I don't understand this - are you saying he can't sit at all, that he walks all day? I do see that in another post here you said he has a 25 minute limit on standing still, is that all at once or cumulative? I know I sound frustrated - I want you to know it's not at you or your husband, and I hope he finds relief for his back (my dad had to have discs fused it got so bad for him).My frustration is aimed at the CMs who suggested the DAS for a mobility issue. This is the road the GAC went down, IMO, and that ended the GAC.

I'm sorry but I don't understand this - are you saying he can't sit at all, that he walks all day? I do see that in another post here you said he has a 25 minute limit on standing still, is that all at once or cumulative? I know I sound frustrated - I want you to know it's not at you or your husband, and I hope he finds relief for his back (my dad had to have discs fused it got so bad for him).My frustration is aimed at the CMs who suggested the DAS for a mobility issue. This is the road the GAC went down, IMO, and that ended the GAC.
Exactly! From the beginning of DAS, it wasn’t about not being able to stand in line, it was about not being able to wait in line, which are two different things.

Exactly! From the beginning of DAS, it wasn’t about not being able to stand in line, it was about not being able to wait in line, which are two different things.
I attached the wrong quote- it's DisneyOma I was responding to. It sounds like you're suggesting that because he can walk he should use a wheelchair or scooter for just when we need to stand in a line? I can appreciate the frustration of those dealing with much more significant challenges, but his issue is serious enough that we we're literally going to the parks this year and doing nothing but walking around and eating. We're not jumping to the head of a line, we're not getting on rides any faster than those standing in line. And we did not talk CMs into this - it was 2 different CMs who convinced us that it was ok to use it for this. I'm kinda sorry I brought this up.

I attached the wrong quote- it's DisneyOma I was responding to. It sounds like you're suggesting that because he can walk he should use a wheelchair or scooter for just when we need to stand in a line? I can appreciate the frustration of those dealing with much more significant challenges, but his issue is serious enough that we we're literally going to the parks this year and doing nothing but walking around and eating. We're not jumping to the head of a line, we're not getting on rides any faster than those standing in line. And we did not talk CMs into this - it was 2 different CMs who convinced us that it was ok to use it for this. I'm kinda sorry I brought this up.

Please don't be sorry, it's not your fault - I'm frustrated that the CMs didn't suggest the use of a wheelchair for when he can't stand. There's nothing wrong with having to use one, and if it eliminates the issues he has in the queue then he should be using one instead of the DAS. If I could block out every person in front of me and behind me, and the noises and close walls (the plexiglass made things so bad this trip!) I'd be in the standard queues more as well. I used DAS for the first time this trip and only had to use First Aid once to do my therapies. Trip before that I ended up in the ER, by way of ambulance. If using a wheelchair in queues would eliminate my need to use DAS, I'd use the wheelchair. If I could get my heated/vibrating seat to work on a wheelchair, then it might actually be the fix! But I'm not mad/blaming you at all. I just wish the CMs were consistent and didn't suggest DAS for mobility issues without suggesting a mobility device/seat first.

Please don't be sorry, it's not your fault - I'm frustrated that the CMs didn't suggest the use of a wheelchair for when he can't stand. There's nothing wrong with having to use one, and if it eliminates the issues he has in the queue then he should be using one instead of the DAS. If I could block out every person in front of me and behind me, and the noises and close walls (the plexiglass made things so bad this trip!) I'd be in the standard queues more as well. I used DAS for the first time this trip and only had to use First Aid once to do my therapies. Trip before that I ended up in the ER, by way of ambulance. If using a wheelchair in queues would eliminate my need to use DAS, I'd use the wheelchair. If I could get my heated/vibrating seat to work on a wheelchair, then it might actually be the fix! But I'm not mad/blaming you at all. I just wish the CMs were consistent and didn't suggest DAS for mobility issues without suggesting a mobility device/seat first.

And this is probably why they are taking these decisions out of the hands of the CMs and onto the online crew...

Even if you used the DAS and rode rides, you still wouldn’t skip lines since it gives you a return time, not a pass to the head of the line.

And this is probably why they are taking these decisions out of the hands of the CMs and onto the online crew...

There is a choice to do either online or at the parks for the DAS, so not sure that will make it more consistent or less.

Like everything people will abuse something designed to help people really in need because they are self centered and have a me first attitude which ruins it for those truly in need. Sad commentary on society.

There is a choice to do either online or at the parks for the DAS, so not sure that will make it more consistent or less.

It will be more consistent, b/c the CMs in the CS line, for anything borderline, will probably say no and to use the online group if they'd like to provide additional support or info for their need (and since there will be fewer in line, this will be easier to do b/c no one waited an hour to get their no). And no CM in park is gonna be in the "suggest a DAS" mode. Corporate will say to them it's now on the customer to ask, and they have given everyone notice of that and the opportunity to ask.

It will be more consistent, b/c the CMs in the CS line, for anything borderline, will probably say no and to use the online group if they'd like to provide additional support or info for their need (and since there will be fewer in line, this will be easier to do b/c no one waited an hour to get their no). And no CM in park is gonna be in the "suggest a DAS" mode. Corporate will say to them it's now on the customer to ask, and they have given everyone notice of that and the opportunity to ask.

Is this speculation or fact? Because on the DAS sticky this was posted by DLGal:

So, wanted to share some info I got from a Guest Relations CM yesterday when we established DAS on our new Magic Key (annual pass at DL). We had a pretty lengthy conversation about Disney Genie and DAS changes.

The takeaways were:

1. Guest Relations CMs have gotten NO information about the new DAS program other than Disney's official public announcement

2. GR CM's have NO idea when Genie will be launching. They have heard NOTHING.

3. GR CM's expect to be trained on the new DAS implementation MAYBE a day in advance, if they are lucky. She told me that Disney is really bad about giving them information/training in advance and most of the time when changes come, they find out day of or maybe a day early.

4. It is unknown at this time whether once Genie launches, if people who have an ACTIVE DAS at the time with a 60 day length (for annual passes) will have to re enroll inside of the 60 days or if it will carry over. So, we have DAS that is good through Nov 4. If Genie launches between now and then, she was not sure if we would have to re enroll or not.

5. Basically, they know as much as we do and have a lot of the same questions, so reaching out and trying to get clarification about how the new DAS system will work is pointless at this time, because they literally have not been given any information.

Is this speculation or fact?

Speculation that can probably be assumed to be fact...
The CS line will be shorter for DAS b/c many folks will have taken care of it online.
Since there is an online option, just like everything else at Disney, they will encourage folks to use it if possible and make not using it less than pleasant (has anyone waited on those reservation phone lines vs doing online reservations lately?)
And with the online option, Disney is putting the money in to standardize this already, so they'll pass what the online folks have to onsite folks, and probably say "when you don't know, just refer to online".

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter