disabilities assistance Abuse

Status
Not open for further replies.
People are generally quite a tolerance for a toddler with an accident. However, and adult who ”looks fine” having an accident in line would be far more humiliating. Not to mention staying in line with soiled garments for an adult would be very humiliating. Most toddlers aren’t humiliated.

You’re comparing apples and oranges. Those with a bowel issue, generally have other issues. Those other issues may make it very difficult to get out of line and try to get back in. Most would give up once they got out of line.

It absolutely is 100% apples and oranges. The title and purpose of the thread is abuse right? Or perceived abuse.

I have a mobility issue that is not apparent. My DW has a new diagnosis that is not visible that does make her eligible for a DAS.

We’re VERY aware and probably hypersensitive to how it might seem when a young family strolls on up kids in tow with no apparent visual cues.

Hence why we had the discussion. We have been extremely reluctant to utilize any of the assistance so far (until the last trip) whether it be a scooter, a handicap spot, or a DAS.

But given some of the accusations in this thread, why wouldnt we consider someone trying to argue that it’s the same about this? That’s probably just us being hypersensitive about it.

Last edited:
We took our toddler prior to entering every line. With my DWs DAS, we still had to leave quite often for him to use the facilities while we were waiting in the shortened return line. With frequent hydration in 100+ temps it was not uncommon for him to need to go 15 minutes after going already.

This is why we didn't start toilet training until after one of our WDW trips. I was worried about bedwetting, accidents in line or on the bus, etc. I know some people don't have that flexibility, but we figured it just made more sense to wait.

It absolutely is 100% apples and oranges. The title and purpose of the thread is abuse right? Or perceived abuse.

I have a mobility issue that is not apparent. My DW has a new diagnosis that is not visible that does make her eligible for a DAS.

We’re VERY aware and probably hypersensitive to how it might seem when a young family strolls on up kids in tow with no apparent visual cues.

Hence why we had the discussion. We have been extremely reluctant to utilize any of the assistance so far (until the last trip) whether it be a scooter, a handicap spot, or a DAS.

But given some of the accusations in this thread, why wouldnt we consider someone trying to argue that it’s the same about this? That’s probably just us being hypersensitive about it.

I understand the sensitivity to the way people will look at you. I’ve been using a mobility device for years. It started at the parks because I couldn’t manage them. Now I use a mobility device anywhere I have to walk far. I’m not that old, look healthy, and overweight. I get what other people think - She’s just fat and lazy - However, I know that I have MS and RA and walking at all gets harder every day. So, I use my chair and ignore those who make assumptions.

Think about your wife in line with the sudden urge - What if she cannot get out of line and to a bathroom quickly enough? How embarrassing with that be for her?

We were in Epcot when a stomach virus was going around. I barely made it to the bathroom. The woman in the stall was on the phone asking a family member to go to the resort and bring her clothes because she was too humiliated to walk out into the park like that. She had a mess all over her and was near tears.

My stepson didn’t make it in time, but didn’t have a huge mess. He could walk out of the park without anyone knowing.

Now, if you have the urgency and cannot hold it on a normal basis? To me, that’s someone who needs the DAS for sure. I don’t need one since my issue is mobility, but with MS bowel and bladder issues are common. There may come a day when a DAS is necessary.

My advice, who cares what those who assume they know your life think? It’s not easy to ignore them, but as time goes on and you get older, you learn to tune them out. (I’ve only had two people over the years who were blatantly rude, and neither was in Disney.

I don't think that you understand how strict they are in the UK and EU. Most of the medical issues that Disney allows for DAS would not be considered a "disability" there. I have a legitimate medical issue that has to do with frequent and urgent bathroom issues. If I were to go to Disneyland Paris, I would not qualify for a DAS there.

I think a lot of it comes from the ADA laws. Disney bends over backwards to try not to infringe on those laws. As it is, With the change to DAS they had lawsuits from parents of children on the spectrum because they felt it wasn’t fair to have to wait in a different area instead of being shuffled to the front of the line.

I think a lot of it comes from the ADA laws. Disney bends over backwards to try not to infringe on those laws. As it is, With the change to DAS they had lawsuits from parents of children on the spectrum because they felt it wasn’t fair to have to wait in a different area instead of being shuffled to the front of the line.

Yeah, I get that. But my issue is that in the EU, my medical condition is not considered a disability, so I would not qualify for a DAS there. Which I find extremely disappointing. You would think that if a person qualifies at one park, then they should at the others, since the nature of the issue has not changed just because you cross a border. My goal is to go to all of the Disney parks around the World, but it would be a struggle to actually get on many of the rides. We are talking about a theme park here, not government assistance.

Yeah, I get that. But my issue is that in the EU, my medical condition is not considered a disability, so I would not qualify for a DAS there. Which I find extremely disappointing. You would think that if a person qualifies at one park, then they should at the others, since the nature of the issue has not changed just because you cross a border. My goal is to go to all of the Disney parks around the World, but it would be a struggle to actually get on many of the rides. We are talking about a theme park here, not government assistance.

Disney may or may not use this new policy as a chance to standardize across parks (we just don't know yet)...they may at least standardize across the US parks...

True. I know the ADA law has some requirements for theme parks to make things as accessible as possible. Disney here does better than most. It’s a shame they aren’t all uniform.

Just sayin, I’ve seen plenty of “das” families waiting in long lines for another ride while awaiting a das return time, waiting in long food lines, waiting over an hour for shows, etc. So they’re essentially treating the program like a FP program snd they obviously have the ability to wait in line.

As someone planning on using DAS for the first time due to a condition that can flare up unexpectedly, there might be entire days or the entire trip where I don't need to use DAS because my condition isn't acting up at that specific moment. Having DAS in the case that it does is important. A lot of invisible conditions work like this, and you don't know what's happening for every specific person at any given time.

People abuse the system, but it's not your place to determine that. It's up to Disney CMs to determine that. Like many have said, there are many invisible disabilities that may require a DAS. No one with a disability, visible or invisible, should have to justify their need for a DAS to anyone but the CM who issues the DAS.

Now, if the person is abusing a DAS and was dishonest to the CM issuing it, that's between the abuser and a 'higher power' (God, Jesus, Karma, etc.) only.

Just enjoy the Parks and worry about your needs, no one else's.

I’m another person who only uses a wheelchair when I’m at Disney. And I do have to get out of the chair sometimes and walk or my knees become stiff which is nearly as painful as walking 10+ miles a day. People seems to forget that just because someone isn’t “confined to a wheelchair” doesn’t mean there isn’t a legitimate need. I did about 6 trips to Disney on a bad ankle that swelled 3 times it normal size through the course of the day. I had to stop at nearly every bench I came to. By the end of the day, I was wiped out mentally from trying to push through the pain so I wouldn’t let my kids down. I was short tempered and unhappy. I would spend about 3 hours each night with my leg iced and elevated to get the swelling down enough to be able to do it again the next day. Once we left, it would take a full week for my ankle to heal enough after that abuse that it wasn’t swelling and I wasn’t limping anymore. Now, I can go all day. If I don’t let my knees get stiff, I don’t have yo do any recovery at night. Even without doing more than minimal walking, my ankle still swells twice it’s normal size. And after our last trip, we decided that even with an electric wheelchair, I’ve reached the point where I need a midweek down day. I literally could not do Disney anymore without a mobility device. And I am always afraid to post vacation pics for fear of judgement from my friends who know I do not use a wheelchair in my day to day life. You don’t know another person’s circumstances. It is not your business. And if seeing other people use a system designed to make things easier ruins your vacation because you don’t think they deserve it, or might be abusing it. That is altogether a YOU problem.

Years ago Disney would really go out of they way to help those with disabilities to have a Disney experience. That’s really not the case anyone. Why? My theory is there are so many people abusing the system.

You need look no further that the “handicap” parking lot. It’s quite common to see families park in a handicap spot, hop out and jog up to the gate. Obviously using someone else’s placard.

Folks slap a “Emotional Support Animal” vest on the family pet and poof: Service animal!

Probably the worst is when people get a scooter or wheelchair just to get some type of advantage. Our last we actually came across a family that was arguing on who turn it was to ride in the wheelchair.

Our son has cerebral palsy and is in a wheelchair full time and the slight advantages that Disney used to provide helped a bit but there are so many things we can’t do.

We’ve spoken to cast members on this issue and they basically told us they are not allowed to question guests and the fact that so many guests are abusing the system they cut back on the assistance. Somewhere along the lines the term “handicap” got lost.

Of course there are people with disabilities that may not be obvious to the untrained eye. My issue is with People that abuse the system. They should be ashamed, its embarrassing.

I just left Disney after a three day hopper. I was shocked at the amount of individuals using scooters. Didn’t seem to make much sense. Although most were obese. Shame people abuse the system when there are those that truly need it.

I just left Disney after a three day hopper. I was shocked at the amount of individuals using scooters. Didn’t seem to make much sense. Although most were obese. Shame people abuse the system when there are those that truly need it.

Just because somebody is overweight doesn’t mean that that’s the reason why they need the scooter. They could have a LEGIT disability and take medication that has weight gain as a side effect.

Have you ever thought some of them are obese because of their disability? You cannot tell if they are abusing by looking at them.

I have been using a mobility device for years. It started with Disney and now it's anytime I have to walk very far because I physically cannot do it. If you saw me sitting in a scooter or wheelchair, you might assume I'm abusing the system. However, I have progressive Multiple Sclerosis, Rheumatoid Arthritis, disc disease in my spine.

Until you've walked a mile in someone's shoes, you shouldn't judge them. Just because someone is obese, it doesn't mean they don't have other issues, too.

Trying to navigate the parks in a mobility device is exhausting enough without having other park goers making snide remarks, rolling their eyes at you, etc.

Perhaps instead of assuming people are abusing the system, be glad it's possible for the disabled to enjoy Disney also.

We just got back. 5 of us. 4 who qualify for a handicap placarda at home and one who qualifies for a DAS. For 6 days we shared ONE wheelchair. Why? Because of those who judge. None of us look handicap. We would swap out the rider every so often. On our final day, we got two wheelchairs because we just couldn't keep going. Why should we have to suffer those days just to satisfy the judgmental people at the parks or on here? Almost all rides you can be pushed through the lines so there is no real advantage like some think. As fas as DAS, my grandson has uncontrolled epilepsy and autism. He's mentally four but is really 16. You can't tell by looking at him that he is severely handicapped. Honestly, what does someone look like that is handicapped anyway? My daughter is very mindful of the DAS and if a ride has a fairly low wait time, she won't even use it. No one realizes that. They would rather judge! Sorry. Off my soapbox.

Our last trip in March of this year it took months to finally convince my DH to let me rent a scooter for him. He doesn't "look sick" but he has Diffuse Systemic Scleroderma and has had it for more than 15 years. Due to SSC he has developed lung fibrosis (shattered glass looking on imaging) and cannot manage much walking at any typical speed for long without becoming so out of breath he starts coughing, sometimes to the point of vomiting. This has been going on for YEARS, but he was very resistant to getting the scooter, in part due to what other people might say/think. My stepmother broke her little toe less than a week before our trip and I ended up renting another scooter for her to use when she needed it.

Because neither of them felt they "needed" the scooter all the time, there were occasions when my DD(16) used it or I even I used it. She has issues with her ankles and hips for a myriad of reasons that make it painful for her to walk long distances, some stemming from a femur fracture when she was 3. (Ironically, she was trying to stand on a DIsney Princess ball when she fell and broke her leg.) We didn't anticipate our DD needing the scooter, so we were very glad we arranged for two. But the looks we got sometimes, especially when trying to load on the buses, because DD would get off the scooter have one of us adults load it as they can be difficult to maneuver, were pretty harsh and DD hated those looks. :(

Our last trip in March of this year it took months to finally convince my DH to let me rent a scooter for him. He doesn't "look sick" but he has Diffuse Systemic Scleroderma and has had it for more than 15 years. Due to SSC he has developed lung fibrosis (shattered glass looking on imaging) and cannot manage much walking at any typical speed for long without becoming so out of breath he starts coughing, sometimes to the point of vomiting. This has been going on for YEARS, but he was very resistant to getting the scooter, in part due to what other people might say/think. My stepmother broke her little toe less than a week before our trip and I ended up renting another scooter for her to use when she needed it.

Because neither of them felt they "needed" the scooter all the time, there were occasions when my DD(16) used it or I even I used it. She has issues with her ankles and hips for a myriad of reasons that make it painful for her to walk long distances, some stemming from a femur fracture when she was 3. (Ironically, she was trying to stand on a DIsney Princess ball when she fell and broke her leg.) We didn't anticipate our DD needing the scooter, so we were very glad we arranged for two. But the looks we got sometimes, especially when trying to load on the buses, because DD would get off the scooter have one of us adults load it as they can be difficult to maneuver, were pretty harsh and DD hated those looks. :(
It truly makes me sad that you had to experience it, too. I'm sorry people treated you like that.

It truly makes me sad that you had to experience it, too. I'm sorry people treated you like that.
Thank you. It was disappointing and frustrating, especially where DD was concerned. For myself, I try to ignore it and just look at it as at least those people are living lives where they're blessed enough to not (yet) know what it is like to need assistance of person or technology to simply get around. Now if I had to deal with those attitudes and judgements every day, I doubt I could be so forgiving. /shrug

I did about 6 trips to Disney on a bad ankle that swelled 3 times it normal size through the course of the day. I had to stop at nearly every bench I came to. By the end of the day, I was wiped out mentally from trying to push through the pain so I wouldn’t let my kids down. I was short tempered and unhappy. I would spend about 3 hours each night with my leg iced and elevated to get the swelling down enough to be able to do it again the next day. Once we left, it would take a full week for my ankle to heal enough after that abuse that it wasn’t swelling and I wasn’t limping anymore.

I was like this when we went to WDW in June. Every night, I would sit on the floor of the shower (no tub that trip) and run cold water over my knees, ankles and hips (from the movable showerhead). Then I would put icepacks on them for hours.
After, I spent a week without doing much at all, except one trip to the store (usually an hour, took me 2 with how slow I had to go). Another week of slightly more moving. Then I fell down 3 cement steps while taking out trash; landed with my legs bent up under my behind, and my back on the ground. Another 3 weeks of barely moving, with injured back and knees.

Next time, if we go again, I'm looking at an ECV. DH and I can take turns using it as needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter