Disney Resorts Reopening

So this is also our concern. We are staying at Polynesian villas (dvc reservation) is this considered a dvc resort even though most of the resort is a hotel? We are arriving 7/11 and it just hit me that it may not be open
Polynesian Villas were specifically listed as opening in June. So no worries!
Let me start by saying I know nothing and am purely speculating, but I would assume at least one of the All Stars will be open. And if I had to guess, I would bet Movies would be one of them since it’s the most popular choice. Maybe I’m just being optimistic since that’s where I’m booked for my trip that’s currently in limbo. Lol
I think if they open 1 they’ll open all of them. But I actually think the All Stars are the least likely resorts to open in all of WDW. Bus only to all resorts and buses are going to have to be socially distanced to they’ll need to run about 3x as many as usual. Better to move people to AoA or Pop (or better). I think Coronado Springs and Port Orleans are the next least likely to open for the same reason.
I'm wondering at the wording. It says dvc resorts open to member and GUESTS. Could that be construed as everyone with reservations will be moved to a dvc resort?
Guest in DVC lingo has a specific meaning - people who stay in the room along side the owners or in place of the owners. These people enjoy some but not all DVC benefits unless personally accompanied by the owner.

Disney does not own the right to put people in DVC rooms, they sold that right to the owners. If the owners trade their points in for like a cruise or something then Disney can list it (plus Sisney retains a small % of points to all resorts so they can sell them and do renovations etc), but they can’t just block out rooms for Moving CBR guests or something.
If they consolidate, my guess is they will move people to an equivalent resort or upgrade.
Not gonna lie; I’d love to be upgraded
Agree.

DVC member here. Just to clarify, Disney can only move you to a DVC resort if it is part of the small percentage of the rooms in each resort that Disney actually owns. DVC members own the majority of rooms at the resorts, and they are not available for Disney to use. Also, the DVC resorts are going to be heavily booked for the next two years because owners have been shut out since March, and because Disney is extending the deadline for banked points expiration. So if you are looking to rent DVC, that might be possible, but jump on it right away. The same for securing a DVC room through Disney. Do that ASAP if that's what you're thinking about.

DVC member here. Just to clarify, Disney can only move you to a DVC resort if it is part of the small percentage of the rooms in each resort that Disney actually owns. DVC members own the majority of rooms at the resorts, and they are not available for Disney to use. Also, the DVC resorts are going to be heavily booked for the next two years because owners have been shut out since March, and because Disney is extending the deadline for banked points expiration. So if you are looking to rent DVC, that might be possible, but jump on it right away. The same for securing a DVC room through Disney. Do that ASAP if that's what you're thinking about.

Thank you for clarifying Disney cannot move guests to DVC rooms (unless a DVC member traded them for a cruise or something).

However, there are Disney resorts that predate DVC, so while there is a DVC presence, Disney still owns a lot of the room. The Grand Floridian has 867 rooms, but only 147 DVC studios and villas. DVC owns BLT, but Disney owns the Contemporary. If Disney decides to upgrade guests, the can utilize their considerable number of existing rooms in the traditional hotel portions. If Disney is opening DVC properties, I don't think Disney would open BLT but keep the Contemporary closed.

I think if they open 1 they’ll open all of them. But I actually think the All Stars are the least likely resorts to open in all of WDW. Bus only to all resorts and buses are going to have to be socially distanced to they’ll need to run about 3x as many as usual. Better to move people to AoA or Pop (or better). I think Coronado Springs and Port Orleans are the next least likely to open for the same reason.

Guest in DVC lingo has a specific meaning - people who stay in the room along side the owners or in place of the owners. These people enjoy some but not all DVC benefits unless personally accompanied by the owner.

Disney does not own the right to put people in DVC rooms, they sold that right to the owners. If the owners trade their points in for like a cruise or something then Disney can list it (plus Sisney retains a small % of points to all resorts so they can sell them and do renovations etc), but they can’t just block out rooms for Moving CBR guests or something.

Agree.
Thank you so much!! I did call today and the cast member told me that as long as we’re in a dvc villa, it will be open. Thank you! So many unknowns

Thank you for clarifying Disney cannot move guests to DVC rooms (unless a DVC member traded them for a cruise or something).

However, there are Disney resorts that predate DVC, so while there is a DVC presence, Disney still owns a lot of the room. The Grand Floridian has 867 rooms, but only 147 DVC studios and villas. DVC owns BLT, but Disney owns the Contemporary. If Disney decides to upgrade guests, the can utilize their considerable number of existing rooms in the traditional hotel portions. If Disney is opening DVC properties, I don't think Disney would open BLT but keep the Contemporary closed.
Absolutely. But Disney hotel rooms are completely separate from DVC units. Disney can certainly upgrade guests to a regular hotel room in a deluxe resort. And I hope they do! Upgrades are awesome! I was merely speaking to the poster who was hoping to be upgraded to a two bedroom DVC unit. That can only happen if Disney has DVC units that they own available. And I really hope some people get lucky with that, too! Crossing my fingers for plentiful pixie dust and resort upgrades for everyone!! 🧚‍♀️

Agree.
There are dvc rooms on the disney website to book all the time all all year long, I myself have booked VGF and PVB and BCV many times and many Disney TA have been told that ppl are going to be moved to dvc resorts. Bob chapek himself said guest will be moved bc they arent opening all resorts.

Absolutely. But Disney hotel rooms are completely separate from DVC units. Disney can certainly upgrade guests to a regular hotel room in a deluxe resort. And I hope they do! Upgrades are awesome! I was merely speaking to the poster who was hoping to be upgraded to a two bedroom DVC unit. That can only happen if Disney has DVC units that they own available. And I really hope some people get lucky with that, too! Crossing my fingers for plentiful pixie dust and resort upgrades for everyone!! 🧚‍♀️

That is not quite accurate, Any DVC rooms not booked 60 days before check in by a DVC owner, can be sold for cash by Disney.

Yes, DVC does give inventory to Disney to pay for trades, but they also get them if we haven’t booked yet. And, DVCM..our management company...can turn them over earlier based on booking patterns,

So, right now, any DVC rooms available through August 1st, for sure, can..and I believe will..be used to move cash guests from resorts not opening.

That is not quite accurate, Any DVC rooms not booked 60 days before check in by a DVC owner, can be sold for cash by Disney.

Yes, DVC does give inventory to Disney to pay for trades, but they also get them if we haven’t booked yet. And, DVCM..our management company...can turn them over earlier based on booking patterns,

So, right now, any DVC rooms available through August 1st, for sure, can..and I believe will..be used to move cash guests from resorts not opening.
Yes, absolutely! I was trying to simplify my response because DVC can be ridiculously confusing, and I only succeeded in making myself look ignorant. Not the first time. 😂

It's been my understanding that Disney can acquire DVC rooms in a bunch of ways...the ones that have been retained by them from the beginning, the ones that are currently "undeclared inventory”, the rooms that have been exchanged for cruises or regular hotel room use in other Disney resorts like in the Tokyo or Shanghai resorts, the points that were exchanged for RCI, the points they got back in ROFR, and the points forfeited in the 60 day window. Apparently, we DVC owners like to give our points back in a bunch of different ways! 😁

And I really hope that folks who booked a value resort have the opportunity to be upgraded to a villa...they are amazing to stay in. But a word of warning....you'll definitely want to buy DVC afterwards!!! 🥰

Also, right now....at least for the times I've booked our next vacation (in November), the DVC room availability for members is pretty much waitlist only. My home resort of Old Key West is booked solid for two-bedroom units (on the member website). I have never seen that happen for a week in early November. It should make for a fun next couple of years trying to get a reservation! I hope non-DVC guests have better luck getting a villa!

Thank you again for your clarification! In trying to keep things simple, I inevitably made it a bit more muddled. Apologies!! ❤️

Yes, absolutely! I was trying to simplify my response because DVC can be ridiculously confusing, and I only succeeded in making myself look ignorant. Not the first time. 😂

It's been my understanding that Disney can acquire DVC rooms in a bunch of ways...the ones that have been retained by them from the beginning, the ones that are currently "undeclared inventory”, the rooms that have been exchanged for cruises or regular hotel room use in other Disney resorts like in the Tokyo or Shanghai resorts, the points that were exchanged for RCI, the points they got back in ROFR, and the points forfeited in the 60 day window. Apparently, we DVC owners like to give our points back in a bunch of different ways! 😁

And I really hope that folks who booked a value resort have the opportunity to be upgraded to a villa...they are amazing to stay in. But a word of warning....you'll definitely want to buy DVC afterwards!!! 🥰

Also, right now....at least for the times I've booked our next vacation (in November), the DVC room availability for members is pretty much waitlist only. My home resort of Old Key West is booked solid for two-bedroom units (on the member website). I have never seen that happen for a week in early November. It should make for a fun next couple of years trying to get a reservation! I hope non-DVC guests have better luck getting a villa!

Thank you again for your clarification! In trying to keep things simple, I inevitably made it a bit more muddled. Apologies!! ❤

Thank you! Yes, things are slim pickings but, they are a changing as I just got my late October trip changed to a RIV 1 bedroom,

I do agree that any guests who are upgraded will have a hard time not wanting to own!

I feel confident we will get an upgrade if our rooms aren’t open. Travel agents in platinum companies have been told by higher ups

Jambo house will be open on 6/22 because it is considered a DVC property. I spent 2 hours on the phone this morning verifying this. We check in on 7/6.

We also have a reservation starting on 7/11 at Coronado. The parks will be open and we have tickets, but not sure we will have a place to sleep at this point.
Thanks for taking the time to check on this! We have a check-in date of July 19 and they appear to be removing availability at Jambo for the whole summer. I was thinking that either they are carefully controlling Jambo numbers to move cash guests there or they were going to move us someplace, possibly Kidani. There has been something very odd going on at Jambo but I guess we will wait and see! I’m watching carefully and will breathe a sigh of relief if they are letting people stay there on the 22nd. Appreciate your post!

Thanks for taking the time to check on this! We have a check-in date of July 19 and they appear to be removing availability at Jambo for the whole summer. I was thinking that either they are carefully controlling Jambo numbers to move cash guests there or they were going to move us someplace, possibly Kidani. There has been something very odd going on at Jambo but I guess we will wait and see! I’m watching carefully and will breathe a sigh of relief if they are letting people stay there on the 22nd. Appreciate your post!
I thought no resorts were currently showing availability as they migrate computer systems. Are you seeing availability at resorts besides Jambo??

I thought no resorts were currently showing availability as they migrate computer systems. Are you seeing availability at resorts besides Jambo??

DVC resorts can be booked. That is all currently mainly because legally they can't really stop DVC people from booking.

DVC resorts can be booked. That is all currently mainly because legally they can't really stop DVC people from booking.
Ah. If the poster was referring to a points booking I did not catch that.

Do you know where that list is? Or was it just all DVC? I thought I saw a list somewhere, but I have been reading so much. There is no list on the WDW official page, just DVC. Thanks

Do you know where that list is? Or was it just all DVC? I thought I saw a list somewhere, but I have been reading so much. There is no list on the WDW official page, just DVC. Thanks

ALL DVC opening June 22nd. Nothing else announced as opening.

It circulated on the blogs. It specifically said Polynesian Villas and Bungalows. It did not say Polynesian resort and villas.

Through the DVC site, all the DVC resorts have availability of some sort except Jambo is very strange with what appears like the summer not available. There will be a few dates available that I think are people canceling and those can be booked. Otherwise it’s the only resort with basically nothing showing as available and that’s all studios and 1 bedrooms, haven’t checked 2 bedrooms or larger.

Through the DVC site, all the DVC resorts have availability of some sort except Jambo is very strange with what appears like the summer not available. There will be a few dates available that I think are people canceling and those can be booked. Otherwise it’s the only resort with basically nothing showing as available and that’s all studios and 1 bedrooms, haven’t checked 2 bedrooms or larger.

Following up on our earlier DVC conversation, our reservation was in a grand villa. When I moved us to BLT our old reservation at AKV-J was gone within 10 minutes, and the summer months were showing ZERO availability at that time. Possibly a waitlist filled, but there are still grand villas open places like BLT and BWV which are walking distance to the parks so that still seems very strange... fingers still crossed it’s a system glitch!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter