Disney Resorts to start charging parking fees....

Status
Not open for further replies.
So for a semi-fun, semi-serious comparison, I compared the "Happiest Place on Earth" with the "Sweetest Place on Earth", HersheyPark in Hershey, PA.

Why? Both locations are company towns. Not City Centers, not Inland Empires, etc.

Hershey Park has 2 official resorts (Hotel Hershey, Hershey Lodge), and 1 official campground (HersheyPark Camping Resort). Perks are similar (shuttle to the park, extra access to the park the night before your day ticket) but also different.

If you take your car, you pay to park at HersheyPark.
Some offers include discount tickets and breakfasts.
Day guests to the resort go to the famous Spa and dining, however the overlap of that and the park is relatively minimal, as the savings ($15) vs. the hassle (shuttle bus every 30 minutes) isn't beneficial.

Disney, instead of using the standard, did the inverse.
Instead of pulling the park parking for "free" perk, they fronted the charge at the resorts. If you stay at a Deluxe and are visiting a park that's not closest to your resort, you are 95% more likely to drive to that park, since in essence you paid the same amount as just paying to get into the park.
They made day access to the resort parking way too easy and created an incentive to do so for the MK Monorail and Epcot resorts. This adds unnecessary stress to the entire network, and not focused parking to the park lots and their relatively expansive space (latest crush on Epcot Seasonal Festivals excluded).

If all things are equal and you're driving a car there, and paying to park at a resort, you can guarantee that daily park vehicle traffic will significantly increase. Which if you hear some of the "devil's advocate" reasoning is what Disney is trying to minimize.

If they truly want to minimize daily traffic, this is the objective targets to hit:
Remove incentive to drive to park from a resort, i.e. get rid of the "free parking" perk.
Remove incentive to day park at a resort without spending AT THAT Resort for a window no longer than x amount of hours, if exceeded pay a significant hourly rate to exceed preferred parking rates at the parks, and if high enough (3 hours over), 50% higher than the preferred parking daily rate at the nearest park.
Increase the frequency and reliability of on-site transportation to meet or exceed time targets vs. driving. Some of that is using alternate means (gondola / monorail / boat), another would have to be dedicated bus lanes and interchanges to prevent holdups. This also minimizes the amount of vehicles needed for operation (at an inherent infrastructure cost).

I guess it could be. They could have worded it to be clearer. Now that parking page is confusing.

Btw how is a parking fee an amenity? For your choice of choosing our hotel we will allow you to pay us $13-24/day.
I agree it is not an amenity. That is just the tab it is under on the website. But I don't know why they changed the parking page. It was just a guess on my part.

I agree it is not an amenity. That is just the tab it is under on the website. But I don't know why they changed the parking page. It was just a guess on my part.

Wasn’t directed at you. Just trying to laugh at a crappy situation. Amenity? Yeah right.

Look at some of the good neighbor hotels. There are several options that with 60 day fast passes and EMH cost 400-800 less for one week stay(this includes the resort and parking fees) vs onsite at a moderate. They also offer shuttles to the parks.

If people are still staying on property, not driving themselves around - Disney transportation will need to improve greatly - or uber/lyft will be the ones making the money.

NO Good Neighbor Hotels get EMH or 60 day FP+, this has only been extended to the Disney Springs Official Walt Disney World hotels.

Yeah, they have left the page about WDW parking about WDW parking and now each resort's page has the parking fees.

This is the blurb for WL:
Parking
Effective for new reservations made March 21, 2018 and thereafter, standard overnight self-parking is available to registered Guests for a fee of $24 per night. Valet parking is also available for $33 per night. All parking fees include applicable tax.

Complimentary standard self-parking is available while you enjoy select dining, shopping, entertainment, and recreation experiences at this Resort.

Yesterday the linked web page reflected the parking fees. The parking page was changed this afternoon, and the information about self-parking fees was removed.

WOW, they are now trying to hide it on the "amenity" page of the resorts. Hiding it will shock lots of folks who know nothing of this ............. it should be on the room rate page. The "industry standard" is when you open your rate details it will show expected resort and parking fees ...... come on Disney at least man up and put it out there.

And they might want to remove this on front page ....

Resort Hotels

Standard self-parking at Resort hotels is complimentary for Resort Guests.

Some have pointed out the current version of parking page doesn’t say complimentary theme park parking for resort guests.

You are right, nothing on the page says free theme park parking for resort guests.

This would indeed be priceless ..............

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/en_CA/guest-services/parking/

So that raises a question. If they removed the fee to park at your resort but made you pay $10 to park at theme parks how many would be upset with that?

NO Good Neighbor Hotels get EMH or 60 day FP+, this has only been extended to the Disney Springs Official Walt Disney World hotels.

WOW, they are now trying to hide it on the "amenity" page of the resorts. Hiding it will shock lots of folks who know nothing of this ............. it should be on the room rate page. The "industry standard" is when you open your rate details it will show expected resort and parking fees ...... come on Disney at least man up and put it out there.

And they might want to remove this on front page ....

Resort Hotels

You are right, nothing on the page says free theme park parking for resort guests.

This would indeed be priceless ..............

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/en_CA/guest-services/parking/

Regarding the bold, they did change it! It had the fees yesterday and this morning but has since been changed. I have both main page parking tabs (yesterday and today) open on my computer and they are different. I have no idea what is going on.

Regarding the bold, they did change it! It had the fees yesterday and this morning but has since been changed. I have both main page parking tabs (yesterday and today) open on my computer and they are different. I have no idea what is going on.

Right now the website says the bolded on the main page ... earlier it had the actual rates they were charging in the same location. Right now it says free. It may be they opted to change it on that page until March 21st and then will change it back. Unfortunately it is very misleading to those exploring booking. They should have kept the upcoming rate change on that front page for transparency but ......... Disney's method has always been to hide all important things until it's too late to change your trip ... closed food courts, closed pools etc. and now new surprise fees.

Resort Hotels

I would bet a large sum of money that know matter how much we complain they aren’t going to reverse it. They don’t care anymore what we think. If we stop going someone else will take our place.

People say this but I doubt they are at 100% occupancy. Even a drop from 95 to 92 percent occupancy could have a big effect.

I did say SOME of the good neighbor hotels. The list I found with both EMH and 60 day fast passes is : The Disney Spring Resort Area hotels include: B Resort & Spa; Best Western Lake Buena Vista Resort; DoubleTree Guest Suites by Hilton Orlando; Hilton Orlando Lake Buena Vista Palace; Hilton Orlando Resort Lake Buena Vista; Holiday Inn Orlando; Wyndham Lake Buena Vista; and Wyndham Garden Lake Buena Vista.

While I realize it is not every hotel on the good neighbor list offers the EMH and 60 day fast passes - there are several to choose from.

People say this but I doubt they are at 100% occupancy. Even a drop from 95 to 92 percent occupancy could have a big effect.

We can hope. I hope you are right. I’m just going with their recent history. Someone has to pay for ESPN losses.

I did say SOME of the good neighbor hotels. The list I found with both EMH and 60 day fast passes is : The Disney Spring Resort Area hotels include: B Resort & Spa; Best Western Lake Buena Vista Resort; DoubleTree Guest Suites by Hilton Orlando; Hilton Orlando Lake Buena Vista Palace; Hilton Orlando Resort Lake Buena Vista; Holiday Inn Orlando; Wyndham Lake Buena Vista; and Wyndham Garden Lake Buena Vista.

While I realize it is not every hotel on the good neighbor list offers the EMH and 60 day fast passes - there are several to choose from.

The problem is for folks trying to follow along is NONE of these hotels are Good Neighbor Hotels. I don't want someone to actually book a Good Neighbor thinking they will get these perks when they won't. These are two very distinct groupings of hotels.

The hotels you listed are Disney Springs Official Walt Disney World Resort Hotels
http://disneyspringshotels.com/

Disney Good Neighbor Hotels do not get these perks
https://www.wdwgoodneighborhotels.com/

The problem is for folks trying to follow along is NONE of these hotels are Good Neighbor Hotels. I don't want someone to actually book a Good Neighbor thinking they will get these perks when they won't. These are two very distinct groupings of hotels.

The hotels you listed are Disney Springs Official Walt Disney World Resort Hotels
http://disneyspringshotels.com/

Disney Good Neighbor Hotels do not get these perks
https://www.wdwgoodneighborhotels.com/

Gotcha! I found them on listed on a page as good neighbor and didn't realize the difference until now.

If their occupancy rates were so good, WDW wouldn't have been using blind booking sites for all of 2017-present, just sayin...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter