Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

There are different permutations of bus routes, notably including resorts sharing buses, that can be used to adjust to the proportion of guests wishing to ride buses or wishing to ride the Skyliner. There will still be a sudden need for more buses if the Skyliner should experience a sudden shutdown.

Supposedly the rapid charging characteristics of the gondola batteries have already been tested in a laboratory. The charging circuit in the gondola station overhead rail would work the same way as (have the same voltage as) as the charger used in the lab. So there should be no surprises with battery overheating or failure.

Last edited:
Testing batteries in a lab environment, even attempting to duplicate environmental conditions, is not the same as in-situ testing. It's not the voltage that is deterministic in rapid charging, but the C-rate the battery/cells/pack can safely absorb.

There are other factors, such as vibration, causing soft shorts via a separator malfunction between the anode and cathode. So while a lab may try to mimic these conditions, the actual data collected in these trial runs with allow them to evaluate and possibly modify the BMS, heat sinks and charge/discharge windows.

Testing batteries in a lab environment, even attempting to duplicate environmental conditions, is not the same as in-situ testing. It's not the voltage that is deterministic in rapid charging, but the C-rate the battery/cells/pack can safely absorb.

There are other factors, such as vibration, causing soft shorts via a separator malfunction between the anode and cathode. So while a lab may try to mimic these conditions, the actual data collected in these trial runs with allow them to evaluate and possibly modify the BMS, heat sinks and charge/discharge windows.
The Skyliner is not the first to have this sort of battery system at all. I rode on a system earlier this year with one and it even ran outside lights as well as inside ones.

The Skyliner is not the first to have this sort of battery system at all. I rode on a system earlier this year with one and it even ran outside lights as well as inside ones.

i have no doubt that this isn't 100% unique, but my point is that you have to test, gather the data and then modify the BMS/design accordingly.

I’m on my phone on vacay so it looks different. Don’t normally see you as the Rumors and News Moderator but it could just be because I’m used to a different screen layout. 🙃

Staying at Pop next weekend. Wondering if we will get lucky!

Not going to happen based on what I have seen at CBR, DHS, and Epcot. They still have work to do. I definitely think it will be a phased opening with Rivera and Epcot opening last.

I’m on my phone on vacay so it looks different. Don’t normally see you as the Rumors and News Moderator but it could just be because I’m used to a different screen layout. 🙃
I see what you mean. On my iPad I seem to remember it just saying “Moderator” in the past instead of “Rumors and News Moderator”

I see what you mean. On my iPad I seem to remember it just saying “Moderator” in the past instead of “Rumors and News Moderator”
3ABA0780-C6A8-456C-91B7-5429006E0375.jpeg

The Rumors and News tag is part of the tagline that you can change. Yours currently says Earning My Ears. I’ve had my tag set to that for years now.

This is why I love these forums. You guys just know so much about the ins and outs of what's going on in the bubble..

:)

The way I see it, if they make an extra $40-50m a year against an initial outlay of $230-300m, for a transportation system that adds so much energy to the area and gets people excited, as well as making them money after 5-8 years..... they'll be more than happy with it. Maybe enough to expand the network....

Add another $5-10m a year in transportation costs saved with how much cheaper the Skyliner is to run over bus service.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter