Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

I still have my mickey bar bet that there will be no change in the frequency and numbers of buses they have now...on a normal day :). Yes mid day has fewer buses, but the rest should stay as is.
So far there has been nothing but rumors and speculation about reducing buses ..nothing official from WDW except adding the Skyliner to the modes of transportation on MDE along with the buses.
When the Skyliner starts running it will take a lot of the load demand off the buses. They will load and unload a lot quicker and not be packed in like they do which takes extra time as they wait for more people to walk up, so they leave quicker and the time for the route will be a lot quicker.
At peak times they normally call extra buses from wherever to get the crowds to or from the parks/resorts. The Skyliner will reduce the passengers for the buses and make them way more efficient where they won't need more buses "at peak times" ....except during the storms.

It just doesn't make business sense to be to not cut back on buses in some way when the Skyliner is carrying even 50% of the people who were riding the bus routes. Maybe they will end up combining some of the routes.

Their current system has worked great for inclement weather for the Boardwalk area. I believe that it’s mostly rerouting buses from elsewhere. It could be part of why buses may only be reduced and not eliminated entirely for those routes.

Quick question, what do you mean by this? If the boats shut down (they did again 2 days ago in a storm), IG is a walk only. Although that is at least an option for the BW area resorts, unlike the Skyliner resorts.

It could be part of why buses may only be reduced and not eliminated entirely for those routes.

That's why I was questioning a complete elimination as the original plan; I just couldn't see that as anything but a logistical nightmare.

Their current system has worked great for inclement weather for the Boardwalk area. I believe that it’s mostly rerouting buses from elsewhere. It could be part of why buses may only be reduced and not eliminated entirely for those routes.
Actually, not so great. There are plenty of posts about waiting a half hour or longer for bus service to start up when the Friendship Boats were shut down for weather. Also general confusion among cm's, getting wrong info, signage not being deployed, etc. As a former driver, I saw many times when the dept. running the boats failed to notify Buses that the boats were down, and nobody in Buses noticed it for a while.

I think Disney will need to up their game in dealing with the large number of Guests now potentially affected by bustitution, and the physical separation between Skyliner & buses at Epcot.

You forgot to bold the approximately part. :)
:duck:Yes, almost everybody here knows it is approximate based on how busy it gets "nothing new"...been that way in the 20 + years I've been going.
It is one of the perks and benefits promoted to stay on property as stated in MDE and should be expected as long as it's on the main transportation page when booking.
Until they change it to something like they have done for the Monorail "as seen below" it should continue as is ..sometimes late or really late or not at all..
Resort Monorail

Getting around Walt Disney World Resort is a breeze on the world-famous monorail, the “public transport of the future.”

Learn about Upcoming Monorail Schedule Modifications
Monorails may be operating with modified service and routes. During your upcoming visit, please check first with a Cast Member to be sure that monorail transportation is the best possible option for you, as there are many other transportation options available!

Quick question, what do you mean by this? If the boats shut down (they did again 2 days ago in a storm), IG is a walk only. Although that is at least an option for the BW area resorts, unlike the Skyliner resorts.

I was referring to Boardwalk area hotel bus service for Epcot and MGM. When the boats shut down, there’s a bus to the front of the park at Epcot.

Those were two separate thoughts. One about bus impact and another about International Gateway impact.

Actually, not so great. There are plenty of posts about waiting a half hour or longer for bus service to start up when the Friendship Boats were shut down for weather. Also general confusion among cm's, getting wrong info, signage not being deployed, etc. As a former driver, I saw many times when the dept. running the boats failed to notify Buses that the boats were down, and nobody in Buses noticed it for a while.

I think Disney will need to up their game in dealing with the large number of Guests now potentially affected by bustitution, and the physical separation between Skyliner & buses at Epcot.

Alright perhaps great was a bit too complementing for the bus service. Not perfect but mostly acceptable in my experience. In general, I’ve waited no more than the average time during storm. There are still times I’ve waited over an hour both during storms and not. I do think that the buses have become less reliable in the past few years.

Those were two separate thoughts. One about bus impact and another about International Gateway impact.

Ah I see thanks. Yea IG will have even more challenges soon.

Kind of surprised they never put in a gated service road from Epcot resorts Blvd(beach club), to the epcot bus depot.

Kind of surprised they never put in a gated service road from Epcot resorts Blvd(beach club), to the epcot bus depot.
There is a connection between the backstage circle road (Avenue of the Stars) and the bus lot. In aerials as recent as last year, there was an unfinished gap and a bunch of unidentifiable stuff scattered about, but in a recent aerial from @bioreconstruct it appears complete and cleared (and maybe even paved.)

With some minor alterations, they could load Guests behind the IG Guest Relations/gift shop and drive them to the bus depot. But they'd be traveling through a very unsightly backstage area.
Epcot road.jpg

Last edited:
There is a connection between the backstage circle road (Avenue of the Stars) and the bus lot. In aerials as recent as last year, there was an unfinished gap and a bunch of unidentifiable stuff scattered about, but in a recent aerial from @bioreconstruct it appears complete and cleared (and maybe even paved.)

With some minor alterations, they could load Guests behind the IG Guest Relations/gift shop and drive them to the bus depot. But they'd be traveling through a very unsightly backstage area.
View attachment 413496
I loved seeing the "unsightly backstage areas" when WDW had the direct park-to-park bus service. Thanks for posting the photo. Very interesting.

New Video - he goes over how the power supply functions:

And this is where I think they are measuring the battery pack temperatures with keen eyes. Rapid charging in the station(s) needs to be carefully monitored and controlled as to not experience a thermal runaway.

I like the idea of each gondola having a theme/music corresponding to the exterior.

I hear the heat’s really bad in Orlando at the moment. It would be a good day to test them to see how comfortable they are in this heat.

I hear the heat’s really bad in Orlando at the moment. It would be a good day to test them to see how comfortable they are in this heat.

Yes...for the first time in ~9 years, they issued a heat advisory for today and likely tomorrow. With that being said, I agree this is the condition you want to collect data.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter