Disney Transportation has gone down hill

I recognize that there are disabilities that people can't see, but it seems that the number of scooters has increased drastically.

I'm just going to be blunt about it. The usage seems to have ballooned due to America's obesity epidemic and overweight/out of shape people who are simply physically unable or just unwilling to do the walking required at Disney parks.

And to preempt the inevitable "they might have endocrine problems/unseen disabilities" types of replies... Yes, maybe some of them do, but we all know that America's weight crisis has to do with poor food choices and lack of activity, not because of an exponential increase in glandular problems.

I'm just going to be blunt about it. The usage seems to have ballooned due to America's obesity epidemic and overweight/out of shape people who are simply physically unable or just unwilling to do the walking required at Disney parks.

And to preempt the inevitable "they might have endocrine problems/unseen disabilities" types of replies... Yes, maybe some of them do, but we all know that America's weight crisis has to do with poor food choices and lack of activity, not because of an exponential increase in glandular problems.

Yes. But even people who are overweight deserve to go to WDW. Even if they have to use a scooter to get around.

That's true. ECVs are practically nonexistent at DLP, for example.

I was biting my tongue the whole time, but I do agree that that has been one reason for the increase.

Yes. But even people who are overweight deserve to go to WDW. Even if they have to use a scooter to get around.

I don't disagree. And I didn't say that those people shouldn't be at WDW. I'm simply stating that I believe that the uptick is ECVs is for those reasons. Obviously, in an ideal world people would take more care of their health and not be in a situation to need one.

And it's not like I have been personally immunte to this issue. My grandmother was in one for about the last 15 years of her life - but it was due to her poor life choices. My dad is also overweight and is increasingly having mobility issues as he gets older.

I recently stayed at the Boardwalk 0719 to 07/26 I found the wait times for the buses were consistently long and the buses were overcrowded. It was obvious that it was one bus running a loop not multiple buses. by the end our trip we were walking over to the Contemporary and booking Lyft or Uber. For $10 bucks you are back at the hotel in fifteen minutes instead of waiting over an hour standing on an overcrowded bus. For $500.00 a night I expect some additional service such as convenient transportation. I have been traveling to Walt Disney World for over forty years staying on property and I've never seen such poor transportation schedule. I think they need to stop pushing the Minnie Vans and get more bus drivers. We were jumping on the Swan and Dolphin or Beach and Yacht Club bus instead of waiting. And staying at the Boardwalk your choice to get to DS is walk or take the boat which is shared with BC/YC and Swan and Dolphin and takes forever. I think Disney has forgotten how much people are paying at these hotels. I feel the transportation put a real damper on this trip. Way too much time waiting for transportation.

The best way to see change and be heard is to write Disney. Your points are valid and worded kindly. Tell them.

Is there a rule on how many travelers can board with a scooter rider? I've seen a scooter pull up after we were waiting in the regular line and a whole lot of people board with that scooter. Enough to make others that arrived sooner have to wait for another bus because the bus filled up.

Yes there is, but most bus drivers will not press it because they want to avoid the confrontation. I have seen everything from 1 person to 15 people get on with a person who arrived on an ECV.
I have seen other guests ask the bus driver and they just shrug and grin.

There is a limit of guests permitted to board the bus with a scooter. It's 5 guests and the scooter.

To the people who complain about waiting for a scooter to load, from someone who use s one. I'll gladly trade you the limitations and constant pain I have every day, to be able to stand in line behind you and wait for the bus. (I am losing the function of my arms, both wrists and legs), not because I'm lazy, but because my "cross to bear" includes 10 autoimmune diseases. (My body is literally attacking itself.). Count your BLESSINGS!!!

Two people travel with me, my adult daughter and minor grandchild. I'm trying to create some lasting memories will I can!! Enjoy creating your own special !memories!!!!

I can totally agree with this and feel your heart. I praise God that I do not need one. I have a host of auto-immune diseases (one in particular that destroys my immune system and causes chronic infections) as well as a neurological disorder. I am thankful I can still work standing on my own two feet and walk around the park(s) all day. I do not look forward to the day when that changes. Huge hugs! I pray you are able to enjoy many, many more trips.

And for the record, nobody would look at me and see anything, other than perhaps the neurological tremors. For that reason, I try not to assume that anybody needs an ECV or not. Nobody would guess that I spend much of my life sick or in pain. ;)

Last edited:
Here's some news: Obese people don't love being obese. They're likely just as self-conscious about 1) having to use a scooter 2) getting loaded onto the bus first. Let's not make villains out of people.

I'm not obese, but I actually hate getting on the bus first. Why? All the people waiting in the regular bus line, glaring at me, trying to figure out if I "need" the scooter. I'm not talking about children who are naturally curious, but all the adults!! Please stop judging. (As I stated previously, I'll gladly trade with any one of you.)

The tone of your words sounds different to different people. It has nothing to do with comprehension.

I stated that I had two family members with mobility issues. It has everything to do with comprehension. There was simply nothing in what I wrote in either post that was trying to vilify people who use electric mobility scooters. Sometimes people are in such a hurry to be offended by something that they don't actually read what was written.

And staying at the Boardwalk your choice to get to DS is walk or take the boat which is shared with BC/YC and Swan and Dolphin and takes forever.
This is not new. And people complaining about the buses at WDW is also not new.

Regarding boat transportation, are you saying you think there should be individual boats going from each Epcot resort to the parks? Do you have an idea of how much boat traffic there would be at the docks and in the waterways? If you want to go direct to HS from Epcot resort area then walk over to S&D. S&D is last stop before HS. Coming back get off at S&D as well.

DHS > Swan/Dolphin > Beach/Yacht Club > Boardwalk > Epcot > Boardwalk > Beach/Yacht Club > Swan/Dolphin > DHS

You went during a very busy time and buses can be crowded. Did you use your MDE app to track buses so you're not arriving at the bus stop right after a bus left? The deluxe resorts are no more deserving of better transportation than the value resorts. The $500/night gets you a nicer resort with nicer resort amenities and generally walking distance to at least one resort (exceptions AK & GF). At Boardwalk, you get two resorts within walking distance.

Last edited:
I remember our first couple of trips to WDW (late 90s, early 00s). The buses were great. I loved being able to not worry about the car, etc... or getting a rental.. But sometime in between then and now, things changed and not for the best. The buses are just too crowded and therefore often late in arriving. I can't remember the last time i actually got to sit down because of the number of occupants. We rarely take the busses now. We simply drive to every park except MK. We still take the busses to MK just because the transportation (monorail) from the ticket/parking station to the park again is so overcrowded.. ugh.

I don't know how they fix this vs adding more buses. Of course, the new Gandola should alleviate some of the pressure on the transportation system but its so over crowded now that i fear it will take a heck of a lot more than a sky liner that only supports a couple parks and a few resorts.

Wow this thread went off the rails for a while.

I can only think of one time where we had an awful transportation experience (coming back from epcot, the bus to POFQ never came). You can bet our first stop was the front desk at the hotel, got a paper anytime fast pass for our troubles.

I just view the transportation as "free"....well included in my price tag. It's not like I expect anything beyond get me from point A to point B.

I stated that I had two family members with mobility issues. It has everything to do with comprehension.
I read that a couple of times. May not be your intent, but it sounded critical of your family members.
The buses are just too crowded and therefore often late in arriving.
Not a valid cause and effect. Being (even too) crowded doesn't throw them off schedule.
Of course, the new Gandola should alleviate some of the pressure on the transportation system but its so over crowded now that i fear it will take a heck of a lot more than a sky liner that only supports a couple parks and a few resorts.
buses move maybe 200 people per hour. Gondola are expected to move (maybe a lot?) more than 1,000 in that same time frame - from four properties with about a third of the total number of onsite rooms, to 50% of the parks.

Last edited:
I stated that I had two family members with mobility issues. It has everything to do with comprehension. There was simply nothing in what I wrote in either post that was trying to vilify people who use electric mobility scooters. Sometimes people are in such a hurry to be offended by something that they don't actually read what was written.

You didn't add that until your second post.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter