Disneyland Hotel changed our 2 Queen to a King?

Kart1222

Earning My Ears
Hey everyone!

My friend and I splurged on a standard 2 Queen bedroom at the Disneyland hotel and when we arrived we were told that we had to move to a King because of availability, even though my booking and receipt state that we have a 2 Queen. I asked if they could provide a trundle bed and the staff also inferred that they don't have those. Has anyone else run into this issue before? It's just a bit awkward because we don't know each other at the bed sharing level, lol .
Thank you in advance! :)

Last edited:
They tried this on us once and we were a 3 person family. We told them it was unacceptable as we could not all sleep in the same bed and asked for a manager. They found us another room. Tell them you are not family members and not related and expect to sleep in separate beds and ask for a manager. Always remain calm and polite- it will get your farther.

Hey everyone!

My friend and I splurged on a standard 2 Queen bedroom at the Disneyland hotel and when we arrived we were told that we had to move to a King because of availability, even though my booking and receipt state that we have a 2 Queen. I asked if they could provide a trundle bed and the staff also inferred that they don't have those. Has anyone else run into this issue before? It's just a bit awkward because we don't know each other at the bed sharing level, lol .
Thank you in advance! :)
Concur on politely but firmly asking for a manager since they confirmed you into 2 queens. I find it hard to believe they don’t have a 2 Q room in all of DLH, GCH or PP.

I’m surprised you were confirmed 2 Q’s. I thought DLH just said you’ll get one of the following.

Disney is very careful not to promise bed types. I noticed booking directly they only say "1 King Bed or 2 Queen Beds".... you can not even select the actual bed layout, as you can with mostly all other major hotel chains.

Did you book through 3rd party / travel agency? Was just curious how your confirmation said 2 Queens 100% guaranteed. I'm not defending Disney, as I agree with your point and others; you should never be forced to share a bed just because two random adults can fit in 1 king.

From Disneyland.com -

Here's an example of how Hilton Anaheim lists their rooms, notice it's by bed type, not only "category/view" -

Last edited:
How many adults are on the reservation? That is one way to sway what room type that you will get. If you want a daybed, best chances are to put 5 adults on your reservation. If you only had 2 adults...that is likely why you got swapped to a king.

The primary reason they do not guarantee room types is the convention and business clientele. They typically book later than the resort travelers and the King rooms are held for those room blocks since they are most valued for the business travelers...if there is no events business needed those rooms they will put resort traveler in those pending availability.

If you booked though a third party site...all bets are off and you get whatever you get and they will take care of the direct book customers first. That is true for any hotel.

They tried this with BFF and I at the DLH, too. At check in the CM said "You won't mind sharing a bed, I'm sure". We looked at each other and both said in no uncertain terms "No, we won't be sharing a bed! We aren't sisters nor are we a 'couple'". The CM made a little moue but tapped on the computer to change it back to 2 queens. Interestingly, we've never had this happen at the Grand.

I think unfortunately if you've already 'accepted' the king room it's going to be harder to change it back. But give a call to the desk or better yet go down to reception and keep asking to be bumped up the 'chain of command'. As a PP said, stress that you are not related and do not wish to share a bed. If they question why you took your bags up, tell them that you were too startled at check in to say anything.

At check in the CM said "You won't mind sharing a bed, I'm sure"
Working in hospitality that is a shame and honestly embarrassing to hear they made that type of comment. Glad the hotel chain I work for stresses to never make assumptions about guests, or what they would/wouldn't like especially when it comes to sleeping arrangements.

There's other ways of asking or suggesting room type changes in oversold situations.

Working in hospitality that is a shame and honestly embarrassing to hear they made that type of comment. Glad the hotel chain I work for stresses to never make assumptions about guests, or what they would/wouldn't like especially when it comes to sleeping arrangements.

We were both really, really startled, not just at her assumption, but at her reaction to our refusal. We didn't take it to mean that she was implying we were gay and wouldn't have been offended if she thought we were, it was more that she was trying to make it seem as if a refusal to 'go along' with sharing a bed was being 'uncooperative' or making 'hard work' for her or something.

Her reaction just about got her a "We don't appreciate your attitude, and would like to speak to your manager, please". She picked on the wrong gals to pull 'attitude' with! But we didn't want to start our trip off on a sour note, so we let it go.

I agree with others. Make it clear that you are not related and there is no way you can share a bed. Perhaps ask about being moved to GCH or PP. Hopefully once they understand the issue they will try to get you a better room. Not sure if they would even do this, but maybe you could get a second room at a discount? (If they insist that they don't have a 2 queen room.) Also as someone else mentioned maybe you could get into a room with a daybed.

This is one of the things that has made me hesitate to book at the resort hotels. Every other hotel I've ever gone to lets you choose the room and beds. Luckily when we've stayed at DLH we've been given the right amount of beds, but as someone else said they specifically say you could get a king OR 2 queens. That's why we booked a suite this time. No matter which configuration we get, we will have enough beds.

I may be 'mis-remembering', but aren't the daybeds in the hotels 'child-size'?

Edit; (From plandisney.disney.go dated 7/2019). "The daybeds measure 29" x 67" long, which is slightly smaller than a standard twin mattress measuring 38" by 75".

That's pretty puny IMO for a grown adult. Barely wider than a standard CRIB mattress which is typically 28" wide. I'm only 65" tall and I'm sure I'd be miserable.

Last edited:
I may be 'mis-remembering', but aren't the daybeds in the hotels 'child-size'?

Edit; (From plandisney.disney.go dated 7/2019). "The daybeds measure 29" x 67" long, which is slightly smaller than a standard twin mattress measuring 38" by 75".

That's pretty puny IMO for a grown adult. Barely wider than a standard CRIB mattress which is typically 28" wide. I'm only 65" tall and I'm sure I'd be miserable.

That is the old daybeds. The current "day beds" post remodel are now an actual twin size mattress on a fold down couch. There were 300 rooms with those (at least as of when they completed the remodel)

Disney is very careful not to promise bed types. I noticed booking directly they only say "1 King Bed or 2 Queen Beds".... you can not even select the actual bed layout, as you can with mostly all other major hotel chains.

Did you book through 3rd party / travel agency? Was just curious how your confirmation said 2 Queens 100% guaranteed. I'm not defending Disney, as I agree with your point and others; you should never be forced to share a bed just because two random adults can fit in 1 king.

From Disneyland.com -
View attachment 635287

Here's an example of how Hilton Anaheim lists their rooms, notice it's by bed type, not only "category/view" -

View attachment 635298

It confirms it on our Disneyland app, so I guess I just assumed 🤷‍♀️ I booked directly through Disney

Yep, it's $20 to $30 per guest depending on hotel above two guests.
It is? I don't think I've ever been charged more when there are 4 of us than when there are 2. I've also added a 3rd person to the reservation after initial booking and not had to pay more. I just did that in December for one night. I did have to pay for 1 night of parking because the friend who joined us had a car, but that's it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter