Disneyland Hotel changed our 2 Queen to a King?

Good point! I knew they had not used Magic Bands in the past, I thought they were starting at some point soon. Though I did not realize you could not use MDE or some type of app on a phone for unlocking the hotel room door! I've not been to DL in almost 20 years!

I mean, you can NOW, like as in SUPER RECENTLY they added phone unlocking capability to the Disneyland resorts, or it might just be the DLH right now. (I might be completely wrong about this though) Not sure, but our last stay July 2021 we definitely all needed key cards and there is currently still a requirement to stop by the front desk and physically check in.

There is still no MDE equivalent at Disneyland, although they did announce Magic Bands would be coming this year, but would be integrated into the same Disneyland app that is available now. These bands will presumably simply replace a phone or tickets to scan into rides for Genie+/LL access, and may also allow tap to pay, although not completely sure on that one. We still have old school entrance gates that require cast members to scan admission media barcodes, which they now do via handheld mobile scanners. We don't have tap styles like at WDW.

Same. I’m also tall and would rather not have my feet dangle off the bed.

Don’t get me wrong, I love I love Lucy as much as the next guy, but we have different tastes in interior design.

A queen and a king are the same length. Do you sleep diagonally?

When traveling for business, I too prefer a King, since it usually leaves more space in the room. But, what I care most about, is that the hotel gives me whatever configuration I booked.

They JUST started using the phone as a key card, but only if the email you used when making the reservation matches up to your APP email. And then only THAT app can access the door (ie since my kids each have their own, they can't open the door.....

We use phones for the Disneyland app to use LL and stuff.

We specifically booked a HOTEL room and not DVC at Aulani, since that was the most sure way to get two beds. Brother and sister - NOT gonna share a bed or pay $600 per night to decide which adult has to sleep on a couch bed lol. It's Not even like a cruise, where someone makes up the bed daily, and then puts it away for you.

Last edited:
I mean, you can NOW, like as in SUPER RECENTLY they added phone unlocking capability to the Disneyland resorts, or it might just be the DLH right now. (I might be completely wrong about this though) Not sure, but our last stay July 2021 we definitely all needed key cards and there is currently still a requirement to stop by the front desk and physically check in.

There is still no MDE equivalent at Disneyland, although they did announce Magic Bands would be coming this year, but would be integrated into the same Disneyland app that is available now. These bands will presumably simply replace a phone or tickets to scan into rides for Genie+/LL access, and may also allow tap to pay, although not completely sure on that one. We still have old school entrance gates that require cast members to scan admission media barcodes, which they now do via handheld mobile scanners. We don't have tap styles like at WDW.
Appreciate the info! I am considering a DL trip instead of a WDW one this year, or maybe in addition to! Thank you!

They JUST started using the phone as a key card, but only if the email you used when making the reservation matches up to your APP email. And then only THAT app can access the door (ie since my kids each have their own, they can't open the door.....

We use phones for the Disneyland app to use LL and stuff.

My kids and husband all have the DL app on their phones, but logged in under my account just to make things easier. This way when we mobile order, or whatever, everyone gets the notification when it's ready (we split up often for meals). And everyone can make a new DAS selection and redeem them, not just me.

Correct. 18 and up is considered an adult. There has always been an additional charge for a third or fourth person over 18 at WDW (no idea about DL). Two 17 year olds, no charge. Two 18 year olds, additional charge(s).
So your kids are always under 18! :rotfl:

When traveling for business, I too prefer a King, since it usually leaves more space in the room. But, what I care most about, is that the hotel gives me whatever configuration I booked.

He's probably talking about a California King.

He's probably talking about a California King.

But the context in this thread was whether Disney should just have only queens in their rooms (so people aren't forced into a King when they booked queens). I don't know of any Disney hotel that offers California kings, so being tall shouldn't be a consideration as to whether that is a good idea.

You just blew my mind. I assumed both kings had extra length, but a quick google just showed it’s only Cal Kings. I guess I sleep diagonally in hotel beds? Maybe that’s why my wife says she can’t sleep in hotel beds 🤣😂

Depends what kind of king they have, some are California kings, which are longer. I am tall, 1st choice is Cal King like we are used to sleeping on at home, 2nd choice is eastern king so we can at least have more room diagonally. We are slim people but prefer the space

I guess I sleep diagonally in hotel beds? Maybe that’s why my wife says she can’t sleep in hotel beds 🤣😂

This just gave me a huge laugh, and brought up a funny memory I had nearly forgotten. First time sharing a bed with my husband, it was REALLY clear he'd been single for 10 years. He slept diagonally across the bed and added in "starfish" arms, relegating me to a teeny tiny little corner of the mattress. After many years I've been able to lay claim to my 42% of the bed at home. .... But once we get to a hotel bed, Starfish Sleeper mode is activated. Seriously no idea how/why it happens, but I do NOT want to share my bed with a starfish sleeper, ESPECIALLY on vacation! 😂

It confirms it on our Disneyland app, so I guess I just assumed 🤷‍♀️ I booked directly through Disney
The app will show what the system "thinks" you will be assigned at check in, once you make the reservation. I have asked them about this when it has differed from what we actually are given at check in or differs from what we actually want at the time of booking, and they say that it is NOT a guarantee of that bedding type. Nothing is guaranteed for bedding at Disney (except I think enough beds for all people listed, though I think there used to be some exception where you might be given a sleeping bag, but maybe that was at WDW??). So take what the app shows you with a grain of salt. It is often changed for reasons that Disney needs it to change, operationally.

We almost always stay at the GCH. We have two teens (both girls). We sleep in a King at home since we are both tall and need some space. We always request the King with day bed and sleeper chair. We have received it 1-2 times out of 15 or so trips. We usually are assigned the 2 queens with a day bed, which we can make work, but it is not great (I think this is the most common configuration in the hotel). We have gotten 2 queens only before, and that is even worse. I often wonder if our kids were different genders from each other (boy and girl), would they give us 2 queens only or not?

I personally think not being able to select, reserve and pay for the bedding you want is the worst part about staying at the DLR hotels. Much less expensive hotels manage to allow this, and they function every day of the year. Disney is lazy and expects its guests to just "take whatever you get and be happy". It seems to be working since the hotels stay pretty full.... I think the front desk CMs would much prefer the guests booking what they want and then getting it (with few exceptions for emergencies as the OP above stated) at check in.

I agree with OPs that I would walk to the desk (calling gets you a call center person, not the real front desk) and explain that you are not related and can't share beds. Stand there nicely until someone fixes this unreasonable situation.

The app will show what the system "thinks" you will be assigned at check in, once you make the reservation. I have asked them about this when it has differed from what we actually are given at check in or differs from what we actually want at the time of booking, and they say that it is NOT a guarantee of that bedding type. Nothing is guaranteed for bedding at Disney (except I think enough beds for all people listed, though I think there used to be some exception where you might be given a sleeping bag, but maybe that was at WDW??). So take what the app shows you with a grain of salt. It is often changed for reasons that Disney needs it to change, operationally.

We almost always stay at the GCH. We have two teens (both girls). We sleep in a King at home since we are both tall and need some space. We always request the King with day bed and sleeper chair. We have received it 1-2 times out of 15 or so trips. We usually are assigned the 2 queens with a day bed, which we can make work, but it is not great (I think this is the most common configuration in the hotel). We have gotten 2 queens only before, and that is even worse. I often wonder if our kids were different genders from each other (boy and girl), would they give us 2 queens only or not?

I personally think not being able to select, reserve and pay for the bedding you want is the worst part about staying at the DLR hotels. Much less expensive hotels manage to allow this, and they function every day of the year. Disney is lazy and expects its guests to just "take whatever you get and be happy". It seems to be working since the hotels stay pretty full.... I think the front desk CMs would much prefer the guests booking what they want and then getting it (with few exceptions for emergencies as the OP above stated) at check in.

I agree with OPs that I would walk to the desk (calling gets you a call center person, not the real front desk) and explain that you are not related and can't share beds. Stand there nicely until someone fixes this unreasonable situation.

I think they'd probably expect the parent and child of the same sex to sleep in the same bed, so Mom & daughter, Father & son.

I would like them not to have to figure it out. Why not just let the Guest choose their desired bedding at the time of reservation and be done with all of this craziness?? Like literally every other hotel chain.

I totally agree. There must be some reason why they don't. Maybe not a good reason to us, but a reason that makes sense to them.

Even if they did it with parties of two or more. I can see them not wanting a 'solo' guest reserving a 2 queen room when they'd be adequately 'housed' with a king room. But for parties of two or more, letting them select is only logical. They could easily put some type of alert on the system to raise a flag to guest services if the configuration doesn't seem to 'fit' (ie a party of 4 adults requesting a king room). But if a party of two reserve a 2 queen room, GS needs to assume they have a good reason for it.

I totally agree with this. It's so ridiculous, and stressful for a planner like me. I like to know what to expect, especially with something as basic as the bed configuration. It was easier when my kids were littles because we could share, but now they are teen/preteen, very tall and definitely do not want to share a bed with anyone.

I am curious about why they do this, when every other hotel I have ever heard of lets you choose ahead of time. I don't have to walk into a Hyatt crossing my fingers that we will have enough beds.

I LOVE staying at DLH, but this system they have has made me pass them up more than once. This time we booked a 2 bedroom suite so we'll have enough beds no matter what room we are given.

I think you are right, too, that CMs would like it if people could chose ahead of time. I bet they get asked about changing beds/rooms multiple times a day.

Last edited:
I *think* it has to do with they also outsource booking of rooms with Expedia and Get Away Today (and others.) And the conferences. I know I can book "specific" rooms at Hilton but they also have fine print about not necessarily getting that bedding. I just list 5 people on our reservations. Makes my life easier. But, it also can mean there may not be rooms available. There are times it will only accept reservations when I put in 4.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter