Disneyland Hotel changed our 2 Queen to a King?

Negative at Disneyland Resort Hotels. Each room has a maximum capacity of 5 guests and rate is the same if you have one guest or five guests on the reservation.
Explain why the price goes up when I select more than 2 adults then? Confirmed on Disney website and by phone it is extra charge for 3+ adults.

I'm just going by their site. 🤷‍♂️ Maybe no charge for extra children/minors.

Last edited:
Hey everyone!

My friend and I splurged on a standard 2 Queen bedroom at the Disneyland hotel and when we arrived we were told that we had to move to a King because of availability, even though my booking and receipt state that we have a 2 Queen. I asked if they could provide a trundle bed and the staff also inferred that they don't have those. Has anyone else run into this issue before? It's just a bit awkward because we don't know each other at the bed sharing level, lol .
Thank you in advance! :)

Yes. Had this happen with my wife and me this summer (when the hotel wasn't even close to fully occupied). For better sleeping, we sleep in separate beds. Our booking was two queens and they gave us a king and absolutely refused to change it. Although I didn't take it out on hotel staff (not my style), and sucked it up for the sake of having a good experience, I was actually really mad and it left a bitter taste in my mouth for Disney.

You simply expect better service when paying that kind of money for a hotel room. You are already paying a steep premium for the brand name versus the quality of the room and facilities. One of the reasons for paying the premium is the level of service you expect. Disney is no longer meeting that level of service. They don't even look at requests when assigning rooms as far as I can tell, because out of the last four stays, not a single request was honored (even during very slow times), and with one exception from an stellar cast member, they wouldn't make any serious effort at check in to try an honor it. But it's one thing not to put us in the tower we requested for disability reasons, it's another thing entirely to not give you the room you actually booked. I travel extensively for work and pleasure and have never experienced this at another hotel.

If we do go back in a few years (taking a long break from Disney since we think we can have far superior experiences for the same cost elsewhere right now), I will book two fake minors in our room so it appears we have four people staying with us and they won't do this switch. I still can't believe they think it is ok to do that. What if it has been my sister on my reservation and not my wife? Disney has way too much of a "you will like us no matter what we do" attitude for me these days.

Edit: For those saying you can't pick King or Queen - you actually can once you enter your party. My booking was very clearly for two queens, and you could see that clearly when reviewing the reservation on their website (they dropped that part in the email confirmation - likely intentionally).

Last edited:
Explain why the price goes up when I select more than 2 guests then? Confirmed on Disney website and by phone it is extra charge for 3+ guests.

I don't care if you don't believe me, I'm just going by their site. Of course if you only say 2 guests and more join in room they can't really control that. 🤷‍♂️

If the children are minors, prices are exactly the same. They only go up if the are adults. Two screen shots to prove it:

I also clicked through for totals - and as long as you aren't buying tickets, of course, the price is exactly the same.

If you put two kids in your room - they can't expect you to share a bed. At least not reasonably. For us, they just assumed it would be ok because it was my wife and me - but again, how did they know it wasn't my sister? Very unprofessional.

Last edited:
Oh dear, we are booked at The Grand in April. It's me and my 19 yr old son. I am NOT sleeping in a bed for 4 nights with a 19 year old.:sad2:

I took a cruise with my dad for his birthday (we're the only two who would get on a boat). My family has no problem sharing rooms so we only booked one stateroom but requested two beds. We have the same last name...... not only were our beds put together as one (they changed it after we brought it to the room attendant's attention) but somehow I spent the ENTIRE cruise explaining to people we were not married. Ewwwww!

Luckily he had a dry and dark sense of humor and I inherited it. LOLOLOLOLOL

Oh dear, we are booked at The Grand in April. It's me and my 19 yr old son. I am NOT sleeping in a bed for 4 nights with a 19 year old.:sad2:

If I were you, I'd call now and have a note put on your reservation stating that the other person in the room is your adult son and that bed sharing is NOT acceptable. I'd also call the front desk directly (not the reservation center) 24-48 hours ahead of check in to reiterate it. Then, depending on when you expect to check in (we normally check in around 6am), I'd call the desk again early that morning to see what room configuration you've been assigned. Get the name of the CM you spoke to once you are satisfied. Ask to be bumped up the line if you are not. May be overkill, but better safe than sorry.

FWIW, I've never had a 'bed switch' happen at the Grand, either with BFF or my (adult) son.

I always assumed they would check. It's nice if they don't.

They really don't care unless they're over 18, so they can charge you. The extra perk of doing this is you will get more towels. They will ask how many keys you want, which is the only way they "check." I always check in alone at the desk while my husband and kids park the car. They never ask me about the kids.

I ALWAYS ask for 6 keys. Each girl gets one, I have 2, and there is the extra when someone can't find theirs right away.

Honestly the king beds are just a waste. Most couples can share a queen bed if they desperately want to be in the same bed. If they don’t want to and want the extra room, we’ll two queens would absolutely cover that. Then in literally ALL other cases two beds are more appropriate than one bed. I don’t really understand why hotels have them. Are business travelers really throwing a fit over having a room with two beds instead of one slightly larger bed? Fine, have four rooms out of 300 be king beds and put them in a separate booking category so guests know that the hotel is sold out except for king beds. (Even then I go ballistic wondering WHY they waste rooms on those kings when obviously the whole hotel booked up first *except* the kings.)

I always worry about this as a guy booking the room and usually inviting a female old friend. Often times it’s someone I haven’t seen in ten years but we were good friends in school or something. Good enough friends that they trust I won’t murder them and want to have a fun few days at a theme park together, but absolutely not good enough friends to jump in a bed together… and wow I would worry it would make me look pretty suspicious that I had other intentions of when I check in they only had a king… especially if I check in the night before or hours before them & haven’t been able to resolve the issue by the time they show up. Did the hotel really mess up, or is he expecting more out of this trip?

(I usually am paying since it’s kinda hard to drop something on an old friend out of the blue like “hey, want to spend a thousand bucks or so going to Disney all of the sudden with me? If I’m already booking it I’ve got the room paid for and then it’s just flights and Disney tickets which is a “small” additional charge for the chance to not be solo at Disney and instead have a friend with me.)

Edit: And nothing wrong with inviting the bros to Disney, but I feel entirely odd asking one of my guy friends if he wants to do Disney with me when we’re both mid 30s. Usually I’m down there for Halloween Horror Nights & other Halloween events and just carve out four days or so at Disney, I mean why not? They might be game for Halloween scares but usually not too into devoting multiple days to Disney, lol

I usually just travel as a couple, and I far prefer 1 King bed to 2 Queens. To each their own, I guess.

The interesting part is there are very few king rooms. I don't know the count at the DLH, I know before the refurb the Grand had 39 king rooms.

Explain why the price goes up when I select more than 2 adults then? Confirmed on Disney website and by phone it is extra charge for 3+ adults.

I'm just going by their site. 🤷‍♂️ Maybe no charge for extra children/minors.
Correct. 18 and up is considered an adult. There has always been an additional charge for a third or fourth person over 18 at WDW (no idea about DL). Two 17 year olds, no charge. Two 18 year olds, additional charge(s).

They really don't care unless they're over 18, so they can charge you. The extra perk of doing this is you will get more towels. They will ask how many keys you want, which is the only way they "check." I always check in alone at the desk while my husband and kids park the car. They never ask me about the kids.
And with Magic Bands or MDE on a phone, you don't even need keys - or to even stop by the front desk. Disney won't know if the 2 extra people in the room are over or under 18...

There are no magic bands/MDE at Disneyland.
Good point! I knew they had not used Magic Bands in the past, I thought they were starting at some point soon. Though I did not realize you could not use MDE or some type of app on a phone for unlocking the hotel room door! I've not been to DL in almost 20 years!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter