Disney's Club Level (CL) Information & Questions

At the BW CL last week I watched one very sweet woman give out tips to 2 or 3 of the CL CMs. Not sure of the amount but I did ask her about it. She was coy when she said " I just dropped that money". I was not criticizing her but, like you, I did not want to be the only one who was not tipping. The 3 CMs seemed to readily accept the tips with minimal argument. We are going back there in September and would consider bringing some small gifts for the CMs there who seemed to go "above and beyond".

We have never tipped the CL CM's. However, I understood that they could ,lose their positions for accepting tips? Am I wrong about that?

We are staying Poly CL in September. Does anyone know if individual toiletries are part of the room, or has it been changed over to multi use shampoo/conditioner etc? Also, are robes available?
Hi, we were there this past December and they still had the individual bottles and soap bars. I will be bringing my own shampoo should they ever switch to the wall mounted dispenser.
There were also two bathrobes and two pairs of slippers.

Sorry for getting OT but I'm trying to decide on whether or not CL is "worth it" at the Universal resorts? When we are at WDW we love the CL because we really love the extra space to stretch out and don't feel the need to be in the parks from open to close. However, Universal is new to us, we haven't been in at least 15 years so I think we'll definitely be in the parks more. I'm not sure if we'll really be able to take advantage of the lounge. How are the food choices vs WDW? Can you only get beer and wine from 5-7? Is one resort better for CL ?
I like CL there too. The price difference between non-club and club rooms are slightly less than those at WDW. The real bonus, to me, is the ample supply of free water bottles in the lounge. HR has the smallest lounge out of the three (it possibly has the smallest lounge in the world, but we keep coming back because of its proximity to the parks).
Most people I know seem to like Portofino the most.
Disney CL is a must have for time saving, extra FPs, and additional convenience. Universal CL, to me, is a nice add-on but not a necessity.

Thanks. I'll look into the deluxe king. If we don't get it we'll be fine but it would be super nice to have!

Good luck! Hope you are able to get what you want :goodvibes.

We have never tipped the CL CM's. However, I understood that they could ,lose their positions for accepting tips? Am I wrong about that?

Like you and others, I have read the same thing ;).

Just got the welcome call from DSS :lovestruc:lovestruc:lovestruc! Not sure why our BB CL stay triggered both the card and call, when our CL stay booked the week prior to BB stay did NOT, but such a wonderful call to receive! This isn't our first CL stay, but is the first time we've received the call (and the card)! :-)

Sorry for getting OT but I'm trying to decide on whether or not CL is "worth it" at the Universal resorts? When we are at WDW we love the CL because we really love the extra space to stretch out and don't feel the need to be in the parks from open to close. However, Universal is new to us, we haven't been in at least 15 years so I think we'll definitely be in the parks more. I'm not sure if we'll really be able to take advantage of the lounge. How are the food choices vs WDW? Can you only get beer and wine from 5-7? Is one resort better for CL ?

We've always felt the CL at Universal was well worth the $, maybe more than WDW's CL, but it depends what you want out of CL. At WDW, a plus of CL is that the concierge will help you make ADR's. The US staff will also do that, but dining reservations aren't as hard to obtain at Universal. The US staff, like WDW, sometimes contacts us in advance, but not always.

Otherwise, the US have more of what we want from a CL lounge.
1. The hotels are MUCH closer to the parks, so it is much easier to go to the lounge for food. HRH is a very short walk to both parks, RP is about 5-9minutes, and Porto is a slightly longer walk.
2. You are correct that adult beverages are only offered during appetizer hour, but this is a non-issue for us. I can also add the selection of adult beverages at each is slightly different from WDW's. The HRH hotel offers something they call a raspberry mimosa. It is raspberry juice with sparkling wine and a fresh raspberry. I think Porto focuses on a bigger wine selection, but I think RP is mostly just beer and wine. I'm not sure, but I think HRH might a wider selection of adult beverages, but I've never asked.

3. The lounges at Universal all offer a nice amount of space to relax. Just like WDW, they do get busy during peak hours. For a seat during appetizers, it is good to arrive early. However, it is also easy to take food to your room. What you don't usually get at Universal is a balcony, but the rooms have a place to sit to eat at all 3 hotels. (like a table/desk + chairs)

4. Here's my take on the food:
A. )The only one area where Universal's CL's are quite on par with WDW is that Universal doesn't have the Nespresso machines. I find the coffee decent. On the plus side, the US CL's have a fine selection of Tazo teas.
B. ) One area where the US CL's are better is that they all have bottled water. At HRH it is HRH branded water! At the others it is a more basic brand. Also the soda cans aren't chilled. They offer ice though.
C. ) Appetizers at RP and Porto are slightly more substantial than most WDW CL's, but that's very personal. WDW offerings have varied greatly form visit to visit, while Universal food tends to be more consistent. RP rotates through six different menus. So one night is Italian, the next is Asian, etc. Expect a nice salad, and something like meatballs, bread, cheese.

Porto also seems to rotate through a menu, but I don't know the pattern as well. The RP salad takes the form of something like a salad bar, plus I recall a Mexican rice dish that was delicious. (rice, with veggies and meat- I think). I know there was more, but I don't recall the rest of that they offered.

HRH has the least substantial appetizers of the 3, but location is so close to parks. There is daily cheese, crackers, veggie tray. Then two hot appetizers: buffalo wings + mini empanadas. (also recall fried shrimp) They also maybe have some other kind of cold offering, the 3bean salad is tasty.

Mid-day offerings at all 3 are mostly pre-packaged snacks like oreos, granola bars, and assorted bagged chips/Doritos/Cheetos-type snacks, plus cold drinks. Like WDW they usually have something like lemonade or apple juice plus hot drinks, water, ice.

Desserts are oh, let's see....Porto has the most out, RP tends towards cookies, HRH offerings are all over the map. We've seen strawberry shortcake (real homemade whipped cream, make your own style!), make your own sundaes (with all kinds of candy toppings). On our most recent visit one night the dessert was two trays of dessert at a time. As soon as one tray was empty, it was replenished with something completely different. We saw assorted cookies, mini cupcakes, cake pops, mini fruit tarts and more.

All the Universal CL's are also super about food allergies!
Every morning, they post the menu for the whole day, so you make choices. RP even lets you know menu for the whole week.

The one other thing we notice is that the lounges have slightly different hours than WDW's. I'm not 100%, but I think most open at 7am (when EE starts). In winter, dessert runs later than the parks are open, but in summer dessert tends to end right around park closing. You have to choose between dessert or the PM show... but Universal only has one nightly show.

Oh, one more thing....the RP pool doesn't have a slide. All 3 have hot tubs. The HRH pool has live music in the afternoon. You are allowed to pool hop, and all 3 have poolside food + adult beverages.

Last edited:
Just got the welcome call from DSS :lovestruc:lovestruc:lovestruc! Not sure why our BB CL stay triggered both the card and call, when our CL stay booked the week prior to BB stay did NOT, but such a wonderful call to receive! This isn't our first CL stay, but is the first time we've received the call (and the card)! :-)

Congrats! I've never used DSS for anything, but I agree that it is nice to get the call (as well as the card) :goodvibes.

So...we have done CL at Universal at both Hard Rock and Portofino. With a really picky kid, we ended up buying QS for him both times for dinners (though the HRH has the advantage of really good, reasonably priced kids meals at the pool bar). I have food allergies and found that they were both accommodating, but Portofino actually sent up dishes with full meals (like they do at AKL CL) with meat and veggies, while HRH had some chicken wings under the heat lamp for me in the back. We found it really useful with an AP rate to do CL at Universal since we didn’t have to worry about breakfast or dinner, and we were not at all interested in the dining options around the parks. However, when we stayed at RPR, we had a non-CL room and enjoyed eating at Citywalk for lunch and dinner. Be warned that the lounges are smaller and more chaotic than at WDW, in my experience. You can go on the Universal forum here and see the menus for each resort. They rotate them every four or five days. Hope this helps!

I like CL there too. The price difference between non-club and club rooms are slightly less than those at WDW. The real bonus, to me, is the ample supply of free water bottles in the lounge. HR has the smallest lounge out of the three (it possibly has the smallest lounge in the world, but we keep coming back because of its proximity to the parks).
Most people I know seem to like Portofino the most.
Disney CL is a must have for time saving, extra FPs, and additional convenience. Universal CL, to me, is a nice add-on but not a necessity.

We've always felt the CL at Universal was well worth the $, maybe more than WDW's CL, but it depends what you want out of CL. At WDW, a plus of CL is that the concierge will help you make ADR's. The US staff will also do that, but dining reservations aren't as hard to obtain at Universal. The US staff, like WDW, sometimes contacts us in advance, but not always.

Otherwise, the US have more of what we want from a CL lounge.
1. The hotels are MUCH closer to the parks, so it is much easier to go to the lounge for food. HRH is a very short walk to both parks, RP is about 5-9minutes, and Porto is a slightly longer walk.
2. You are correct that adult beverages are only offered during appetizer hour, but this is a non-issue for us. I can also add the selection of adult beverages at each is slightly different from WDW's. The HRH hotel offers something they call a raspberry mimosa. It is raspberry juice with sparkling wine and a fresh raspberry. I think Porto focuses on a bigger wine selection, but I think RP is mostly just beer and wine. I'm not sure, but I think HRH might a wider selection of adult beverages, but I've never asked.

3. The lounges at Universal all offer a nice amount of space to relax. Just like WDW, they do get busy during peak hours. For a seat during appetizers, it is good to arrive early. However, it is also easy to take food to your room. What you don't usually get at Universal is a balcony, but the rooms have a place to sit to eat at all 3 hotels. (like a table/desk + chairs)

4. Here's my take on the food:
A. )The only one area where Universal's CL's are quite on par with WDW is that Universal doesn't have the Nespresso machines. I find the coffee decent. On the plus side, the US CL's have a fine selection of Tazo teas.
B. ) One area where the US CL's are better is that they all have bottled water. At HRH it is HRH branded water! At the others it is a more basic brand. Also the soda cans aren't chilled. They offer ice though.
C. ) Appetizers at RP and Porto are slightly more substantial than most WDW CL's, but that's very personal. WDW offerings have varied greatly form visit to visit, while Universal food tends to be more consistent. RP rotates through six different menus. So one night is Italian, the next is Asian, etc. Expect a nice salad, and something like meatballs, bread, cheese.

Porto also seems to rotate through a menu, but I don't know the pattern as well. The RP salad takes the form of something like a salad bar, plus I recall a Mexican rice dish that was delicious. (rice, with veggies and meat- I think). I know there was more, but I don't recall the rest of that they offered.

HRH has the least substantial appetizers of the 3, but location is so close to parks. There is daily cheese, crackers, veggie tray. Then two hot appetizers: buffalo wings + mini empanadas. (also recall fried shrimp) They also maybe have some other kind of cold offering, the 3bean salad is tasty.

Mid-day offerings at all 3 are mostly pre-packaged snacks like oreos, granola bars, and assorted bagged chips/Doritos/Cheetos-type snacks, plus cold drinks. Like WDW they usually have something like lemonade or apple juice plus hot drinks, water, ice.

Desserts are oh, let's see....Porto has the most out, RP tends towards cookies, HRH offerings are all over the map. We've seen strawberry shortcake (real homemade whipped cream, make your own style!), make your own sundaes (with all kinds of candy toppings). On our most recent visit one night the dessert was two trays of dessert at a time. As soon as one tray was empty, it was replenished with something completely different. We saw assorted cookies, mini cupcakes, cake pops, mini fruit tarts and more.

All the Universal CL's are also super about food allergies!
Every morning, they post the menu for the whole day, so you make choices. RP even lets you know menu for the whole week.

The one other thing we notice is that the lounges have slightly different hours than WDW's. I'm not 100%, but I think most open at 7am (when EE starts). In winter, dessert runs later than the parks are open, but in summer dessert tends to end right around park closing. You have to choose between dessert or the PM show... but Universal only has one nightly show.

Oh, one more thing....the RP pool doesn't have a slide. All 3 have hot tubs. The HRH pool has live music in the afternoon. You are allowed to pool hop, and all 3 have poolside food + adult beverages.

Wow...thanks guys! We definitely have a lot to discuss and figure out. We're not going for another 11 months but I wanted to go ahead and get something booked. It seems the hotels all have their pros and cons just like the WDW hotels and everyone has their favorite.

The flavor of each Universal is also something to be appreciated.
RP - reminds me a bit of Poly. I love all the orchids and the pretty courtyard. Of the three though, and maybe this is just us, we've had a few issues with the service at the front desk. I think it is something about the management. Sometimes our room was ready by check-in, sometimes our room isn't serviced. In general, US hotels get serviced rather late in the day. CL staff has always been super, and CL food is super. The sushi loungs is a little $$, and the menu is a tiny bit spotty, but otherwise the sushi is very good! We try to eat there whenever we stay there.

HRH- I already listed some pro and cons. The vibe is a fun rock and roll. Mostly this is great, except I could do without hearing say, Twisted Sister's "We're Not Gonna Take It" at 7am in the morning. Ya Know? Other times, it is exciting to be at HRH in the evening when an event is happening. the place feels alive. Though there are plenty of kids, HRH leans slightly towards more of an adult flavor than the others. We've never tried the steakhouse, but the food court is a bit boring. All the memorabilia is fun.

Porto - Italian. Portofino reminds me slightly of the World Showcase for some reason; at both I really like the night lighting. The food is generally quite good. For me, one of the things I don't love about Portofino is that it is a bit sprawling and (layout) a tad confusing - like the Boardwalk. The CL lounge is near the lobby, so often you'll have a bit of distance between your room and the lounge. The other 2 CL's are slightly more compact. Slightly more upscale that the other 2.

I will also give a shoutout to the two new-ish hotels. We REALLY like Sapphire Falls, if only they had a CL! The décor, dining, layout, and pool are super. Though to be fair, all our rooms have been close to the lobby. If you are staying at RP, it is a very short walk to SF! We have enjoyed all the dining we have tried there. It has a Caribbean theme, so a mix of new and familiar items are offered, in very enjoyable décor.

The Aventura is very...millennial. That's the best word I have for it. Much in the rooms is powered by an iPad! It is the light switch, tv remote, air control. (We found it a bit quirky.) The food court offerings though are excellent and very modern. One of the options is a make your own stir fry or soup area. You choose from a wide array of veggies, proteins, and soup or stir fry. Healthy, delicious, custom, and inexpensive. That is just one of the stations offered. And we didn't even try to new sky top eatery. I so wish they'd put a similar food court into the HRH.

Just wanted to pop in to report on our Beach Club club level stay last week. My husband and I stayed four nights last week and we loved it. It was our first club level stay so other than what I read here, I had no idea what to expect. As many have mentioned, I’m not sure I could go back to a “regular” room LOL. We were booked in a standard view room, but had an amazing view of Stormalong Bay (roof view if we looked to the right). We were just a short walk from the lounge. We found the food offerings more than adequate. Loved the breakfast choices every day. Popped in only once during the snack times. I think we grabbed a cookie and some iced tea. As it turned out, twice we had either a big lunch or a late lunch so we were able to make a meal of the evening food offerings. The desserts were amazing. Happy to answer any questions anyone might have :-).

Just wanted to pop in to report on our Beach Club club level stay last week. My husband and I stayed four nights last week and we loved it. It was our first club level stay so other than what I read here, I had no idea what to expect. As many have mentioned, I’m not sure I could go back to a “regular” room LOL. We were booked in a standard view room, but had an amazing view of Stormalong Bay (roof view if we looked to the right). We were just a short walk from the lounge. We found the food offerings more than adequate. Loved the breakfast choices every day. Popped in only once during the snack times. I think we grabbed a cookie and some iced tea. As it turned out, twice we had either a big lunch or a late lunch so we were able to make a meal of the evening food offerings. The desserts were amazing. Happy to answer any questions anyone might have :-).
Sounds like you got one of the standard view rooms we requested and didn’t get last summer! Nice. We had a good stay, but looking at the front of the resort isn’t anything special, that’s for sure!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter