Disney's CORONADO SPRINGS RESORT Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tower was last in March 2020 before shutdown, but they were running special buses to HS in the morning just from the Tower. They filled up with ROTR hopefuls in the first three stops.

It's official!! With the new discount today we finally made the decision to switch from POP to GDT.
I'm excited to try somewhere new. I'm a little nervous about what restaurants will open but even one TS will be better than just the food court at POP
We just did the same! I'd been pondering this change lately and, while we were excited to stay at Pop for the first time, we were a little concerned over reports about buses, food options (hoping CSR opens some!), and decided it didn't make sense to stay at a Skyline resort since our plans for this 3 days in the park trip is to visit MK and AK. We decided to (most likely) hold off on Epcot this time and since this a special trip is for DD who isn't a SW fan, shows aren't running, and she can't ride most of the rides at DHS, it wouldn't be fun for her. (Oh Galaxy's Edge how I will miss you! lol)

We've stayed at CSR before, but never in the tower. One day we did ride the elevator up and it looked beautiful.

@Leigh L I've been going back and forth about it for a while too. Even though it wasn't a huge discount it was enough for me switch.

We've stayed twice at POP, just on arrival night before we switched to another resort. We liked it fine and won't hesitate to stay again. Just not this time. Like everyone else, we really need a vacation. GDT seems beautiful and relaxing. The pool definitely seems better. My husband also really wants to be able to use the gym and that wasn't an option at POP.
I'm hoping at least two of the restaurants open or at least one and the lounge.
I'm a teeny bit worried about taking a bus around the resort but if it's a hassle we'll probably just use Lyft.

We have 2 HS, 2 AK and one day each at EP and MK. We're bringing DS13 and he wants HS twice. My DH and I aren't SW fans either and without the shows...well, if DS didn't want to go so bad we'd probably skip HS too. We plan on either brunch or dinner almost every day at DS and with the short park hours it feels like the resort is more important this time.

We moved our trip from May to September at AKL, after further consideration we decided to move it to early Dec.and Between the shut down and then them removing the free dining they gave us, we got an AMAZING discount and we are now booked at GDT-water view! Our rate with tickets for 7 nights was just too good to pass up. We are CSR veterans and LOVE it there, but this will be our first GDT stay. We keep watching videos on youtube and dreaming of being there.

I am a little worried about the bus loop since we have always stayed in the Casitas section and never had much of a bus problem. DH says we will just walk to that stop, lol. I'll be worn out before getting to a park!

Fingers crossed 3 Bridges and Toledo are open and that the menus aren't missing too much. We haven't had the chance to try either of those yet and we are so looking forward to it!

Jumping on this thread. We were originally planning a POP stay from November 21 to 28, but with the new discount for the southern states and dropping my park hoppers, we moved our reservation to a preferred room at CSR and still saved $500. Can't wait!!!

Anyone know where they’ve been recently moving folks to? We have an early October reservation at CSR that we are very unlikely to keep, but got a voicemail from them today about moving us.

I could save $500 by moving from GDT (where I’ve never stayed) to a regular standard room at CSR (stayed there 4 years ago). Have our car, kids age 4 and 7. Thoughts?

I could save $500 by moving from GDT (where I’ve never stayed) to a regular standard room at CSR (stayed there 4 years ago). Have our car, kids age 4 and 7. Thoughts?

I'm thinking I would prefer to be in the standard rooms at CSR because I too have a car. I've always been able to park close to the car. Easy to drop off people and go park the car. Closer to the cool pool.

But this time (Feb.) I they offered me the tower in trade for my Port Orleans French Quarter reservation. I've never stayed in the tower so I thought I'd give it a try but I'm thinking it's going to be a long walk from the car, to the elevator, to the room.

Is room service suspended at the Grand Destino Tower? If yes, any ideas when room service will continue?
Just booked Grand Destino Tower as a backup vacation in case our 12/12/20 cruise is cancelled.

Updated.,,,. Never mind. I see the resort is closed due to NBA until 10-15-20.

Last edited:
We are considering a mid/late october trip. Found cheap flights and with AP discounts, I can get a reasonable price for water view at GDT... If I want to save moeny, I could go to Pop for 1/2 the GDT's price.

We've never stayed at GDT, and to be honest, the price difference staying at Pop would cover our food for the week. We've stayed at Pop and All Star Movies before for more than a week and were able to deal with it. Usually we like French Quarter, but its not available for these dates, and GDT rooms are comparable size.

Because the NBA is at GDT now, there is no list of what food options will be open there.

Any thoughts on transportation, food, etc. for GDT during Covid once the NBA is done? Is it worth twice the Pop price for the week? Is water view in GDT preferred? or something else?

If it matters, we plan 2 days in Epcot, 2 Magic Kingdom, and 1 each DHS and AK.

We have stayed a few times at GDT and many many times at CSR, definitely our favorite moderate on property. Our thoughts on the GDT differ than most as far as rooms are concerned. 1st we like the standard view rooms at GDT better than the water view...when we stay in the tower we always ask for a high floor, standard view, and eastern side so that we can see fireworks from Epcot and DHS, but now that may not be a thing anyway. Once while staying in the tower they had the x-wing ships flying around that were built for the opening of Galaxies Edge...was very cool. While we like the GDT, we actually prefer the rooms not located in the tower...not because the rooms are not great, they are, but because for us it is way easier to get around the resort from a central location. Pools, food, quiet pools, walks are much better for us. The tower is nice, but we love the beautiful open spaces right outside of your room at CSR, and the tower just feels tight to me.

You can't go wrong with either location as the property is beautiful and as others have said...great food options, great bar options, great pool options...options!!

Originally we had a reservation for April 2021 at Gran Destino tower, then switched to CBR preferred. I was thinking about moving our reservation back to Gran Destino but not available. Any ideas why?

Are they still offering any resort activities, and if so, does anyone have a current calendar??
Only the NBA knows and I don’t think we’ll get the same options 😉

(CSR is not open at this time to the public so there is no activist schedule. We don’t even know what restaurants they’re gonna open.)

Originally we had a reservation for April 2021 at Gran Destino tower, then switched to CBR preferred. I was thinking about moving our reservation back to Gran Destino but not available. Any ideas why?
Keep checking over the next few days. Disney’s legendary IT issues + GD having limited availability (especially if a convention books it) can make it look like there is nothing.

Which rooms/buildings are Preferred rooms? We did a standard room last time and were in the Ranchos. Nice new room but a bit of a walk to actually use much in the main area. We just booked CSR again selected a Preferred room this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter