Disney's PORT ORLEANS FRENCH QUARTER RESORT Information & Questions

I keep hearing about how good the beignets are at POFQ. Realizing I am probably asking a biased crowd, how good are they? Are they as good as what you would get in New Orleans? We are staying here on our arrival night, and I'm trying to decide if I want to eat breakfast at the resort - and try the beignets- or eat in the park - most likely Sleepy Hollow's fruit and Nutella a waffles which I :love:. Thoughts? Opinions?

We are arriving end of September when should I fax over my room requests? (Top Floor, away from elevator)

The suggestion is 5 days before arrival. That's what I did, and we were in one of the two buildings I requested.

I keep hearing about how good the beignets are at POFQ. Realizing I am probably asking a biased crowd, how good are they? Are they as good as what you would get in New Orleans? We are staying here on our arrival night, and I'm trying to decide if I want to eat breakfast at the resort - and try the beignets- or eat in the park - most likely Sleepy Hollow's fruit and Nutella a waffles which I :love:. Thoughts? Opinions?

To be honest, I didn't think they were that great. I went over to the food court our first morning to get some milk and juice, and got an order of 6 - about half were thrown away. They were not as light as true Café du Monde beignets, kind of thick and doughy. One was all I could eat.

To be honest, I didn't think they were that great. I went over to the food court our first morning to get some milk and juice, and got an order of 6 - about half were thrown away. They were not as light as true Café du Monde beignets, kind of thick and doughy. One was all I could eat.

So I haven't been to New Orleans in years (will check back in after our Sept trip there) however, I agree that they were on the thick and doughy side. I watched them pull the cut pieces of dough and put them into a fryer. To me, they were more like a thick fried puff of dough that you would get at a state fair cart. One or two were good but the whole order was too much.

I keep hearing about how good the beignets are at POFQ. Realizing I am probably asking a biased crowd, how good are they? Are they as good as what you would get in New Orleans??

I got them the morning I arrived on my last trip and they were raw in the middle...not good at all. I should have asked for a replacement, or something, but I didn't. I feel like I had to have received a bad batch, though, with the way people rave about them.

Looking to see if anyone has a pricing list of the grocery items sold at POFQ's Jackson Square Gifts?

Debating between grocery delivery or buying at the resort and want to compare prices. :)

Thank you in advance!

We always get items from Garden Grocery since we are buying for two families. You can find the prices on the Garden Grocery web site.

Awesome! I'll have pumpkin Yoda, plus lights and window clings.

Does anyone know if Disney allows those cling-to-the-wall hooks that come away without damaging the wall? I have a lovely Halloween wreath that I'd love to put on our door.

We have decorated or windows the last two vacations - I used a magnetic hook on the door to hang our Halloween Wreath and also removable hooks on the windows for decorations and lights.

Thank you @Claire&TheBoys, @buddyjo143 , and @L_MD for your responses! I will Mark this off of my "priorities" list. :thumbsup2

For what it's worth, while I've never had real New Orleans beignets, we really enjoyed the ones we ate at FQ in May 2016. We got 6 (Mr. Barbanellie and me), they were all hot and fluffy and disappeared in mere minutes. We were staying at POR, but had returned from AK and got off at POFQ to buy beignets to eat while walking back to POR. They barely made it outside the food court and we were covered in powdered sugar.

Not saying everyone will like them, or have a good experience like we had, but wanted to balance out the fact that they are not always hard, undercooked, heavy, etc.

What is sad is the one item we had at POFQ on that trip that made us want to stay here on our next trip (which will probably be next year) were the ice cream cookie sandwiches, but they no longer have them. Those were out of this world (for this Canadian couple, anyway!)

For what it's worth, while I've never had real New Orleans beignets, we really enjoyed the ones we ate at FQ in May 2016. We got 6 (Mr. Barbanellie and me), they were all hot and fluffy and disappeared in mere minutes. We were staying at POR, but had returned from AK and got off at POFQ to buy beignets to eat while walking back to POR. They barely made it outside the food court and we were covered in powdered sugar.

Not saying everyone will like them, or have a good experience like we had, but wanted to balance out the fact that they are not always hard, undercooked, heavy, etc.

What is sad is the one item we had at POFQ on that trip that made us want to stay here on our next trip (which will probably be next year) were the ice cream cookie sandwiches, but they no longer have them. Those were out of this world (for this Canadian couple, anyway!)

We were sad about the ice cream cookie sandwich too. It was my son's favorite. We checked menus and it looks like you can get them inside the parks at a couple of places, but it never worked into our schedule during the day and we weren't sure if they were the same. Our favorite way to end the day was in the food court eating our ice cream and talking about our day.

We had the beignets last month and they really seemed like a frozen dough that was thawed and fried. It was fine, but nothing light and airy like at Cafe du Monde. I will say that we had 1 left over and it was inedible the next day!

We were not pleased with the beignet sundae. The hot beignets melted the ice cream really fast and the cold ice cream made the beignets tough and chewy.

I've never been to New Orleans so I have no idea how authentic they are. I would guess not very. We have them multiple time over the course of 12 days and noticed a variation in quality. Still we managed to finish them off every time.

The POGQ beignets are denser and doughier than the light and crispy NOLA version. I still like them, but I mean, come on, it's fried dough and powdered sugar. As long as they're hot you pretty much can't go wrong with fried dough and powdered sugar with me.

Quick update. We are curretly here at POFQ. They changed out our mattresses yesterday morning in room 7140 corner and they're doing other rooms as well. Just an FYI.
This room is great. They are still offering the mouskeeping discounts. We got $75 off our 6 day stay and you can still call the front desk for free trash, towels, sheets and tp delivery.

Quick update. We are curretly here at POFQ. They changed out our mattresses yesterday morning in room 7140 corner and they're doing other rooms as well. Just an FYI.
This room is great. They are still offering the mouskeeping discounts. We got $75 off our 6 day stay and you can still call the front desk for free trash, towels, sheets and tp delivery.

Free trash?! How thoughtful! :rotfl2:

But seriously, this is interesting info that you can call to get those services, especially the trash removal as that has been a big concern expressed. So I am now trying to think/remember what all housekeeping does besides these tasks and making beds - do they vacuum and clean the bathroom each day? And, I guess they "tidy up" the room/bathroom?

Thanks for the report! I arrive on Sunday. Did you request the no housekeeping option at check in?

If you want clean, modern, white and ... blandly sterile, you could try the refurbished rooms at Pop Century. POFQ is going to get rooms refurbishments early next year, and I really hope they don't go down the same route and throw away the current charm and theme.

Andre
Andre I heard this somewhere about POFQ gettin rooms refurbished , wasn't this done a few years ago? They are doing it again? I am very interested in hearing what they plan on doing because for next years vacation we were thinking of trying riverside just for the change up of rooms, but if POFQ is doin refurbs we will do our B.B. As usual
At French quarter , I wasn't thrilled for riverside but we wanted change. Please tell
Me any info you know about this . Thank you Andre ......... Jodi

Andre I heard this somewhere about POFQ gettin rooms refurbished , wasn't this done a few years ago?

Yes, it was last done in 2010/2011, so is about due for another refurb. It's meant to be soft-goods mainly, so nothing structural. Latest I've heard is that it should start early 2018 (date is still flexible) and I would expect it to take about 6 months to complete all the FQ rooms, one building at a time.

Andre

Yes, it was last done in 2010/2011, so is about due for another refurb. It's meant to be soft-goods mainly, so nothing structural. Latest I've heard is that it should start early 2018 (date is still flexible) and I would expect it to take about 6 months to complete all the FQ rooms, one building at a time.

Andre
Oh no. I love the POR/FQ rooms. It seems with the new refurbs they are taking out fans and all the small resort specific Disney touches and making all rooms look sterile :sad1: To me they look like they could be rooms anywhere.
Glad to hear about new beds anyway. Hope they're more comfortable. I'm a side sleeper and always had hip pain with PO mattresses.

Andre
Oh my... I do love a fresh mattress! :D Thanks for letting us know!

Or... at least a mattress that only a few thousand guests have slept on before me, not at least 20,000 other guests... ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter