Disney's PORT ORLEANS RIVERSIDE RESORT Information & Questions

We're planning a resort day next time we stay at POR and I'm curious what y'all would say are the "must do" resort activities. I was reading a few ideas on the WDW website and it all sounds fun. We will have 2 adults, 2 children, and 1 infant. Thanks!

We're planning a resort day next time we stay at POR and I'm curious what y'all would say are the "must do" resort activities. I was reading a few ideas on the WDW website and it all sounds fun. We will have 2 adults, 2 children, and 1 infant. Thanks!

I'd say:

- Pool and hot tub. Young kids may enjoy the activities in the afternoon
- Yehaw Bob. Yes, it's a bar - but the show is very family friendly
- Carriage ride. We have not done this, yet it looks like fun.
- Boat ride to DS

I'd say:

- Pool and hot tub. Young kids may enjoy the activities in the afternoon
- Yehaw Bob. Yes, it's a bar - but the show is very family friendly
- Carriage ride. We have not done this, yet it looks like fun.
- Boat ride to DS
Depending on the age of the children you may want go over to POFQ and checkout the childrens' pool. It was redone a year ago . The pool area at POFQ is smaller but from reviews I've read the slide in their main better suited for younger children.

Sadly, the temporary “Scat Cat’s Café” table-service location at French Quarter that was opened over Christmas 2015 will not be making an appearance again this year. Apparently due to concerns that the Sassagoula Floatworks & Food Factory refurbishment might overrun its scheduled re-opening date, they felt unable to commit to using the Bonfamille’s Café space early enough to make definitive plans.

Andre

I hate to bring this up.....but did anyone else read the report of bed bugs at Riverside that was posted recently? The person received a letter saying her room that they stayed in for 1 night had bed bugs and they comped her 1 night's stay. Her stay was this month, but she was already home by the time she received the letter. Then on that same thread, another person said that happened to her Sept 2015 in the AB section of Riverside.

We are scheduled to be in a preferred room at Riverside next month. I tried to call and ask and of course, I could not really speak to the front desk at Riverside...it was just a person at centralized guest services....and their only comment was denial. I was hoping to be able to talk to a manager on duty personally at Riverside to see if this is an ongoing problem since this was just experienced this month there.

So do we just go on a hope and a prayer and check our room as thoroughly as we can.....or should we add some sort of special request to be in a building that had not had this issue of late? I'm thinking at the very least, maybe we should leave our bags with bell services instead of letting them automatically put our bags in our room.....until we can check out our room first.

I hate to bring this up.....but did anyone else read the report of bed bugs at Riverside that was posted recently? The person received a letter saying her room that they stayed in for 1 night had bed bugs and they comped her 1 night's stay. Her stay was this month, but she was already home by the time she received the letter. Then on that same thread, another person said that happened to her Sept 2015 in the AB section of Riverside.

We are scheduled to be in a preferred room at Riverside next month. I tried to call and ask and of course, I could not really speak to the front desk at Riverside...it was just a person at centralized guest services....and their only comment was denial. I was hoping to be able to talk to a manager on duty personally at Riverside to see if this is an ongoing problem since this was just experienced this month there.

So do we just go on a hope and a prayer and check our room as thoroughly as we can.....or should we add some sort of special request to be in a building that had not had this issue of late? I'm thinking at the very least, maybe we should leave our bags with bell services instead of letting them automatically put our bags in our room.....until we can check out our room first.

I would want to be in that room or the one on either side of it as they have just been treated. Bed bugs are not inherent to a resort. They are brought in via other guests. Your odds are not better or worse at any resort.

I would want to be in that room or the one on either side of it as they have just been treated. Bed bugs are not inherent to a resort. They are brought in via other guests. Your odds are not better or worse at any resort.

This. It can happen anywhere. I've stayed there many times, with February 2016 being the most recent. I've never had bed bugs.

I suppose this is true.......thanks for offering a bit of reality......I just know the little buggers are hard to get rid of. This person experienced this during this month and the the second person chiming in with the same issue makes me a bit panicy.

I suppose this is true.......thanks for offering a bit of reality...

Any hotel, no matter where and what price, can get bed bugs in a room - unless they prohibit guests from ever staying there anyway. As has been said, the hotel doesn't breed them, occasionally guests unwittingly bring them in with them. It's how the hotel deals with the situation if it does occur that is important, and Disney are VERY hot on moving guests and eradicating any bugs as soon as they are found. I'm impressed that they went as far as contacting guests that had already left though, that's very conscientious considering they could have just waited to see if they heard from those guests first.

In short, there is no more or less a risk at any given WDW hotel, don't let it bother you.

Andre

Any hotel, no matter where and what price, can get bed bugs in a room - unless they prohibit guests from ever staying there anyway. As has been said, the hotel doesn't breed them, occasionally guests unwittingly bring them in with them. It's how the hotel deals with the situation if it does occur that is important, and Disney are VERY hot on moving guests and eradicating any bugs as soon as they are found. I'm impressed that they went as far as contacting guests that had already left though, that's very conscientious considering they could have just waited to see if they heard from those guests first.

In short, there is no more or less a risk at any given WDW hotel, don't let it bother you.

Andre
A lot of bed bugs are transferred in airports I've heard. Makes sense with all the huge stacks of luggage. Yuck.

So yesterday was my online check-in date. Have they changed the options available when making requests? All I was able to select between were 'Corner Room, Ground Floor, or Highest Floor'.

I was under the assumption that it had more options previously, or was this never the case? Either way I've faxed in my request (which is merely a request to have any room in a 'Mansion'-styled building), but I'm curious if the options are less than previously available (which would make sense, as many requests are not often possible to fulfill).

Thanks for any info!

So yesterday was my online check-in date. Have they changed the options available when making requests? All I was able to select between were 'Corner Room, Ground Floor, or Highest Floor'.

They did add some more options earlier in the year, many of which were pretty nonsensical (e.g. they included some of the paid upgrade booking categories, such as king bed and water view). Once this was pointed out, they cut them back even further than before to the somewhat meager selection you now see.

Andre

so I currently have three rooms booked in the preferred location at POR. I have the option to go "garden view" (non preferred) for just under $400/room less.
The issue is that my wife is does not like us not being close to each other, thus why we booked preferred to increase the odds, but saving $1200 is a big deal (although really only $400 to me specifically)
What to doooooo, hmmm

so I currently have three rooms booked in the preferred location at POR. I have the option to go "garden view" (non preferred) for just under $400/room less.
The issue is that my wife is does not like us not being close to each other, thus why we booked preferred to increase the odds, but saving $1200 is a big deal (although really only $400 to me specifically)
What to doooooo, hmmm
Another option is to call and ask that the 3 rooms be close to each other. How do the other people feel? Is the $400 savings worth it to them too?

What to doooooo, hmmm

With multi-room bookings they normally try to place all of the rooms near to each other (if not next door), so I would save the money. Just make sure that all three bookings are set as linked on the system, and also send a fax about 5 days before you arrive re-confirming and asking to be in nearby rooms.

Andre

They did add some more options earlier in the year, many of which were pretty nonsensical (e.g. they included some of the paid upgrade booking categories, such as king bed and water view). Once this was pointed out, they cut them back even further than before to the somewhat meager selection you now see.

Andre

Ah, that makes sense. Glad to know I wasn't imagining the previous options.

Thanks for the information!

I just booked with the new RO discount. My only options were pool and river views for AB. I just looked at my date range, again, and nothing was available under the discount. I got in under the wire! I hope they open up SV.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter