Do we expect more because it's Disney

eliza61

DIS Veteran
First, let me say that I love to travel. From the first time when my dad gathered up the kinfolk and said "westward ho" from our NYC apartment, I've enjoyed travelling. I'm lucky enough to travel for work so usually I'm on the road 3 months out of the year.

Second, I love Disney. Any man who can take Florida swamp land, plop a castle in the middle of it, make me pay a fortune to live with a giant mouse and not ask "what's for dinner hon?" Should have a state named after him.

But why the dissatisfaction with the mouse world? :confused: or do we expect more when we go to disney?

1. If we go some where else, do we automatically assume we will have our hotel room upgraded? No problem asking but if you hang around the trip planning board people are getting really P.O ed because they're not getting free upgrades. If we go to a Hilton, do we automatically expected to be upgraded.

2. You get free transportation. Where else does this happen? You go to any other major tourist spot and you are on your own. Why are folks griping because they have to wait a while after the parks close to get a resort bus, or god forbid the resort bus is crowded. :scared1: Do we really expect to be magically whisked from our resort to the parks. One arguement is if you pay $300 per night to stay in a deluxe you should not have to share your bus. :rotfl2: You can pay $700 bucks a night to stay in the Waldof Astoria, I guarentee you, the doorman will call you a cab that's about as good as it gets.

Lastly, if we travel some where else and it's our birthday do we automatically assume the hotel staff or the wait staff is now our best buds?
Why does it happen when we go to Disney? Outside of the "happy birthday" button what more do we want? Folks are complaining because the big cheese himself didn't come down personally and sing happy birthday to little Suzy.

I gotta stop reading the trip planning forum, it's depressing. :sad1:

Have a magical day

Seriously? People expect upgrades and uncrowded buses? And even more special treatment on birthdays? I guess I stick 95% to the dvc forums so I haven't seen that. Must be part of the feeling of entitlement some people have.

I rent a car so that I don't have to worry about resort to resort transportation issues, or how to easily get to DDD. I've gotten an upgrade at Disney once in my life- at AKL to a Deluxe room one night when we checked in really really late. It was a nice surprise. But I expect crowded buses and to get the exact room type I reserved.

I just love being at Disney so getting upset on my vacation there is one of the last things I want to do.

p.s. I've stayed at the Waldorf pretty much every time I'm in NYC. It is expensive and pretty, and it has character. But I spend a fortune on cab fares there, too. :)

I think people do expect more from WDW than other vacations. But they probably go with high expectations, and when those arent met, they get upset.

For us, DVC afforded the chance to slow down,and not consume it all at once. The rush factor tends to play into why I see people stressing over things that otherwise might pass them by. Therefore, they take it out on CMs who dont deserve to have it taken out on them.

I am just happy we get the kind of accomodations we do when in WDW. I am pretty much dissapointed now when I go other places;) WDW and DVC has spoiled me, but in a good way, if thats possible:woohoo:

I have come to expect more from Disney in Quality and service, but not upgrades. We hoped we would get upgraded when we cruised on the Wonder, but it didn't happen and we weren't bothered by it.

jimmytammy has summed it up well for me.

I guess I was just wondering because I was reading a thread about whether or not people would continue to go to AKL once it had the villas. A few people said No because the extra people meant the busses would be crowded or that they would have to wait for a bus. Go figure?

frankly, as one who stays/lives in hotels 300 nights/year the WDW properties are lower in quality than comparable hotels. Most WDW resorts are a solid 2 or 3 star hotel.

I have lowered expectations from a hotel room at WDW compared to the 'real world'. Due to high occupancies and volume of children at WDW, guest rooms do not stand up as well between refurbishment.

Once again, Eliza, I have enjoyed reading your writing.:rotfl2: You do have a way with words!
I think the internet has caused a lot of unnecessary angst for people because they read what others have gotten, and so they in turn expect it. Sad really. Just like all those here on the DVC boards (my favorite is renters who have no idea of the resort they will be renting in) who want and expect the best view. If not for the internet, people would have no clue that certain rooms/views exist!

In a way I do expect a little more from Disney. CMs not to be rude, cleanliness, that sort of thing. But in no way do I expect Disney to celebrate my birthday or anything along those lines. And when I got an upgrade at my beloved Dixie Landings, I really appreciated it. I did not expect it.

frankly, as one who stays/lives in hotels 300 nights/year the WDW properties are lower in quality than comparable hotels. Most WDW resorts are a solid 2 or 3 star hotel.

I have lowered expectations from a hotel room at WDW compared to the 'real world'. Due to high occupancies and volume of children at WDW, guest rooms do not stand up as well between refurbishment.

Just wondering, what star rating would you give to each of the DVC resorts?

Just wondering, what star rating would you give to each of the DVC resorts?

I consider them a solid three star. Compare them to other hotel affiliated time share properties and they are pleasant, but not the best. The quality of my room at OKW is often far too worn; last stay I was in 'the room where furniture goes to die' ;)

the location and surrounding area certainly make up for the quality of the guest room.

I WILL say that my studio at the BCV recently was great quality, which would increase my impression somewhat.

They are nice units at DVC, just not the best of the best within their category

First, let me say that I love to travel. From the first time when my dad gathered up the kinfolk and said "westward ho" from our NYC apartment, I've enjoyed travelling. I'm lucky enough to travel for work so usually I'm on the road 3 months out of the year.

Second, I love Disney. Any man who can take Florida swamp land, plop a castle in the middle of it, make me pay a fortune to live with a giant mouse and not ask "what's for dinner hon?" Should have a state named after him.

But why the dissatisfaction with the mouse world? :confused: or do we expect more when we go to disney?

1. If we go some where else, do we automatically assume we will have our hotel room upgraded? No problem asking but if you hang around the trip planning board people are getting really P.O ed because they're not getting free upgrades. If we go to a Hilton, do we automatically expected to be upgraded.

2. You get free transportation. Where else does this happen? You go to any other major tourist spot and you are on your own. Why are folks griping because they have to wait a while after the parks close to get a resort bus, or god forbid the resort bus is crowded. :scared1: Do we really expect to be magically whisked from our resort to the parks. One arguement is if you pay $300 per night to stay in a deluxe you should not have to share your bus. :rotfl2: You can pay $700 bucks a night to stay in the Waldof Astoria, I guarentee you, the doorman will call you a cab that's about as good as it gets.

Lastly, if we travel some where else and it's our birthday do we automatically assume the hotel staff or the wait staff is now our best buds?
Why does it happen when we go to Disney? Outside of the "happy birthday" button what more do we want? Folks are complaining because the big cheese himself didn't come down personally and sing happy birthday to little Suzy.

I gotta stop reading the trip planning forum, it's depressing. :sad1:

Have a magical day

Eliza, have you tried the Disney for Families? :rotfl2: that's another one of those forums that sometimes makes me laugh or cry or sometimes both. :rolleyes:

I think with AKL, you're just seeing some DVC envy. Should have checked out the camping forum,when the rumor of a DVC at the old water park up there was floating about.

Is it just me or does the fact that you never see a piece of trash anywhere at WDW not impressive?

I may be in a mouse induced haze while I'm there but every time I go I am consistently impressed by the conspicuous lack of trash along the roads, in the parks, etc. Even when an errant ice cream cone or popcorn spill hits the streets a cast member magically appears within minutes to wisk it away.

That's enough of an "upgrade" for me compared to other parks I've been too.

It's called the 'Disney Difference.' They tout it on the DVC webpage.

I do not think that it means that one should expect free room upgrades and the like.

But I do think that we should expect that Disney magic when we check in. And I feel the the castmembers should give us a smile when we walk by.

The little things mean a lot to me. A castmember who is rude or otherwise mean is not giving me the Disney Difference. We paid big bucks to immerse ourselves in the magic of Disney. If Walt were roaming the hallways of WDW, he would not tolerate anything less than the best in service.

I think the internet has caused a lot of unnecessary angst for people because they read what others have gotten, and so they in turn expect it. Sad really. Just like all those here on the DVC boards (my favorite is renters who have no idea of the resort they will be renting in) who want and expect the best view. If not for the internet, people would have no clue that certain rooms/views exist!

I think this is a big part of the problem. These boards are a fantastic source of information, and they've helped with my trip planning tremendously. However, you will always have those that come to expect things reported here that were an extra bit of pixie dust or whatever, and that's when the problems begin. It's too bad that people can't come on these boards and share their good fortune without others expecting the same.

I consider them a solid three star. Compare them to other hotel affiliated time share properties and they are pleasant, but not the best. The quality of my room at OKW is often far too worn; last stay I was in 'the room where furniture goes to die' ;)

the location and surrounding area certainly make up for the quality of the guest room.

I WILL say that my studio at the BCV recently was great quality, which would increase my impression somewhat.

I too think they're a 3 star but they do not charge 4 star prices. On the east coast you would not be in a 4 star hotel room for $300/night. The 4 seasons in Washington, Philly and the Marriott times square are easily $400-$500 per night standard. Waldolf Astoria, Plaza all these are 4 stars but no way are you going under $350/night.

I think that yes, many people expect more from Disney. In a way, Disney has themselves to blame by setting the guest experience bar so high for so many years.

I agree that the internet has put them in a tough place. If someone reads the best tips on how to snare a "parade marshall family" spot, and then they don't get it....they are disappointed and unbelievably they get mad and feel like they've been slighted.

Going to WDW is not cheap, especially with the admission tickets and on-site food costs. For many people, that generates the "make my trip magical...I dare you" attitude. :rolleyes:

To me it's simple. Receiving "magic" is normally in pretty good proportion to spreading it oneself. :)

I am glad that you described DVC resorts as a solid three! I was afraid that GF was a 3 and the DVCs were a 2. :thumbsup2
I mostly agree with you (maybe 3 plus if there is such a thing :lmao: )

Should have checked out the camping forum,when the rumor of a DVC at the old water park up there was floating about.

Now, if they build a DVC at River Country, I might be first in line. I loved that place. However, I thought that I had read somewhere that they were considering making it a part of FW.

I think people do expect more from WDW than other vacations. But they probably go with high expectations, and when those arent met, they get upset.

For us, DVC afforded the chance to slow down,and not consume it all at once. The rush factor tends to play into why I see people stressing over things that otherwise might pass them by. Therefore, they take it out on CMs who dont deserve to have it taken out on them.

I am just happy we get the kind of accomodations we do when in WDW. I am pretty much dissapointed now when I go other places;) WDW and DVC has spoiled me, but in a good way, if thats possible:woohoo:

That is an exact summary on our feelings about DVC. :thumbsup2

I'm always amazed at how miserable some people can be while on vacation!

I agree with the other poster that sometimes people read about how great another person's vacation was...and expect theirs to be, too, just because they're staying in the same resort.

Some people can have a great vacation in the rain, and some can't have a good one even if the circumstances were perfect.

I do expect a lot from Disney, but we've been there enough to know it's the place for us!

Vacations are what you make of them, I have been all over the world, many times over, All over the US, On my dime and on other's dime, We always vacation at Disney, I know what to expect, If a CM or event doesn't meet expectations then there is another one just around the corner that usually meets or exceeds expectaions that make up for the poor one. Besides, going to Disney with my family means everything to me. This years trip is to celebrate my parents 50th, My newborn daughters first trip, looking forward to this adventure, No matter what happens, we will all have a great time, Disney is about spending quality time with one's family, and that can never be a disappointment!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter