• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Do you trust your DVC guide?

This is my first time responding to multiple quotes, so hopefully it turns out ok! My apologies if it's a mess...

It is true that some states can't buy over the phone and have to buy at WDW in person. I thought that was with newly selling resorts like CCV now but maybe it's always.

We were at the DLR DVC tour center and would have had absolutely no problem purchasing Aulani, Poly, or CC, so I don't think that is what was happening....

Legally, you only have 10 days to rewrite the contract, so it seems "interesting" that she'll be in a 10 day cruise after you sign the contract. I'd rescind immediately, book the resort you want for cash, and buy BCV on the resale market. You should still come out ahead.

I should have mentioned that she told us to put aside the Poly contract and not return it, so we technically aren't even under contract yet. I had made a cash reservation a while ago which I've held onto in case this transaction doesn't work. I've been watching the BCV availability on several different sites and it seems like they are being grabbed as soon as they're posted - even stripped contracts. That is definitely the route I'll take if we continue to have problems.

[QUOTE="bumbershoot, post: 57814584, member: 141567"

Well, why do you feel that BCV is the only resort needed for rundisney? For rundisney events so far I've stayed at All Star Music, SSR, POR, Bay Lake, AOA, and even Royal Pacific up at Universal, and they've all been good. Even if the start is at Epcot you still have to get on the bus to get there. And if the finish is at Epcot you can only walk through the park to get "home" if you have admission. Not sure that is THAT convenient.

We have been incredibly spoiled by the DLR RunDisney events and much prefer walking back to our room after races even if it involves walking through Epcot. The pool is also a huge draw to own at BCV. I'm considering BLT from a value standpoint and CCV or BRV for theme, but BCV is really our preference.

Makes no sense as far as I know. And what supersnoop said about rewriting the contract would make me run far away after rescinding the contract.

She'll be back in the office on Friday, so I'm planning to give her one last chance to redeem the situation as we'll be heading over to DCA on Saturday to ride GOTG for the first time. If things don't go well I will definitely wait for a smaller resale contract to come along.

Thanks so much for all of the insight! I'll update after we are back in contact with her.

If they were still selling SSR, if you had waited, you would have gotten Bay Lake or AKV, yes?
It was 2006 when we purchased so I don't think Bay Lake, or even AKV were online then. Not sure what was available then. I think

Or do you mean not purchased direct and gone with resale? Sometimes I wish we had done that, but it was truly possible for us at that time, and we've learned a lot about our financial weaknesses and strengths from purchasing (and financing) direct.
This was our first venture into timeshares, and like I said I had timeshare fever. So, I didn't know much about the resale market. It would have been financially more sound to go the resale route, but I didn't want to wait. I thought I'd done my due diligence before scheduling our sales visit. In retrospect it was definitely an impulse buy, even though our guide didn't pressure us. He probably saw "Sucker" written on my forehead when I came in the preview center, maybe me salivating was a tipoff.

Knowing many of the guides, most of them are honest. A few of the short timers would be trouble. They would get praise for their performance one month and get fired a few months later when they finally crossed the line enough times (or management finally got the pixie dust out of their eyes and saw what they were doing).

Very few of the guides that lasted more than 18 months were the types that we read about on here.

With that said, with most of the senior sales leaders now coming from traditional timeshare companies, the sales team is not the same as a few years ago.

I just love our guide (Tim Grabman if anyone is looking for someone good)...I've bought 7 times through him (first time in 2006 and last time this past November--all small add-on's; biggest one was 115 points, smallest (3 of them) were 50 points, so didn't seem worth it to me to go resale)...never any pressure, always willing to go a step beyond to make it easy for me...sometimes I had to wait list some points, sometimes I didn't. He's "perfect" (probably by accident!) at keeping in touch...just often enough -- he remembers my family situation (which is amazing to me given the years that go by in between contacts)...this last add-on was for 70 SSR points...he did pitch Poly (and made some very good points), but I decided on SSR and he was fine w/my decision...didn't push at all...he's never told me anything "wrong" (and I read these boards, and other boards, too, so I'm probably better informed than most altho by no means do I know "everything")...he doesn't "over-promise"--admits it up front if it's something he can't do (like getting me an "impossible" reservation this last time I bought points)...have I raved enough? He's SO not like what you-all have described ...he's really great...yes, I do trust him.

I've considered starting a thread regarding this same subject. We had our DVC tour at the beginning of this month and insisted on purchasing BCV points as we'll mainly be heading to WDW for RunDisney events. Our guide found points and set us up to buy 50 points. A couple hours later she called saying the points couldn't be purchased by someone living in CA as they weren't deeded for our state. We found the whole thing incredibly sketchy. She had us wait a few days and then we were somewhat forced to get those points at Poly in order to not lose our guide hold for Marathon weekend in January. She also informed us that she was leaving for a ten day cruise and that we'd see what became available while she was gone and that we'd rewrite the contract at that point. She mentioned end of June/beginning of July, so we're just waiting.... Does this seem legit? Are members ever permitted to request a new guide? Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated!

That's actually not a line although I don't know specifically about BCV and CA now. DVC has to license to sell each individual timeshare and they do not keep the licenses up in all states after they sold out. In the case of some of the older resorts they might never have licensed to sell in all states. You can look online and see what properties are registered for sales by DVC. They were licensed for BCV in CA approx 8 years ago because I had them use my husbands work address for a small add on since they were not licensed in Nevada (never had been from what I could tell). But as I mentioned they don't keep licenses going forever from what I've seen and some resorts you just have to purchase while at WDW.

I'll second Bumbershoot about run Disney. Epcot resorts are not required nor even the best IMO in many cases.

Wasn't sure if I should start a new thread or not...I'm trying to contact our guide, Ricardo Florez. Would someone be able to PM me his email address?

Thanks!

Don't be shy in strarting a new thread. You might have better luck.

That's actually not a line although I don't know specifically about BCV and CA now. DVC has to license to sell each individual timeshare and they do not keep the licenses up in all states after they sold out. In the case of some of the older resorts they might never have licensed to sell in all states. You can look online and see what properties are registered for sales by DVC. They were licensed for BCV in CA approx 8 years ago because I had them use my husbands work address for a small add on since they were not licensed in Nevada (never had been from what I could tell). But as I mentioned they don't keep licenses going forever from what I've seen and some resorts you just have to purchase while at WDW.

I'll second Bumbershoot about run Disney. Epcot resorts are not required nor even the best IMO in many cases.

That's reassuring to hear, but she did not say that BCV was a definite no. In fact when I spoke with her yesterday, she said she'd work on getting BCV points in the next couple weeks. Could it just be certain points are unavailable to California buyers...?

It seems the Epcot resorts are the most desirable for RunDisney events as they book up incredibly quickly for those weekends. I would definitely be interested in hearing a different perspective though. Which DVC resorts have you found best for RunDisney-specifically the 1/2 and full marathon? Thank you for any additional information!

Our original guide left, the new one we were assigned lives in Hawaii....we live in Ohio.

So...we really don't know if we trust him or not since we can never really get a hold of him to talk.

We have been incredibly spoiled by the DLR RunDisney events and much prefer walking back to our room after races even if it involves walking through Epcot. The pool is also a huge draw to own at BCV. I'm considering BLT from a value standpoint and CCV or BRV for theme, but BCV is really our preference.

As long as you know it's just a preference and not a requirement. :)

Remember you'll have to have admission, and if you're not planning on Epcot that day it'll need to be a hopper.

We've stayed all over for rundisney events, and have no "one perfect place". Everything is a bus ride away, which doesn't involve walking all the way.

It was 2006 when we purchased so I don't think Bay Lake, or even AKV were online then. Not sure what was available then. I think

Well you mentioned wishing you had waited. So either you would have found out about resale, waited until the other resorts were announced and for sale, or you would have waited and ended up paying more for the resort you bought. :)

We originally had SSR in our sights then bought bay lake (just after we would have been on the members plaque at BL, the plaque with the big misspelling on it lol). Our guide, the stinker, knew exactly the selling cost of SSR from our original meeting and how much more we were paying than if we'd bought at first.

Yes. Of course all I expected was if I gave him cash I'd get points. Worked perfectly. (No, I don't believe the "my guide is my friend" stories. I have a friend who is a guide, trust me his friendship with people he sold to has a motive. He's not my guide and I knew him long before he joined DVC)

Question = Would you accept what a used car salesman was just telling you if they changed his name to 'Mobility Advisor ?
Why then do people take as gospel what a timeshare salesperson is telling them just because they are called 'guide' ?
It is total BS.

Question = Would you accept what a used car salesman was just telling you if they changed his name to 'Mobility Advisor ?
Why then do people take as gospel what a timeshare salesperson is telling them just because they are called 'guide' ?
It is total BS.

Disney is good at renaming and it works. They study and use psychology to increase sales.

:earsboy: Bill

I never thought of a "guide" like a used car dealer. But I'll keep that in mind. But when I buy in, it will be with resale, so I know I would still get one, even though I really wouldn't need one.

I never thought of a "guide" like a used car dealer. But I'll keep that in mind. But when I buy in, it will be with resale, so I know I would still get one, even though I really wouldn't need one.
DVC timeshare sales are a cut above but in general, Timeshare Salespeople have to come up to get to the level of used car salespeople.

I am curious -- is there anything against people mentioning/discussing guides they like/don't like? I am sure with a large community such as this -- if there was a thread of DVC guides it could potentially help weed out some of the lack luster guides. There are probably plenty who come and go, but i would also imagine that there are a few who are long standing and work well for both the buyer and DVC.

I have Don Deal as my guide -- just the name sounds cheesy. I have only corresponded via email when i was inquiring about adding on to our AKV contract. Even with a specific question on available UY, price per point and small amount of points he ignored my questions only sent the generic info on pricing for the resorts currently for sale. It kind of put me off and i didn't really look into it any further.

Last edited:
I am curious -- is there anything against people mentioning/discussing guides they like/don't like? I am sure with a large community such as this -- if there was a threat of DVC guides it could potentially help weed out some of the lack luster guides. There are probably plenty who come and go, but i would also imagine that there are a few who are long standing and work well for both the buyer and DVC.

I have Don Deal as my guide -- just the name sounds cheesy. I have only corresponded via email when i was inquiring about adding on to our AKV contract. Even with a specific question on available UY, price per point and small amount of points he ignored my questions only sent the generic info on pricing for the resorts currently for sale. It kind of put me off and i didn't really look into it any further.
They are not supposed to communicate by email at all and have to be very careful when they do. I wouldn't form an opinion based on email in this situation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter