Driving to Florida soon from Ontario, worried and scared

tigercat

<font color=magenta>Cook, clean and foot massage.
My two son's (both 36) and I will be driving to Florida from Ontario, Canada in Oct. After reading, listening and watching the news I am worried and scared about driving through the States. Going down on I75 and coming back along I77 and I79. With no gas in parts of Georgia, and all the violence going on is scaring me. With all the negativity all around I am worried that we might come upon it. With all the guns and people shooting and getting shot, it seems like it is a war zone. I realize that not all the States are like that but some of the areas that we will have to travel through have or are having a lot of trouble.

We can't afford to fly the 3 of us down to Florida so that is out. Is it really that bad? Some of the information I am getting is from people that actually live in some of the States that we are going through, so not all information is from the news.

tigercat

You gotta love the news media. They show stuff over and over and over. Trust me, it is not that bad. Sure, I wouldn't stop in Detroit at midnight in downtown, but just like anything else, take it with a grain of salt. You should be just fine. Just do what you do at home while driving, just common sense.

It's perspective. Ignore the news. If your looking for the bad, you are going to find it (stories, worries, talk, "news").
Two years ago, my 17yo and her 18yo cousin drove to Florida for a girls only vacation. Nothing was different then. They used common sense and did just fine, so will your family.

We just did the drive down and up I75 about a month ago. This was a third time in about five years. No difference other than more construction. You will be fine! It is actually easier to drive because there is a lot more signs, rest areas and places to eat and get gas along the way then here. People were very friendly and nice. The scenery is amazing too, especially (for me) in Kentucky and Tennessee.

I live along I-75. We have gas...I just bought some when I was running errands this morning AND it is not a war zone.

Seriously OP, if that is the feeling you have and how you are interpreting the news, it would be much less stressful to stay home. I was also in Disney Monday-Wednesady for a work conference and all is well.

My two son's (both 36) and I will be driving to Florida from Ontario, Canada in Oct. After reading, listening and watching the news I am worried and scared about driving through the States. Going down on I75 and coming back along I77 and I79. With no gas in parts of Georgia, and all the violence going on is scaring me. With all the negativity all around I am worried that we might come upon it. With all the guns and people shooting and getting shot, it seems like it is a war zone. I realize that not all the States are like that but some of the areas that we will have to travel through have or are having a lot of trouble.

We can't afford to fly the 3 of us down to Florida so that is out. Is it really that bad? Some of the information I am getting is from people that actually live in some of the States that we are going through, so not all information is from the news.

tigercat

Oh, c'mon.

Step away from the news and maybe start looking into some ways to manage your worries/anxiety. What you're describing is not normal for a rational adult--you're inventing a crisis where none exists. Do you sincerely think the entire right half of the US is an apocalyptic wasteland? That 200+ million people really aren't going about their lives as normal right now?

I have a friend in Georgia. They have been out of gas for their cars, the gas stations have been out. It was heard first hand from someone who lives there. Also, we will be going through Charlotte which is having riots now. I have driven this route several times but not in the last couple of years. This is the first time I have been worried because of all the stuff that has been going on in the States in the last year.

I do not expect everyone to have a gun but then when you see the pictures of people out with guns you wonder how many will have them. We will of course be careful and use common sense but the atmosphere in the States seems disjointed. On my last cruise in January when a few people found out we were Canadians they wanted to tell me how we should be excited that a certain person might be President. They were not happy when I wouldn't talk to them. It was intimidating as I was by myself at the time.

tigercat

Oh, lay off everyone. If I recall, the OP is older (no offence OP) and she has a right to be worried. While I agree, she's not likely to encounter mobs in the streets, I worry about guns every time I go to the States.

OP, you should be fine..especially since you'll have your sons with you.

There is no reason to worry. This is what the news media wants you to do. Just enjoy your vacation.

Oh, lay off everyone. If I recall, the OP is older (no offence OP) and she has a right to be worried. While I agree, she's not likely to encounter mobs in the streets, I worry about guns every time I go to the States.

Thanks for understanding.
tigercat

'Pipeline is fixed, gas supply should return to normal in coming days''.

The United States is huge! There may be a concentrated few areas of news stories (and the news loves to exaggerate those stories), but overwhelmingly people across the country are living their lives in boring, uneventful ways.

I live outside NYC and have my entire life. I've never seen anyone with a gun before.

And on the flip side, I live in rural Indiana. I see guns on a very regular basis, hear them even more often. Can't think of the last time we had a gun death in our area, certainly no robberies at gunpoint or gangs or mobs or threats. Last gun I saw (outside family) was when I went to the laundromat to wash some rugs: there was a very tall, muscle bound, long-haired, tatted-up guy folding his kid's underoos. Didn't feel threatened in the least. lol.

I'm sorry, but no. It's a ridiculous worry. I live in the States and I have literally never seen a gun in my day to day life (except on police officers of course).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter