DVC Point Rental Primer

This has all been awesome information and it looks like we will try this renting thing. I understand that i add the dining plan at any time, but should so as soon as we know we want it and that the owner adds that to the reservation and we pay for when we check in. My question is, are you able to book any of the dining plans or just the DDP?? The basic "plus dining" that we used our first trip is all our family would need, the deluxe would just be too much for our young family at this time.

Thanks!

This has all been awesome information and it looks like we will try this renting thing. I understand that i add the dining plan at any time, but should so as soon as we know we want it and that the owner adds that to the reservation and we pay for when we check in. My question is, are you able to book any of the dining plans or just the DDP?? The basic "plus dining" that we used our first trip is all our family would need, the deluxe would just be too much for our young family at this time.

Thanks!

The rules have changed since this thread was started. You must now pay for the dining plans at the time they are added to the reservation, via credit card of gift card. The DVC owner has to add the plans to the reservation for you, the easiest way is probably to pre-pay the DVC owner via check, money order, or Disney gift card and have them add the dining plan. They could also do a 3 way call, but be aware that the owner would them be able to hear your Credit Card info.

The owner may add the Quick Service dining plan, Standard Dining Plan, or Deluxe Dining Plan to your reservation.

The rules have changed since this thread was started. You must now pay for the dining plans at the time they are added to the reservation, via credit card of gift card. The DVC owner has to add the plans to the reservation for you, the easiest way is probably to pre-pay the DVC owner via check, money order, or Disney gift card and have them add the dining plan. They could also do a 3 way call, but be aware that the owner would them be able to hear your Credit Card info.

The owner may add the Quick Service dining plan, Standard Dining Plan, or Deluxe Dining Plan to your reservation.

I did the dining plan for a renter last December. She was a repeat renter, she trusted me so much she gave me her cc number to add the dining plan for her.

Now that is trust.

What would nice, is if there was another board or site where people could post their experiences renting from members here, like a referral board, I have rented out my points on 4 occasions in the past to 4 separate people (I've been a DVC owner since 97) so it's not like this is a business like some people seem to have. And I'm sure that I did everything possible I could do to make these peoples vacation a great success. And thanks to the rental board here it was very easy to do and the response was great from my postings.

It would have been nice to have the location where these people could post their satisfaction, so in the future when I decide to rent out points again, I can easily point to their posts so that people get a feel from who rented and feel assured that they've rented from an honest person. Kinda like that site "Angie's list" where people can find reputable repair people.

What would nice, is if there was another board or site where people could post their experiences renting from members here, like a referral board, I have rented out my points on 4 occasions in the past to 4 separate people (I've been a DVC owner since 97) so it's not like this is a business like some people seem to have. And I'm sure that I did everything possible I could do to make these peoples vacation a great success. And thanks to the rental board here it was very easy to do and the response was great from my postings.

It would have been nice to have the location where these people could post their satisfaction, so in the future when I decide to rent out points again, I can easily point to their posts so that people get a feel from who rented and feel assured that they've rented from an honest person. Kinda like that site "Angie's list" where people can find reputable repair people.

It's too easy to fake those. Especially when you have scamming as your target.

That's one reason why we recommend the potential renter look at the posts the owner who is renting out their points has posted. Gives them an idea of who they might be renting from.

As the owner, you can give any potential renter a reference from one of those who have successfully rented from your.

I'm very thankful to every person who has been a part of this thread. The information is very helpful and hopefully sometime soon our family will be able to try DVC instead of rack rates.

I am a 'newbie' to this but normally how many points does a studio call for? Sorry if I asking on the wrong thread....I'll keep looking though...my brain gets overwhelmed with all the information! Maybe I can get directed somehow:confused:

I am a 'newbie' to this but normally how many points does a studio call for?

At the top of this page is a link: "DVC Point Charts." This will tell you the per night cost of a studio at the different resorts and in different seasons. There are some big differences between resorts and between seasons. The weekly amounts listed do not offer any savings; they are just there as a convenient reference.
Good luck!

Sorry if its already been posted, i'm new but similar to adding a meal plan at time of reservation, what about park tickets? can those be added then or does the renter just get those separately, directly from disney?

thanks. new to all of this and its a little overwhelming. planning first trip for October.

Sorry if its already been posted, i'm new but similar to adding a meal plan at time of reservation, what about park tickets? can those be added then or does the renter just get those separately, directly from disney?

thanks. new to all of this and its a little overwhelming. planning first trip for October.

Since DVC members don't purchase packages that include tickets, they buy their tickets when they get to WDW or from an official reseller. You'd have to buy your own.

Where can a renter look at their reservation by entering the confirmation # and last name?

Hello all.

First, thank you very much for this wonderful thread! I had never considered renting points before, but after reading this thread I feel it might not be a bad idea!

Just a quick question. I'm sure I missed something along the way, but where does one search for someone to rent points from? As I said this is the first time I'm ever trying this so I'm a bit clueless.

Thanks so much for all your help!

edit: apologies, I found it! I clearly hadn't looked while logged in. Sorry!

Hello all.

First, thank you very much for this wonderful thread! I had never considered renting points before, but after reading this thread I feel it might not be a bad idea!

Just a quick question. I'm sure I missed something along the way, but where does one search for someone to rent points from? As I said this is the first time I'm ever trying this so I'm a bit clueless.

Thanks so much for all your help!

edit: apologies, I found it! I clearly hadn't looked while logged in. Sorry!

For those not so knowledgeable as you, the Rent/Trade Board under DVC Boards. Or you can use David's service.

Question for the DVC experts please! I have rented points several times, most recently for a stay starting Jan 7th. When the member originally booked for us, we had Kidani for the first night and BWV for the rest of the week, with BWV waitlisted for the 7th. That waitlist came through a couple months later. My question is this: I tried to do online check-in today and it now says our reservation has been cancelled. Previously, the reservation showed up under upcoming trips on the WDW site but no longer does. When I try to retrieve reservation, it says the confirmation number no longer exists. I did contact our member, and she said it is because it is considered a split stay and you cannot do online check-in. It is fine with me if we can't do online check-in, but it is a little bit worrisome to me that is says our reservation has been cancelled. Now, this member has been wonderful through the entire rental process, even e-mailing me last week just to be sure we received our ME tags and asking if we need anything. I do not think she would cancel our reservation. I just wish there was some way I could confirm the reservation still exists....any suggestions?

Thanks,
Ami

Question for the DVC experts please! I have rented points several times, most recently for a stay starting Jan 7th. When the member originally booked for us, we had Kidani for the first night and BWV for the rest of the week, with BWV waitlisted for the 7th. That waitlist came through a couple months later. My question is this: I tried to do online check-in today and it now says our reservation has been cancelled. Previously, the reservation showed up under upcoming trips on the WDW site but no longer does. When I try to retrieve reservation, it says the confirmation number no longer exists. I did contact our member, and she said it is because it is considered a split stay and you cannot do online check-in. It is fine with me if we can't do online check-in, but it is a little bit worrisome to me that is says our reservation has been cancelled. Now, this member has been wonderful through the entire rental process, even e-mailing me last week just to be sure we received our ME tags and asking if we need anything. I do not think she would cancel our reservation. I just wish there was some way I could confirm the reservation still exists....any suggestions?

Thanks,
Ami

There isn't any way for you to confirm once the travel plan number was modified by the wait list coming through, there is a problem with Disney's system. You either trust the owner or you don't. Maybe the money that you saved renting isn't worth your concern and anxiety, renting isn't for everybody. :goodvibes

:earsboy: Bill.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter