Effective DVC Point Rental Agreements

Not having read through this entire thread, may I ask if is there an updated (and agreed upon) version to the one posted by WebMasterDoc on 8-25-05?

Most of what I have seen is discussion on the validity & legalese of the sample contracts' phrasing. I am not an attorney so I have no opinion on any argument posted, however I would like to protect my interests.

Any suggestions?

Not having read through this entire thread, may I ask if is there an updated (and agreed upon) version to the one posted by WebMasterDoc on 8-25-05?

Most of what I have seen is discussion on the validity & legalese of the sample contracts' phrasing. I am not an attorney so I have no opinion on any argument posted, however I would like to protect my interests.

Any suggestions?
I think the most important mindset to have about contracts is that they are most helpful when they clearly set out the expectations of both parties. THAT is where most difficulties arise in the first place -- one or both parties not really understanding all of the possible ramifications and consequences of the transactions.

Realistically, to enforce a contract, you would have to hire an attorney, sue the other party, prevail in court, and then probably take additional action to try to actually collect any money judgement. That obviously would not come cheap. It's doubtful if enforcing a contract is really cost-effective for a rental of $1,000-$3,000, and certainly not for a smaller amount.

You don't pay for dining or park tickets until you arrive at the resort. You would pay the front desk for them once you arrive. HTH.
You don't have to, but you can purchase park tickets prior to arrival and you should save some money doing it that way.

Do anyone have (or know of) an official list of DVC rules ? Have rented a reservation to a non-member and they are requesting an official set of rules but I don't have (or know where to find) one ?

Thanks,

Chris

Do anyone have (or know of) an official list of DVC rules ? Have rented a reservation to a non-member and they are requesting an official set of rules but I don't have (or know where to find) one ?

Thanks,

Chris

You set the official rules for the reservation as the owner. You should have a copy of the Public Offering Statement that tells you about notifying MS if you are receiving compensation for your reservation. Non-members are not entitled to any DVC perks (heck, DVC members aren't getting that many any more) UNLESS they are staying with the member on the member's reservation.

The reservation is owned by you. If the non-member doesn't like those terms, they need to rent elsewhere.

They cannot communicate with MS for any reason. They cannot change the reservation. They cannot add or removed DDP from the reservation. They cannot set up Magical Express. As the owner, only you can do this.

You probably need to get a little more familiar with your timeshare before you rent it out.

You set the official rules for the reservation as the owner. You should have a copy of the Public Offering Statement that tells you about notifying MS if you are receiving compensation for your reservation. Non-members are not entitled to any DVC perks (heck, DVC members aren't getting that many any more) UNLESS they are staying with the member on the member's reservation.

The reservation is owned by you. If the non-member doesn't like those terms, they need to rent elsewhere.

They cannot communicate with MS for any reason. They cannot change the reservation. They cannot add or removed DDP from the reservation. They cannot set up Magical Express. As the owner, only you can do this.

You probably need to get a little more familiar with your timeshare before you rent it out.

Thanks for the reply. I'm familiar with the rules or renting, but was just trying to see if there was anything else (other than the POS) out here.

I've stressed that other than the items mentioned above with regard to contacting MS or changing the ressie that there isn't anything different from a rules standpoint staying at DVC as opposed to a regular hotel. Meaning you must follow the hotel rules, you're responsible for room charges, you're responsible for any damage to the unit - the common sense stuff.

Chris

Thanks for the reply. I'm familiar with the rules or renting, but was just trying to see if there was anything else (other than the POS) out here.

I've stressed that other than the items mentioned above with regard to contacting MS or changing the ressie that there isn't anything different from a rules standpoint staying at DVC as opposed to a regular hotel. Meaning you must follow the hotel rules, you're responsible for room charges, you're responsible for any damage to the unit - the common sense stuff.

Chris
From your posts, it's not at all clear what information your customer is looking for. I think I'd ask your renter specifically what information they want.

If it's stuff like charging to the room, onsite resort perks, etc, I'd tell them to call the resort front desk and find out directly from them.

If they are wondering about DVC cancellation policies and other things about account management, that's really irrelevant because they are not engaged in a transaction with DVC. They are renting from you, and DVC rules concerning your account have nothing to do with them.

From everything I've read, it looks like transferring points for compensation is not allowed but that renting is. At while this seemed odd at first, one explanation might be that renting of points may bring non-owners to a property but transfers won't. Disney aren't dumb. They know a marketing opportunity whey they see one.

Morning All,

Wow! I've now ploughed through pages of stuff about renting out DVC points and have found lots of useful info altho I think I have slightly frazzled my small brain and am now on my second cup of tea :surfweb:!

We have been DVC members since 2001 and have managed to use our points for ourselves since that time but after a big blow-out, expensive three-week trip to the East Coast last year we couldn't afford the flights this year to get back to WDW. We are in the process of booking for 2010 but have 78points that will expire before we go and thought this rental malarkey might be just the thing (and will help the bank balance a little) :yay:!

We have a couple of concerns tho: there are several warnings about dealing with DIS newbies, as we are. We lurk on a few Disney forums but seldom post. What references would you look for as a renter? We could throw a load of inane posts in here to up our count but obviously that's not the idea!

Also, as we are from the jolly Kingdom of England does this have any bearing on our ability to rent out points? Have fellow Brits had any problems? Would our American chums shy away from overseas rentals?

Are we also right in thinking that all rentals go through this site? ie. we couldn't find a separate one for UK DVC'ers.

Okay, off to check flights for our next trip :santa:!

Happy belated Crimbo!

Graham & Denise

This is very helpful information! I am new to renting points and value the advice greatly!
Courtney:)

Graham & Denise,

I've just finished reading the entire thread and I am in the same situation. I have 70 points "extra" this year. Did you ever find an answer to your newbie question? or rent your points? Thanks. Cindy

We have a couple of concerns tho: there are several warnings about dealing with DIS newbies, as we are. We lurk on a few Disney forums but seldom post. What references would you look for as a renter? We could throw a load of inane posts in here to up our count but obviously that's not the idea!

The warnings are not specifically about new posters - the intended emphasis was about renters feeling comfortable with an internet stranger before sending them money. Reviewing past posts can be a good way to get a feel about what type of person they might be. You would need to make your own decision about the value of participating in the DIS community in order to improve your ability to financially benefit from renting your DVC points.

The few problems that have ever occured on our site have been with posters with low point counts who mostly participated only on the Rent/Trade Board. The renters involved were dealing with posters who were not participants in discussions on the DIS and they chose not to ask for and verify any references and some even sent money by Western Union to a complete stranger and later found they had no reservation. Some were able to get their money back - others did not.

Also, as we are from the jolly Kingdom of England does this have any bearing on our ability to rent out points? Have fellow Brits had any problems? Would our American chums shy away from overseas rentals?

Where you live should not have any effect on your ability to rent as long as the renter is comfortable sending money to a total stranger. We have a number of members from other countries who successfully use the Rent/Trade Board to rent DVC reservations.

Are we also right in thinking that all rentals go through this site? ie. we couldn't find a separate one for UK DVC'ers.

Yes, all DVC rentals on the DIS are accomplished via our DVC Rent/Trade Board. Rentals are not allowed on any other forums on the DIS.

Graham & Denise,

I've just finished reading the entire thread and I am in the same situation. I have 70 points "extra" this year. Did you ever find an answer to your newbie question? or rent your points? Thanks. Cindy

Just offer to make a reservation by submitting a thread with the "Points for Rent" title and see what happens. I would certainly do anything possible to make potential renters comfortable with their rental and comfortable with you as the one providing their vacation accommodations.

Cheers Doc, thought this thread had been abandoned ;)

We've just booked our Disney trip for this coming October which will be after our 78 points run out and looking at our finances the extra bit of cash from renting out those points would be very welcome :rolleyes:.

So in reply to Cindy above, we'll have to sit down one evening or this weekend and get a post on the rental site and see what happens.

We'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for the help :yay:.

Graham & Denise

Thanks for all the great information.

We haven't been able to use our DVC due to an addition to our family and have points that could expire before we get a chance to go and use them all. Renting seems like a viable option.

I hope potential renters will consider that written verification more than the "newbie" status.

Jenn

I have just started out checking about renting DVC points and I must say I had no idea. But after several hours split between a couple sessions I have alot of good information. I am still a bit jittery as I read about the couple who lost $850.00 a few years back but I will keep gathering info until I feel more confident. All you posters and of course you moderators are the best!

Thanks for sharing!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter