• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Everything you need to know about MagicBands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disneyland veteran making our first WDW trip in over 15 years...

We are staying on site, so our trip includes Magic Bands. We found some Limited Editions and Limited Release bands that we liked. We have the bands and have properly linked them to specific individuals using the MDX app.

Now my questions...
Under what circumstances do guests decline their magic bands as part of a resort stay? Do they credit your account for the cost of the band if you decline? Is there any downside to having the duplicate bands as backups in case we lose our LE/LR bands?

I understand the band has a passive component that is used for near field scans for park admission, FP+ and as a room key. There is also a long range component that is used for ride photos. Is this long range scan/identification used for anything else?

We will be able to tell rather quickly if the short range identification is working and registered properly when we get into the park or open the door to our room. Do CMs have any ability to test the long range scan/identification short of actually trying it on the ride? I'd hate to miss out on a 7DMT photo because my MagicBand battery died prematurely.

When do I get to assign a PIN to my MagicBand/account for room charges? Can this be done via the MDX app or website? Or do I need to do this at the front desk?

Can I set different charging limits to different members of my family? Can this be done via MDX app or website? Or do I need to do this at the front desk?

1. Under what circumstances do guests decline their magic bands as part of a resort stay?
2. Do they credit your account for the cost of the band if you decline?
3. Is there any downside to having the duplicate bands as backups in case we lose our LE/LR bands?
4. I understand the band has a passive component that is used for near field scans for park admission, FP+ and as a room key.
5. There is also a long range component that is used for ride photos.
6. Is this long range scan/identification used for anything else?
7. We will be able to tell rather quickly if the short range identification is working and registered properly when we get into the park or open the door to our room.
8. Do CMs have any ability to test the long range scan/identification short of actually trying it on the ride?
9. I'd hate to miss out on a 7DMT photo because my MagicBand battery died prematurely.
10. When do I get to assign a PIN to my MagicBand/account for room charges?
11. Can this be done via the MDX app or website?
12. Or do I need to do this at the front desk?
13. Can I set different charging limits to different members of my family?
14. Can this be done via MDX app or website?
15. Or do I need to do this at the front desk?

1. If you have MBs and don't want additional MBs.
2. No.
3. No.
4. Yes.
5. Yes.
6. Yes. There are a very, very few "interactive features" that can sometimes
appear during an attraction experience. (i.e. Guest's first name pops up on a screen.)
These are often not in service.
Some long-range RFID uses are not "guest-centric." It is also used by Disney for "guest research."
7. Yes.
8. No.
9. I'd say less than 5% chance of that happening.
10. Likely now. If not, a few weeks before your trip.
11. Either.
12. No.
13. Yes.
14. No.
15. Yes.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if there is a way to get current information (a full list or pictures) on the custom MB designs available at the D-Tech Store in the MarketPlace Co-Op store at Disney Springs?

Robo, thanks for looking out for me. Appreciate your quick response.

Part of my Magic Band education comes from this article:
https://www.wired.com/2015/03/disney-magicband/

...and a couple of interesting tear down videos.

The article mentions being greeted in advance by a dining greeter/hostess. They also talk about a "homing beacon" to help get your food delivered.

What else is the long range identification used for?

We were staying at Aulani a short while back. Staying at a water themed resort makes you appreciate just how convenient it is to find folks in your party with a quick text. Since iPhones and saltwater don't play well together, we left the phone in the room. Oh how I wished we could use the Magic Bands to go to a kiosk and find the last known location for folks in our party. ;)

We go to AK the day before we check in to POP. We will use our Magicbands for park tickets and FP, but can we charge on it before check in?

1. What else is the long range identification used for?
2. Oh how I wished we could use the Magic Bands to go to a kiosk and find the last known location for folks in our party. ;)

1. A very, very few "guest interactions" during a very, very, few rides.
(Like a guest's first name popping up on a screen as the guest rides by.)
They had plans for a short time for a multitude of "interactive uses" on rides,
but they abandoned virtually all of that before much was done.
Otherwise, Disney can still use if for "guest research."

2. Yup. But, no tracking of guests is interfaced for guest use.

1. A very, very few "guest interactions" during a very, very, few rides.
(Like a guest's first name popping up on a screen as the guest rides by.)
They had plans for a short time for a multitude of "interactive uses" on rides,
but they abandoned virtually all of that before much was done.
Otherwise, Disney can still use if for "guest research."

Thanks for giving me the idea to search:
http://wdwnt.com/blog/2016/09/walt-disney-world-quietly-disables-magicband-interactivity-rides/

Looks like what Universal did on their ET ride, but with higher tech:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E.T._Adventure
...in the case of ET, someone would ask your name and type it in as you boarded the ride.

What else is the long range identification used for?

On-ride automatic PhotoPass like on 7DMT. Special scenes with your name on them like in the Rock N Roller Coaster queue posters or at the end of It's a Small World. Can be used if a child gets lost. Just a few of the things...

I did a search for 'clear' on this thread, no hits.

I opened the box that has been sitting here for a few weeks with MB's for our trip next week. These are the first version 2's we have had. Inside the box, in the space below the bands themselves, there were an equal number of clear, very flat bands with slots in them. What are they for?

I did a search for 'clear' on this thread, no hits.

I opened the box that has been sitting here for a few weeks with MB's for our trip next week. These are the first version 2's we have had. Inside the box, in the space below the bands themselves, there were an equal number of clear, very flat bands with slots in them. What are they for?

That is weird. I have two sets (split stay) that arrived a few days apart a couple of weeks ago and they don't have anything like that.

zmRy7fxyS1aO5PYfuVH8CQjsldhQ0XYYLlYO-dnGE0VUtsw-SYYNpzkrfghGUVjvWOQVpPKWgwmasXEFwrdUtWlE_Nx36Yu6sI-cs3994lue9BedQYdbIvnONZrjeeQC-JOHJGeXXx7EUq4HziwIXScn8ggfXZBWLrhP2m_CVgqNNWoTZvLIsarlWADfOGD8tzCFKTsCy8FwE0wfHSgyDUSy2thez-Lv25ty4TeKl3mXFi2x0kuLnkUz-OYRKxIlYyAzP-Tdo_kAtLPved_4X8ClrxgbF8X7sPCL_-Z8xFJoEbTTbkAgHHF4lPQ96myiTgJUnrPkpb1NU8DHWAId5yPFenPE4fT6F7I8Ls_aqLCd1tODXADzBfBH0bIbVp9V6cmL6Fr4skkYAP8SBJPHRA8N7av91MVM7Td1Mc0KAymnnK6FJ1Q_2nI79o20t7ImGONFJiBDzi6lt2MUp_roRAjEWc3JXp3Zqkn9bPESBBGu3ShB1c2A9LqfT4pTbgKqy2FDX3z_K85BQfRfj31XZ2Pb_bEHOFDwynO5Yd396aSOLiXcUipLL7x-9IjOci0gGfwK-x_HYtxaOAtMTQD_qNrhcelJhIaUDjppNOOXbwcM8xRY6HawfQ=w1720-h968-no

VgI5TxUz-_JlYiC2N3gRoaNQ8xpvmAQEK2QdBC3yoszrHm_hVEm-JrwlvwtANKqQfBvDmbS_DkK-2LrDsfTlM3HBF3HJ9TfysoZ8-WfkaMbGSJoEb2uSFmzFs03UgcCO4wdVTug9BFHNlGYbCFniDXNVDOjjU_7LDGJ3Yxd8FjzYl_mXRC7jzyZSfoHGdvqKB2tWhkVF7bUpkItJgyfch1W9X6eL9C-P3Qa_mgIqNPDXBQS5x16JjKyGxSeWSVF2QIC2V2LuPmm11aX5Vy8-e7wOqCwulwdqBgToK9ys-LNYRh3VHZNeDf-QEUxNl6sDKCvmM_oK0ET4KV0891hflSs8wC2pxTHalN3tcDVRUc99BSCNn0XfSHMtqJ7dJ2KJRLxFhc-IEtIRM9j4CcqdmimG7vMV4coPNnR79PhXNR_wwL5ZaC_hBPivrJz6jGQi6FbzuJfn7oiFWZKcEHlLVRcFcMSiaCFynVZIw7l-wYD9jKc3E1g06PF_Zufevu_oa3dV31_Gr1ZVgmHqdw3C0ODX67Gtxpe7irWC7apr3H8THz5QO1QBKDOikF41rhg53BOhGqwWwh01jxUOEY2BH_Yj5ukQJkz4yKxUATvv6tNZf2PB8AQDx-WCxw=w1720-h968-no

Those clear strips hold the luggage tags to your luggage. There are luggage tags in the box too.
Oh, I see. No tags as we are staying at the Swan, no ME. Surprised they were in there, plus no mention of what they were.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter