Exclusive unlimited front of line access for hotel guests is OVER

1) Why would anyone stay at the Universal hotels now? $300 a night for what? Wait I forgot you get a boat ride to the park...how special.
2) The express lines will now be just as long if not longer than the standby lines. This is because you have the hotel people, regular express pass holders and VIP pass holders all jumping in the express line.

We are canceling our hotel reservations and tacking three days onto the other hotel we were staying at anyway. Then we will just buy the VIP passes.

Stupid Universal.

First I really don't think these tickets will have much of an impact on the Express lines. For most people, as proven in the above examples it's not really cost effective.

Second, I stay at the onsite hotels for more than just the FOTL. Yes it is the best perk for staying on site but I also find the hotels to be exceptional. I think the service I receive is top notch. I love the convenience of being within walking distance of the parks and City Walk. I love the ability to easily return to the hotel for a mid-afternoon break. I think onsite allows for a more laid back vacation.

So basically I'm willing to pay a few dollars more a night for everything staying on site gives me, including the fabulous FOTL. Just my .02

These passes have been out since almost the beggining of this year. Since you have to do an online advanced purchace that narrows down the people right there. Then they do not advertise it except on the website page for express. Then even this pass is no good for my family since we are all AP holders. I think I will keep my 7 night stay at RPR over July 4th weekend at $142 a night. :thumbsup2

I have to agree these tickets aren't going to have that big of a impact on the onsite guest for the fact that the ones that will buy this pass will be staying offsite and will leave to go back to thier hotel when they get tired and thats it for them for the day and the onsite guest can simply go to thier room and rest and then come back and hit the parks all over agian.
So I have to say staying onsite is the better deal :thumbsup2

The one thing that hasn't been mentioned is that according to the Universal website these are not available at the gate. You need to purchase them in advance so if people don't know about it there won't be a huge mass of people buying them at the gate since they aren't available. Don't really think it will have much of an impact on the lines since the option has been around for awhile and there haven't been any complaints on these boards about the lines being longer.

I thought you could always buy the VIP pass for unlimited FOTL.
My rates for RPR this July without AAA or APH rates is $144, and at PBH its $172.
Have been staying onsite for the last 5 years and never paid anything like $300

This offer is only available online and not at the parks.

I don't see it cutting into things very much.

These passes have been out since almost the beggining of this year. Since you have to do an online advanced purchace that narrows down the people right there. Then they do not advertise it except on the website page for express.

The one thing that hasn't been mentioned is that according to the Universal website these are not available at the gate. You need to purchase them in advance so if people don't know about it there won't be a huge mass of people buying them at the gate since they aren't available. Don't really think it will have much of an impact on the lines since the option has been around for awhile and there haven't been any complaints on these boards about the lines being longer.

I think that this is a major point. So many people don't even think to check online for express passes.

1) Why would anyone stay at the Universal hotels now? $300 a night for what? Wait I forgot you get a boat ride to the park...how special.
2) The express lines will now be just as long if not longer than the standby lines. This is because you have the hotel people, regular express pass holders and VIP pass holders all jumping in the express line.

1) Because the hotels are fairly decent.

2) Still shorter than Disney's lines.

This pass has been around awhile and I haven't heard any complaints. The title is a bit misleading.

Well, look at it this way: Universal is probably offering this so the smart folks (like the ones on these boards) will do the math, and see it's actually cheaper to just stay at an onsite hotel. And then, they get your business for the onsite hotels, plus and money you spend at the hotel (food, spa, etc). Really, it's just simple marketing. Pretty smart of them, I think.

We are booked offsite (free hotel) and were planning to purchase FOTL tickets. But I'd like to be able to compare costs (as one of the previous posters did here) if we stayed on site. The problem is, the Loews website will not even allow me to input 5 people into a room to check rates. :grouphug: what can I do?

We are booked offsite (free hotel) and were planning to purchase FOTL tickets. But I'd like to be able to compare costs (as one of the previous posters did here) if we stayed on site. The problem is, the Loews website will not even allow me to input 5 people into a room to check rates. :grouphug: what can I do?

Check the rates on Universal's website. They allow you put in 5 people.
http://www.universalorlando.com/

Just call them directly and ask them for their best rate for one room, 5 guests. Then after they tell you the rate, ask for the AAA rate. Then decide. (i had to call to get the AAA rate, I couldn't access it online).

VIP Express 2 parks 2 days for (4) $960
-or-
2/7 day passes for (4) $400
-plus-
One night at RPH $250
-equals- $650.

I did not include off-site prices for lodging because I will be at the timeshare anyway. For us, this is a no-brainer. We already have ressies for the RPH Luau so why not get a room for the night to hang out in and try out while also getting the on-site FOTL for 2 days for a bunch less than purchasing the VIP Express for 2 parks/2 days.

My question is, how busy will the parks be at the end of this month?

I think the other big issue with my family is the Hotel shuffle. We only stay on-site BECAUSE of the FOTL goodness.

we only stay for a couple of days at the Universal hotels, because quite frankly after a couple of days we have ridden everything a million times and we are finished.

The rest of the time we are at the Disney parks, which take's a good week to completely and leisurely enjoy.

Now we have the option of just staying put in one hotel and not packing and repacking, tipping and re-tipping.

As far as the luxury of staying on site so you can come back to the room......why? In the 8 years we have been staying on-site we have never come back to the room. this has no bearing on our decision.

The con I can see is the fact you have to park in Tampa to get into the parks.

Personally, I don't think this is any more differant than people being allowed to purchase the pass that gets them the one ride (which was in the 30-40$ range).....it was always available to anyone at a cheaper price than the VIP one.

We have stayed on site numerous times and never seemed to feel that they sold alot of these 1 ride express pass things.

The express lines were never excessive and for the most part, you cut in front of the regular line anyway.

No matter what, you will still get on the ride quicker.

Just my 2 cents!

Very intresting this thread is.I say buy all the VIP passes you want it wont cut into my time staying on-site.The thought of driving to the parking garage waiting 20min plus to pay for parking.Then another 15min to walk to the park of your choice and standing another 15min plus just to enter.Then at the end of the day of walking walk back to the garage and put up with I-Drive traffic to get back to my timeshare or hotel.Well to me that takes alot of time out of my day.I can be lounging at the pool or getting a great dinner On-Site!!

I have been down both roads,staying on-site is a much more relaxing vacation to me.Park my car,check in and dont have to go nowhere else but have fun!!!:thumbsup2

If it is two adults and three kids, just put the 2 adults in since the three kids will not affect the price. Any adults after 2 will cost you an extra $25.

Very intresting this thread is.I say buy all the VIP passes you want it wont cut into my time staying on-site.The thought of driving to the parking garage waiting 20min plus to pay for parking.Then another 15min to walk to the park of your choice and standing another 15min plus just to enter.Then at the end of the day of walking walk back to the garage and put up with I-Drive traffic to get back to my timeshare or hotel.Well to me that takes alot of time out of my day.I can be lounging at the pool or getting a great dinner On-Site!!

I have been down both roads,staying on-site is a much more relaxing vacation to me.Park my car,check in and dont have to go nowhere else but have fun!!!:thumbsup2

PRICELESS!!!:thumbsup2

Just call them directly and ask them for their best rate for one room, 5 guests. Then after they tell you the rate, ask for the AAA rate. Then decide. (i had to call to get the AAA rate, I couldn't access it online).
We're not members of AAA, so can I get their rate? I will call them, though...thanks.
And thanks to the PP who mentioned the Universal site, I'll try that.

If it is two adults and three kids, just put the 2 adults in since the three kids will not affect the price. Any adults after 2 will cost you an extra $25.
It is three "Kids" but one of them just turned 18, so I guess technically he's an adult even if he doesn't act like it. :laughing:

We're not members of AAA, so can I get their rate? I will call them, though...thanks.
And thanks to the PP who mentioned the Universal site, I'll try that.

You can book the AAA rate, but you will have to have the AAA card when you check in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter