Favorite classic/nostalgic WDW places

LuluLovesDisney

<font color=red>If you're not outraged, you're not
WDW has seen a lot of changes....
We all know what the newest and most exciting things are, but where would you go to be reminded of the past? What places (park/resort/anywhere) have the most old school WDW charm to you?

River Country, Mizner's Lounge, the Concourse Steakhouse, the MK main street jewelry shop that used to sell various items by talented jewelry designers and now only sell Disney's blockbuster movie-themed items. Where is the variety? I still love Disney but Corporate Creep has taken over, big time.

I like to sit on a bench on Sunset Blvd at Hollywood Studios when the Citizens of Hollywood are out. That feels like old Disney World to me.
That’s a good one. I actually worked on Sunset (Beauty and the Beast and Fantasmic) when I did the CP so I would definitely agree!

River Country, Mizner's Lounge, the Concourse Steakhouse, the MK main street jewelry shop that used to sell various items by talented jewelry designers and now only sell Disney's blockbuster movie-themed items. Where is the variety? I still love Disney but Corporate Creep has taken over, big time.
That’s true...I was looking for stuff that hasn’t been creeped yet lol.

Tiki room and small world.
By the way, does anyone remember if there ever used to be a ride in the MK where you went into a sub and went under water?

Tiki room and small world.
By the way, does anyone remember if there ever used to be a ride in the MK where you went into a sub and went under water?
Yes. 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.

I'm my memory it was over by the Speedway, kind of around where 7DMT is now. I'm not sure if that's accurate.

I'm my memory it was over by the Speedway, kind of around where 7DMT is now. I'm not sure if that's accurate.

I went to DW when I was young and have vague memories of that ride. I wasn’t sure if they were imagined or not.

I went to DW when I was young and have vague memories of that ride. I wasn’t sure if they were imagined or not.

Yes! We rode it once I think when I was a kid and we had AP's. Lines were always too long and we just weren't that into it.
I'm surprised no one mentioned the Carousel of Progress. I will never not adore that thing! I think I'm going to make a t-shirt with song on it for our next trip.

That's exactly where I remember it too, sort of behind the carousel. Wasn't the toon town area there too? Or is that where the newer circus area is?

Yes! We rode it once I think when I was a kid and we had AP's. Lines were always too long and we just weren't that into it.
I'm surprised no one mentioned the Carousel of Progress. I will never not adore that thing! I think I'm going to make a t-shirt with song on it for our next trip.
I remember the really long lines too and it being too hot to be in that line.

The "There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow" song that was the original (from the World's Fair) and is in the show currently isn't the COP song of my 1970s childhood, though.

"Now is the time, now is the best time, now is the best time of your life" is the refrain that always stuck in my head.

Great thread! Carousel of Progress, Peter Pan’s Flight, and Spaceship Earth (especially the smells—also anyone remember that song “Tomorrow’s Child”?) are all my nostalgic Disney places. Also, I LOVED Horizons and I miss that ride so much. It’s a nostalgic “place” in my head. 😆

Great thread! Carousel of Progress, Peter Pan’s Flight, and Spaceship Earth (especially the smells—also anyone remember that song “Tomorrow’s Child”?) are all my nostalgic Disney places. Also, I LOVED Horizons and I miss that ride so much. It’s a nostalgic “place” in my head. 😆

I can always remember the smell of Space Ship Earth! But I’m pretty sure it’s the same smell during Pirates of The Caribbean where there’s fire. Every time I ride either of those it totally brings me back to being 10 years old and riding for the first time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter