First Adult Only Trip with a Little Bit of Kids Added In -- A Spring Break 2023 Trip

The Travel Home

The kids started heading home the night prior. They left from Hollywood Studios right after seeing Fantasmic! SO they were well on their way home when we got up to get ready to leave. There plan was to drive as much as possible with as few stops as possible. They were only stopping for breakfast, at the directors favorite spot, at Golden Correl. They ate here like 3 times on the trip and don't care to go back. Buffets are so much easier with large groups like theirs though.

We were up and out the door around 4:30ish. Our flight wasn't until 8:30 but we were really nervous about going through MCO. I have heard so many stories on how busy it is so we wanted to be early. Jeff set up to have either Uber or Lyft pick us up and take us to the airport. There were no issues here and we made it to the airport quickly.

We flew through Southwest on points and I had enough points that I splurged and got the top tier pricing (Business Select) which gave us a few perks. One was Priority Lane and Express Lane. We had one on the flight down and the other was this flight. We never figured out the going down. I think we were able go to a dedicated security line but we never figured it out. For this flight we didn't have to stand in line to check our bags. This was so nice. No one was in this line so it was supper quick.

Once we were done checking our bags we headed over to security. This area was crazy. We started to get in line when were heard that only certain flights were able to go through security and we were not one of them. We were this early to our flight. Thankfully we didn't stand in line linger then a minute or so. There were a bunch of seats here so we just waited here and people watched for 30 minutes to an hour.

Once our flight was called we got in line. The line didn't move fast but it wasn't exactly slow either. Once we got to the front we got to witness 2 people yelling at each other. Where we were they had 1 worker to 3 lines. Not the smartest move but it wasn't that bad either. One guy was yelling that it was his turn and the other yelling back in response. They both were fighting to get to the worker next. It was a bit ridiculous and scary at the same time. The 2nd guys ended up standing back and letting the more irate guy to go first. I really thought the 2 were going to get into a fist fight.

Once this drama was over it was our turn. We made it through and got in our line to the scanning area. We were not in the same line as the guys but they got in the same line. Thankfully they seemed to have settled down some.

Once through security, Jeff stopped for some McDonald's. The line wasn't moving and so I ordered on the app. This was so much faster. I did not get anything because I have this fear that I will be sick on the plane so I refuse to eat until we get to our destination.

We didn't horribly long before boarding. Though it was nuts. Lots of family boarding and no one wanting to listing that it wasn't time to line up. Jeff and I were I think 3 and 4 to board so it wasn't bad for us. Everyone was boarded quickly and off we went or so we thought.

We ended up on the tarmac for like an hour or so waiting to take off. I was getting very nervous because we only had an hour layover in Baltimore. We were also numbers 1 and 2 to board for that flight. After talking with the flight attendant about possibly missing our flight, he reassured us that the plane would wait because there were like 25 to 30 other people on our flight on the same connection. He also told us to contact Southwest to see what they can do about us paying for the more expensive seats but not getting to the gate in time at no fault of ours.

The flight itself was not bad at all but getting to the other plane was a rat race. The 2 gate could not have been further apart from each other. Since we were off first we had a little bit of a head start on others. We were the last gate on one side and the last gate all the way on the other side. We ran the whole length of that airport. They did hold the flight but it was fully boarded by then. Thankfully, Jeff and I were able to find 2 seats together. We might have been the last to.

They got us all loaded quickly and off we went. No delays or anything. We still made it back at the time we were supposed.

Jeff got an Uber or Lyft to take us home. We didn't have to wait long and the drive is only maybe 10 minutes. After getting home, I made a run to get Chipotle for lunch as it was about 1 and I was starving since I refused to eat earlier.

We tried to rest a bit but not too long after we got done eating, my in-laws were at the house to drop off Piper. She was so excited to see us but was looking for Elizabeth. The kids got home at about 5 that evening. I was so excited to see them. I got all the scoop on their drive home. It sounded like a handful of kids got sick on the drive. It sounded more like they ate too much junk and maybe more motion sickness then actually being sick.

Piper.jpg
This was Piper after she got home.

Nick Light Saber.jpg
After a little bit she zonked out.

Buses.jpg
The buses arriving

Nick.jpg
Nick souvenirs. We the ones he was must excited for. He didn't get to build one and he was bummed about that but these were still a favorite.

Piper 2.jpgThis is what Elizabeth got She got more stuff for Piper then herself. She got the leash, harness and 2 bowls with Pluto on them (a water and food dish).

I meant to have this done on Friday, but Elizabeth slammed her thumb in the car down and we ended up at the orthopedic. Thankfully we were able to make it the open clinic hours that they have. We were told it is always better to go to the ortho if you suspect a break (unless it is really bad) as they will just send you to the ortho anyways. I am glad I took her as she did break her thumb. I felt so bad because I originally told her, on the phone when she called me right after it happened, that she would be fine and it will just hurt for a bit. Once I saw it though I knew I needed to take her. It looked really bad.

Here are my thoughts on this trip.

This was a great trip. The weather could have been a bit better but it wasn't horrible either. I loved the time I had with Jeff but I did miss my kids.

All the planning and reading I did before hand defiantly helped. I had a good understanding of Genie+ and that worked in our favor. Jeff did not like it as he felt I spent too much time on my phone. It didn't bother me though. It was really only while standing in line or at the pool. He did say that if it wasn't for me, we wouldn't have been able to do all we did at such a busy time of year.

We did learn that, if you plan to stay for extra hours at night, that we need to sleep in and start later. We ended up not staying our 2 late days because we were tired. As much as I like being at rope drop, there are times that you should just wait and rest.

We loved the Swan. The location is great and it was a nice hotel and a good price range. We will defiantly stay here again.

I am a bit sad as it looks like there is a good possibility that we won't be back for a few years. With the kids heading off to college soon (Nick in the fall and Elizabeth technically will be a full time high school and college student next year but will go away to college the following fall), it is just not a good time. We will be going with our friends in a few years though. They have twin girls that just turned 2 this month. They just want to wait until they are a bit older. I am guessing we will go when they are somewhere between 5-7.

Thank you everyone for following along.

I hate when the first flight is delayed, because it adds so much stress to your connecting flight. I'm glad you were able to make it, though, and ended up arriving home at your scheduled time. Did you ever contact Southwest about getting reimbursed for not getting to use your early boarding group?

Piper is adorable!

I'm happy to hear you enjoyed the Swan! It's such a nice, quiet resort and it's crazy how much more affordable it is compared to the other Epcot resorts that are right next door.

I'm sorry to hear your next Disney trip will have to wait a few years. Sometimes, life just doesn't allow for many breaks. But how fun that you'll be going back with younger kids! Personally, I think the 5-8 age range is the ideal time to visit WDW. They will be old enough to walk and not have to be held up by long naps. Yet they will still be able to embrace the magic without much attitude! I hope you write another report when that trip happens!

Your travel home day was stressing me out. Happy it turned out okay.

Piper looks so cute in her souvenirs.

I really hope you get back sooner. Maybe one of your kids will take a semester and do the College Program.

I hate when the first flight is delayed, because it adds so much stress to your connecting flight. I'm glad you were able to make it, though, and ended up arriving home at your scheduled time. Did you ever contact Southwest about getting reimbursed for not getting to use your early boarding group?
I did. They did give us Luv vouchers but were not able to use it before the deadline. I tried to use it for Elizabeth's trip to Universal on Jan 2nd. She went with my sister and niece for a few days. I wasn't able to since I was also using points. I ended up giving it to my sister to use on her flight. This helped her out a lot and it was the least I could since she was paying for everything except Elizabeth's flight and her food.
Piper is adorable!
Thank you. I am not much of an animal person and we did not want a dog. Elizabeth put a whole Power Point together on why she should get a dog. She loves all animals. This was right after she was going through a lot mentally and she added to the power point on how much dogs help with anxiety and depression. We couldn't say no. We got really luck with Piper. We got her as a 5 year old. She is a champion show dog that they were not showing any longer. She is so quiet and well behaved. We did have to potty train her since she lived in a dog run and we taught her how to be a dog.
I'm sorry to hear your next Disney trip will have to wait a few years. Sometimes, life just doesn't allow for many breaks. But how fun that you'll be going back with younger kids! Personally, I think the 5-8 age range is the ideal time to visit WDW. They will be old enough to walk and not have to be held up by long naps. Yet they will still be able to embrace the magic without much attitude! I hope you write another report when that trip happens!
I am bummed that I have to wait a bit but it will be so much fun with the twins. I will se about writing a report. I would like to but they have not put their kids on social media at all. So I will have to see how it will work. It might just be an abbreviated one.

Your travel home day was stressing me out. Happy it turned out okay.

Piper looks so cute in her souvenirs.

I really hope you get back sooner. Maybe one of your kids will take a semester and do the College Program.
Yes, that travel day was stressful but I can flow with the punches better the Jeff can. I was more of there is nothing we can do so I didn't stress too much. Jeff on the other hand was so worked up over this. He still says he will never fly Southwest again.

I would love if one of my kids did the college program. I don't think Elizabeth will unless she can work with the horses. She is not my Disney lover or she acts like she is not. Nick on the other hand would love it. He is my Disney kid.

I ended up giving it to my sister to use on her flight. This helped her out a lot and it was the least I could since she was paying for everything except Elizabeth's flight and her food.

I'm happy to hear someone got to use the vouchers!

Thank you. I am not much of an animal person and we did not want a dog. Elizabeth put a whole Power Point together on why she should get a dog. She loves all animals. This was right after she was going through a lot mentally and she added to the power point on how much dogs help with anxiety and depression. We couldn't say no. We got really luck with Piper. We got her as a 5 year old. She is a champion show dog that they were not showing any longer. She is so quiet and well behaved. We did have to potty train her since she lived in a dog run and we taught her how to be a dog.

Thanks for sharing this story. I didn't realize you could adopt former show dogs nor that they weren't great at being dogs. Interesting.
Evie wants a pet so, so bad. She's been begging us for years, and I feel like a Powerpoint will one day be in our future, too. We used to have a dog, but when he passed my husband and I felt like it was easier to not have one with his job. Moving so much and having to find rentals that allows pets is hard!
Do you think it has made a positive impact with her anxiety? Will you keep the dog when she goes to college?

I'm happy to hear someone got to use the vouchers!

Thanks for sharing this story. I didn't realize you could adopt former show dogs nor that they weren't great at being dogs. Interesting.
Evie wants a pet so, so bad. She's been begging us for years, and I feel like a Powerpoint will one day be in our future, too. We used to have a dog, but when he passed my husband and I felt like it was easier to not have one with his job. Moving so much and having to find rentals that allows pets is hard!
Do you think it has made a positive impact with her anxiety? Will you keep the dog when she goes to college?
She loves Power Points and puts them together for just about everything. Even when it comes to looking at colleges. Elizabeth bugged us for many year and then we got Piper and she keeps trying to get to get another dog. She really needs to live on a farm when she gets her own places. She wants all the big dogs. I just don't understand why she likes the big dogs. We are both only 4 foot 9. They are as big as use. But she also wants horses.

Piper will stay here with us while she lives on campus but of she gets an apartment at some point piper will go with her. For how much we did not want a dog, I think I will miss her when that time comes.

I love the pic of Piper crashing on the floor lol! And the waterfall spot at the Swan was very cool.

Yes, that travel day was stressful but I can flow with the punches better the Jeff can. I was more of there is nothing we can do so I didn't stress too much. Jeff on the other hand was so worked up over this. He still says he will never fly Southwest again.

That sounds familiar. DH would be way more stressed than me too, no patience .

I would love if one of my kids did the college program. I don't think Elizabeth will unless she can work with the horses. She is not my Disney lover or she acts like she is not. Nick on the other hand would love it. He is my Disney kid.

My kids are the opposite. Son is not a Disney lover but the girls are. I hope he gives the program a try.

Hi Stephanie, I found you! Turns out I read this last year but probably just lurked (sorry, I do that when I am at work!) I remembered the story of your daughter having the POTS symptoms. How is she doing now? Reading about her thumb made me hurt!

We have also realized we can't get up early and rope drop AND then stay for the after-hours. It is just too much for us. We old!

Did you feel like the Swan felt like DISNEY? The location IS fantastic, but I am not sure it is "Disney" enough for me! But maybe we need to price it next time.

I like the hybrid of having an adult trip, but the kids are also nearby. That worked out well. I can't believe by now you are about to have a graduate and a senior. It makes me sad that as our kids get older it is harder to plan trips like this. So it sounds like you had one good last one!

Hi Stephanie, I found you! Turns out I read this last year but probably just lurked (sorry, I do that when I am at work!) I remembered the story of your daughter having the POTS symptoms. How is she doing now? Reading about her thumb made me hurt!
I forget to post a lot too when I am at work. I hit the quote button then get side tracked and then forget about it.

She seems to be fine. She had some issues while we re in Gatlinburg back in July. We were there for the hottest week. It seems to pop up when it is hot and she is standing for long periods of time. We did see a new cardiologist but I am not a fan. See just told her to eat more salt and drink more water. She does that and it doesn't work. I really want to just schedule a virtual visit with the doctor we had. She moved to Arizona. She hasn't has symptoms since the summer so that is good.

I can't remember if I wrote about it or not but 2 weeks after breaking her thumb she sprained her ankle doing a simple jump at baton practice. She refused to wear the boot like she should so ended up in a cast. It was a rough January.

We have also realized we can't get up early and rope drop AND then stay for the after-hours. It is just too much for us. We old!
I mind still feels like I am in my 20's then I do something like trying to rope drop and close a park and my body is like oh no that is not happening anymore. I feel like adulthood goes by so much faster then when you are a kid.
Did you feel like the Swan felt like DISNEY? The location IS fantastic, but I am not sure it is "Disney" enough for me! But maybe we need to price it next time.
We loved the swan. It felt like any of the other resorts we have been at. I am guessing because of the location. We did go to the Disney resorts a lot stuff though. I am not sure we would like the Dolphin or Swan Reserve though. The Dolphin is just too big and seems way to busy. We never saw the Swan Reserve but with it across the street I feel it might lose some of that Disney feel. You can bee the price though
I like the hybrid of having an adult trip, but the kids are also nearby. That worked out well. I can't believe by now you are about to have a graduate and a senior. It makes me sad that as our kids get older it is harder to plan trips like this. So it sounds like you had one good last one!
Nick only has a few weeks left of school and it has been hard. He has hit that phase where he feels like he is done but he is not. We are going to rent his tux for Prom this weekend too. It is all coming too fast.

The school asked Elizabeth if she wanted to graduate early and I told her no. She is still to young to go off to college. She won't be 17 until the end of August. Plus I told her she can still take college classes at our community college and the state will pay for it. So she is doing that.

This is all happening way too fast. Vacations will be different going forward and not all will be with the kids so this trip was a nice ease into it. I am so glad we got to go too and this was a great opportunity for them. Nick has a possibility of going to Ireland with his college next year to march on St. Patrick's day. I hope we can make this work for him.

Wow, that WAS a rough January!

In my virtual academy, our students can graduate early but I almost always wish they wouldn't. JUST STAY YOUNG! You have your whole life to be old and work a job. But in reality, some of ours have circumstances where they are already working full time. For that, I am glad they have the chance to still earn a diploma despite all the hurdles in their life.

Doing college work in high school is such a blessing. My daughter is just a freshman but she wants to take lots of AP classes starting next year. I know it will be challenging. She also wants to apply for our Governor's Scholars program in the summer of her Junior year so that will take up a big chunk of our travel time. And so it begins!

Doing college work in high school is such a blessing. My daughter is just a freshman but she wants to take lots of AP classes starting next year. I know it will be challenging. She also wants to apply for our Governor's Scholars program in the summer of her Junior year so that will take up a big chunk of our travel time. And so it begins!
That is awesome. I work for a non-profit that gives out scholarships. Every bit helps. It is great that your Governor has one too. Our has one but it is super selective and only the top person of the class will get it.

Both kids took AP classes too. They are a lot of work.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter